PDA

View Full Version : Sixers Sign Royal Ivey.

Iggydelphia
07-24-2008, 04:05 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20080724_Sixers_reach_agreement_with_free-agent_Ivey.html

dnasty
07-24-2008, 04:10 AM
I heard this name maybe once or twice in the last couple of weeks,but who is he?I hear hes very tough on D,stands about 6ft.4 maybe 5 but thats all I no. Is this a good signing 4 the 6ers? which takes up one salary at league min. and is he a sufficent shooter which they so badly need? IAM ALL EARS,some FEEDBACK PLEASE.anybody but a dead body

Iggydelphia
07-24-2008, 04:30 AM
i beat u to it by 5 minutes lol... im sure they can merge it.. he scored 17 against the sixers in that game where we held them to 60something.. hes just what we need... a cheap guard off the bench with some upside..

Liney3506
07-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Merge.

Liney3506
07-24-2008, 05:00 AM
This isn't exactly the signing that we hoped for. He has a very poor Net48 PER (his efficiency vs. his opponents). But hey, if he was signed for the minimum, I guess we shouldn't be complaining to much, eh?

Iggydelphia
07-24-2008, 05:20 AM
nah we shouldn't. In all seriousness, (IMO) the main thing that you ask of a guard off the bench (of Ivey's caliber) is just to play good defense and limit the turnovers.. From what i heard he plays tough defense.. and he has a career 2.11 assist/turnover ratio which is decent..

Mrphilly
07-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Was kevin ollie not available???

Shieldsz
07-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Sweet. No I HONESTLY like this kid. Hes fast , plays good defense and he plays well when he gets the minutes. We probably got him for REALLY cheap too. .Not a bad signing, but this PROBABLY means no more Jamont Gordon :sigh:

Shieldsz
07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YRPQKjSl-kE

What the hell is with us getting players that like penis and testicles. Reggie Evans grabbed Kaman, and Ivey punches Gray's

This kid seems like a really big dick as a teammate and is very "aggresive" in bad ways.

JtotheMurphy
07-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Ivey dropped some points on us once or twice I believe. I think he is a solid replacement for Kevin Ollie, who is more suited for an assistant coach role at this point in his career.

Sixerlover
07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
I remember him from Texas with T.J Ford, then he was drafted to the Hawks and I didn't hear much about him. I'll have to see what he has done in the L before I make any judgements about Jamont.

Shieldsz
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Positives: He's played a good amount of NBA time with the Bucks, so I'm sure he has matured basketball-wise. He is BIG for a PG at 6'4, and is very athletic.

Negatives: He can't shoot the ball well (something we needed), hes not a true PG, he grabs guy's balls.

He was drafted by the Hwaks, then signed to the Bucks where he played around 20 minutes a game over 70 games.

FNM BOY
07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I guess they have another plan for a shooter...I know nothing about this guy....hope he can play...who would any of you guys liken his game too??

Shieldsz
07-24-2008, 09:20 AM
He can't shoot. Hes pretty limited offensively but he's "getting" better.

I do like this because this means you never know what Ed has up his sleeve. This means he could be after Rush.. no one knows.

FNM BOY
07-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I sure do hope so!

Ase22
07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
For those of you that don't know much about Ivey - he is basically a faster, more athletic version of Kevin Ollie. He's a very solid defender and has good size but he's not really a scorer by any means. He probably won't see too many minutes and I wouldn't expect more than 5 or 6 a game off the bench. But for a minimum salary contract he's a nice guy to have at the end of the bench. Nothing more.

DR.J9
07-24-2008, 09:40 AM
I guess its ok. But i wanted Jamont..

FNM BOY
07-24-2008, 09:40 AM
^^Is he a good slasher....good at getting to the basket??....the compariosn to Kevin Ollie doesn't say much to me.

SeoulBeatz
07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
For those of you that don't know much about Ivey - he is basically a faster, more athletic version of Kevin Ollie. He's a very solid defender and has good size but he's not really a scorer by any means. He probably won't see too many minutes and I wouldn't expect more than 5 or 6 a game off the bench. But for a minimum salary contract he's a nice guy to have at the end of the bench. Nothing more.

