PDA

View Full Version : Greek League 2008/09 Scores and News - Pargo to Olympiakos (Post #39)

JWalk126
07-24-2008, 11:31 PM
I dont know too much about the guy or his team, but I will try to keep up with the news on this. hopefully some of the Greek basketball fans on the site will help out

T-Wolf
08-09-2008, 05:48 AM
I know that he signed with Olympiacos (Greek team from Athens), but I dont know how many years. I heard that he will recieve about 6-7 mil euros per year. I dont have any link for that, because I read that in newspapers. But I know that Olyimpiacos have big plans to stop Panathinaikos dominance in Greece. Thats why they want to bring LeBron in 2010. This year they spended milions of euros on players like Childress, Erceg, Milosevic, Papaloukas, Vujacic, Halperin...

arlubas
08-09-2008, 05:53 AM
I know that he signed with Olympiacos (Greek team from Athens), but I dont know how many years. I heard that he will recieve about 6-7 mil euros per year. I dont have any link for that, because I read that in newspapers. But I know that Olyimpiacos have big plans to stop Panathinaikos dominance in Greece. Thats why they want to bring LeBron in 2010. This year they spended milions of euros on players like Childress, Erceg, Milosevic, Papaloukas, Vujacic, Halperin...

His contract is for 3 years but he can go to the US at the end of every year.

JWalk126
09-04-2008, 01:14 AM
are either of you 2 willing to keep this updated?

rabzouz 96
09-04-2008, 07:29 AM
i thought his deal was for over 10 mil euros per year. he was a really nice player in atl, he couldve been a starter on many nba teams but the hawks were stacked at the wings.
i m not a fan of european bball,but ill def watch a game of him. is there any chance that his team will face jennings teams,or is that impossible?

JWalk126
09-04-2008, 12:52 PM
1. I think you may be confusing the conversion rate with the actual value in Euros. I believe the value in $ is 10 mil net per year which is even higher

2.Olympiakos and Roma are grouped seperately, but there is a chance they'll meet in the Top 16 round

rabzouz 96
09-05-2008, 08:19 PM
1. I think you may be confusing the conversion rate with the actual value in Euros. I believe the value in $ is 10 mil net per year which is even higher

2.Olympiakos and Roma are grouped seperately, but there is a chance they'll meet in the Top 16 round

ok, u gotta pm me if thats the case, so i wont miss the game:D

JWalk126
09-11-2008, 03:56 AM
deal, but its not guaranteed I'll have a link

rabzouz 96
09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
deal, but its not guaranteed I'll have a link

aight,kool.

arlubas
09-13-2008, 07:02 AM
I will try to update this thread whenever a game of olympiakos is played. No games have been played up until now for the record.

arlubas
09-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Josh scored 19 points (lead team) with 2 threes and 3 steels in his debut for Olympiakos. It was the first friendly game for the season for them.

JWalk126
09-16-2008, 07:26 AM
shame half the team is out because of the EuroBasket

arlubas
09-21-2008, 06:53 AM
In the latest game against Partizan Josh scored 15 points and threw dunk a big dunk but unfortunately no one has seen it cause the game wasn't televised here... :(

arlubas
09-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Josh had 9 points in the latest game of his team. Don't forget these are friendly games and he isn't receiving heavy PT on all games.

PS: Is anyone interested in this? Should I keep it up?

JWalk126
09-21-2008, 11:25 PM
someone told me to start it....

I'm pretty sure someone will eventually post in it

arlubas
09-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Josh had 14 pts and 5 rebounds in his latest game.

dbroncs-abraves
09-24-2008, 06:53 PM
where can you find these scores

JWalk126
09-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Euroleague.net gives scores, but it rarely gives full stats

I get some stats from Israeli sites, arlubas probably gets them from the Greek basketball sites

Chronz
09-26-2008, 06:00 AM
http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/first-evidence-why-to-follow-the-josh-childress/

Interesting stuff, I hope I get a chance to see some of his games this year

rabzouz 96
09-26-2008, 02:39 PM
r there still friendly games or did the real season already start for j chill

JWalk126
09-26-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/first-evidence-why-to-follow-the-josh-childress/

Interesting stuff, I hope I get a chance to see some of his games this year
I saw that too. I was going to post it but forgot due to the excitement of the Mets game last night

I believe the regular season starts in October

the German league has already started though

arlubas
09-27-2008, 03:41 AM

There are some complications right now with the Greek league and that's why it hasn't started yet. If it does, it will be in October.

