PDA

View Full Version : Tony Allen

Corey
07-24-2008, 02:26 PM
An interesting quote from Danny Ainge in the Globe:

"He's a slasher and attacks the rim. [Posey] is a spot-up shooter and he defends the bigger guys a little better than Tony," Ainge said. "But Tony moves his feet and fights through screens better than Posey and he can play a little point. When [Rajon Rondo] went down, he scored 16 points in the first half against LA and we won a big game on the road. We gain things - he gets to the rim and gets to the free throw line more than Pose. We'll miss Posey's experience and 3-point shooting, but Tony is a better defender than Posey.

What does everyone think of this?

What can we expect from Tony this upcoming season?

tonyd3b54
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
this is his last chance he blows this its pretty much over for tony...

Arac
07-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Yea, I've been thinking the same thing.

The injury is past now, I believe he's completly healed.

He needs to regain his confidence, and when he does, he'll show everyone that he was worthy of a second chance.

rufo4100
07-24-2008, 05:32 PM
An interesting quote from Danny Ainge in the Globe:

What does everyone think of this?

What can we expect from Tony this upcoming season?

I think Ainge is trying to pump up Tony Allen for the upcoming season.

I truely dont believe Tony was ever healthy last season and just when it "appeared" that he was finally getting healthy he tweaked his calf muscle and that basically ended his season. If Tony can return to form and do what he was doing in the 2006-2007 season before his injury than he will be extremly valuable to this team both as a player and maybe as a trade commodity.

As I have said before Tony might also prove to be great trade bate for later in the season if he plays well...he is under contract for 2 seasons and at a very inexpensive rate. If Tony plays good to start the season I wouldnt be shocked to see Tony and somebody else packaged in a deal to get say...Ron Artest. If Tony plays really well then we can just hold on to him and ride him into the playoffs.

I do expect Tony will have a good season and if he is healthy he will probably be the 6th man off the bench for us.

Celticsfan2007
07-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm excited for tony, and for the celtics. Hes very explosive and if he comes to camp healthy this year and gains confidence from day one, he could be THE #1 option off the bench for scoring and defense. I'm really glad we re-signed him.

cmoneytakemoney
07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I think Ainge is trying to pump up Tony Allen for the upcoming season.

I truely dont believe Tony was ever healthy last season and just when it "appeared" that he was finally getting healthy he tweaked his calf muscle and that basically ended his season. If Tony can return to form and do what he was doing in the 2006-2007 season before his injury than he will be extremly valuable to this team both as a player and maybe as a trade commodity.

As I have said before Tony might also prove to be great trade bate for later in the season if he plays well...he is under contract for 2 seasons and at a very inexpensive rate. If Tony plays good to start the season I wouldnt be shocked to see Tony and somebody else packaged in a deal to get say...Ron Artest. If Tony plays really well then we can just hold on to him and ride him into the playoffs.

I do expect Tony will have a good season and if he is healthy he will probably be the 6th man off the bench for us.

Yeah I think Ainge is trying to pump up Tony Allen by saying all that because TA is going to be the 6th man this year. He's going to be seeing the most minutes off the bench alongside Eddie House and I don't mind that at all. If Tony Allen is healthy he could be a 6th man of the year candidate I think. Ainge said Tony plays twice as good when he's getting more minutes and that he'll be getting Posey's minutes this year and I most definitely agree with that notion. I'm not worried about our bench with House and Allen but, I'd like to see us sign a PG. Darrell Armstrong is that guy I think.

kvrnm
07-24-2008, 08:10 PM
tony is going to have a good year. he will get more oppurtunities now, his injury should be basically healed, and he will get more confidence

69centers
07-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm all for Tony when he's at his best: attacking the rim, playing aggressive defense, and using his head. However, he's never seemed to put mistakes behind him that have nothing to do with his injury, like missing easy layups, committing dumb fouls, and most of all, getting his head back in the game after he makes a bad play. He seems to have one of the longest "recovery" times of any NBA player I've ever seen after a bad play. He just sinks his head, looks down at the floor, and shakes his head no, while the other team is running up the floor and getting an easy bucket.

If he can stop the nonsense plays that have us all scratching our heads, he can be a huge factor in any game the C's play. He just has to maintain focus and be consistent. It's been so long now, I still wonder if he'll ever get these things straight. The big factor is, we got him very cheap, and it's not against the cap, so the benefit of that outweighs his negative aspects.

Global Celtic
07-25-2008, 05:18 PM
I was at Rome in the Celtics-Raptors preseason game, last October. I remember being impressed by Tony's pregame warm-up.
He seemed like a scoring machine, with a sweet, almost perfect mid-range/long-range shot.

When he made a dunk in that game I thought "This is it. We have him back".

Almost a year later, I think I was wrong. We never had "Tony" back. Real Tony, the pre-injury, explosive and confident Tony. I really don't think he made enough to deserve this second chance, but I desperatly want to be wrong again!
I hope Doc and Danny are right about him.

Corey
07-25-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic towards the possibility of Tony regaining his confidence and swagger. I'd love for it to happen, and I think he could match Posey in terms of productivity (outside of 3pt shooting) on the court, but I don't fully expect it to happen.

I just remember the alley-oop reverse slam in game 6 against the Lakers in garbage time. I was like "Holy ****, he's finally back"...But we'll see.

bostncelts34
07-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Yea, I've been thinking the same thing.

The injury is past now, I believe he's completly healed.

He needs to regain his confidence, and when he does, he'll show everyone that he was worthy of a second chance.

agreed. No more excuses. HE has the skill to be a great 6th man for this team.

Corey
07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
agreed. No more excuses. HE has the skill to be a great 6th man for this team.

He has the skill, but he's lacked the confidence since he blew out his knee. He's not a great shooter, but that can always be worked on (ala Rajon Rondo), but he's going to be able to play Posey-Like defense regardless.

bostncelts34
07-26-2008, 05:26 PM
He has the skill, but he's lacked the confidence since he blew out his knee. He's not a great shooter, but that can always be worked on (ala Rajon Rondo), but he's going to be able to play Posey-Like defense regardless.

Agreed. HEs not a HORRIBLE shooter but definitly needs work. But Tony can get to the rim great, and used to be able to finish strong. If tony can get back to what he was, or close to it. That benefits this team greatly. And he will see alot of minutes backing up Ray and even Rondo at the point. Not to mention his defense to go along with it .

Suszynski88
07-27-2008, 06:30 AM
IMO, the most important thing, which Tony needs, is GOOD HEALTH !!!
That's da key-reason to him ! If he will be health all the time, i dont worry about him. He's good, so talented playa. Everyone knows dat.

I am sure that he can play v.good basketball !! I believe in TONY !!