**** you andrew, get out of the sixers forum foo.

BChydro86
07-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Sweet. No I HONESTLY like this kid. Hes fast , plays good defense and he plays well when he gets the minutes. We probably got him for REALLY cheap too. .Not a bad signing, but this PROBABLY means no more Jamont Gordon :sigh:

jamont can go to the d-league.

more defense is never a bad thing. good signing.

ryguy553
07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
This guys not a shooter by any means. Why couldnt we have signed a guy like Kareem Rush, Salim Stoudamire, or Juan Dixon who can all stroke it from three. Rush is the best of the bunch from downtown and he couldve been had for the vet minimum, plays pretty good d too. Oh well don't really get the signing.

Ase22
07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
**** you andrew, get out of the sixers forum foo.

Shouldn't you be making music or something...you don't belong here anymore.

Sixersfan41
07-24-2008, 10:22 AM
If the man can D it up that works for me, but we can sign other guys for the min right so we can sign one of those guys listed before?

BChydro86
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
This guys not a shooter by any means. Why couldnt we have signed a guy like Kareem Rush, Salim Stoudamire, or Juan Dixon who can all stroke it from three. Rush is the best of the bunch from downtown and he couldve been had for the vet minimum, plays pretty good d too. Oh well don't really get the signing.

we still can.

SeoulBeatz
07-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Shouldn't you be making music or something...you don't belong here anymore.

**** na man, im getting blazed and watching american psycho right now. then im going to ****in upstate new york for some reason. ***** gonna be awful.

as for royal ivey, dude is iight, better than kevin ollie, and that's all that matters.

AddVance
07-24-2008, 10:40 AM

^^I don't think so... I'll explain why in a minute...

we still can.

"The Sixers see Ivey as an off-the-bench complement to Williams because of his size and defensive ability. He averaged 5.6 points and 2.1 assists in 75 games last season, making 20 starts. He entered the league in 2004-05 as a second-round draft choice of the Hawks." - Philly.com (http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080724_Sixers_reach_agreement_with_free-agent_Ivey.html)

All of you have read this article (or I assume you have)... Does anyone think that this is the end for Willie Green? Look at our new (projected) starting lineup =
C - Samuel Dalembert
PF - Elton Brand
SF - Thaddeus Young
SG - Andre Iguodala
PG - Andre Miller...

So he's out of the starting five... And if you note what I have bolded, that means that the Sixers plan on playing him and Lou together. So here's the backups:
C - Jason Smith
PF - Reggie Evans
SF - Royal Ivey
SG - Willie Green
PG - Lou Williams

Ok... Seeing as though Either Young or Iguodala is gonna be on the floor 100% of the time, that moves Ivey to SG... So where does Willie Green fit? He's not the shooter we need, and Lou already has the scorer's role of the bench. Ivey is a much, MUCH better defender... So what do we need him for? Physically, Ivey and Green are basically the same player. I think they're going to trade him.

And we can still sign Jamont Gordon to be the third point. We only have nine guys (including Ivey) under contract. Re-sign Iggy and Williams and that makes 11. Gordon would get the last roster spot. I think that Green is the trade bait (in the Sixers' eyes) to get our shooter, probably a SF/big SG (i.e. Kareem Rush in a sign-and-trade)...

That's just what I got out of this move... LOL... This is a good look in my opinion...

AirJordanXVIII
07-24-2008, 10:52 AM
I really like this. He was a great replacement for Redd when he was injured. He got his points, assists and wasnt that bad at grabbing boards...

Very good signing.. ALthough a better shooter would of been a little bit more better.

ryguy553
07-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Hydro, how do you figure we can still sign a guy like Rush or Dixon??? We already used the vet min. on Ivey, and according to stefanski thats all we had available. Are you thinking of an unlikely sign and trade?

AirJordanXVIII
07-24-2008, 11:14 AM
^^ Ditto.

