PDA

View Full Version : Landry Next To Bolt Overseas?

phlp_bj
07-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Houston's Carl Landry may be the next NBA player to turn away offers from NBA teams to cash in overseas, his agent has told the Houston Chronicle.

"Carl would entertain all serious offers," Landry's agent, Buddy Baker, told Houston television station KRIV-TV on Wednesday. "There is serious interest in Carl by both other NBA teams and internationally."

On Wednesday former Hawks forward Josh Childress surprisingly made the jump from the NBA to Euroleague despite being wanted by Atlanta.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5904656.html

DreamShaker
07-24-2008, 09:46 AM
He's just trying to scare the Rockets....

awr0430
07-24-2008, 10:40 AM
^^^Pretty much. Most people are just falling into the Euro BS hype. You can go over there and play well and dominate those people but where is the competitiveness in that. If you decide to come back to the NBA you will still be the same average player.

arlubas
07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
^^^Pretty much. Most people are just falling into the Euro BS hype. You can go over there and play well and dominate those people but where is the competitiveness in that. If you decide to come back to the NBA you will still be the same average player.

Let me just remind you that there have been huge busts as well. Euro ball ain't necessarily worse than the NBA like most americans want to believe (despite team USA's continuous failures in international competitions lately). It's just different. A player from the NBA may be physically and individually better than the average Euro player but that don't mean he is better than him in a team and defense first oriented game like the European one.

uchiha
07-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Greece or Atlanta.. wow that is a hard decision

lakers4sho
07-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Let me just remind you that there have been huge busts as well. Euro ball ain't necessarily worse than the NBA like most americans want to believe (despite team USA's continuous failures in international competitions lately). It's just different. A player from the NBA may be physically and individually better than the average Euro player but that don't mean he is better than him in a team and defense first oriented game like the European one.

Are you serious? I don't see any defense in Radmanovic and Gasol :shrug:

Knowledge
07-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Kobe said European style Basketball is more physical because you can actually put your hands on offensive player. In the NBA they got rid of all that stuff, so i can see why a lot of Europeans struggles with D.

awr0430
07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
^^^That actually makes the game easier if you can hand check someone. the only people who would benefit from that is the outstanding defensive players. haven't seen many from Europe. It takes more effort to stop someone you cant put your hands on. But at the same time is more tiring physically. So its really not that bad.

awr0430
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Which could explain why they don't perform as well offensively with few exceptions.

KB24PG16
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
we should because he isnt going to get much in the nba landry wants to get dat money

bogdanrom
07-24-2008, 02:58 PM

In Europe they play a lot of zone defense. Actually I don't think any team plays man to man anymore. They play defense as a team, not just one person.

lakers4sho
07-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm not really up to date with European basketball, so pardon me of my igorance :sigh:

BALLER71
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Landry, do the smart thing.
Go overseas and get your money

arlubas
07-24-2008, 03:43 PM
In Europe they play a lot of zone defense. Actually I don't think any team plays man to man anymore. They play defense as a team, not just one person.

Yeap, that's exactly it even though the two examples given before aren't the best ones. Gasol never really had to play defense cause he was just that good offensively that he would play by default in the team. As for Vujacic, the guy pretty much learned to play ball in the NBA since he's been there since he was a teenager so I didn't expect him to turn out as a great defender anyway. But on the real issue, teams in Europe still play man to man, they just switch to zone D a lot in games. It's whatever suits them better depending on how the game goes really.

Oh and here are some guys that have spent a large ammount of their career in Europe and are very good defenders right now in the NBA: Manu, Varejao, Scola, Divac (now retired) etc. Obviously they learn how to flop over here as well as play D. :p

oldenpolynice
07-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Landry may get more money overseas, but you have to remember that the Euro is also a lot stronger than the dollar. Living arrangements, clothes, food, everything is more expensive over there.

So, in the end, it may not be the best financial decision after all.

Jezeble
07-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Landry may get more money overseas, but you have to remember that the Euro is also a lot stronger than the dollar. Living arrangements, clothes, food, everything is more expensive over there.

So, in the end, it may not be the best financial decision after all.

Actually, most teams cover living expenses for foreign players. If I remember correctly, Josh Childress's deal includes a luxury apartment, car and driver, maid services, etc. Not bad, considering most of your money would go towards covering these expenses. The mystery to me is, why aren't more NBA player making the move? My job brings me into direct contact with quite a few of these organizations, and I am often amazed at how well-run most of them are, and the support and adulation the players get from the fans. It is a great situation for any professional athlete to find himself in.