PDA

View Full Version : Jazz match offer sheet for C.J. Miles

x_notorious
07-25-2008, 06:05 PM
The Jazz have decided to match Oklahoma City's four-year, $15 million offer sheet for restricted free agent C.J. Miles, according to unnamed sources.
Miles will stay with Utah despite his desire to play elsewhere. He has also been on coach Jerry Sloan's bad side, and didn't help his case by opting to skip Summer League. That said, the Jazz must have faith in him to shell out nearly $4 million a year, and his retention means Morris Almond is unlikely to make the opening day roster.

rotoworld

earschicken
07-25-2008, 06:05 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_9998251

earschicken
07-25-2008, 06:15 PM
This must mean that the Jazz are intent on moving AK this year. I can't see how it makes any sense to keep CJ unless they plan to shed some cap room and free up minutes at the 3 for CJ. The single easiest way to do both is to get rid of AK and I'm all for it. We still need some upgrades, but chucking AK frees room to keep Boozer, Oku, Korver, or at least gives us options.

JAZZNC
07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Man, I personally can't believe that they kept him. It does certainly look like they are going to be making a big move here sometime soon. If they don't they just won't have the cap to make things work after this season. I guess we'll just have to sit back and wait to see what happens.

Raupie
07-25-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm happy that the Jazz matched the offer and kept him.

Miles did get some playing time in the playoffs... some unexpected minutes. So it looked like he was getting increased time at the end there.

The jazz have some options now next year. Korver will probably opt out... so who knows if they will resign him.... If not, they have CJ then as his replacement. Right now there are soo many options. I'm curious to see what happens next.

Utahjazzfan18
07-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah it definitely seems like a big trade is in the works for the jazz. It'll be interesting to see if an AK trade happens before the season begins. For 15 million dollars Sloan better give him some playing time this year. I wish I knew what Oconnor was planning behind closed doors:confused:

jimbobjarree
07-25-2008, 09:38 PM
what the hell is going on, we cant afford this?

is this just a if we cant have him nobody can kinda signing?

sportsnutzz
07-25-2008, 11:04 PM
what the hell..... so this means Almond wont make the team now?? How the hell do we keep someone who doesn't want to play here, over someone who has a lot of upside like Almond.... I am confused by this.

I don't know..... I like CJ more than Almond, I just hope he will be happy and get more playing time, and then show us what we have all seen in him.

futureman
07-26-2008, 08:05 AM
This may not necessarily mean a big trade will happen but I'm almost certain that they will move almond and possibly fess. It makes no sense for us to keep almond on the team where he will be nothing more than the fourth option. I say trade him, fess, and collins to indiana for jeff foster. He also has an expiring contract. What we need is a good backup center i mean really, that is our only team need.

bw2893
07-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Indiana won't give up foster unless they get another C in return. Bird has made that clear. And no, the jazz don't just need a good back up C, they need CAP SPACE even more. The whole philosophy behind trading AK isn't becuase he's a bad player, it's because he is WAY too over-paid for what he does. Now with sigining CJ at this point almost guarantees that we will not be able to afford Boozer, unless he takes a significant pay-cut, which won't happen. I agree with you a big trade isn't guaranteed to happen, but I could easily see the jazz packaging CJ with AK and maybe someone else to get another player or player(s), which in my opinion, is a big trade.

HotRodsHair
07-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Fess is a gonner. Particularly with his poor showing this review.

sportsnutzz
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I think we will be seeing another trade VERY soon. I feel like they have to be really close to trading AK to keep CJ. Otherwise this could be a mistake to sign CJ and just assume they can trade AK. I bet you there is something in the works as we speak. :D

bw2893
07-26-2008, 02:42 PM
"I think we will be seeing another trade VERY soon. I feel like they have to be really close to trading AK to keep CJ. Otherwise this could be a mistake to sign CJ and just assume they can trade AK. I bet you there is something in the works as we speak."

I really hope you're right. I guess it wouldn't be terrible if the jazz didn't trade AK immediatley. They still have until Feburary and at that point, more of his contract will be spent, but at the same time, if they are going to trade him, it would be nice to get the other player now, so he can learn to adapt into the jazz system.