Sports Illustrator
07-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Royal Ivey is a solid player, hes a very good defensive player and somewhat of a good shooter. He has potential and could very well be an asset on many teams in the league. Last year he was a role player with the Bucks, playing 19 minutes per night. Coming to the Sixers could either hurt his NBA career since he'll be on a solid team, or it can revive his career greatly. Most importantly, what will determine him to be a good player or not is how the coaches and trainers develop him. He's got all the mechanics to be a solid player in the NBA, just needs more learning and experience.

AirJordanXVIII
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
^^ Good post...

Cheeks has a good knack for working with young players, getting them PT and letting them improve.

Ase22
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Royal Ivey is a solid player, hes a very good defensive player and somewhat of a good shooter. He has potential and could very well be an asset on many teams in the league. Last year he was a role player with the Bucks, playing 19 minutes per night. Coming to the Sixers could either hurt his NBA career since he'll be on a solid team, or it can revive his career greatly. Most importantly, what will determine him to be a good player or not is how the coaches and trainers develop him. He's got all the mechanics to be a solid player in the NBA, just needs more learning and experience.

I don't see how you can say he's somewhat of a good shooter. In his 19 minutes a night last year he shot under 40%. Scoring is just no his game, and thats not why we picked him up. He's a solid end of the bench guy but I can't see him ever becoming the 6th, 7th, or 8th guy off the bench. I agree he still has some potential and needs coaching but he can only grow so much. I think he'll play similar minutes to what Ollie played last year (7 mpg). He's a step up from Ollie for sure but he's not going to play a big role on this team.

ryguy553
07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I kinda agree, we should have signed Rush we probably could have had him for the vet min. Oh well. Dixon would have provided 3 point punch too. Does anyone get this move?

BChydro86
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Hydro, how do you figure we can still sign a guy like Rush or Dixon??? We already used the vet min. on Ivey, and according to stefanski thats all we had available. Are you thinking of an unlikely sign and trade?

as far as im aware we can sign as many players as we want for the minimum.

nothin but net
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
i like it, if it means he took Ollies roster spot, because we obviously dont need both. does anyone know what Ollies status is?

BChydro86
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
hes a FA....prolly gonna retire or play in europe.

thats just my guess....no NBA team is gonna sign a career backup PG in his mid 30s who cant score and is slowing down defensively.

stevedusps
07-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I was under the impression we had to have at least 12 people under contract and assuming we sign Iggy and Lou thats still only 11, so we have to sign somebody else, which I thought you could sign anybody to the vet min even if you were over the cap. Were in a good situation bc people are gonna want to sign with a good team to win if theyre gonna just get the min anyway so I hope we sign Rush and Maglore too.

ryguy553
07-24-2008, 12:34 PM
no we cant keep signing for the vet minimum because we are at the cap limit.

BChydro86
07-24-2008, 12:37 PM
then how come boston was able to get sam cassell AND scott pollard AND eddie house, AND PJ brown when they were over the cap last season?

im not sure about james posey...did they sign him to the minimum too, or was that a trade?

HipSlappyJoe
07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
aw man i wanted juan dixon. is dana barros available?

ryguy553
07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I dont know that they were over the cap. All I know is that when Ed was talking he made it seem like they could sign one guy for the vet minimum and that was their limit.

HipSlappyJoe
07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
then how come boston was able to get sam cassell AND scott pollard AND eddie house, AND PJ brown AND while they were over the cap last season?

not

cuz the nba is corrupt

BChydro86
07-24-2008, 12:41 PM
yes, the NBA is corrupt, but that has nothing to do with being able to sign players for the minimum.

stevedusps
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I copied this from a website
MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY EXCEPTION -- Teams can offer players minimum salary contracts even if they are over the cap. Contracts can be up to two years in length. For two year contracts, the second season salary is the minimum salary for that season. The contract may not contain a signing bonus. This exception also allows minimum salary players to be acquired via trade. There is no limit to the number of players that can be signed or acquired using this exception.