JWalk126
10-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Interview: Josh Childress, Olympiacos
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/features/interviews/euroleague-2008-09/i/35911/179/interview-josh-childress-olympiacos)

One of the Euroleague's biggest summer signings, Josh Childress of Olympiacos B.C., has been making himself a new home in Athens, Greece, the last few weeks. Under the tutelage of a legendary coach, with the help of star teammates, the gifted forward is getting ready for a Euroleague season for which he, the Reds and their one-of-a-kind fans hold high hopes. Childress surprised a lot of people by choosing Olympiacos and the Euroleague in the prime of an accomplished NBA career, but as he says in this Euroleague.net interview, he's already finding what he came for. "The style of play here in terms of getting back to a team game was something that really attracted me." Childress told Euroleague.net. "I had been four years in the NBA and it's a different game. This is little more team-focused, team-oriented, which is something I felt like it would be good to get back to."

First of all, Josh, how do you like Greece so far?

"So far, I am really enjoying myself and getting to see what I can of Athens. It's a great city and I am just having fun using my free time to try to learn about a new culture."

You surprised a lot of people this summer by joining Olympiacos to play in the Euroleague. What was the opportunity you saw that convinced you to make this move?

"I think that what I found was a good opportunity for me as a person and as a player to grow. Granted, it's not growing in the NBA, where I was until now, but it's growing in a way that was important to me. Obviously, it was a big step both personally and career-wise, but I am sure right now that it was a good move."

After you made your decision this summer, everyone was talking about some of the best basketball they had ever seen involving European teams and players at the Olympics. Did that reinforce your decision to try the European game?

"That didn't have a great effect on me personally, because I was already mentally ready for this change. But I think seeing the Olympics allowed other people who maybe didn't know before to see the level of basketball here and see that it's very, very high. That, obviously, was a good thing for basketball."

As a player who proved himself at all levels in your own country, what attracted you to the European game in the prime of your career?

"I think just seeing the style of play here in terms of getting back to a team game was something that really attracted me. I had been four years in the NBA and it's a different game. This is little more team-focused, team-oriented, which is something I felt like it would be good to get back to."

Everyone wants to see you in action, but have you had a chance to see the Greek fans in action, yet?

"The truth is that I really haven't yet. We have played just one preseason tournament in Greece, and that was in a smaller gym, so I haven't been able yet to get a real idea of how it's going to be. We have our first games in the next few weeks, and then I'll get the chance to see how crazy they are and rowdy they are. I am looking forward to it."

Tell us about the team. Who did you know about before you arrived and who are the guys that are new to you that you've connected with on the court so far?

"The only player I really knew, and not personally, was Lynn Greer and Sofoklis Schortsanitis. Those were the only two I had seen much of. Now, during preseason, I'm just connecting with all the guys and I think we have a great team. We have a lot of new players to it takes everybody time to get accustomed to each other. So far I enjoy play with them and getting to know them on and off the court."

How has learning a new style of play been so far?

"I'm trying. The last game we play I got a couple traveling calls I am not used to. It's going take time in that regard, and I am impatient to do well. My coach and my teammates have been great in trying to help me be patient and realize that it's going to take a little time. I just know that the sooner I can get used to it, the better."

Your coach, Panagiotis Giannakis, is a legend in Europe, a champion as both a player and a coach, and obviously an important person in your transition. How is he helping you get accustomed?

"He's been very helpful, doing whatever he can to try to help me through this process. He's basically trying to teach me, taking it upon himself to teach me how to be successful here like he has been in his career. And I appreciate it."

Some people have called Euroleague game a perfect hybrid between the NCAA and the NBA: the very passionate crowds and team basketball of the former, with a skill level that is always getting closer to the latter. Do you see that comparison as accurate?

"I think it's a very accurate comparison. It's the same exact thing that I would say, both ways. And I think that year after year that skill level is getting higher. European basketball is getting better and more skillful at the same time."

