PDA

View Full Version : Sasha re-signs w/ Lakers

TheNewbster
07-25-2008, 08:21 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10909373

I don't know...$5 million a year seems a bit too much for a guy like him..

fairandbalanced
07-25-2008, 08:22 PM
He is an above average shooter, he is worth every penny.

buzzin
07-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Why would they sign him for that much its so stupid now they cant really go get a center incase of injuries we could of got j.r. smith for less but i know he isnt as good but still why so much for a back up player

fairandbalanced
07-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Why would they sign him for that much its so stupid now they cant really go get a center incase of injuries we could of got j.r. smith for less but i know he isnt as good but still why so much for a back up player

He is the Lakers best Small forward.....that is why.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-25-2008, 08:26 PM
That is a lot of money for a guy like Sasha.

DenButsu
07-25-2008, 08:28 PM
thread title modified ("re-signs" hyphenated)

yojoe792
07-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Overpaid, maybe, doesn't really matter. He is a key player on the team, and a couple mill here or there doesn't really make a difference in the long run. This was a priority.

buzzin
07-25-2008, 08:34 PM
He is the Lakers best Small forward.....that is why.

sasha is not a small forward he backs up kobe so nice try with that and lamar is our best small foward

fairandbalanced
07-25-2008, 08:40 PM
sasha is not a small forward he backs up kobe so nice try with that and lamar is our best small foward

Lamar Odom is the most confused player in NBA, no one knows what position he plays, even Odom does not know what position he plays.

CowboysKB24
07-25-2008, 09:04 PM
I have no issue with it. He had a break out year and can potential be even better. Let's wait and see what happens. Odom gets paid 18 million a year I am more upset about that than giving Sasha 5 million a year. Lakers have made WAY WAY worse investments than that. I think it is a good one.

NY MeTro StAr
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
The effect of the EuroLeagues :(

Soon Mardy Collins will want 7 mill a year

_Sn1P3r_
07-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Still a good signing despite the cost. They wanted him back and paid him what he wanted to be paid in order for him to stay.

Bleeds Blue
07-25-2008, 09:38 PM
the guy shot 43 percent from downtown and can play some pesky d. it probably is a bit too much but im still happy. he was a very important part of last years team.

KG#1
07-25-2008, 09:44 PM
to much money for a good shooter and overrated defender

mamba24
07-25-2008, 09:58 PM

we still have our MLE. we have plenty to go get a big. i think it was a smart move. he will not pull a luke walton. he works too hard to come back and suck like luke did

mamba24
07-25-2008, 10:02 PM

uhhhhh odom aint no small forward... hes a power forward... thats where he has played as a laker and i think thats why hes being shopped around... we need a starting small forward... not a power forward playing the small forward position.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
07-25-2008, 10:08 PM
overpaid dudes not all that

Storch
07-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Good sign mitch.

Packersfan
07-25-2008, 10:22 PM
5 mil a year is 2 much for him. Him and turiaf were over-paid this offseason, the team made them look better.

Hotone1401
07-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, the Lakers may have overpaid but considering how much they are paying Vlad and Luke Walton, it really doesn't seem like it. Sasha is imroving every year and he has proven himself to be a key player in the Laker system. Now all the Lakers have to do is figure a way to get rid of Vlad and Luke's contracts.

I'm actually okay with the money he is receiving because if the Lakers didn't pay, he may well have went overseas to play. At that point, the only shooter on their team would be Vlad. :( Sasha's effort in the offseason and in games has given Mitch and the rest of the front office a reason to resign him. Some of you may say he is overrated but the kid is still young and he will only get better. I should point out that his shot is definitely not overrated. That boy can flat out shoot.

lakerboy
07-26-2008, 12:37 AM
It really doesn't matter whether we overpaid.

Sasha was our bench player.

He wasn't actually just Kobe's back up.

If you watch our games, he comes off the bench FINISHES the game..

DenButsu
07-26-2008, 01:26 AM
I was just about to post a link to the youtube video of Sasha getting pissed off on the bench and say if they're gonna pay him that kind of money they should include a clause in his contract that makes him agree not to do that anymore - but then I realized I'd probably have to give myself a baiting infraction for that and it wouldn't be worth the trouble. And then Lakers fans would just post the link to Melo getting ejected after he grabbed his throat anyways...

lakerboy
07-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Could you post that? I've never seen that.

DenButsu
07-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Could you post that? I've never seen that.

You're kidding, right? :rolleyes:

lakersrock
07-26-2008, 01:53 AM

IF you paid attention, you'd know Sasha plays PG, SG and SF. Most of the time he is at SG, but he plays all three. That said, Odom is NOT our best SF. He isn't even a SF at all. Our best SF is Trevor Ariza.

PRETTY BIRD
07-26-2008, 03:16 AM
what?

ok good!

Vinny642
07-26-2008, 03:23 AM
Lamar Odom is the most confused player in NBA, no one knows what position he plays, even Odom does not know what position he plays.

LOL When i read that i laughed.
I kno that guy i was arguing is gonna say something but what ever. Way too much money for a guy like that.

PRETTY BIRD
07-26-2008, 03:41 AM
what?

