PDA

View Full Version : Telfair happy to be backup or starter

thesparky33
07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Telfair: "I'm happy"

Free to sign with any team he pleased, Sebastian Telfair finalized a new three-year contract (two years, his option on the third) Wednesday that brought him back to the Timberwolves and a place he now calls “home.”

He signed presumably to be Randy Foye’s backup, a distinction that neither he nor Kevin McHale say matters.

“I’m going to come in and work to do whatever Coach Wittman needs me to do,” Telfair said at a Target Center news conference on Wednesday. “If that’s as a starter, I’ll definitely go out there and do what a starter does. If that’s a backup, I’m going to come off the bench and give us a spark.” - http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wolves/2008/07/23/telfair-im-happy/

WSUJJ
07-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Good I am glad he is showing some act.

timberwolvesfan
07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Good, because he probably will come off he bench.

Hawkeye15
07-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Now the only player left to convince of a role is McCants. He is not a starter on a good team. But, he can be a 13-14 ppg spark off the bench. If he is willing to accept that role, our lockeroom will be very nice and peaceful. All good teams have chemistry, and understand their roles from 1-15. We need that badly.

thesparky33
07-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Now the only player left to convince of a role is McCants. He is not a starter on a good team. But, he can be a 13-14 ppg spark off the bench. If he is willing to accept that role, our lockeroom will be very nice and peaceful. All good teams have chemistry, and understand their roles from 1-15. We need that badly.
Well, I dont see McCants having a problem coming off the bench, especially since he should know that he'll come after Foye and Miller, so it's obvious that he wont start, at least IMO.

I notice McHale repeatedly say recently that he thinks we'll have a core group of 8-9 guys who will play lots of minutes. I think Rashad is in that group, and those 8-9 guys will be happy.

If I had to guess who those 8-9 guys were, here would be my guess:
1. Jefferson
2. Foye
3. Miller
4. Gomes
5. Telfair
6. McCants
7. Love
8. Brewer
9. Smith

eric1501
07-26-2008, 02:38 AM
I really think Telfair is going to improve alot this year no matter if he starts or not. This will be his 5th year in the league and it looks like he has matured a lot. I am looking forward to our offense running up and down the court.

boeknows
07-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Well, I dont see McCants having a problem coming off the bench,

I disagree with that. He had a problem last year coming off the bench n i think he will keep that problem this year.

Rome
08-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Been a die hard suns fan my whole life, but bassy is my favorite player in the league and I know his skills. He should of went to Louisville to develop his game, think he would be in a lot better shape right now and easily be the starter over foye. he's been improving a lot since coming into the league in 04 and I think he'll eventually win the battle for starter point.

The Lizard King
08-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Bassy will take what he can get at this point in his career.

Hawkeye15
08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I disagree with that. He had a problem last year coming off the bench n i think he will keep that problem this year.

agreed. I was so glad we got rid of Walker and Jaric, and their complaining attitudes. McCants is the only one left that worries me. Hopefully it will change, but did it not tick anyone else off but me that he would beat his chest after hitting a 3, when we were down 19 instead of getting back on defense? I just don't like his attitude, and the fact that he thinks he deserves to start.

IndiansFan337
08-09-2008, 03:52 PM
He has to be happy with whatever role the team gives him because he had no other options. No other team in the NBA would have signed Telfair to be their starter or 2nd string PG. He will be lucky to get 15+ mpg, IMO.

boeknows
08-09-2008, 06:39 PM
agreed. I was so glad we got rid of Walker and Jaric, and their complaining attitudes. McCants is the only one left that worries me. Hopefully it will change, but did it not tick anyone else off but me that he would beat his chest after hitting a 3, when we were down 19 instead of getting back on defense? I just don't like his attitude, and the fact that he thinks he deserves to start.

Yeah i completely agree with u here.

taijes
08-09-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm glad that we are keeping Telfair. I really like that kid. And I am in total agreement with you guys on McCants. IMO he hasn't lived up to his potential yet. Being a Tar Heel, I would think he would be farther along by now. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if we didn't keep him. But so far McHale has had a decent enough summer I think. (even though it pains me to admit it LOL) Hope you guys are enjoying your summer!