Do you consider yourself a trailblazer?

"People have called me that, and I do agree to an extent. I guess I am just the first guy in my position who wanted to try Europe at this stage of his career. And I'm going to give it my best shot. Whether a trailblazer or not, I felt comfortable that this was a good fit for me. I am sure it will be an eye-opener for other guys who will see me and maybe give Europe a shot, too."

JWalk126
10-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Josh Childress scored 16 pts and added 7 asts in the 1st game of the regular season as Olympiakos beat Egaleo 90-65

BOX SCORE (http://www.galanissportsdata.com/basketball/online/onlinegamegsd.asp?game=4)

rabzouz 96
10-13-2008, 05:52 PM
kool, keep it up with the stats

arlubas
10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Josh Childress scored 16 pts and added 7 asts in the 1st game of the regular season as Olympiakos beat Egaleo 90-65

BOX SCORE (http://www.galanissportsdata.com/basketball/online/onlinegamegsd.asp?game=4)

He also had two dunks one of which was a one handed facial over another dude! :D

JWalk126
10-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Kobe to join Josh Childress in Olympiacos?
Source: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/10/olympiakos-preparing-offer-for-kobe.html)

According to italian site basketcentral.it Olympiakos is preparing an offer for Kobe Bryant(?!?!) for next summer. The italian site claims that they have information from "inside the club" insinuating that the Angelopoulos brothers will offer the superstar a contract of 60 million dollars for 3 years with an option for the player at the end of each season.

In that contract there will be an incredible list of benefits, a villa in the Mediterranean Sea, pay all the taxes at the expense of the club, to pay the bills for the staff and for a private boat for Kobe Bryant. The article also says that they are planning to form Olympiakos into an NBA style club with a court that fits 15-20 thousand seats and a private jet for the team.

This could be just another rumor in a long list of rumors that circulated around the net this summer and what seems really odd is the timing of it. It is strange for a rumor like that to be released in a time like now when all the leagues have begun. There is no credible reason other than attracting attention.. Only time will tell if there is any validity in it..

arlubas
10-18-2008, 01:01 PM
19 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks is the latest statline of Josh a few minutes ago against Aris BC.

JWalk126
10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I did the same thing with the Boki, Delfino etc thread

the thread is for the entire Greek league, but most of the conversation will (no promises) on Childress.

JWalk126
10-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Theodoros Papaloukas (Olympiacos) - 2,380 days have passed between 18/04/02 and today. Back then, Theo played his last Euroleague game for the Reds; yesterday, he made his rdappearance. Back then, he finished the game with 26:53 in playing time, 8 points, 3 rebounds and a VAL of 16. Today, he played only 90 seconds less, still scored 8 points, still grabbed 3 rebounds, and notched a VAL of 15 …consistency over a six-year span
http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/yarone-arbels-player-and-team-watch/

JWalk126
11-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Yotam Halperin leads Olympiacos to victory over PAOK
Source: EuroBasket.com

Coach Panagiotis Yannakis and his players kept the perfect record after home game vs PAOK Thessaloniki. Yotam Halperin this time top-scored for the Reds with 18 points. Point guard Milos Teodosic also shined netting 17 points. Panagiotis Kafkis added 14 points and 4 assists for PAOK but, as it was expected, his team stayed on just one win in four games.

Childress scored 7

BoxScore (http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/Greece/2008/1102_93_269.asp)

JWalk126
11-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Childress is averaging 15.3 ppg and is 7th in the league (just like Boki in the Russian league)

JWalk126
11-23-2008, 06:37 PM
The first derby was Green as Panathinaikos gives Olympiakos it's first loss 86-69
Source: Eurobasket.com

