PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets sign Chris Andersen, Dahntay Jones

Crunchy12489
07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_9972596

Check it out.

I like him, he's a great role player and he holds good d.

Sure he doesn't get blocks like Camby, but he holds relentless defense.

Nice add, FO. Signed him for less than a mill too. This guy (imo) is worth almost every penny.

avsman05
07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
hahaha good job im glad we signed him now go get a dang pg.

fly boy
07-23-2008, 06:54 PM
i like this move..now lets go and try to get shaun livingston for around the same price

DenButsu
07-23-2008, 08:01 PM
This is a very solid move, imo. He'll be able to do a lot of the things that Camby and Najera did, for about 1/14 of the price. In the final sum, not that bad.

The Post article says:

His best season came with the New Orleans Hornets in 2004-05, when he average 7.7 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.

His best blocking season was 1.6 in 03-04 with Denver. Not jaw dropping, but if he's good for 1 or two a game, that should help.

Now if we can also sign Elson on the cheap, I'll be feeling a lot less worried about our frontcourt. Don't forget that we do have two very legitimate starters already if Nene's healthy, so what we really need are good role-playing backups, and I think a 3-man unit of Andersen-Hunter-Elson backing up K-Nene gives us a pretty solid 4/5 rotation.

Game_Over
07-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Birdman will be ok for now but long term no, I like this and still hope we don't get Elson!!

DenButsu
07-24-2008, 05:17 AM
still hope we don't get Elson!!

Do you remember our last stint in the playoffs against the Spurs? He was very effective in the few minutes per game he played. He's a great guy for 10 off the bench who can play some interior D and hit some well-selected shots with high efficiency. If we sign him for the minimum, what's your problem with it? :shrug:

BRAVE KID
07-24-2008, 08:46 AM
nice signing at least we know we are getting hustle and desire to play D.

DenButsu
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Nuggets Sign Andersen
Six-year NBA veteran makes return to Denver, where he played from 2001-2004

DENVER, July 24, 3008 -- The Denver Nuggets have signed forward/center Chris Andersen, team Vice President of Basketball Operations Mark Warkentien announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

Andersen, 6-10, 228, returns to the Nuggets, the team he began his NBA career with as the first-ever “call-up” from the NBA Development League in 2001. He averaged 4.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg and 1.31 bpg in three seasons with Denver from 2001-2004.

During the 2007-08 season, Andersen averaged 1.2 ppg and 1.8 rpg in five games for the New Orleans Hornets.

The six-year NBA veteran has posted career averages of 5.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg and 1.34 bpg in 258 appearances with Denvernuggets.com (http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/andersen_signing_072408.html)

Nuggets add swingman Jones

A day after adding a reserve post, the Nuggets added a reserve swingman, signing Dahntay Jones to a one-year deal, a source confirmed.

Jones, a Duke product, played well on Denver's summer league team, well enough to earn himself a guaranteed contract for the league minimum, around $1 million.

The 27-year-old Jones played in 25 games last season for Sacramento, averaging 3.2 points per game. denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_9986324)

3RDASYSTEM
07-24-2008, 11:03 PM
2 Solid Moves For The Team,i Say That Cuz They Know They Are Role Players And Wont Be Demandin Ball And Will Bring D N Hustle Somethin Nuggets Sorely Lacked, All It Takes Is For The Role Hustle Players To Rub Off, Jus Look At That Team Ai Took To Finals In Philly, Imagine If He Woulda Had A P Pierce Or Tmac/nowitzki To Ball Wit Cuz Stupid Management Passed Up On Both For Hughes/van Horn. Now They Should Look At Kwame Brown/elson And A Shooter...ai Would Be My Point,nuggetz Have Plenty Of Scorin Plus If They Would Get It In They Heads That Playin D Leadz To Even More,thats Why Teams Like Spurs Could Score 110 When They Play Uptempo But They Would Prefer To Play At Slow Tempo, G Karl Had Good D Teams In Past So This Is Kinda Like That Make Or Brake Yr Ai/brown Had In 01, I Mean Lets Jus Use Common Sense When Has Anything Popped Off Perfect In 1 Yr Of Playin Togetha, Im Not Comparin The Duos But Tell Me How Long It Took Kobe N Shaq To Win It All, 96-00

BigEric
07-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Why do you capitalize every word? Jones is an excellent player.

