PDA

View Full Version : Future 2nd line(maybe next years)

letsgorangers27
07-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I was having a conversation with my friend the other day about all the Russian players the New York Rangers have in their system and on the team, with the acquisition of Nikolai Zherdev.

Russian hockey players are always very skilled, and very fast, and always seem to be modeled off the "Russian Rocket" himself, Pavel Bure, who once played for the Rangers. Now, it's only the summer and nothing is settled yet, but how sweet would an all-Russian second line be? Think about it, the team could have a second line of:

Nikolai Zherdev-Artem Anisimov-Alexei Cheraponov

Zherdev was acquired in a trade with the Columbus Blue Jackets just a few weeks ago while the center, Anisimov was drafted in the second round of the 2006 draft. The only concern would be the line's right winger, Cheraponov, who may have difficulty coming over to the National Hockey League from his league in Russia.

After a transfer agreement was reached last week, it seems that the problem is not as big as it was thought to be just last month, when TSN blasted the Rangers every opportunity they had on drafting him.

Now this is all talk, more like wishful thinking and I may be getting ahead of myself but I hope that if we can get all three of those players in Ranger blue at training camp, that they may all click.

All three players are fast and all can shoot the puck really well, with the playmaker being Anisimov, who has also developed defensive skills while playing for the Rangers' AHL affiliate Hartford Wolfpack.

If the line can't be united, then this talk was just a waste. But if it can, what a scary line it could be next season for the New York Rangers.
Want to write for Bleacher Report? We are a community of fans who write about sports. And we're growing. Click here to learn more.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/37135-new-york-rangers-russians-give-reason-for-wishful-thinking

letsgorangers27
07-24-2008, 11:53 AM
that would be a very scary line full of speed and skill. those russian kids are ridiculous.

redwhiteandblue
07-24-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't know if it would automatically scary or ridiculous. 2 of the 3 haven't proven themselves as anything in the league yet, and Zherdev's had one big year. I mean in 2 to 3 years could it be one? Maybe. But your right sometimes these fellow countrymen bond, so I've been a big fan of playing them together in any situation, you never know what you'll get. Plus our 1-2 centers are Gomez-Drury, I'm not so sure they'd switch that up to accomdate playing 3 Russians together.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
It has exciting potential but I dont see it happening next season. Cherpy may not even be here

letsgorangers27
07-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't know if it would automatically scary or ridiculous. 2 of the 3 haven't proven themselves as anything in the league yet, and Zherdev's had one big year. I mean in 2 to 3 years could it be one? Maybe. But your right sometimes these fellow countrymen bond, so I've been a big fan of playing them together in any situation, you never know what you'll get. Plus our 1-2 centers are Gomez-Drury, I'm not so sure they'd switch that up to accomdate playing 3 Russians together.

remember the czech line hlvack-nedved-dvorak how beast they were. but anyway with how last year was i wouldnt be suprised if drury got designated 3rd line duties or moved to the wings if/when it happens

letsgorangers27
07-24-2008, 01:35 PM
It has exciting potential but I dont see it happening next season. Cherpy may not even be here

i believe his contract w/ omsk is up after this season so next year is likely

SLY WILLIAMS
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
remember the czech line hlvack-nedved-dvorak how beast they were. but anyway with how last year was i wouldnt be suprised if drury got designated 3rd line duties or moved to the wings if/when it happens

In my opinion Drury is a center defensively but not a center offensively. He is not really a play maker. If I was the coach I would play him with a playmaker who can carry the rock. Drury can take the majority of draws but then go back to playing wing if need be as well.

messleetch94
07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
That would be a scary line. that would be fun to watch. Out of the three, I would say anisimov is the most far off. If those three never clicked, a line of zherdev/gomez/cherepanov would be fun to watch too.

yanks024
07-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Why not try to sign ilya Kovalchuck next season as he'd be a free agent and prob comman as much as hossa...the rangers will have cap room next year with people leaving im sure they will have some spending money...just a thought b/c u were speaking of russian players...zherdev and kovalchuk opposite each other would be sick...

messleetch94
07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Why not try to sign ilya Kovalchuck next season as he'd be a free agent and prob comman as much as hossa...the rangers will have cap room next year with people leaving im sure they will have some spending money...just a thought b/c u were speaking of russian players...zherdev and kovalchuk opposite each other would be sick...

They would still have to resign Zherdev, who will command between 4-5 mil. The Rangers really dont have that many guys who contracts are up after the year.

jetsfan89
07-24-2008, 07:12 PM
man that line would make the opposing coaches **** in their pants. i think anismov will grow into a playmaking center. i heard he has potential to play even the first line.

Amazin Mets
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
man....3 russians in one line? i'd do that...

redwhiteandblue
07-24-2008, 08:39 PM

I think depending on how some things play out it's possible. It was my first thought (Kovalchuk) but like mess said, it's not that simple. He's right Zherdev should command a nice penny, but if we make a few things happen (maybe unload Roszival next offseason?) we could have a legitimate shot at Kovalchuk.