Without Perperoglou and with not very good psychology due to the last results in both Eurolegue and in the Greek league (suffered its first loss against Panellinios last week), Zeljko Obradovic 's Greens thrashed Giannakis Reds with 17 points difference, (the game went up to 22 points) and with final score: Panathinaikos Olympiakos 86-69.
Zeljko Obradovic did it again, even though this season everybody was claiming that Olympiakos is much stronger than ever and that this could be the season to break the home court of the Greens, this will delay for another round (at least) Panathinaikos had an amazing Pekovic and an amazing duet in the point guards position as Diamantidis and Jasikevicius were simply amazing. On the other hand, Giannakis team was not in a very good day with 18 false balls and with the red stars remaining in a shallow night as Thodoros Papaloukas (200-G-77) ended the game with 2 points and 6 false balls while Josh Childress (203-G/F-83, college: Stanford) scored 11 with a medium performance. Only Yotam Halperin (196-G-84) tried to change the status of the game but he was all alone, the Israeli guard scored 20 points in 25 minutes. The MVP of the game was definitely the Monte Negro center Nikola Pekovic (210-C-86), the talented center in his very first derby in the Greek league proved to be ready to become the Green center for the years to come, Pekovic scored 21 points with 9/9 in the paint, dashing down 4 rebounds and having a TENDEX of 1.284 what else could Zeljko Obradovic be expecting from his center, and all these in something less than 18 minutes in the court, from a close distance was the three dimensional Dimitris Diamantidis, the three times top defender in the Euroleague, finished the game with the following amazing stats: 16 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 5 steals while Adrew Nicholas (191-G-81, college: Maryland) first Greek derby was not bas at all as the American top scorer in Euroleague finished the game with 15 points. The difference of the two teams in assists (17vs9) and in steals (7vs3) was much bigger than the one of rebounds as the two teams in the specific sector were more or less the same, 35 greens and 32 Red rebounds.

JWalk126
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Childress scored 24 pts and picked 6 rebs in Olympiakos 84-50 win over Kolossos

JWalk126
01-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Injury problems Plague Olympiakos
Source: Eurobasket.com

2008 leaves in a few hours but coach Panagiotis Yannakis is not as happy as he could wish to have been since two of the most important players of his team have faced serious injuries in the past days. Giannis Bourousis (212-C-83, agency: FCM) had a problem in his left knee, was submitted in tests that showed a problem in the internal collateral meniscus and, as it was initially announced, he would be sidelined for 40 days, after having an operation (arthroscopy). The Greek center experienced some pain during the last Euroleague game versus Cibona, but felt better afterward. His situation, though, worsened on Monday. However, the initial decision to undergo surgery on Wednesday has been postponed since his situation was better on Tuesday; so the medical team decided to put him on a conservative treatment, which will allow him to come back at an earlier date in the trainings of the team.

Besides, Josh Childress (203-G/F-83, college: Stanford) is also facing a problem: nuisances in the adducent and he will have an ultra-sound scan. The problem doesnt seem to be serious, however the medical team preferred to send the player for some tests, in order to see precisely the size of his damage. Finally, a problem in his bubonic has been revealed, which is not serious and logically he will be in position to return back in the rhythms of training at the next days.

We remind that Olympiacos is still missing Panagiotis Vasilopoulos (202-F-84, agency: FCM), since almost a month, due to a broken finger on his hand.

JWalk126
01-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Olympiacos loses Childress until March

Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/42640/180/item)

Olympiacos Pireaus on Tuesday announced that forward Josh Childress will undergo hernia surgery today and miss most, if not all, of the Top 16. Childress (203, 25) is the third-best scorer (10.7 ppg.) and second-best rebounder (5 rpg.) for the Reds, while leading the team in minutes played (26.3 mpg.). Childress returned to the United States over the weekend for medical attention concerning an inguinal hernia. It was decided that he would undergo surgery for the problem on Tuesday at Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The club statement said that Childress is expected to return to action in approximately 40 days. Childress had already missed the last Euroleague regular season game played by Olympiacos, a home loss to Le Mans, as well as the team's last Greek League game. Childress spent the first four seasons of his professional career as a double-digit scorer with Altanta of the NBA and three seasons before that at Stanford University. Olympiacos finished second in their regular season and start Top 16 play on Thursday, January 29, against Armani Jeans Milano in Milan, Italy.

JWalk126
01-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Starbury off Olympiacos' Radar; Pargo within Signing sight
Source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3855139) (click for complete Article)

NEW YORK -- The flirtation between Stephon Marbury and the Greek club Olympiacos appeared to end Friday, with a new twist to the story blowing in from Moscow.

