PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Raymond Felton? Why isn't he on Deron or CP3's level?

JordansBulls
07-25-2008, 12:27 PM
What happened to Raymond Felton? Why isn't he on Deron or CP3's level? All 3 PG's were elite coming into the NBA and all were expected to be pretty close in comparsion. However, Felton for some reason is not as good as either Deron or CP3. Why is this the case? What happened with him? Was he is just in a worse situation where he couldn't develop?

DQL
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Bad coaching staff

CowboysKB24
07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Injury last year slowed him down. I would not count him out just yet. I think has lots of potential and still could become a great PG. I don't think he will ever be on CP3s or Williams level. They are the two best in the league right now.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I think he is more valued as a true PG his percentages aren't very good at all.

innovator
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
bad coaching staff and he is only the 4th option of the cats

RocketsRule
07-25-2008, 12:43 PM
He is a solid PG, but he's team isn't winning and he's had a numerous amount of injuries. However, if he keeps getting better he will be one hell of a PG.

Joshtd1
07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
He just isnt as good..

MKAUF280
07-25-2008, 12:56 PM
He's on Charlotte, and I don't know how that's helped any young talent progress to true potential.
Also, he's a Point Guard that relies a lot on his jump shot, where D-Will and Cp3 can get to the rim with ease. He also doesn't have a David West or Carlos Boozer.
Plus, he kind of sucks

ZHawk1123
07-25-2008, 01:02 PM
He just isn't that good really... I mean he is decent... But not as talented...

Thatruth32
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
He just isnt as good..

simple as that

Hawkeye15
07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
His court vision is nowhere near those two, and the talent level surrounding him isn't as good. He is a second tier point, With TJ Ford for example. But he is still pretty young, could benefit with some talent around him.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Forgot to add, Deron Williams was a chubby off guard in college. Dee Brown was the pg at Illinois. Nobody knew Williams would get serious, lose weight, and turn himself into what he is now. By no means was he classified with Paul and Felton

29$JerZ
07-25-2008, 01:20 PM
PG with no Front court to do damage with. Great PG but his assist don't really result in wins.

Jay22Redd
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
he's not leading his team to the playoffs

durqtitan
07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I thought he was going to be at that level, but in the NBA he is a bit of a tweener. In college he looked like a true PG. On this level he looks like a 2nd rate PG and a 2nd rate SG put into one player. Who knows maybe the kid will put it all together somehow and shock us all

IndiansFan337
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Forgot to add, Deron Williams was a chubby off guard in college. Dee Brown was the pg at Illinois. Nobody knew Williams would get serious, lose weight, and turn himself into what he is now. By no means was he classified with Paul and Felton

What are you talking about? :confused:

He was obviously classified with them, otherwise he wouldn't have been drafted above both of the aforementioned names. He played off the ball some in college, mainly because he was bigger than Dee Brown & a better shooter. Everyone knew he could distribute & handle the ball well. That's why he went so high in that Draft.

OaklandsFinest
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Either this year or next year is gonna be his coming out party, he will be a very good point guard. Right now he plays in Charlotte and no one gets love out there. Plus Larry Brown will help him progress.

DerekRE_3
07-25-2008, 01:45 PM
It's a number of things...

1. He was screwed from the beginning when the Bobcats coaching staff put him at the SG position next to Brevin Knight and Jeff McGinnis his first two years in the league. He is not a SG, but the coaches put him there. That has really stunted his growth at the point guard position.

2. He's on the Bobcats so you never hear about him.

3. He shoots a bad percentage from the field. Mostly because he has the ball in his hands when the shot clock is going down, that pushes his FG% down a lot. The Cats don't execute well so this happens often.

4. He does have talent around him but guys like Gerald Wallace and Jason Richardson can create their own shots, not giving Felton assist opportunities.

5. I think he was just picked too early. The Bobcats drafted out of need and took the best pg remaining, which happened to be Felton.

durqtitan
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM
It's a number of things...

