PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Jawai Highlights

jdot22
07-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Heres the link to the raptors homepage where you will find the highlights

http://www.nba.com/raptors/

I know its just summerleague and it doesn't mean too much but I think Jawai looked pretty good ... good hands, pretty mobile for his size with decent footwork, and he had some pretty nice blocks. I think he can bring us some quality bench mins on some nights ...

What do you guys think ... draft sleeper or another HOFFA bust ... LOL

bosh4mvp
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
well I dont think you can classify him as a bust given where he was taken. Most guys selected there dont play in the nba. Hoffa had a lot more pressure to perform

jdot22
07-24-2008, 08:09 PM
lol ... very true ... but when I think of draft picks that were not so good ... for some reason HOFFA always comes to mind ... just really started this thread cause I was pretty impressed with some of his highlights ... and im just thinking if other GM's are thinking they let another one sllip to BC ....

Beach Rock
07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I like this guy. I think he turned heads in Vegas and he certainly turned mine. So much promise. He is a long armed 6'10 ATHLETE and is 280 lbs. Explosive jump and can finish well. He's rough but not clumsily out of control(like poor Hoffa) and plays with energy. You can't ask for anything more than this guy at the 40 something pick. Steal. Great job Colangelo. Mark my words...he'll be a better pro than Hibbert in 2-3 years.

Beach Rock
07-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Still needs work of course as he's really raw but he's a great piece for us.

jdot22
07-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Ya ... those arms of his are LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jdot22
07-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Oh and I was reading in Doug Smiths blog that his fouls weren't very high ... which could mean something ... he is not a joey graham or abargs type defender with all the fouls ... but then he mentioned the fact that some of the officiating wasn't the best either ... sooooooooo ....

bebop
07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Mark my words...he'll be a better pro than Hibbert in 2-3 years.

Pretty Bold Claim; Considering you never heard of the guy a month ago.

That being said, I wouldn't complain if you were right.

maxisgod
07-25-2008, 12:58 AM
great young kid!

Tom Stone
07-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Your one of those people that has to see to believe....that's cool most people are...but I have a gift.... an insight....Every player I say will be good ....comes true and I go out on a limb all the time....I don't think I have to go out on a limb this time...I think it's clear cut that this guy will turn into something great....280 6"10 people arnt supposed to jump like that but he does...he size and strength make him a force already...and he's light footed, something else he shouldn't be for his size.....and he's only played ball for 6 years....the guys a natural really......The Raps being one of the weekest teams in the Nba....this is a perfect fit.....I wanna keep Jo and Cb4 healthy this year so I hope dumb sam mitchell gives hump and Nathan more steady minutes this year to make us a tougher team and keep are allstars healthy....I think our biggest weekness this year is sam mitchell....If there's one thing he's good at it's finding our weekness and exposing it...Man I hate Sam mitchell.

ink
07-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Your one of those people that has to see to believe....that's cool most people are...but I have a gift.... an insight....Every player I say will be good ....comes true and I go out on a limb all the time....I don't think I have to go out on a limb this time...I think it's clear cut that this guy will turn into something great....280 6"10 people arnt supposed to jump like that but he does...he size and strength make him a force already...and he's light footed, something else he shouldn't be for his size.....and he's only played ball for 6 years....the guys a natural really......The Raps being one of the weekest teams in the Nba....this is a perfect fit.....I wanna keep Jo and Cb4 healthy this year so I hope dumb sam mitchell gives hump and Nathan more steady minutes this year to make us a tougher team and keep are allstars healthy....I think our biggest weekness this year is sam mitchell....If there's one thing he's good at it's finding our weekness and exposing it...Man I hate Sam mitchell.

On a sports forum you will have to back up your points with more than claims of clairvoyance. :eyebrow: Don't set yourself up as a target and try to prove your points like the rest of us.

Tom Stone
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM
On a sports forum you will have to back up your points with more than claims of clairvoyance. :eyebrow: Don't set yourself up as a target and try to prove your points like the rest of us.

IF I were to back up my points, I would be hear all night....and I just don't have the time.....And I don't mind being a target it comes with the territory of going out on a limb....But if you have inpaticular comment you want me to go into more depth on...just ask.

ink
07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
IF I were to back up my points, I would be hear all night....and I just don't have the time.....And I don't mind being a target it comes with the territory of going out on a limb....But if you have inpaticular comment you want me to go into more depth on...just ask.

Right. Just back up your points like the rest of us do. :cool:

Tom Stone
07-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Right. Just back up your points like the rest of us do. :cool:

I don't really understand what point you wanted me to back up....please give me an example....I thought the whole article was pretty stright forward...

Bricklayer
07-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Everybody is jumping on the Jawai bandwagon because of a couple youtube videos. In a way it's nice to see because there is a ton of hype around this team right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's clear that Nathan is quite an athlete, but if he's going to come in and be such a "force" (your words) why wasn't he taken higher in the draft? You also mentioned that the Raptors are one of the weakest teams in the league, not too sure where you got that from, maybe it was your gift that told you that.:eyebrow:

Beach Rock
07-25-2008, 07:40 PM

True. I never heard of him untill a couple of months ago. Combination of me seeing little in Hibbert down the road and me really liking this guys tools. i've watched interviews and like what I saw there too. Word out of raptors camp is that he's been learning quickly, read somewhere that he's doing well in his 1 on 1 drills with J.O. and has picked up new offensive moves quickly. There is obviously some real potential seen by the management as well or he would be in the D league this fall instead of with us.
I hope I'm right too.
Cheers.