This exception begins to reduce in value after the first day of the season. For example, if there are 180 days in the season, then this exception reduces in value by 1/180 of its initial value each day. If a team signs a minimum salary player 90 days into the season, it can pay the player only half the minimum salary.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#19

So yes you can sign as many Vet Min as you want so we can still get Rush and hopefully Maglore

McPeak92
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I like this signing, he offers us a lot more than Kevin Ollie can and is a pretty decent shooter(hes no Pat Carroll but he is decent.) Good signing Ed.

flyboy193
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I think ED probably thought that ivey was the best player available that will take the minimum right know

So if we could sign other players for the minimum then this was not a bad signing

BChydro86
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
you can just look at teams like the celtics and spurs who have filled out their roster with 3 or 4 vets making the minimum.

phillyphan4ever
07-24-2008, 01:00 PM
not bad at all, i like it a lot as long as we get a shooter

stevedusps
07-24-2008, 01:00 PM
That website has everything in it. We do need to have at least 13 people signed and need to dress at least 8. The 13 are 12 active and 1 inactive, if they dont they can be surcharged. Thats number 64 on that website.

flyboy193
07-24-2008, 01:14 PM
That website has everything in it. We do need to have at least 13 people signed and need to dress at least 8. The 13 are 12 active and 1 inactive, if they dont they can be surcharged. Thats number 64 on that website.

So We Need to at least sign 2 more players assuming iggy and lou sign:clap::clap: RUSH AND David Harrison

MylesKong
07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I think he's the best defender out of the available bunch. That's why we got him. Trust in Ed.

phillyphan4ever
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM
So We Need to at least sign 2 more players assuming iggy and lou sign:clap::clap: RUSH AND David Harrison

i wouldnt mind them two

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 02:29 PM
i love this guy... haha.

flyboy193
07-24-2008, 02:39 PM
i love this guy... haha.

Who Me

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
no ivey...

Jeff Boyd
07-24-2008, 03:48 PM
I honestly think Ollie is better then Ivey.

FreeseDogg
07-24-2008, 03:55 PM
this is what i know about royal ivey:

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1935196.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F1069B72C47BECCD0F8B 5A5397277B4DC33E

video of the dunk here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4YSAcoF2Ys&watch_response

let's hope his defense has improved since then. and remember to let someone else guard him when we play memphis. but seriously, we've got room on the bench for a defender signed at the minimum. now let's go out and get 1 more guard (one who can shoot from outside) and sign a body to be our inactive slot and call it a roster.

jtrinaldi
07-24-2008, 04:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natJK96nU_g&NR=1

suspended 1 game for hitting gray in the nuts remember

AirJordanXVIII
07-24-2008, 04:28 PM
The rule is that you can sign as much people for with the veteran's mininum to fill out your roster right? Even if you have no cap space. RIght?

Shieldsz
07-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Yep. When I own a team I am going to have every player on the vets minimum. I will be the coach, GM, and a starter as well, and the games will be broadcasted in a park.

Frugal

MattCisco
07-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Forget Jamont Gordon, he recently joined the Golden State Warriors Rockie Mountain Revue team. This is on his wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamont_Gordon

Shieldsz
07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Why? Of course hes playing for summer league teams. He'll be like 4th string there, and 4th string here.. if anything I expect him to go to some other unexpected team

MattCisco
07-24-2008, 04:56 PM
By the way I like the Ivey signing, he was a phenominal defender at Texas. He also has games where he goes off (A la Willie Burton), like Burton he will be limited in his offensive game, but eruptions will happen. Woo hoo I got a Willie Burton Reference in, (Side note, my mom delivered Willie Burton's baby, she asked who he was when he was signing me an autograph and he was like, you don't know who I am, I AM WILLIE BURTON! I love that that scrub was big shotting, had to get the Willie Burton story in).

MJRiley26
07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
^^I don't think so... I'll explain why in a minute...

"The Sixers see Ivey as an off-the-bench complement to Williams because of his size and defensive ability. He averaged 5.6 points and 2.1 assists in 75 games last season, making 20 starts. He entered the league in 2004-05 as a second-round draft choice of the Hawks." - Philly.com (http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080724_Sixers_reach_agreement_with_free-agent_Ivey.html)

All of you have read this article (or I assume you have)... Does anyone think that this is the end for Willie Green? Look at our new (projected) starting lineup =
C - Samuel Dalembert
PF - Elton Brand
SF - Thaddeus Young
SG - Andre Iguodala
PG - Andre Miller...

