PDA

View Full Version : Packers Re-sign Poppinga

chesseheads123
07-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Packers signed SLB Brady Poppinga to an undisclosed extension.

He'd been due $927,000 in the final year of his rookie deal. The BYU alum was a pass rusher in college, but Green Bay had asked him to do more covering to this point. They'll have Brandon Chillar do that now, and probably start. Poppinga's snaps will be cut, but he'll focus on his specialty; blitzing.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel .

Cullksinikers
07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Popponga huh? Is he good?

newdude
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Good,Poppinga is a solid LB, more depth for the team.

SDteacher
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
indifferent.

Martz
07-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I like the combo of him and Chillar. If they could split time, they could be dangerous.

servais77
07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
They probably had to sign someone to get to the minimum salary number to avoid penalties. Better to give to a Thompson draft pick than to flush it down the toilet.

Side note: I think Poppinga sucks and look forward to Chillar playing the majority of time.

XJW18
07-24-2008, 05:32 PM
he doesnt suck, but he isnt great also!

socalpkrbkr
07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Side note: I think Poppinga sucks and look forward to Chillar playing the majority of time.

No doubt Poppinga is tore back in pass coverage. The guy flat out can't cover and is a liability when he tries. He did get torched by some of the best in the league so I have to give him a little vote of confidence. There's definitely going to be a fierce competition for that job. Neither one of them is Lance Briggs.

hawkeye
07-24-2008, 05:35 PM
he doesnt suck, but he isnt great also!

He is the epitome of average

adrianmjz
07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
he is an average player, that plays more for the love of the game, than for the money.

XJW18
07-24-2008, 05:55 PM
he is an average player, that plays more for the love of the game, than for the money.

i would agree with that.

i like the guy!

hawkeye
07-24-2008, 06:01 PM

What are you, 8 years old? Grow up - he plays for the MILLIONS of dollars that he just signed for. How do you know of his great love of the game and lack of interest in cash anyway?

XJW18
07-24-2008, 06:09 PM
What are you, 8 years old? Grow up - he plays for the MILLIONS of dollars that he just signed for. How do you know of his great love of the game and lack of interest in cash anyway?

He'd been due $927,000 in the final year of his rookie deal

thts not quite a million! lol
im pretty sure he's makin allot of money.
not a million yet though

robdizzle3
07-24-2008, 06:14 PM
One thing Popps dies bring though is toughness and he can rush the passer plus he is a good tackler.Its good to see Chillar in so we can get some decent coverage on third down

Martz
07-24-2008, 06:45 PM

I believe it's shown on the field with his lack of athleticism, but sheer heart on ever play. He's kinda like Rocky, except very average.

...and not the heavyweight champion of the world...and not a boxer...so not really like Rocky...but he does have heart!

beast
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
One thing Popps dies bring though is toughness and he can rush the passer plus he is a good tackler.Its good to see Chillar in so we can get some decent coverage on third down

Don't we bring in the Nickel in got that?

robdizzle3
07-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Thats true but when we get to those 3rd and shorts and 3rdfives we will probably throw one of them out there

beast
07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Thats true but when we get to those 3rd and shorts and 3rdfives we will probably throw one of them out there

Poppinga if we think there going to run, Chillar if they have a good TE.

hughest4
07-25-2008, 02:51 AM
I actually like Poppinga on our team. I didn't like him starting for us because he was constantly getting burned by TE's and what not but now he shouldnt have to do that anymore. He is basically a 3-4 OLB so its going to be fun watching him go after the QB

favre_4life
07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Ive never been so dissapointed in a resigning. Dude is terrible. How many times did he get murdered by tight ends last year? Give me a break. That was one of the weak spots on our defense that i was hoping TT was going to address in the draft.

socalpkrbkr
07-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Ive never been so dissapointed in a resigning. Dude is terrible. How many times did he get murdered by tight ends last year? Give me a break. That was one of the weak spots on our defense that i was hoping TT was going to address in the draft.

He did his "best?" in addressing it through the FA pool. I had a certain someone else in mind but we've no need to get into that. Brandon Chillar will most likely split time with Pop but I would anticipate Brandon playing the majority of his snaps during passing situations. I like Chillar, he played great in college (UCLA:)) Honestly I think we will be fine at that position .