HotRodsHair
07-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm kind of surprised that so many folks think that signing CJ and not trading AK is such a bad thing. I mean, we are talking about keeping this contender in place for one more season. Is that really so bad? I know, I know, the salary cap. Big whoop. We will face that when we must, and about the time we will be faced with the full magnitude of it, guess what? We get NY's lottery pick. We will survive.

There are way worse positions to be in. How would you like to be the Knicks, with one of the worst teams in the league, one of the worst salary cap situations in the league, and you owe some playoff contender your first rounder in 2010?

That's what I thought.

earschicken
07-26-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't think that CJ, in his role last year at least, was essential to our success. With the little playing time he got, I'd hardly call him a major reason we were a contender. So it seems like you only keep a guy like that at this salary if you plan to utilize him more and give him a good shot at some minutes. That makes me think we're going to address our need to shed salary now by getting rid of AK. The later we address AK's salary, the more desperate we'll be, and the desperate team always gets screwed in a trade.

I'd sure hate to be in the Knicks' position, but we're a far cry from there, thank God! Don't you think? I don't think trading AK makes us the Knicks. This organization has a lot to look forward to in the future and AK is not a make or break player but he does have a make or break salary.

bw2893
07-26-2008, 11:22 PM
"I don't think that CJ, in his role last year at least, was essential to our success. With the little playing time he got, I'd hardly call him a major reason we were a contender. So it seems like you only keep a guy like that at this salary if you plan to utilize him more and give him a good shot at some minutes. That makes me think we're going to address our need to shed salary now by getting rid of AK. The later we address AK's salary, the more desperate we'll be, and the desperate team always gets screwed in a trade.

I'd sure hate to be in the Knicks' position, but we're a far cry from there, thank God! Don't you think? I don't think trading AK makes us the Knicks. This organization has a lot to look forward to in the future and AK is not a make or break player but he does have a make or break salary."

I couldn't have said it better.

sportsnutzz
07-27-2008, 12:13 AM
I forgot about the Knicks pick we have, that is kind of funny

chipurmunki
07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
we ain't got nothing to worry about. i'm with hotrod on this one. i was surprised we matched cj. he hasn't shown the drive to get better. he just wants to get paid. the signing don't mean nothing though. the jazz know what they're doing. they know the ramifications of the salary cap and everything involved. which is why they're making the decisions and not us. i mean, o'connor has been fantastic thus far. i have no reason to think he'll screw us over now.

Lo Porto
07-27-2008, 09:50 PM
The Knicks are interesting. They have a lot of contracts and not any production. However, they do have a lot of interest in AK. D'Antoni has wanted AK for his system for quite some time. He even looked into trading the very popular Shawn Marion for AK the last few years. Although New York doesn't want to bring in extra money that will affect their ability to sign LeBron in 2010, D'Antoni might make a play at AK using Marbury's contract.

New York might take AK, Harpring and Collins for Marbury, Jared Jeffries and David Lee. In 2010, AK will only be making about $10 million more than Jeffries, but AK would be a lot better for D'Antoni's system. Lee does not fit New York's system, and they can't afford to re-sign him to a contract anyway. That's why Lee has been on the trade block all summer, but he might be a great fit for Utah. Jeffries might not do wonders for Utah, but he is a big hustle guy who can play the 3 or 4. At only $6+ a year, he would help the Jazz financial situation quite a bit over the next few years.

Of course Utah would waive Marbury immediately...

HotRodsHair
07-28-2008, 07:04 AM
I don't think that CJ, in his role last year at least, was essential to our success. With the little playing time he got, I'd hardly call him a major reason we were a contender. So it seems like you only keep a guy like that at this salary if you plan to utilize him more and give him a good shot at some minutes. That makes me think we're going to address our need to shed salary now by getting rid of AK. The later we address AK's salary, the more desperate we'll be, and the desperate team always gets screwed in a trade.

I'd sure hate to be in the Knicks' position, but we're a far cry from there, thank God! Don't you think? I don't think trading AK makes us the Knicks. This organization has a lot to look forward to in the future and AK is not a make or break player but he does have a make or break salary.

Not so, my friend. When AK enters the last year of his deal, his contract will become one of the most valuable commodities on the trade market.