So he's out of the starting five... And if you note what I have bolded, that means that the Sixers plan on playing him and Lou together. So here's the backups:
C - Jason Smith
PF - Reggie Evans
SF - Royal Ivey
SG - Willie Green
PG - Lou Williams

Ok... Seeing as though Either Young or Iguodala is gonna be on the floor 100% of the time, that moves Ivey to SG... So where does Willie Green fit? He's not the shooter we need, and Lou already has the scorer's role of the bench. Ivey is a much, MUCH better defender... So what do we need him for? Physically, Ivey and Green are basically the same player. I think they're going to trade him.

And we can still sign Jamont Gordon to be the third point. We only have nine guys (including Ivey) under contract. Re-sign Iggy and Williams and that makes 11. Gordon would get the last roster spot. I think that Green is the trade bait (in the Sixers' eyes) to get our shooter, probably a SF/big SG (i.e. Kareem Rush in a sign-and-trade)...

That's just what I got out of this move... LOL... This is a good look in my opinion...

Speights?

Liney3506
07-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Speights will earn his role, just as Thad did last year. Thad didn't play meaningful minutes until later in the season, so why should we expect different for Speights?

flyboy193
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
True Speights Will Have To Earn His Minutes

Sixerlover
07-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Of course, but by the all star break we can expect to see Speights for about 15 mins a game.

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah I think 15 mins is just about right.

AddVance
07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Speights?

People might cut my balls off for saying this, but Speights may be better served to be in the D-League until either someone declines, gets traded or hurt...

Let him kill in the D-League and hone his skills instead of rotting on the bench...

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
:cuts off addvance's balls: He won't be demoted to the D-League unless he duds it during the season.

Liney3506
07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
:cuts off addvance's balls: He won't be demoted to the D-League unless he duds it during the season.

Well, on the bright side, it did light a fire under LouWill's ***.

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 10:16 PM
:nod:

Jeff Boyd
07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
People might cut my balls off for saying this, but Speights may be better served to be in the D-League until either someone declines, gets traded or hurt...

Let him kill in the D-League and hone his skills instead of rotting on the bench...

I dont know man, if he has to go to the D-League that just proves my point that it was a horrible draft.

flyboy193
07-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I dont know man, if he has to go to the D-League that just proves my point that it was a horrible draft.

CauSE He GOeS To ThE D-LeAgUe DoEsNoT MeAn It Was A HoRriBlE PiCk

Jeff Boyd
07-24-2008, 10:25 PM
CauSE He GOeS To ThE D-LeAgUe DoEsNoT MeAn It Was A HoRriBlE PiCk

Well yes it does. We need help now. Not 5 years from now when he can step in for E.B.

flyboy193
07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Well yes it does. We need help now. Not 5 years from now when he can step in for E.B.

We GoT BrANd DuHh::smoking:

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Anyways.

Jeff Boyd
07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Exactly, we dont need a young backup PF to be drafted if we are just going to put him in the D-league.

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Who speights? He isnt going to be in the dleague.

SaintHollowTips
07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
ha - when i saw someone mention his name in a list of FAs im like - yeeea... that's probably who the Sixers will sign. I don't hate the signing - but it def could be worse. Ivey never really got quality time in Atlanta... and the Bucks weren't a good fit for him. He should do well with the Sixers... hustle defender...

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
I liked ivey when he played for atlanta.

Shieldsz
07-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah so did I..

Jeff Boyd
Who speights? He isnt going to be in the dleague.

I hope not, but thats what the guy earlier in the thread suggested.

Jeff Boyd
He cant shoot.

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 10:54 PM
yeah it was a dumb suggestion.

Sixerlover
07-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Speights in the D-League? Come on..

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 10:57 PM
thank you sl.

Jeff Boyd
07-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Speights in the D-League? Come on..

I hope not, but I dont think it's as far fetched as you might think. Remember EB is going to get a lot of burn. Im sure Thad will play some 4 and then we have Evans and Jason Smith.