BRAVE KID
07-25-2008, 01:48 AM
It is all good to me, they came cheap but hopefully they will make a big impact.

flyboy193
07-25-2008, 02:09 AM
i think jones was a good signing but bird man i just dont know

Game_Over
07-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Do you remember our last stint in the playoffs against the Spurs? He was very effective in the few minutes per game he played. He's a great guy for 10 off the bench who can play some interior D and hit some well-selected shots with high efficiency. If we sign him for the minimum, what's your problem with it? :shrug:

My problem with Elson is the best way to describe him is umm clumbsy,lost and just dopey.. This guy just seems lost on the court and takes really bad shots.. He does seem to have heart so did Nareja but atleast Najera knew his limits and looked like he knew what was going on.. Sorry but I can't stand Elson, never have and never will!!

Broncs4Life
07-25-2008, 09:09 AM
I like the FO bringing the Birdman back. He is a hustle guy who can play some D. Nice pickup! :clap:

AI
07-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Atleast we found a way to replace Najera, his offense is not as good as Najeras but he's that type of player. If we can trade AI and get some good solid players in return I'm liking what the team is doing.

DenButsu
07-25-2008, 09:32 AM
On the interior, Andersen has committed himself to change.

After sitting out two years for violating the NBA's substance-abuse policy, Andersen says he is clean, sober and ready to prove himself all over again with the Nuggets.

"That's behind me," Andersen said Thursday after a workout at the Forza Fitness Club downtown. "I made an immediate change from the get-go. It's a lot of hard work and a lot of effort, a lot of time just to get back where I'm at. There's not a chance in hell I'm going to try to mess that up again. It's all about just finishing my career solid and on a good note."...

"We're excited about having him," vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien said. "It's obvious at this point that we needed a big (man). We hope that he brings his energy and rebounding and shot blocking."...

"I've kept to it for the last 21/2 years," he said. "I stayed in condition. I stayed doing what I was supposed to be doing.

"Everybody sees how I've changed my ways. They know what I'm about now."

Monday through Friday, Andersen climbs into his black Ford F-450 and makes the 35-mile drive from Larkspur to Denver to work out at Forza, which is owned by Nuggets strength and conditioning coach Steve Hess.

"I've got high expectations for myself and I've got a lot of things to prove this year," Andersen said. "There's no time off or plays off for me."

At 30, he no longer is a young prospect who earned the nickname "Birdman" for his high- flying style. He said he has worked to improve his low-post game, outside shot and basketball IQ...

Andersen, who played a total of 34 minutes in five games after his reinstatement March 4, shrugs off concerns about trying to make an impact after a long absence.

"On paper, I'm older, but physically, I'm younger," he said. "That wear and tear of the last two years isn't on my body. I don't have those ailments."

-----------------

Youth also remains on the side of Jones, a 27-year-old who was the 20th pick of the 2003 draft.

Jones averaged a team-leading 18.4 points in the NBA summer league in Las Vegas and likely will step into the role occupied by Yakhouba Diawara, another free agent who got sporadic playing time his two seasons in Denver.

"I'm very excited," Jones said. "It's an opportunity for me and an opportunity for us as a team to do some good things. I think I can bring a defensive presence there. I can slash and make the open shots."rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/24/nuggets-agree-1-year-deal-swingman-dahntay-jones/)

eman
07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
As for Andersen, it will be interesting to see how he looks after more than two years out of the NBA. While talking to him at the Forza Fitness Center on Thursday, he seemed genuine about changing his life after being banned from the NBA for drug abuse. He said he has been working out 6 to 8 hours a day at the gym and running the stairs at Red Rocks on weekends. He's basically like an Olympic athlete training at high altitude in hopes of having a competitive advantage once the games begin. Rocky Mountain News.

