PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline

DetTigers
07-24-2008, 11:50 PM
What are some realistic possibilities that could happen leading up to the deadline. I know it wouldnt hurt to add a starting pitcher and maybe a reliever or two if we can. So what are some names being thrown out there and what do you think we will do.

Tragedy
07-24-2008, 11:54 PM
I really see the Tigers standing pat.

Though, bringing in a name like Derek Lowe might not be a bad idea.

DetTigers
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
He's a local product may not be a bad choice

Bondomania
07-25-2008, 12:01 AM
realistically, the tigers have the ability to get one impact player, whether that be in the pen or as a starter.. i think they NEED a starter, our pen is pretty solid right now with zoom and rodney looking like they are in 2006 form.. no way we get Derek Lowe, the dodgers are tied for first right now, and i think he is their ace right now.. so i don't think we get anywhere close to getting him, maybe in the offseason but that is about it...

Burnett is the most likely in my opinion.. if Bedard was healthy we might have made a run at him, early reports were that the mariners were going to sell low on him and just start rebuilding.. i still think we have the pieces to pull off a deal for burnett and he could definitly complement Verlander well as the number 3 pitcher..

JackB
07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't trust Zumaya. At least not yet. 15 K's 13 Walks? . If his walk count was half that I would agree. Rodney is another one. I'm scared of right now. We need a solid late inning guy to protect the lead .
Its doesn't look like Bedard is going to be ready for a while. If it took Porcello to get Halladay I would do heart in a hearbeat. The guy is a proven winner. And with the offense and ballpark he would be the starter we need .

Bondomania
07-25-2008, 10:59 AM
if you are willing to throw away the future then yea sure do it... but this is something that a lot of fans want to do.. which is throw prospects at teams, listen, if we keep this up, we will not have a future, and the team will go back to being brutal.. the yankees learned this the hard way and now they are protecting their young prospects and won't give up any young arms to save their lives, despite having 3 or 4 young guys that could fetch a pretty solid player..

the zumaya thing, i am not to concerned about it.. keep in mind the guy is still working his way back to his old form, and he has gotten a lot better lately as well as his control.. same thing with rodney, rodney all of a sudden found his fastball and is controlling it, to go with his nasty changeup and a slider that he has re-discovered and will be mixing in.. i honestly think that our BP will be fine, i think our area of concern is the starters, we don't know if Miner can keep it up, Nate hasn't been good lately.. obviously if both these guys step up then it is less of a concern

smarkow
07-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Trading porcello for halladay would be similar to the John Smoltz/Doyle Alexander thing. If it brings us a championship, then great, but that didnt work out with Alexander. How, Halladay will at least be able to pitch longer than Alexander and be effective. However, he's still far removed from his cy young years. Halladay is an absolute workhorse. I feel like i've seen so many games in which he allwoed 1 run and the jays couldnt score.
Didnt he pitch 10 innings one time? i mean, thats impressive.
Porcello, according to prospects, has a chance to be really, really good. I don't see why we would trade him though. If we need a jolt at the end of the year, i dont see why we dont give him a try.
either way, i don't see much happening for us at the deadline.

Dalionking
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Tigers may intensify reliever trade talk
Posted by Scott Warheit July 25, 2008 07:15AM
With Freddy Dolsi's tired shoulder still not 100%, the Detroit Tigers may be more likely to trade for a reliever at the trade deadline then they were a week ago the Detroit Free Press reports. A lot will depend on how Dolsi responds to treatment and when he can return to the mound.

July 25, Detroit News: If the discomfort lingers, the Tigers will intensify their efforts to trade for a reliever before Thursday's non-waiver trade deadline.

Team officials have made pitching their priority while canvassing ballparks this month. The Tigers were among the 10 or more clubs that scouted Wednesday night's game between the Blue Jays and Orioles, teams that already have made pitchers available on the market.

Toronto right-hander A.J. Burnett started that game, but it's not believed the Tigers are actively pursuing him. Burnett is making $12 million this year, and the Tigers are reluctant to add to what was a $138-million payroll Opening Day.

JackB
07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
The difference between Halladay and Alexander is Halladay still has lots of gas left in the tank. Alexander was pretty much at the end of his career. He went something like 11-0 when the Tigers got him to finish the season but the next year as I recall was a shell of his former self. Porcello is in his first year of professional baseball. There have been many so called top prospects that don't work out when the get to the show. Pitching is just to hard to forecast. It will be a couple of years before we really know what he can do.
SEE Andrew Miller.
I doubt we do a deal like this anyway. But if we did it would have my blessing if we did.
We really aren't morgaging the future. Look at all the pitching we have drafted. We have done well. Halladay would still be a top notch starter when Porcello is ready to make a splash.Getting somebody to get us another win and quality start to go with Verlander, Gallaraga and lately Rogers is just what the Doctor ordered. No pun intended. Doctor? Halladay ? Nevermind.

Gww
07-25-2008, 03:50 PM
"The difference between Halladay and Alexander is Halladay still has lots of gas left in the tank".

Exactly.

Halladay is 31, Doyle was significantly north of that.

PhillyLuver
07-25-2008, 04:39 PM
GM Dave Dombrowski says the Tigers are definitely not sellers. They're undecided on whether to buy or stick with internal options. The Tigers' approach to the relief market may hinge on Freddy Dolsi's fatigued shoulder.

Sorry if that's been posted

Bondomania
07-26-2008, 02:48 AM
Porcello is a top ten prospect that is dominating a league he shouldn't even be in right now.. he is going up against guys 3 and 4 years older than him that are just out of college, meanwhile out of high school this kid is dominating high A ball with an ERA under 3, and recently he has been dialing up the strikeout machine.. he is being limited to a 70 pitch pitch counth and he is routinly going into the 5th and 6th innings.. this kid is going to be good, and he will be on the team by possibly mid-2009. Assuming nothing drastic happens health wise.. also they are limiting how many pitches are breaking balls to keep stress off of his forearm and elbow

Sheffies Chef
07-26-2008, 03:59 AM
makes sense and i agree with them on the last part of your post bondo.

Bondomania
07-26-2008, 11:24 AM
yea, i like how the tigers are handling him... very cautiously letting him get his feet wet.. not rushing him like other big time pitching prospects.. i think next year they will let him go nuts (like regular big league pitch count) and get his pitch count up and stuff, and if he continues to dominate, it wouldn't surprise me to see him up by mid-2009, if he struggles, then hey, he is still only 20, let him continue to develop