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 11:03 PM
yeah it is as far fetched as I may think.

nothin but net
07-24-2008, 11:58 PM
i highly doubt speights avgs. 15 minutes after the allstar break

Shieldsz
07-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Thad should not be SEEN playing the 4 now. We have BRAND-Evans- Smith

Thad should ONLY play 3... we have no backup SF beside have thad come out, and move iggy to 3 and someone to 2.

Mrphilly
07-25-2008, 12:44 AM
So let me get this straight...You guys hate Wille Green and think he is the worst player ever, but you think signing Royal Ivey is a good signing???

Ivey is a bum, plain and simple, fortunately he will probably play in less than half of the sixers games(Unless we win or loose a lot of games by blowout)

This signing impacts this teams success 0.000000%!!!!!

Royal Ivey...Give me a break!

McPeak92
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
So let me get this straight...You guys hate Wille Green and think he is the worst player ever, but you think signing Royal Ivey is a good signing???

Ivey is a bum, plain and simple, fortunately he will probably play in less than half of the sixers games(Unless we win or loose a lot of games by blowout)

This signing impacts this teams success 0.000000%!!!!!

Royal Ivey...Give me a break!
Dude Ivey is better on D and has a better shot and people like this signing because he is making like a 1/3 of what Willie is and takes a lot less ill advised shots.

Mrphilly
07-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Ivey wont be on the court to play any D.

He cant shoot for *****

A bum is a bum not matter how cheap he is.

McPeak92
07-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Ivey wont be on the court to play any D.

He cant shoot for *****

A bum is a bum not matter how cheap he is.

dude you are so blinded by your Willie Green love, Ivey has a better FG and 3P% he also has a better A/TO ration and is a far better perimeter defender.

TheShock45
07-25-2008, 01:30 AM
CAN HE SHOOT THE 3?!?!?

if not stupid move

Sixerlover
07-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Better than our current backup 2 guard (at least going by the stats). And he can D up a little from what I hear. Once again I've only seen him play in the NBA about 3 or 4 times, but I loved him in Texas.

Mrphilly
07-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Do you think I care for Willie Green so much that I would call a good player a bum.

Ivey stinks, his FG % is worst than Willie's..Thank you. His 3pt % is better, but that is not saying much cuz willie shot 29%. Ivey only shot 32% from 3. Plus Ivey only averaged 5ppg, so his FG% should be much higher. How many shots does he need to get 5 points?

Shieldsz
07-25-2008, 01:41 AM
Willie green is also getting paid like 4 times more than Ivey. Bad comparision. Its a good signing from the minimum pay standpoint.. and now we have a youngster instead of grampa ollie. Sure no one wants Ivey in front Green ont he DC, but Green sucks as welll

Mrphilly
07-25-2008, 01:44 AM
^^^^I can live with that reasonging!!!

Shieldsz
07-25-2008, 01:54 AM
If they signed him how come its not on

rotoworld
nba.com
OR
sixers.com?

But its on sites i never herad of

McPeak92
07-25-2008, 02:07 AM
CAN HE SHOOT THE 3?!?!?

if not stupid move

not really but its not a stupid move because we have very little invested in this signing.

Shieldsz
07-25-2008, 02:13 AM
exactly.. we need to fill up rosters spots one way or another.. here is an example of 1

McPeak92
07-25-2008, 02:15 AM

rotoworld
nba.com
OR
sixers.com?

Sixers.com and NBA.com are slow as ****, they dont announce most stuff till it is official.

flyboy193
07-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Sixers.com and NBA.com are slow as ****, they dont announce most stuff till it is official.

YUp that gets me mad

Shieldsz
07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
Rotoworld isomally always on top of this schtuff though, just suprised they aren't updated

Iggydelphia
07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
its on sixers.com.. just not one of the main headlines.. its towards the bottom left in one of those links

Shieldsz
07-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Your right.. wow thats so small

flyinhawaiian
07-25-2008, 02:32 AM
good signing... with evans and ivey defending players better watch out down low(in the post)

Mrphilly
07-25-2008, 02:59 AM
^^^^Are you serious???? He wont see the court after shoot around is over!!!!!

