PDA

View Full Version : Colon working his way back

RedSoxtober
07-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Barring set backs, Colon should be throwing a BP session today (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080721&content_id=3170671&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos) (Thursday, July 24). He increased his long toss to 120ft at the start of the week. I think the Sox have been moving deliberately slowly with him with the intent of letting him throw as much, as hard as he wants in Aug/Sep. They'd rather having him battling to stay in the game when it counts than rehabbing during the stretch.

Tragedy
07-24-2008, 09:48 AM
I still maintain that the Colon signing was absolutely fantastic. He was helping our club at a time when Matsuzaka was out, Beckett wasn't Beckett, and Buchholz was in AAA.

He gave us (I forget th exact number) about 4-7 quality starts, and that's more than what a lot of people expected.

If he can come back and contribute in August/September and help keep the likes of Beckett/Matsuzaka healthy for the potential Playoff run, I'm very pleased.

lil'papi
07-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Can we get him ready to trade?

Send him to the Pirates eat his salary for Damaso...... :D

But, yes I agree he has been a smart move. Nothing to lose and we actually gained. win-win.....

Towelie
07-24-2008, 02:16 PM
He's never gonna pitch healthy again.

J-DAWGS SOX
07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
i agree with us signing colon. it so far has been all reward and no risk. it seems like he pitches well enough to win, when he pitches. so far this year he will make a few starts then go on the dl, make a few more starts and back to the dl. hopefully when we really need him in sept., it will be on the turn of making a few starts. i dont see him pitching beyond this year though. seems like hes just treading water right now and doing all he can just to try and stay healthy enough to pitch.

KmB728
07-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Hes been a great addition this season... not many people expected much out of him, but he got us like 4 wins, and helped us out a ton

RedSoxtober
07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
I still maintain that the Colon signing was absolutely fantastic. He was helping our club at a time when Matsuzaka was out, Beckett wasn't Beckett, and Buchholz was in AAA.

He gave us (I forget th exact number) about 4-7 quality starts, and that's more than what a lot of people expected.

If he can come back and contribute in August/September and help keep the likes of Beckett/Matsuzaka healthy for the potential Playoff run, I'm very pleased.

Six starts, three quality starts. He had two starts with 3ER or less but only 5IP.

Can we get him ready to trade?

Send him to the Pirates eat his salary for Damaso...... :D

But, yes I agree he has been a smart move. Nothing to lose and we actually gained. win-win.....

Wishful thinking. If his side goes well then he might be able to get into a minor league game or two. Not sure if that's enough to entice the scouts for a deadline deal.

Right now I'm wondering more about Pauley and Zink if Buchholz falters. Both are having solid seasons.

The Intimidator
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Colon, if he's healthy can really help us down the stretch. He has postseason experience with both the Indians and the Angels, and is 2-3 with a 3.66 ERA and 1 complete game in 9 career postseason games. Now, while that isn't exactly Beckett-like, a 3.66 ERA is nothing to scoff at. A 6 inning, 3 run start is what he is capable of giving us whenever he is out there, and I will take that any time I can get it.

JacobyIsMyHomie
07-24-2008, 09:10 PM
I think our post-season rotation right now has to be:

Beckett
Lester
Wakefield
Dice-K

The Intimidator
07-24-2008, 10:12 PM

Beckett
Lester
Wakefield
Dice-K

a bit too early to be mapping out the playoff rotation, isn't it?

RedSoxRok34
07-24-2008, 11:06 PM

Beckett
Lester
Wakefield
Dice-K

let's worry about getting there 1st, then we'll figure out the rotation

Tragedy
07-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Six starts, three quality starts. He had two starts with 3ER or less but only 5IP.
And for a number 5 starter that was honestly expected to do very little, we have to be SO very happy with that production.

It's one of those low risk, high reward type of things. While he's obviously not giving us 100 IP for the year, what he gave us in those few starts was a chance to win, and I like that.

RedSoxtober
07-25-2008, 08:01 AM
^^^ I wasn't critiquing, only filling in the blanks you'd left.

I think Colon is adequate to the task but I am concerned now that he won't sustain anything. I (gulp) agree to an extent with Towelie that he may not stay in pitching form very long.

sboyajian
07-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I'd rather see him move to the pen. I don't think he can handle long outtings at this point in his career but to see him for 1 or 2 innings every 2 or 3 days I think would keep him fresh for some time (and he could be very effective)

lil'papi
07-25-2008, 08:49 AM
^^ not so sure he had hit the dead shoulder syndrome almost every pitcher faces with extended absences. He got ~hurt~ just at the right time to recover from the shoulder fatigue.
Remember his last two starts velocity was waning. I look for him to be really strong. I also agree we need to keep the starters that go deep in between guys that aren't. So the pen gets a reprieve.

Dice K has to go 7 from now on out, Beckett needs to step up too. Both those things happen we sittin pretty.

RedSoxtober
08-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Bartolo Colon will start for Pawtucket tonight as he works his way back from a lower back strain.

Source: Boston Globe

lil'papi
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
......... just let him pitch Buchholz's road starts? The fat toad should be strong again.

Tragedy
08-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm all for letting Colon take the rest of Clay's starts this year. He clearly isn't doing what we need him to do; He's primed for a good season next year, hopefully.

RedSoxtober
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
32 pitches, 18 strikes got him through 2/3 of an inning. 4H, 1BB, 3Er, 1K. Kinda ugly.

RedSoxtober
08-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Bartolo Colon pitched yesterday for Pawtucket as he continues his rehab. Colon, who didn't last a full inning in his first appearance, went three innings yesterday. He gave up three hits and struck out three, allowing no walks or runs. He threw 34 pitches, 27 strikes
Source: Boston Globe

I suspect that in another 2-3 starts, building to 70+ pitches, we'll see Colon back in the Boston rotation.