PDA

View Full Version : The offense looks like 2004 all over again only earlier and

Seyton
07-25-2008, 06:09 PM
with Marmol tanking and Wood and Eyre out, there is no one to turn to in the bullpen, which has been vastly over-rated throughout the season.

Perhaps Marmol will regain some of his form, but he has a longer track record of being average than he does dominant.

Howry it seems, as it does with all relief pitchers, is in a "miss" year. I've always found it interesting that relief pitchers seem to go in cycles that constitute full seasons as opposed to stretches of them.

Wood has been fantastic and Gaudin should be pretty good. Marshall looks as though he'll do well, but Lieber hardly gets any looks and Wuertz has been awful. Cotts isn't much better.

Offensively, D Lee's numbers remain nice looking but he's had way too many non-quality at-bats in recent weeks. Combine that with Ramirez's slump and Fukudome's utter uselessness the past month and you have a situation that is very hard to overcome.

Heck, throw in Soto slowing down as well. Hopefully D Lee and Ramirez get it going sooner rather than later.

Fukudome is a head scratcher. I'm not so sure he's worth $12,000,000 per year (even though he's only getting $7,000,000 this year). At least not as of yet. He's not even close at the plate.

So, to recap, the bullpen pretty much sucks and the part that doesn't suck is hurt. Our two best offensive players are stuck and our prize free agent acquistion, a right fielder, is hitting .270 with 7 home runs and 36 RBIs.

I know it's just a rough time right now, but the bullpen issues are valid and I think Fukudome's not beyond reproach. There's still 60 games to go so there's a lot of time left.

It's just frustrating to watch the past six or seven starts by the rotation go down the drain because of the offense or bullpen.

Does anyone get the feeling that as soon as the offense gets hot, the rotation will implode - or as Ramirez and Lee get it going Theriot will go into an 0 for 50 slump?

Oh well - just venting - nothing more.

By the way, I keep hearing that Matt Kemp is available from the Dodgers. I'm not proposing any trades, but does that name pique anybody's interest?

CubbieSteve
07-25-2008, 06:16 PM
There's still 60 games to go so there's a lot of time left.

Yes, there is a lot of time left. Don't worry, it's one loss. Go Stros.

Chazm
07-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Our BP is not over rated, it is still a great BP. Cotts has done well this year and you give him no credit. You point out Fuku's AVG and HR's....what about OBP!?

I swear, only 1st place team's fans cry about being in first place, when 3rd and 4th placed teams fan's would be happy enough to be in first.

captainatheism
07-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Our BP is not over rated, it is still a great BP. Cotts has done well this year and you give him no credit. You point out Fuku's AVG and HR's....what about OBP!?

OBP is a stat used by people with viable opinions.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-25-2008, 07:34 PM
YNH is this guy listed yet?

BUD Bleachers
07-25-2008, 07:50 PM
This team is not 2004. You vent, yet you fail to make your comparison, which makes little sense.

The 2004 team was a bunch of thumpers who relied on the long ball to win. Don't compare this season to 2004, please. That was a race to second place; this season is a different story.

The Brewers used the Sabathia trade as a springboard to confidence and success. We've used the Harden acquisition as security to rest on our laurels.

The timing of this slump sucks with the Brewers winning and playing their best baseball, while we're simply playing our worst.

Maybe losing 1st place will wake these guys up. Maybe the injuries to key people have affected this team more than we realize.

It's hard to lose games like today given the circumstances, that's for certain.

JimmyJunko
07-25-2008, 08:17 PM
D-Lee & Ramirez need to pick it up fast. I am sick of seeing Lee ground into Dbl plays & Ramirez popping. We are not going anywhere with Cedeno, Blanco & Johnson hitting bombs all by themselves. Our bench guys have done great this year but Lee & Ramirez are key to this whole thing. You cannot ask a bullpen to hold 1 run leads 3 times out of 4. Pinella needs to spark these guys before its to late.

Z-Knight
07-25-2008, 08:45 PM
This team is not 2004. You vent, yet you fail to make your comparison, which makes little sense.

The 2004 team was a bunch of thumpers who relied on the long ball to win. Don't compare this season to 2004, please. That was a race to second place; this season is a different story.

You sure about that??? Um...this past game, how many runs were scored by the Cubs on something other than a homerun? hmmm...zero. Yes, one game is not representative but we've not been able to string hits together and score runs in a very long time. Oh, and at this pace we'll be in a race for 3rd place soon enough.