So that is who that tall tattoed person at Red Rocks was. I take my girls cross country team there to train on the weekends and passed him a number of times during our workouts. Don't know what level Anderson's basketball skills still are at, but he sure was working out hard when I saw him.

DenButsu
07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
One Jones couldn't keep up with another. And nobody was Green with envy about a certain point guard's performance.
Thursday was not a good day for a pair of Nuggets players with non-guaranteed contracts. The Nuggets signed big man Chris Andersen to a one-year guaranteed deal, and agreed to terms on a one-year guaranteed deal with swingman Dahntay Jones.
That could spell the end with the Nuggets for point guard Taurean Green and swingman Bobby Jones. Or at least keep the Nuggets from guaranteeing their contracts for next season.
The Nuggets must make a call by Aug. 1 on Green, when his contract becomes guaranteed for $711,417 if he hasn't been waived. A similar call for $797,581 must be made by Aug. 15 on Bobby Jones.
Green had a disastrous NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, averaging 6.5 points and 1.6 assists while shooting 23.3 percent. It would be a big surprise if the Nuggets let his contract become guaranteed.
Bobby Jones had a better summer league, averaging 10 points, 4.6 rebounds and shooting 41.4 percent. But his chances of having his deal guaranteed were severely hampered by a swingman with the same last name leading the Nuggets in summer scoring with an 18.6 average and getting a guaranteed deal to give the Nuggets 10 such players.
The cost-cutting Nuggets are likely to hold onto the league minimum of 13 players this season. One of the three remaining roster spots is earmarked for restricted free agent J.R. Smith, whom the Nuggets want to re-sign. And another could go to second-round draft pick Sonny Weems, who figures to sign a contract for the rookie minimum of $442,114.
It wouldn't be surprising if the Nuggets would want to keep the 13th roster spot open for a while.rockymountainnews (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/07/green_bobby_jon.html)

DenButsu
07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Rocky Mountain News.

So that is who that tall tattoed person at Red Rocks was. I take my girls cross country team there to train on the weekends and passed him a number of times during our workouts. Don't know what level Anderson's basketball skills still are at, but he sure was working out hard when I saw him.

Beat ya to it by one minute. :p

Threads merged since they're both on the same topic. :nod:

-------------

edit==============

eman, did he look like this (http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/09/07/20080306170709990020)?

b_rock007
07-25-2008, 11:12 AM

"Elson won a championship ring with the Spurs in 2007, but was frequently benched in favor of the tougher Fabricio Oberto. Why? Elson stays away from the basket too much. For a guy who's seven feet tall, his career FG% is .478 and he averages less than one block per game. Ugh." -quote taken from denver stiffs.com

This why I wouldn't want Elson back, plus he always looks lost on defense. Well I guess that means he is perfect for GKs ole defensive systems:rolleyes:

As for Dahntay Jones, I heard he is kind of fool's gold, he looks good in summer leagues, but he doesn't like to pass the ball. I think his career assists/game is .6 or something like that. That just wont work on a team with melo, AI and JR. I hope he has committed to defense but I dont think he gets any PT at all with JR and Kleiza having solidified there bench roles. I guess he is a really good 3rd stringer though.

DenButsu
07-25-2008, 11:56 AM
denverstiffs = firegeorgekarl.com = a site that some Nuggets fan made in part to promote his cartoon =

a site created to bash George Karl and along with him the front office who won't fire him =

not the best place to find an objective scouting report on any player who this front office might favor

Just sayin'.

Kohaku
07-26-2008, 07:16 PM
denverstiffs = firegeorgekarl.com = a site that some Nuggets fan made in part to promote his cartoon =

a site created to bash George Karl and along with him the front office who won't fire him =

not the best place to find an objective scouting report on any player who this front office might favor

Just sayin'.

Andrew Feinstein :rolleyes:

BostonFan 53
07-31-2008, 04:54 AM
Dude, you are being very immature about this. The Nuggets are a VERY good team. Probably the best offensive team. You really need to stop baiting and trolling.