PDA

View Full Version : Why the "threat'' of Europe signing players is actually GOOD

TheNewbster
07-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Naturally the idea of Europe "stealing" away our talent is terrfying for teams that could see their deep benches vanish, but in the long run, this is actually a good thing. Think of basketball in Europe as soccer in the US; we like the game of soccer, we play it, but truthfully..it's not even close to the sport we really care about. Enter Europe's new version of MLS where all the over-the-hill NBA stars can go to make more money. Will any of our premier talent go there? No. Only the top talent of Europe will be somewhat missed if they don't come over. But let's now look at the positives:

All aging stars will leave for the money, keeping the talent pool in the US at a high, and not declining rate. Does anyone think Dallas wouldn't mind "selling" its contract of Kidd to some European team and gaining some cash and all that cap space back? Do you think the Knicks wouldn't mind selling their ENTIRE ROSTER to Europe and simply rebuild? Imagine all those overpaid players at the end of their careers and contracts; sell them Europe and let teams rebuild faster. Sure, occaisonally one good player will leave, but in the end, the positives outweight the negatives.

Imagine the following players who are big names, could sell in Europe, but vastly UNDERPERFORM their contracts; doesnt' mean they aren't talented..:(As per ESPN's information for 07-08)

- Stephon Marbury, Knicks, $19,012,500
- Jason Kidd, Mavericks, $19,728,000
- Lamar Odom, Lakers, $13,248,596
- Jermaine O'Neal, Toronto, $19,728,000
- Kenyon Martin, Denver, $13,250,000
- Shaquille O'Neal, Suns, $21,000,000

Worried a star player or key player will leave that you want to keep? This allows you to save money and pay 'em better. So what are your thoughts?

JWalk126
07-25-2008, 05:34 PM
aging stars usually sign 2 game contracts in Finland (Pippen & Rodman) :D

bogdanrom
07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah that sort of makes sense. Both league benefit. The Eurolegue gets the old "Superstars" and the NBA gets rid of their ridiculous contracts.

JWalk126
07-25-2008, 05:39 PM
I dont think the Euroleague has any teams from Finland

BlondeBomber41
07-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Well seeing that the players leaving are young players, this kinda makes no sense...

In reality its horrible for the NBA. Now we are either going to see average players like Josh Childress and Sasha Vujacic sign for alot more than they are worth in the NBA or leave the NBA. Its lose lose for the NBA.

flyboy193
07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
it can only make it worst losing exciting players like Josh Childress makes the league boring

SAVAGE CLAW
07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
The REAL menace is yet to come out.

Everybody i read asumes that superstars wouldnt come over to europe. or would require 40 million Dollars ( Wade) to do so.

Ok im gonna tell you a fact:

Real Madrid and Barcelona FC . their Main Branch is Soccer, and 80% of their budget goes into soccer but they mantain other branches like handball, indoor soccer, hockey etc etc.

That Includes Basketball.

They usually spend in basketball "only" like 20 million euros because they see the game as "non profitable" and they just mantain the section for sheer arrogance.

Ok this years budget for Real Madrid is 400 millions EUROS and Barcelonas 350 Million Euros yes you got it thats 5 times the salary cap on the Nba.

OK now lets say they look at what olympiakos has done, lets say Childress comes and Olympiakos wins euroleague, Josh shines like a star, and the sales of his Shirt go skyrocket plus he is a comertial impact .

Ok now lets put yourselves in the minds of Real Madrids and Barcelonas president and think: " Well if a lousy reserve made that big an impact and earned that much money for Olympiakos....what could be the ABSOLUTE impact if i got Lebron James! that would be Millions in t-srhits and merchandising sold, and a coup that would put my teams fame into the stars, it would even work FINANCIALLY".

So after taking this in consideration he just adds 50 more millions to the Budget and makes it 450 millions, but this time they invest 100 millions instead of 20 into the basketball team.

Then they can just offer Lebron like 40 TAX FREE, (all house car and telephone expenses paid) Million Euros.

You have to add for his ego that he would be THE MAN , a mythic god in europe, a pioneer , the first step to build a new church, all would start and finish with him in euroleague, that situation has only had 1 name ever Jordan was = NBA so Lebron being = to WORLD BASKET, that is enticing isnt it?

And of course shoes companys wouldnt matter because they would only lose a little part of American market since a lot of people would still buy Lebrons madrid or Barcelona Shirt and they would gain ALL of the European Market.

So.... Dont be so confident on stars not traveling to Europe.

ruslan898
07-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I totally disagree with you. NBA's salary system is already bad, with its huge contracts and under performing players. International threat will be another bargaining chip for the players to demand even higher contracts from the NBA teams. Its already happening, many of these players tell their respective NBA teams that they might be going to Europe.

JAZZNC
07-25-2008, 11:40 PM
In all honestly how many American basketball players are going to leave? Little to none. People want to be in the NBA, people want to be where everybody speaks their own language. It may keep more foreign players in their respective leagues but some will still come over and I doubt that any Kobe's, Duncan's, Paul's, Nash's, KG's, ect. will go to Europe. It's no big deal yet.....

bogdanrom
07-26-2008, 12:39 AM
No Superstar player, like Kobe, Lebron and others will leave during their prime, but when they get older and the contracts from Europe get bigger than NBA's(if they get higher) they WILL go to Europe

lakerboy
07-26-2008, 12:39 AM
People just go where the money is. Eventually the NBA will have to give more $$ to players. Right now the salary cap is just so lousy, they should take the luxury tax off, or at least higher it.