AsfanSince99
07-25-2008, 03:17 AM
so much for my basketball IQ. I thought Ivey retired a long time ago.

Mrphilly
07-25-2008, 03:17 AM
exactly.. we need to fill up rosters spots one way or another.. here is an example of 1

I completely understand that this roster needs to be filled, but why not fill it with a promising young guy. I hear you guys talk about this Jamont Gordan, I know nothing about him, but if he has potential why not let him be the third PG.
Dont waste it on Ivey.

Shieldsz
07-25-2008, 03:27 AM
we can still get Jamont.... we could sign 4 more guys WITH lou and iggy if we want at minimum
q

Mrphilly
07-25-2008, 03:55 AM
Well C'mon Ed, get off your *** and do something. Im getting bored.(I wish it was that simple)

MylesKong
07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Ivey shoot 40% from 3 a few seasons ago...in ATL. Here he get better looks so I think he'll be fine.
Him, Iggy, Thad, and Evans on the floor gives us a very good perimeter defending group. He makes up in defense for what we lost with Carney.
This is a good pick up.

FreeseDogg
07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Ivey stinks, his FG % is worst than Willie's.
Untrue.
Over his 4 NBA seasons, Ivey is shooting 414-983 (.421) from the field. Over his 5 NBA seasons, Green is shooting 1062-2584 (.411) from the field. Green scores more points, but shoots a lower percentage. Last year Ivey's FG% was worse than Greens, but not as a total. (not saying Ivey is better than Green, just saying he's not nearly as far a fall as some might think. plus he came cheap)

His 3pt % is better, but that is not saying much cuz willie shot 29%. Ivey only shot 32% from 3.

Still better than Willie's career percentage. I'm not saying Ivey is lights out, but he's a better outside shooter than Willie. Period. Career .331 (Ivey) compared to .309 (Green).

Plus Ivey only averaged 5ppg, so his FG% should be much higher. How many shots does he need to get 5 points?

First off, ppg has nothing to do with FG %, but I understand what you're saying. Who cares if you score 30 points if it takes you 45 shots, right? Well Ivey needed approximately 5 shots/game to average 5.6 points. Willie Green needed 11.8 shots/game to average 12.4. That's about the same efficiency, just with more attempts/minutes for Green.

The fact i can even make a case for Ivey being just as good as Willie shows just how pathetic Willie has been as a starter. People didn't even know who he was (I thought he was out the league) and when you look at the numbers (which I understand doesn't tell everything), Ivey looks like a better defending, less offensive-minded Willie Green. For cheaper.

I'm not expecting Ivey to replace Willie in the rotation or to outplay him, but he's hardly the slouch you make him out to be.

AirJordanXVIII
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM
I dont get the Sixers.com thing.... usually Philly has a tendancy to make small signings like these sound like they're amazing.

Liney3506
07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Ivey shot 38.5% from 2 point jumpers last year, while Willie shot 38%. Ivey, 32.7% from 3, Green, 28.5%. Willie is the better inside shooter by a lot (62.2% to 47.4%).

Take those stats as you will, haha.

MylesKong
07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I dont get the Sixers.com thing.... usually Philly has a tendancy to make small signings like these sound like they're amazing.

However, that was before had an actual big-deal signing.

Billy King had everything sounding like a big deal. To Ed, it's just another day at the office.

bountybowl
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow 8 pages of posts for Ivey including a comparison to Green. The guy is being signed to a minimum contract to replace Ollie. It's not a big move, but he is definately an upgrade over Ollie.

Philly Gringo
07-25-2008, 10:26 AM

rotoworld
nba.com
OR
sixers.com?

It's on www.philly.com.

FreeseDogg
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
exactly my thoughts, bounty.

i only made the comparison more to hate on willie than to say ivey was a big signing or whatever. he'll be a good defender off the bench. and he's got some upside and signed for the minimum.

KiLLaHDiCe12
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I would have rather signed ollie back for minimum then this guy but whatever. im guessing they figured ivey is younger and his vet minimum is prolly lower then ollie's minimum. i dunno. i liked ollie in the role we had for him. never complained once if he didnt get minutes and always practiced hard and was a solid defender and could even score a little bit.