Now having an established scorer in Kovalchuk, a potential first line playmaker in Anisimov and (granted he does have it) a Zherdev coming off of two productive improving seasons. Now that's a line I'd love to see as our number two. Then we can talk about moving Drury off, but I'm opposed to that as his maximum potential as a point producer will be reached there.

yanks024
07-25-2008, 12:00 AM
I think depending on how some things play out it's possible. It was my first thought (Kovalchuk) but like mess said, it's not that simple. He's right Zherdev should command a nice penny, but if we make a few things happen (maybe unload Roszival next offseason?) we could have a legitimate shot at Kovalchuk.

Now having an established scorer in Kovalchuk, a potential first line playmaker in Anisimov and (granted he does have it) a Zherdev coming off of two productive improving seasons. Now that's a line I'd love to see as our number two. Then we can talk about moving Drury off, but I'm opposed to that as his maximum potential as a point producer will be reached there.

yea i hear wat you guys are saying but i feel zherdev will be resigned this season so he doesnt go to free agency to try to command more money...plus i feel they could try to restructure contracts of like nazlund who signed for two years an d is ageing and i still feel they may be able to make some cap room plus the cap will increase a lil more next year so it could be possible to have him in a ranger uniform plus maybe even unload rozi and have sanguinetti come into play as he will prob be ready by then. cherpanov will be cheaper as he will get his entry contract...it was just a thought though but i see where the difficulty would come into play...

lamontenyr
07-25-2008, 11:40 AM
The line of Zherdev Anisimov and Cheraponov will be a fast, young, skilled, energized line who the Rangers will have to give a chance. Unfortunately, like everybody has basically said, this will have to wait for the '09-'10 season. It will give Anisimov another year to come into his own and Cheraponov another year to prepare himself for the NHL. I doubt Sather and Renney want Drury on the 3rd line again either. Dru may not be a playmaker but he still proved he can score goals, and important ones at that. There are still so many options for the Rangers 2nd line. Dru will be at center and I think Dawes has enough skill to be a legitimate 2nd line scorer. We'll probably have to make one more move this offseason, and this is where we should focus that on. As much as I love prucha, there really is no room for him on the team. If we can unload his 1.5 mil (I think) contract, there may be enough cap space to pick up vermette at around 2.5-3 mil (26 yrs old, 51 pts last season). He sure can help.

messleetch94
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
The line of Zherdev Anisimov and Cheraponov will be a fast, young, skilled, energized line who the Rangers will have to give a chance. Unfortunately, like everybody has basically said, this will have to wait for the '09-'10 season. It will give Anisimov another year to come into his own and Cheraponov another year to prepare himself for the NHL. I doubt Sather and Renney want Drury on the 3rd line again either. Dru may not be a playmaker but he still proved he can score goals, and important ones at that. There are still so many options for the Rangers 2nd line. Dru will be at center and I think Dawes has enough skill to be a legitimate 2nd line scorer. We'll probably have to make one more move this offseason, and this is where we should focus that on. As much as I love prucha, there really is no room for him on the team. If we can unload his 1.5 mil (I think) contract, there may be enough cap space to pick up vermette at around 2.5-3 mil (26 yrs old, 51 pts last season). He sure can help.

I like Prucha. the fans like him too. But I do believe he is on the block. He was a healthy scratch down the stretch. Hopefully he can click in training camp and they could use him to his full potential. He's gritty and never backs down. guys are always taking runs at him. to get max potential, he should be second line.

CurseThis
07-28-2008, 08:47 PM
The problem is that both Chere and Zherdev play RW. While Chere can also play the LW, he's more effective on the RW.

On the flip side, if Anisimov gets moved to wing, which he probably will given the depth we currently have, he'd play LW. So, maybe he would play on the opposite wing of Chere or Zherdev.

Also, I shudder at the thought of Zherdev and Chere on the same line simply because neither one is all that great at back checking and playing defense. Zherdev showed some improvement last season, but Chere is awful... which is why sticking one with Anisimov who plays two-way hockey would probably be the best combo in terms of balancing out the line.

jetsfan89
07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
The problem is that both Chere and Zherdev play RW. While Chere can also play the LW, he's more effective on the RW.

On the flip side, if Anisimov gets moved to wing, which he probably will given the depth we currently have, he'd play LW. So, maybe he would play on the opposite wing of Chere or Zherdev.

Also, I shudder at the thought of Zherdev and Chere on the same line simply because neither one is all that great at back checking and playing defense. Zherdev showed some improvement last season, but Chere is awful... which is why sticking one with Anisimov who plays two-way hockey would probably be the best combo in terms of balancing out the line.

like anisimov