PDA

View Full Version : Sick Minor League Brawl

nyyfan4life
07-25-2008, 02:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=3504480

There is also a video in that ESPN link along with the story.

Fan goes to hospital, 17 ejected after minor league brawl

DAYTON, Ohio -- Fifteen players and both managers were ejected -- and a fan was sent to the hospital -- following a 10-minute, benches-clearing brawl in a Class-A minor league game between affiliates of the Cincinnati Reds and Chicago Cubs on Thursday night.

The ejections were reversed by the league president George Spelius and the game was completed with Dayton winning 6-5.

The fan was taken to the hospital after being hit by a ball thrown by Peoria (Cubs) pitcher Julio Castillo, who was throwing at the Dayton (Reds) dugout but missed during the first-inning melee between Midwest League teams.

Castillo was arrested and faces one count of felonious assault. He is in the Montgomery County Jail and has a court appearance Friday.

After a Peoria player was hit in the top of the first, Castillo hit two batters in the bottom half -- one in the head. The second hit batsmen by Castillo, Angel Cabrerra, made an aggressive slide into second to break up a double play. Castillo followed that by throwing his next pitch up-and-in to the next Dayton batter, prompting Dayton manager Donnie Scott to complain to the home plate umpire. Interim Peoria manager Carmelo Martinez -- filling in for Ryne Sanberg -- came onto the field to join the discussion.

The two managers began arguing, and when Martinez pushed Scott, the benches emptied.

Dayton shortstop Zack Cozart had to leave the game after being hit in the head with a pitch and Peoria second baseman Gian Guzman went out with a broken left leg, the Dayton Daily News reported.

During an hour-long delay, the teams protested the ejections by phone to league president George Spelius, saying they didn't want pitchers playing in the outfield to complete the game.

Spelius will take appropriate action once video footage of the game has been reviewed, Dayton general manager Gary Mayse said in a statement.

A telephone message left by The Associated Press left for Reds general manager Walt Jocketty, who attended the game, was not immediately returned.

Don't know if this was posted though.

Another vid of the brawl: http://youtube.com/watch?v=e36dZAmW8JU

vladdy#27
07-25-2008, 03:15 AM
that #5 is crazy

HighVelocity
07-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Castillo is going to regret what he did. He must be crazy for attempting to hit a player on the other team with a baseball. He missed high and hit a fan. Bad luck for him. He still would've gotten in trouble if he had hit a player, but idk if the charges would have been as bad. That's just insanity.

JHG722
07-25-2008, 03:57 AM
If that guy isn't thrown out of baseball, there's a major problem...

ShinobiNYC
07-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Both managers should be fired, they started all of this and they are supposed to be models for the kids.

darkfire423
07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Both managers should be fired, they started all of this and they are supposed to be models for the kids.

Honestly that is just a grossly wrong mistake.

Baseball Managers argue all the time.

This is a freak case that what happen. Criminal charges have been brought up and players are getting in touble by more than just Baseball.

Now you want someone fired becuase they had nothing to do with the player throwing the ball at the dugout and missing. Fighting on the ground?

It is like getting fired at your work for one of your co-workers getting in a fight.

sportwiz628
07-25-2008, 08:25 AM
That was crazy

sportwiz628
07-25-2008, 08:26 AM

No not really....it started when the first hit batsmen of the game got hit in the face and when the managers started to argue it ignited it.

sboyajian
07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
that #5 is crazy

haha.. I noticed the same thing.. at like 38 seconds in he took on like 4 people and came out standing.

Edit: Julio Castillo will never see a major league field after that fiasco.

Tragedy
07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
:pity:

Saw it on ESPNEWS last night, and just pathetic. Throwing a baseball? Some kind of *****.

johnnylee722
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
That pitcher who throw the ball should get charge was assault with a deadly weapon.

Joba Rules!!
07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
My god

I hope that guy goes to prison

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Idiots....It's a game not the streets. You always want to protect your teammates but those fools were just looking to scrap.

lilboytwister99
07-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Violence solves absolutely nothing. It just leads to more and usually worse nonsense happening, like charges being filed and more. That dude who threw the ball is gonna be in a heap of rubble and no telling what the fan that he hit is gonna do in retaliation.