Hellcrooner
07-26-2008, 03:09 AM
The first one will eb the most difficult, once a prime level star on his prime decides to make the jump, then Ragnarok will come.

ItsTheLastAce
07-26-2008, 03:47 AM
I think that if europe starts luring more players away from the nba, the nba will be forced to raise the salary cap in order to close the gap on how much each league can offer players.

arlubas
07-26-2008, 07:49 AM
The REAL menace is yet to come out.

Everybody i read asumes that superstars wouldnt come over to europe. or would require 40 million Dollars ( Wade) to do so.

Ok im gonna tell you a fact:

Real Madrid and Barcelona FC . their Main Branch is Soccer, and 80% of their budget goes into soccer but they mantain other branches like handball, indoor soccer, hockey etc etc.

That Includes Basketball.

They usually spend in basketball "only" like 20 million euros because they see the game as "non profitable" and they just mantain the section for sheer arrogance.

Ok this years budget for Real Madrid is 400 millions EUROS and Barcelonas 350 Million Euros yes you got it thats 5 times the salary cap on the Nba.

OK now lets say they look at what olympiakos has done, lets say Childress comes and Olympiakos wins euroleague, Josh shines like a star, and the sales of his Shirt go skyrocket plus he is a comertial impact .

Ok now lets put yourselves in the minds of Real Madrids and Barcelonas president and think: " Well if a lousy reserve made that big an impact and earned that much money for Olympiakos....what could be the ABSOLUTE impact if i got Lebron James! that would be Millions in t-srhits and merchandising sold, and a coup that would put my teams fame into the stars, it would even work FINANCIALLY".

So after taking this in consideration he just adds 50 more millions to the Budget and makes it 450 millions, but this time they invest 100 millions instead of 20 into the basketball team.

Then they can just offer Lebron like 40 TAX FREE, (all house car and telephone expenses paid) Million Euros.

You have to add for his ego that he would be THE MAN , a mythic god in europe, a pioneer , the first step to build a new church, all would start and finish with him in euroleague, that situation has only had 1 name ever Jordan was = NBA so Lebron being = to WORLD BASKET, that is enticing isnt it?

And of course shoes companys wouldnt matter because they would only lose a little part of American market since a lot of people would still buy Lebrons madrid or Barcelona Shirt and they would gain ALL of the European Market.

So.... Dont be so confident on stars not traveling to Europe.

First of all Childress isn't a lousy reserve, he is a starter on any team that doesn't have the log jam at SF the Hawks have had for the past several years. I'm not saying he's one of the best SFs but he sure as hell could've been a starter on a number of NBA teams in need at that position.

Secondly a player the caliber of Lebron is never gonna come to a European team because it's not only the contract he has with his team but all the other money he makes from endorsements, jersey sales, TV and media appearances etc. The US is a far bigger market for the real NBA superstars to leave behind. But I do believe that role players like Childress will bolt more and more as years go by.

Tblaze
07-26-2008, 08:02 AM
I live in europe myself but I hate this is happening. The reason I don't really like following soccer is that it's too much based on money alone... some ****** club will get bought by some rich russian oil mr and they pump in millions and millions and suddenly become one of the best teams... that's what I love about the nba. Money-wise there's not much you can add to your franchise except pay over the tax, or buy draft picks. But paying over the cap is so expensive that not many owners would be willing to. This keeps the fact that it takes skill to be good in the nba, not money alone. I really like the idea of salary cap and with these players going to europe, it's really going to be difficult maintaining it.

bogdanrom
07-26-2008, 07:49 PM
I live in europe myself but I hate this is happening. The reason I don't really like following soccer is that it's too much based on money alone... some ****** club will get bought by some rich russian oil mr and they pump in millions and millions and suddenly become one of the best teams... that's what I love about the nba. Money-wise there's not much you can add to your franchise except pay over the tax, or buy draft picks. But paying over the cap is so expensive that not many owners would be willing to. This keeps the fact that it takes skill to be good in the nba, not money alone. I really like the idea of salary cap and with these players going to europe, it's really going to be difficult maintaining it.

Yeah I agree with you. Having a determined amount of money that you can spend each year makes teams think a lot about who they are signing. If we didn't have the salary cap, rich cities and rich owners will have the best teams. Mark Cuban will spend like 1 billion each year. New York ,Los Angeles, Miami, they would all have really good teams.

ARMIN12NBA
07-26-2008, 08:02 PM
It's funny you mention Kidd because Jason Kidd recently said in an interview that when he retires from the NBA, he would like to play in Europe, which would reward his type of game of playing with smarts and experience instead of a lot of athleticism.

ee
07-26-2008, 08:05 PM
No team wants to commit long term to these players unless they're all star material.....2010 Deep Free Agency is one main reason why no one wants to make a bigger offer than the Exeptions....

TheWaterboy
07-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Or, we have to worry about young European talent staying there instead of playing in the NBA.

Vidball
07-27-2008, 02:22 AM
If quite a few good players go overseas, look for a big change in the Collective Bargaining Agreement in 2011 (when the current CBA expires). If Europe steals too much talent there's a good chance the salary cap is done away with (along with the luxury tax) in exchange for player contracts that aren't completely guaranteed....not really the way the NFL is, but giving teams Amnesty provisions. This could end up hurting some smaller markets, but players would have no reason to go overseas and the big city teams (which the league likes to see on top) will have an easier time signing big name players. It would also make trades more legit...expiring contracts would no longer equal All-Stars in return and fairer trades could be made because salaries wouldn't need to match up.