1. He was screwed from the beginning when the Bobcats coaching staff put him at the SG position next to Brevin Knight and Jeff McGinnis his first two years in the league. He is not a SG, but the coaches put him there. That has really stunted his growth at the point guard position.

2. He's on the Bobcats so you never hear about him.

3. He shoots a bad percentage from the field. Mostly because he has the ball in his hands when the shot clock is going down, that pushes his FG% down a lot. The Cats don't execute well so this happens often.

4. He does have talent around him but guys like Gerald Wallace and Jason Richardson can create their own shots, not giving Felton assist opportunities.

5. I think he was just picked too early. The Bobcats drafted out of need and took the best pg remaining, which happened to be Felton.

Really good points! I did not realize he actually had to play SG in the league for two years, which is probably why he appears as a pg/sg tweener as I said earlier. Also, I like what you said about Wallace and Richardson. It is not easy to get assist when your two main offensive weapons are players who are better at creating their own offense.

hgtiger32
07-25-2008, 02:13 PM
i think it's because he's not as explosive and isn't as smooth as Paul and Williams....P & W are so smotth and clam and it seems like Felton is so ...idk..."huried, rushed"...just my thoughts

C-Webb
07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
What are you talking about? :confused:

He was obviously classified with them, otherwise he wouldn't have been drafted above both of the aforementioned names. He played off the ball some in college, mainly because he was bigger than Dee Brown & a better shooter. Everyone knew he could distribute & handle the ball well. That's why he went so high in that Draft.

Good comments, I was about to say the exact same thing before seeing your comments. At Illinois he played a combo guard more because Dee Brown was also on the team and Deron was the much better shooter, but he was slated and worked out as a PG from the get-go. He was on par with Paul during the draft, and both were slated ahead of Felton. He ended up being the first of the 3 picked, so I think it is obvious he was in their class.

If Felton could shoot he would be performing much better. Defenses are slacking off of him and he can't adjust. Doesn't help that Charlotte has players around him that all like to play 1on1 which isn't easy for him to create. He should be able to do more on the break though with G-Wall and J-Rich.

J-N-M-ETS4LYF
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
He hasnt performed at the same level as those two... But its really amazing how those two are probably the two best in the game right now..... BUt i mean he was always fighting for minutes with brevin Knight for a while.. and liek some1 said up there... Jeff mciniss... PAul and williams on the other hand were declared the Point guards of the future... and they were given a fair shot right off the bat.. they started right away.. and Played big time minutres right away... Felton never got the chance...

Also like man yof u said... The talent that is around him isnt as great as the other two... Deron as a lot of shooters on his team with Ak 47, and Memhet.. and more.. He get a lot of assits from catch and shooots from those guys.. And He has the benegit of playing for a great coach in jerry sloan... Let not forget he coached on of the best pg's in the game in john stockton.. So Im sure the coaching helped a bit...

Cp3 is amazing.. HEs a lot stronger than Felton as well... He also has some good shooters around him.. in Peja and pargo.. but the overall talent on those two teams are a lot better than the bobcats.... And lets not 4get BAron has Byronn scott as well... who also coached a pretty good Pg in Jason Kidd....

So with alll thats.. I think the diference is obvious... He has been very unfortunate.. he might not ever be as good.. but we will never kno until he gets a fair shot.. and BObcats just made it worse for him by draft augustine... I'm sure he will loose minutes to him as well... Hope he gets traded. Larry brown should help a bit though...

I personally think he has the potential to be a really godo wuality pg in the NBa.... way above average..He has played well for the situation he has been him.. i think he was top 6 in ast last year somthing of that sort... I think he could be an all star one day.

fresh prince
07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Im predicting a breakout year for Felton and The Cats as long as they keep Okafor and May can get healthy and play into the 2nd half I think they make the playoffs..

oldenpolynice
07-25-2008, 03:13 PM
No post presence, horrible coaching staff (until Brown arrived this season), and a stunning lack of consistency.