CubFanSince84
07-25-2008, 08:50 PM
jeez people. get off the panic button!!!! It's July!!!!!!!
can we create a thread named "push your panic button here" so that way we can just group all these together?
this team is FAR better than 2004's team, even though the bullpen is most definitely weak.

You sure about that??? Um...this past game, how many runs were scored by the Cubs on something other than a homerun? hmmm...zero. Yes, one game is not representative but we've not been able to string hits together and score runs in a very long time. Oh, and at this pace we'll be in a race for 3rd place soon enough.

and as far as this goes?....you're taking a VERY small sample size. go back and look how many games we have only scored on homeruns...then look at how many times we've score on zero homeruns...take time to do the research and you'll see just how many games the team has WON without the benefit of a homerun.

PunkShizzle
07-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Your post is just that, venting. Only no one really cares to hear irrational venting as much as you seem to think.

BigBruceRogers
07-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah it looks like we are doomed. It might be time for another Lou tirade... with only 2 months left in the season someone needs to light a fire.

1 more week of this baseball and we will be out of the race for good.

damon berryhill
07-25-2008, 11:39 PM
with Marmol tanking and Wood and Eyre out, there is no one to turn to in the bullpen, which has been vastly over-rated throughout the season.

Perhaps Marmol will regain some of his form, but he has a longer track record of being average than he does dominant.

Howry it seems, as it does with all relief pitchers, is in a "miss" year. I've always found it interesting that relief pitchers seem to go in cycles that constitute full seasons as opposed to stretches of them.

Wood has been fantastic and Gaudin should be pretty good. Marshall looks as though he'll do well, but Lieber hardly gets any looks and Wuertz has been awful. Cotts isn't much better.

Offensively, D Lee's numbers remain nice looking but he's had way too many non-quality at-bats in recent weeks. Combine that with Ramirez's slump and Fukudome's utter uselessness the past month and you have a situation that is very hard to overcome.

Heck, throw in Soto slowing down as well. Hopefully D Lee and Ramirez get it going sooner rather than later.

Fukudome is a head scratcher. I'm not so sure he's worth $12,000,000 per year (even though he's only getting $7,000,000 this year). At least not as of yet. He's not even close at the plate.

So, to recap, the bullpen pretty much sucks and the part that doesn't suck is hurt. Our two best offensive players are stuck and our prize free agent acquistion, a right fielder, is hitting .270 with 7 home runs and 36 RBIs.

I know it's just a rough time right now, but the bullpen issues are valid and I think Fukudome's not beyond reproach. There's still 60 games to go so there's a lot of time left.

It's just frustrating to watch the past six or seven starts by the rotation go down the drain because of the offense or bullpen.

Does anyone get the feeling that as soon as the offense gets hot, the rotation will implode - or as Ramirez and Lee get it going Theriot will go into an 0 for 50 slump?

Oh well - just venting - nothing more.

By the way, I keep hearing that Matt Kemp is available from the Dodgers. I'm not proposing any trades, but does that name pique anybody's interest?

In what is becoming my mantra today: Simmer the heck down. Seriously. The doom and gloom of a lot of cubs fans drives me nuts. A level headed approach is the way to go, or you're gonna have a heart attack or a brain aneursym pretty darn soon, son.

I get it, we didn't start the second half off as well as we wanted. Combine that with a Brewers hot streak and BAM, we don't have as big of a lead. Good news is... we have 60 GAMES LEFT! Plenty of season to go, and the law of averages does seem to rule, so most players will come back to their median (except Howry, that dude just sucks right now...).

For now, take a deep breath, grab a beer (if of legal age, I would never condone underage drinking), hang out with some friends, and enjoy the world around you. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

damon berryhill
07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
By the way, i do love when people support things with quantifying stats like "doing pretty good" and "suck." It proves some very valid points. I am clearly convinced by such statements without a speck of tangible evidence.

cubsfreak19
07-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Well Neal Cotts has a 2.50 ERA. I would say that is pretty good he has pitched well. Marmol has been good as of late he just walked people yesterday but his stuff got him out of it. I wouldnt be surprised if the Cubs went and got a guy like Fuentes and Sherrill

NORTH10
07-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Well Neal Cotts has a 2.50 ERA. I would say that is pretty good he has pitched well. Marmol has been good as of late he just walked people yesterday but his stuff got him out of it. I wouldnt be surprised if the Cubs went and got a guy like Fuentes and Sherrill

i really doubt we get fuentes....sherrill may be likely....apparently, we need a 7th inning guy right now cuz howry is just horrific

The General
07-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah it looks like we are doomed. It might be time for another Lou tirade... with only 2 months left in the season someone needs to light a fire.