LakerzDQ
07-26-2008, 04:27 AM
I have no issue with it. He had a break out year and can potential be even better. Let's wait and see what happens. Odom gets paid 18 million a year I am more upset about that than giving Sasha 5 million a year. Lakers have made WAY WAY worse investments than that. I think it is a good one.

no he doesn't, at least not by the lakers.

it's overpaying, but if Buss is willing to do so to win games, I'm all for it.
I'm just worried he might get lazy after his paycheck.

LakerzDQ
07-26-2008, 04:28 AM
uhhhhh odom aint no small forward... hes a power forward... thats where he has played as a laker and i think thats why hes being shopped around... we need a starting small forward... not a power forward playing the small forward position.

he played small forward in previous seasons.

I remember starting lineups like Smush/Kobe/Odom/Kwame/Mihm.
you could argue who was the real center and who was the PF, Mihm or Kwame, but there was no doubt that Odom was the SF.

TheNewbster
07-26-2008, 05:59 AM
I understand what Laker fans mean when they say that Sasha's improving, but what I would use as comparison is Azibuike from Golden State who had signed an offer sheet from the Clippers for 3 years, $9 million. If you compare both price and the end production, Sasha simply was overpaid. Of course, Laker fans will insist to show that Sasha contributed greatly during the playoffs, but honestly, either player is a role/bench player...$2 million can help get you another player..$2 million can be added onto a contract and sway a player to sign with the Lakers...

lakerboy
07-26-2008, 06:04 AM
I understand what Laker fans mean when they say that Sasha's improving, but what I would use as comparison is Azibuike from Golden State who had signed an offer sheet from the Clippers for 3 years, $9 million. If you compare both price and the end production, Sasha simply was overpaid. Of course, Laker fans will insist to show that Sasha contributed greatly during the playoffs, but honestly, either player is a role/bench player...$2 million can help get you another player..$2 million can be added onto a contract and sway a player to sign with the Lakers...

What kind of player will you get with $2M?

This is the NBA baby. $2M will get you a Chris Mihm.

Tom81
07-26-2008, 06:06 AM
5 mil\year too much it's sick

TheNewbster
07-26-2008, 07:12 AM
What kind of player will you get with $2M?

This is the NBA baby. $2M will get you a Chris Mihm.

Actually, if you know how you're spending your money, $2 million will help you a lot, and spending less than $5 million can do that too...

- Eddie House; last year for Boston made $1.5 million (per ESPN site's 07-08 listing) and was a key contributor in the playoffs as a 3-point guy and rotation for their PG

- James Posey; last year for Boston made $3.2 million (ESPN) and did great and of course got that new contract

Spend your money right and you can win. Forking $5 million for Sasha is irresponsible. Are you going to honestly tell me that for $5 million the Lakers couldn't go out get themselves a similar player cheaper? Heck, during the draft, teams were willing to sell their picks (the league max payment for a pick is $3 million). New Orleans sold their pick to Portland at #27. Denver at #20 traded out to Charlotte, but with their cap needs, they'd be happy for more money instead (Look to the Camby trade to realize how desperate they are). At #20 or even #27 in the draft, there were plenty of sharpshooters out there you could've gotten, signed to a rookie contract CHEAP and still gotten what Sasha gives you per game.

But in the end I suppose, the Lakers didn't really think Sasha would cost them this much until the sudden idea of Europe emerged as a legit threat...but honestly..$5 million...so 2 Sasha's = pretty much 1 Corey Maggette, 1 Tony Parker, etc etc money wise...I don't know about that..

DenButsu
07-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Actually, if you know how you're spending your money, $2 million will help you a lot, and spending less than $5 million can do that too...

- Eddie House; last year for Boston made $1.5 million (per ESPN site's 07-08 listing) and was a key contributor in the playoffs as a 3-point guy and rotation for their PG

- James Posey; last year for Boston made $3.2 million (ESPN) and did great and of course got that new contract

Spend your money right and you can win. Forking $5 million for Sasha is irresponsible. Are you going to honestly tell me that for $5 million the Lakers couldn't go out get themselves a similar player cheaper? Heck, during the draft, teams were willing to sell their picks (the league max payment for a pick is $3 million). New Orleans sold their pick to Portland at #27. Denver at #20 traded out to Charlotte, but with their cap needs, they'd be happy for more money instead (Look to the Camby trade to realize how desperate they are). At #20 or even #27 in the draft, there were plenty of sharpshooters out there you could've gotten, signed to a rookie contract CHEAP and still gotten what Sasha gives you per game.

But in the end I suppose, the Lakers didn't really think Sasha would cost them this much until the sudden idea of Europe emerged as a legit threat...but honestly..$5 million...so 2 Sasha's = pretty much 1 Corey Maggette, 1 Tony Parker, etc etc money wise...I don't know about that..

That has a lot less to do with "being smart" than it does with being one of the few teams in the league that good players will take a pay cut to play for since they have a shot at a championship, or at least raising their profile by playing in a high profile market. The Nuggets were interested in Posey last summer, and Eddie Jones, and other players as well who all went to places like San Antonio, Boston, Dallas, etc.

That said, the Lakers are one of those teams, so they're in that select group that should be able to do better.