Sixersfan41
07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I liked ollie too, but with his age he could start breaking down on D so that is why they liked ivey

Shieldsz
07-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Ivey> Ollie..

Ollie is washed up, he's just a good "locker room guy". **** I say we just let him retire and make him an assistant

AirJordanXVIII
07-25-2008, 02:07 PM
sixers.com have the link to a story signing ivey. They wouldnt post false information.

BADizzleBoY
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
if you are an espn insider it is on their too, but i will get banned if i get another infraction. Otherwise i would give my fellow sixers fans the story.

nothin but net
07-27-2008, 10:36 PM
^ why cant you post espn insider information?

DaddyCool
07-28-2008, 03:42 AM
Against the rules obviously, if you do that than you are copying ESPN's *****. With all the copyrighting and stuff PSD can't afford a lawsuit.

nothin but net
07-28-2008, 09:12 AM
so dont copy and paste it, just paraphrase

MooseWithFleas
07-28-2008, 09:38 AM
He can't shoot. Hes pretty limited offensively but he's "getting" better.

I do like this because this means you never know what Ed has up his sleeve. This means he could be after Rush.. no one knows.

I'd actually disagree with his not being able to shoot. Last year he was forced to play on a much weaker bucks team, and was thus, put into a featured role. He played the role of spot starter/6th man, where he averaged 19.2 minutes per game, instead of his traditional 10-13. His numbers were poor at 39.4% overall and 32.7% 3 pt. However, if you look at his more limmited roles (which is what he will have with our sixers), Ivey is more of a 43-44% overall and 33-35% 3 pt.

He is by no means, the 3 pt shooter the sixers are looking for to compliment Brand's post game, but offensivley he is not just a cancer. I think he could be very useful in games where we are in a shoot out and need some lockdown D, because Ivey can provide D, as well as the ability to knock down an open shot.

MooseWithFleas
07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Ivey> Ollie..

Ollie is washed up, he's just a good "locker room guy". **** I say we just let him retire and make him an assistant

I'd buy that for a dollar! Ollie is one of the nicest sports figures I have ever met. Very quiet, but if put in a coaching role, I think he could help groom our younger guards very nicely. Ollie's game is that of low risk, finding the best scoring chance, and minimalizing turnovers. This is much needed in a league where the young guys coming in are about running and gunning wrecklessly like a loose cannon. He can contiue the tradition of ex-sixers becoming coaches for their former team (Cheeks, Lynam, Bibby, McKie)... up next, Eric Snow

Shieldsz
07-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Making Kevin Ollie an assistant would be nice though for the reasons you stated.

Eric Snow not so much. Doesn't have a coaching mentality

AirJordanXVIII
07-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Yea KO would be nice. I dont see Eric Snow bringing much though. Pretty limited in his game, but KO is to idk.

Jeff Boyd
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Making Kevin Ollie an assistant would be nice though for the reasons you stated.

Eric Snow not so much. Doesn't have a coaching mentality

How would you know about his coaching mentality?

AirJordanXVIII
07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
^^ IT's more of an opinion.

Shieldsz
08-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Sorry to bump this back but did you know he was signed to a 2 year deal? Also he's suspended for the first 2 games of the season due to the lowblow to Aaron Gray.

I thought he was just signed to a 1 year deal... just saying. We better like him because we have him for 2 years

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Lets just hope ED knows what he is doing ( i think he does ). So far he has doine nother for us fan not to tust him, i like what he has done so far, and for Ivey for 2 years i don't think it will hurt us.

Shieldsz
08-09-2008, 02:37 PM
it cheap, of course it wont.. im glad its for 2 years since hes young

AirJordanXVIII
08-09-2008, 06:04 PM
2 years for the mininum aint bad... especially if he turns out to be decent we have him for one more year instead of him leaving for another team.

phillychi009
08-09-2008, 11:09 PM
2 years for the mininum aint bad... especially if he turns out to be decent we have him for one more year instead of him leaving for another team.

Thats why it doesn't bother me that much