I agree with your sentiments about CJ. By signing him to this deal the front office has signalled their intent to consider him a big piece in the future of this team. It will be fun to see him grow.

jimbobjarree
07-28-2008, 09:55 AM
plus now he knows he has a contract for four years he'l show more commitment to the team, as the past few summers he hasn't known where he'l be playing by the end of the summer.

HotRodsHair
07-28-2008, 11:04 AM
I hope you're right jimbob. My fear is that his (assumed) lack of effort and commitment to date will be magnified by the security of guaranteed long term money.

I certainly don't want anyone from NY's team. I would consider them to be psychologically damaged goods. Talk about learning how to slack, underachieve, lose at an incredible pace, and do it all effortlessly! No thanks. I want none of that.

However, I thought it interesting in todays article in the DN that Deron stated the main focus for next season improvement will be on the defensive end. He made it clear that they have no problem scoring, they just need to tighten up the other end. I think AK will be a key factor in such a defensive resurgence.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
almost 4 mill a year thats a bad sign

futureman
08-04-2008, 09:48 AM
It's not really a bad sign if you knew how many games he won for us in the starting lineup when AK was injured.

jimbobjarree
08-04-2008, 11:31 AM
is he the insurance policy if we traded AK or Harpring, or when Harpring expires or gets injured...and when will matt decide to retire from the game?

HotRodsHair
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Teams that have more than one star player are almost forced to fill in around them either through the draft or mid level exception free agency. And if those teams have winning stability, they don't dip into the lottery frequently enough to select the players most ready to help out immediately. Those teams can only continue their success by keeping the players they invest two or three years in.

Since we have a Rocket fan visiting here, I'll compare the Jazz and Rocket futures.

The Rockets have traded away a very promising first round player from this years draft, and next years draft pick for Artest who has a one year deal. If Artest leaves after next season the Rockets will have little hope of filling in around their two stars outside of mid level exception free agents. They are even at risk of losing Landry to an overseas contract.

In contrast, the Jazz have stocked NY's first rounder, and have a committed first rounder devoted to Philly over the next several years, but have kept their first and second rounders and developed them over the last several years. Guys like Brewer, DWill, Millsap, Koufos, Almond, Tomic and CJ are ours for the foreseeable future.

The Jazz are planning to be contenders for many years in a row, while the Rockets are geared up for a one year run, and hope like crazy that they don't face a serious downturn as TMac ages over the next few years, because there won't be any additions to that talent base this year or next.

futureman
08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Seeing as the AK trade will probably never happen and we do lose boozer. I wouldn't mind us keeping korver, memo and millsap on the team in 2010 and then taking a power forward in the 2010 draft with the knicks pick. So at this point I think booz er is pretty expendable if he doesn't show his worth next season.

sportsnutzz
08-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Seeing as the AK trade will probably never happen and we do lose boozer. I wouldn't mind us keeping korver, memo and millsap on the team in 2010 and then taking a power forward in the 2010 draft with the knicks pick. So at this point I think boozer is pretty expendable if he doesn't show his worth next season.

How didn't he show his worth last season? Can you get over the playoffs? I totally understand people getting upset about his defense but A: how many power forwards are honestly better than boozer in the league? B: how many of those are going to come here? He isn't perfect but holy crap I still can't get over how hard people are on him. Honestly if I was boozer I would leave the jazz. I brought this up before but I went to a jazz game and the fans actually started booing Boozer as he came out onto the floor... I was disgusted. My girlfriend is from Cleveland and she looked at me and said "Kyle your team is booing its own player, what kind of fans boo there own player?" Also let me make this clear this wasn't a couple fans this was a huge amount of the Arena. And it really hasn't stopped anything he does wrong fans crucify him for it. So that fans have treated him like ^@$# and he can go get a huge paycheck somewhere else? Yeah I would go to, but its funny the same people who sit here and rag on him for not being loyal and how he gives up on D, are showing the same kind of qualities as fans.

джаз
08-20-2008, 11:27 PM
The fans aren't "booing" Boozer, they are "Boo"zering Boozer. A lot of players will get that cheer when their last name sounds simular to boo. That happens every single home game.

You want to hear real boo's, go to a Jazz home game when they play the Lakers...