PDA

View Full Version : Hickson has Danny Ferry Smiling

Sbank
07-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Summer camp fun: Hickson's performance has Cavaliers GM Danny Ferry smiling
The directive was to play some defense, work hard, and simply show us what you've got.

The result is that the Cavaliers were pretty satisfied with the performance of first-round draft pick J.J. Hickson in Las Vegas summer league games last week.

Hickson, a 6-foot-9 forward, averaged 19.4 points in five games --- an offensive output that was better than No. 3 pick O.J. Mayo (18.8 points), No. 5 Kevin Love (18.0) or No. 6 pick Danilo Gallinari (14.0)

He added 7.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 30.2 minutes, and Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry gave his approval, even if Cleveland lost all five of its games.

"He clearly has the potential to be a very good NBA player," Ferry said. "Now it's up to him and us to work on some things and get better."

Notably, Ferry was impressed with Hickson's scoring with his back to the basket, an advertised strength of the 19-year-old.

"He's quick, he's strong and he's an aggressive kid going to the rim," Ferry said.

But he's also still a kid and the statistics were against summer-league competition, so don't pencil him into the Cavaliers rotation yet.

"We have four pretty darn good bigs [Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Ben Wallace, Joe Smith and Anderson Varejao] right now on our roster," Ferry said. "That being said, if he makes it hard for us not to play him, there are decisions we'll have to make."

Also making good impressions and cases for training camp invitations were guard Clay Tucker (15.0 ppg), guard Mike Green (6.5 ppg, 3.0 apg) and second-round pick Darnell Jackson (5.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg).

Plain Dealer (http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/07/summer_camp_fun_hicksons_perfo.html)
Well if he doesn't make our roster I hope he gets plenty of playing time in the NBA D league so he gets better and could be brought up if an injure happens. I hope he creates friendly completion and puts other guys to play the best they can do in preseason.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-25-2008, 02:12 AM
I really hope he makes our roster and gets some minutes.

Talm
07-25-2008, 04:03 AM
If all four big men are still on our roster at the beginning of the season (Z, Wallace, Varejao and Smith) we should definately put Hickson in the D-league. With those four on the roster he'd be struggling for any real playing time, and that wouldn't benefit him at all. That being said, we do have the flexibility to trade big for small, and bring Hickson into a 4 man rotation, and I'd love to see the Cavs work towards that. Remember that even if he starts the season in the D-League, they can call him up within 48 hours.

noturnormalhero
07-25-2008, 09:49 AM
i'd have the kid play in Dleague since ur pretty much set with the big men. I saw him play in a few games in college and he definitely has the potential..was a nice pickup. think he needs more work overall but should turn out to be a nice addition to ur bench/depth.

IndiansFan337
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
He's already been signed.

So he's on our roster, guys.

I believe Jackson has already been signed as well, although I am not 100% certain on that.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
He's already been signed.

So he's on our roster, guys.

I believe Jackson has already been signed as well, although I am not 100% certain on that.

What I meant to say is I hope he can get some playing time on our NBA team, but if the D-league will keep him active with playing basketball then that should be where he goes.

monster_mash
07-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Until one of those other 4 bigs is off our roster, J.J. will be in the D League. With AV likely to be traded to make room for him when the time comes. Like Ferry said "That being said, if he makes it hard for us not to play him, there are decisions we'll have to make." If he puts up summer league type #'s in the D then look for AV...or Smith to go. Say the 3rd week in December when we can ship AV to Charlotte. I hope and think he will force Ferry's hand

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Yea Andy will probably be the guy to go..