_Sn1P3r_
07-25-2008, 10:04 PM
True. I never heard of him untill a couple of months ago. Combination of me seeing little in Hibbert down the road and me really liking this guys tools. i've watched interviews and like what I saw there too. Word out of raptors camp is that he's been learning quickly, read somewhere that he's doing well in his 1 on 1 drills with J.O. and has picked up new offensive moves quickly. There is obviously some real potential seen by the management as well or he would be in the D league this fall instead of with us.
I hope I'm right too.
Cheers.

Man that is some great news if true. I really hope he reaches his potential.

Beach Rock
07-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah sorry no sources...I came across it a week ago when I was doing some research on the guy. The article actually said he was surprisingly going dunk for dunk with Jermaine in one on one low post drills and when taught a new mid range to low post one hand set shot(off a post up i assume) he hit high percentage of these shots. first time doing it. Jermaine is no pushover down low either. this could be just propoganda type stuff to get us all on board with this kid or it could be true. This stuff is insignificant to some fans but I love hearing this stuff and I put stock in it.

Denverb2b
07-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I hope I'm right too.
Cheers.

He is a late second round pick, he is raw, he has only played basketball 6-7 years, he has alot to learn and there is more of a chance of failure than there is success and thats why every team in the league passed him up for someone else in that draft.

What you read in articles by teammates and media is biased comments. What do you expect Jo to say in an interview about Jawai, he sucks? What do you expect our media and raptor brass to say about him, he sucks?

Nathan Jawai is a long shot, he has the body to do it, but does not have the skill at this point and I question wether you are sane. I will root for him to succeed as a fan of the raptors but I am not holding my breath that this guy will provide anything at the scale you suggest ever in his career. Further more if you have these special powers to predict stars lol, you would be a NBA GM, executive of the year every single year and lead your team to 50 straight yeras of championships

Beach Rock
07-26-2008, 01:57 PM
He is a late second round pick, he is raw, he has only played basketball 6-7 years, he has alot to learn and there is more of a chance of failure than there is success and thats why every team in the league passed him up for someone else in that draft.

I said I never heard of him till 2 months ago dude, not 2 minutes. I know all this but thanks.

"What you read in articles by teammates and media is biased comments. What do you expect Jo to say in an interview about Jawai, he sucks? What do you expect our media and raptor brass to say about him, he sucks?"

Again with the teaching...who the hell are you. You think I don't know this...read my last post...i said it could be propoganda. That's always possible...but based on what I've seen and heard...I boldly predict he will be a better pro than the great Hibbert in 2-3 yrs. Potentially a kendrick perkins type player.

"Nathan Jawai is a long shot, he has the body to do it, but does not have the skill at this point and I question wether you are sane. Further more if you have these special powers to predict stars lol, you would be a NBA GM, executive of the year every single year and lead your team to 50 straight yeras of championships"

Doubt my sanity hey. Don't worry about me pal...take care of yourself. I claim to have no special abilities above the averagefan. I'm just making a prediction based on the limited info a fan gets...I can't be any more polite with you than this either.

Tom Stone
07-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Everybody is jumping on the Jawai bandwagon because of a couple youtube videos. In a way it's nice to see because there is a ton of hype around this team right now, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's clear that Nathan is quite an athlete, but if he's going to come in and be such a "force" (your words) why wasn't he taken higher in the draft? You also mentioned that the Raptors are one of the weakest teams in the league, not too sure where you got that from, maybe it was your gift that told you that.:eyebrow:

One of the weekest teams.....oh I don't know.....probably because the last few years we were one of the last in rebounds and defence....I don't know what you concider weak.....but I would say that classafies....I didn't mean it as we were one of the worst teams.....And I don't jump on no bandwagan.....I think for myself and always have.....Try not to jump to conclutions........Peace

baileybwoy
07-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Anyone check out Grahams hilites? He looked pretty good, that one baseline reverse dunk at the end of the package is filthy.

travesy3
07-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I heard of him last year when Greece upset USA. Although I don't have expectations of him at this point, I would love for him to become a good young big man, especially this year, we have lost some significant depth, him stepping up would be huge.

koreancabbage
07-26-2008, 07:50 PM
yea, i'm hoping Joey bring something this year in his final year- he's actaully more MOBILE than in the past- his ball handling has vastly improved and can take people off the dribble. he's always been a robot in the past but maybe playing some streetball would help his fluency.

Adams has massive hops and can dunk from anywhere on the court. If Joey and Adams bring it next year, watch out Eastern Conference.

Bold prediction for starting line-up by 2/5 into the season

Calderon
Parker
Graham
Bosh
O'Neal

Beach Rock
07-26-2008, 07:54 PM
I heard of him last year when Greece upset USA. Although I don't have expectations of him at this point, I would love for him to become a good young big man, especially this year, we have lost some significant depth, him stepping up would be huge.

I might be wrong but I think you're talking about this guy -Sofoklis Schortsanitis. 6'9", 310 or so...plays for Greece. Nathan is Australian.
Cheers.

Tom Stone
07-26-2008, 08:14 PM
I might be wrong but I think you're talking about this guy -Sofoklis Schortsanitis. 6'9", 310 or so...plays for Greece. Nathan is Australian.
Cheers.

Yeah, your right..he just got mixed up because there both refered to as Baby shaq...the greece guy is only 6"7 but he's massive and mostly mussle....He made Dwight Howard look normal for a change.

jdot22
07-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Ummm Joey Graham? Still not sooooooo good ... lol

Who saw the Sixers game when the Raps were up at the end of the game ...

When Thadd. Young took it to Graham two times in a row in crunch ... take into the fact that Young had been going left all game long and not going right once ... you would think Joey might have picked up on that a forced him right ... but ya ... you know Joey ... got beat twice looking like a pylon as Young went to his left ... arghhh ....

Great talent ... low bball IQ I would say ... dont know if you can teach that ..