2 QUESTIONS

1. What is it that your smoking?
AND
2. Where can I get some?

CubbieSteve
07-26-2008, 12:38 AM

Is this a serious post or is it sarcastic? I can never tell with you. Because this is a stupid post. If it's sarcastic you need to do a better job of making it more evident and if it's serious then it's just dumb.

captainatheism
07-26-2008, 12:50 AM
2 QUESTIONS

AND
2. Where can I get some?

probably oregano, and he thinks it's really weed.

Rosh
07-26-2008, 01:07 AM
This post is filled with a lot of wrong.

cubfan23
07-26-2008, 02:42 AM
guys come on he was just venting, i also think it is to early to hit the panic but its understandable that he is frusted since the results haven't been as good as we've liked to start off the 2nd half of the season. Honestly though, we should create an All Vent thread for anyone who wants to complain about with this team and put there thoughts in that one thread....anyone else agree?

cubfan23
07-26-2008, 02:44 AM
2 QUESTIONS

AND
2. Where can I get some?

im pretty sure thats sarcasm but if its not then god help his soul!

TheDuckman
07-26-2008, 05:34 PM
You guys are unreal...*****ing when in last and now *****ing when in first...maybe the Cubs should consider becoming sellers at the trade deadline!

dbrown1225
07-26-2008, 05:41 PM
In what is becoming my mantra today: Simmer the heck down. Seriously. The doom and gloom of a lot of cubs fans drives me nuts. A level headed approach is the way to go, or you're gonna have a heart attack or a brain aneursym pretty darn soon, son.

I get it, we didn't start the second half off as well as we wanted. Combine that with a Brewers hot streak and BAM, we don't have as big of a lead. Good news is... we have 60 GAMES LEFT! Plenty of season to go, and the law of averages does seem to rule, so most players will come back to their median (except Howry, that dude just sucks right now...).

For now, take a deep breath, grab a beer (if of legal age, I would never condone underage drinking), hang out with some friends, and enjoy the world around you. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

I like you Damon Berryhill.

People are acting like every player in the lineup will remain cold until the end of the season. The Cubs are still leading the majors in OBP. The runs will come.

Seyton
07-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I acknowledged there are 60 games left. I acknowledged I was only venting. LOL.

No comparison to 2004? Umm, yeah - because we are losing and we are not scoring runs while getting good starting pitching - so, yeah, I think the comparison is pretty valid, especially since we're losing tough, close games. The fact that this team is configured differently matters how exactly?

Neal Cotts is good because he has an ERA of 2.45? Oh, thanks - I guess I'll just ignore the fact that his WHIP is around 2.00 with opponents hitting .300 against him. So he doesn't really come in and do his job, but since he gets hooked so quick and somebody else bails him out, he's pitching well?

Complaining when we're in first place? No. Complaining about the recent play period. Should we blindly cheer and be content that, for some unknown reason, "we should expect to come out of the team-wide slump in about a week, week and a half." You guys want statistics but you're more than willing to accept that?

Fukudome's production has been horrible the past two months. Look at his OBP for the year and you see .385. Look at it for the last month or two and it's a different story.

60 games - well, 59 now - is a lot of games, but if we continue to play .400 ball the next 20 games, playing .600 the 40 after that won't matter because, you see, there are other teams that are also trying to win. DWS.

You can be as cool as you want. I'm relaxed, I'm just venting. But even so - it doesn't stop me from "seeing" what's going on right now. I'm as hopeful as anyone that it turns around as soon as possible. The dog days of summer are definitely upon us - but not to acknowledge it? Well, then you just don't want to see it.

JimmyJunko
07-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I have a feeling the Cubs offense will explode.....not implode, on the Brewers in Milwaukee. Florida has our number and it is hard to swallow but its a fact. The crew really should be careful with a pissed off bunch of Cubs coming there way. This should be a great series.

cubsfreak19
07-26-2008, 11:07 PM
The crew really should be careful with a pissed off bunch of Cubs coming there way. This should be a great series.

I agree very much with you. We have always played very well offensively in Milwaukee. We played wll there last year as well. This is a big series i would be happy with 2 in Milwaukee considering the way we have played but i know we could take 3 out of 4 and shut the brewer fans up.