I do agree the kids looked like they wanted to scrap in the first place. They let their emotions get the best of them. And for the fans who cheered it on, they are complete idiots. They are in the stands just simply cheering it on and have no clue and have not a care what can happen.

Theres been a few of these brawls lately. I was watching sportscenter and that WNBA brawl from the other day. Good grief everyones on edge these days.

Have a good one yall.

Dirty Dirk41
07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Awesome Scene

Dirty Dirk41
07-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Violence solves absolutely nothing. It just leads to more and usually worse nonsense happening, like charges being filed and more. That dude who threw the ball is gonna be in a heap of rubble and no telling what the fan that he hit is gonna do in retaliation.

I do agree the kids looked like they wanted to scrap in the first place. They let their emotions get the best of them. And for the fans who cheered it on, they are complete idiots. They are in the stands just simply cheering it on and have no clue and have not a care what can happen.

Theres been a few of these brawls lately. I was watching sportscenter and that WNBA brawl from the other day. Good grief everyones on edge these days.

Have a good one yall.

WHEN THERES a fight going on between people you dont know, have no friendships with, dont care about, I WANNA SEE THEM BEAT THE BLOOD OUT OF EACH OTHER

buccardfan99
07-25-2008, 11:48 AM
It sounds like that pitcher needs to work on his command!

Neely
07-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Crazy!!! That one guy taking on four others must be the next coming of Coco Crisp. Haha.

Tkais9009
07-26-2008, 12:31 AM
good thing sanberg was not there. he coulda got a bad rep for that

L-MiLLZ44
07-26-2008, 12:32 AM
they should tie that pitcher to a chair, and let a pitching machine go ape **** on his ***

iam brett favre
07-26-2008, 12:34 AM
At first I thought the guy throwing the ball was trying to hit a fan

PRETTY BIRD
07-26-2008, 05:22 AM
that was an awsome brawl

PRETTY BIRD
07-26-2008, 05:23 AM
At first I thought the guy throwing the ball was trying to hit a fan

that what i thought too.dude

PRETTY BIRD
07-26-2008, 05:23 AM
they should tie that pitcher to a chair, and let a pitching machine go ape **** on his ***

lol:clap:

eyememine
07-26-2008, 06:15 AM
I find it funny that the dude is a pitcher and couldn't hit a dugout.

Tragedy
07-26-2008, 11:17 AM
That pitcher is now facing EIGHT years in jail.

Being a minor league pitcher and getting in trouble = ****ed.

Being a major league pitcher and getting in trouble = No biggie.

NotVeryOriginal
07-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Awesome Scene

Not for the fan who got hit by the baseball. That guy it a pure *****. If your gunna fight at least go in head first with your fists flying, throwing a deadly weapon is something a complete b---- would do. I hope he sees jail time. Congrats to to guys the guys that piled onto him.

Knuckles
07-26-2008, 08:33 PM
As a Cubs fan I am utterly embarassed by this!:down:

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Great fight, although very unnecessary. Coaches arguments should be left for them to argue and although there was ALOT of tension in the game already, it never should have escalated to a player (trying to) throw a baseball into the oppsing dugout. It certainly shouldn't have been so bad as to have the same player, grab a bat and threaten to kill the fans above his dugout.

Luckily he is back in his country as they have taken his Passport away.

vigilantex69
07-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Well, if he threw at the dugout and hit a fan up top, he's obviously not very accurate

JohnCoddx
07-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, if he threw at the dugout and hit a fan up top, he's obviously not very accurate

And thus is why he's still in AAA.

BigDaddyKaine
07-27-2008, 03:09 PM

Are you serious both managers.... why don't you look at the umpires that weren't doing there jobs.... when are two managers ever allowed to be in each others faces yelling at one another maybe if the refs would have done there job it probably wouldn't have happened.... i guess that's why they are in the minors though

BostonFan 53
07-27-2008, 03:22 PM
And thus is why he's still in AAA.

A, actually.