Olympiacos is pursuing former NBA guard Jannero Pargo, who was expected to secure his release from Dynamo Moscow before the end of the weekend, sources told ESPN.com. At least three NBA teams and two Euroleague teams were in the bidding for Pargo, whose value in Europe is actually higher than Marbury's because teams have already seen him play this season -- and because he can be signed to a contract before Euroleague final 16 rosters are due Monday and Tuesday......

JWalk126
01-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Paok Falling Apart
Source: The Hoop Blog

January 22nd:
http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2009/01/paok-is-falling-apart.html

Paok is falling apart according to latest news and they are releasing at the moment up to four players from their roster. Following the rumors of imminent departure of Kenny Gregory and Mamoutou Diarra the greek team is also releasing Kostas Vasileiadis(2.00-SG/SF)(who is on-loan from Olympiacos) and Damir Mulaomerovic(1.94-PG).

These 4 players are key members of the roster of Paok and perhaps the team is cutting down on expenses since the team has no fear of relegation like last season having already accumulated a 9-6 record. It is unknown whether other players will leave. If this comes true there will be a total of 5 players leaving the team including K'Zell Wesson.

EDIT : Today, the representative of former president Drosos that left the team told the players that there is money at the moment to pay one more salary. It seems that Drosos will cover the debt at the end of the season but at the moment the players are free to do as they please. This potentially means that any given player can leave the team if they wish so.

January 25th:
http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2009/01/departures-have-begun-in-paok.html

It is now official. The rumoured departure of Damir Mulaomerovic(1.94-PG) and Kostas Vasileiadis(2.00-SG/SF) has been announced by the website of Paok and the 2 players are now free agents and they can continue their careers elsewhere.

Mulaomerovic seems to be heading to KK Zagreb whereas Kostas Vasileiadis has yet to select where he would continue his career. According to the regulations of the Greek League they cannot transfer to another Greek team so they would have to choose a team abroad. Vasileiadis is on-loan from Olympiakos and after this season is over will return to Olympiakos.

Also the latest rumors indicate that Kenny Gregory(1.98-SG/SF) will be continuing his career in Roma but it has yet to be announced.

JWalk126
01-28-2009, 02:47 AM
Olympiakos signs Pargo
Source: Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhNM5pwUNq4fImkDO_UMz0i8vLYF?slug=aw-pargomarbury012609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

As Jannero Pargo bolted crumbling Moscow Dynamo for Greece’s Olympiakos on Monday, it’s increasingly unlikely that New York Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury is destined to resurface anywhere but the NBA this season.

Pargo signed a contract with the Greek team on Monday, two sources familiar with the negotiations said. Between the settlement with Dynamo and the new contract with Olympiakos, Pargo, an NBA-level veteran, will make the same gross amount for the season ($3.8 million) that he originally signed for in Russia over the summer.

Pargo was a valuable contributor to the New Orleans Hornets last summer, but his most lucrative free-agent offer came from Dynamo. As oil prices have plummeted, so have the financial coffers of several Russian teams. The days of their brash free-agent bids to American players appear stalled.

bigsams50
04-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Panathinaikos is looking strong this year as always

bigsams50
07-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Greece: Ioannis Bourousis caught in Doping Scandal

A huge Greek football scandal has also drawn in domestic basketball superstar Ioannis Bourousis leading to a shocking doping revelation and repercussions.

Leaked by a recorded telephone conversation, the transcripts tell a story of an April 2011 meeting between the owner of the Kavala Football Club and Olympiako’s and Greek National Team star Bouroussis.

Discuss the Bourousis scandal in our Greek Basketball Forum

The transcripts have Bouroussis requesting “more performance-enhancing medicines” and the 7-0 center’s statements indicate that the he had previously used the drugs including during the Greek Basketball finals against rivals Panathinaikos.

Psomiadis eventually offered more of the banned substance, adding “This makes my soccer players stay up all night.”

In the damning tape, Bourousis also referred to his club owners as “idiots.” Not surprisingly, Olympiacos is reportedly releasing Bourousis with a 200,000€ payout.

http://www.interbasket.net/news/7989/2011/06/greece-ioannis-bourousis-caught-in-doping-scandal/