PDA

View Full Version : Suns 4 year plan.

FreedomReigns
07-24-2008, 02:15 AM
With most contracts off the books by 2010/2011 what do you think the Suns 4 year plan to include this season will be?

The Suns will have 5 players under contract from the current roster in 2010/2011. Those players include Lopez, Amare, Tucker, Diaw, Barbosa. Maybe Dragic as well but that's not even a factor at this point. The payroll will stand at $33,786,100 excluding the potential Dragic signing. Plenty of opportunity to sign players. Im going out on a limb by saying the salary cap will be about $60,000,000.

Amare will have major bargaining power due to his player option. He should command around 25 million a year if he doesn't decide to walk. Im banking on an extension though. My favorite target in 2010/2011 would be Tracy Mcgrady. Stat and Mcgrady is a primetime duo with major production.

I'd honestly rather see the Suns go after McGrady in 2010/2011 than miss out on his services because Lebron is a free agent in 2011/2012. Suns chances of signing Lebron are slight. If they strike out on him then they might as well kick themselves in the butt for not attempting to sign Mcgrady. Joe Johnson is also a free agent in 2010/2011. So here's my hope that the Suns don't focus on Lebron in 2011/2012 and instead extend Amare then sign Mcgrady and Johnson in 2010/2011. They should be able to do that for the price of Lebron alone.

Lebron will sign a record breaking contract with New York, New jersey, Chicago or L.A. Those are the only teams that can afford huge luxury tax penalties to field a competitve team. Suns can't afford to waste all their financial rescources on one player. If the Cavs can't win it all with Lebron and scrubs, what makes you think the Suns can do it?

mnp2597
07-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Why not try for Lebron?They will be able to offer as much money as anybody but the Cavs.Besides that T Mac will be old by then,and if the Suns are throwing max #'s around then a star player will take it,even if Lebron is gone

J-Relo
07-24-2008, 04:25 AM
it is possible to sign both> T-mac and Joe? and also extend Amare's contract???

Joe, T-mac, Amare.... looks great... I hope t-mac won't lose his shape :)

king4day
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
By then T-mac won't be demanding max contract anymore. His injuries alone should guarantee that.
I would like to see us JJ back here though.

Lebron should be number 1 priority for all teams in that offseason. However, if another major player becoems available prior, we need to make sure to put an effort towards getting them too (or instead of).

Voodoo Alchemy
07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
no to tracy.

FreedomReigns
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
it is possible to sign both> T-mac and Joe? and also extend Amare's contract???

Joe, T-mac, Amare.... looks great... I hope t-mac won't lose his shape :)

I don't know. Maybe? Alot can and will happen by the 2010/2011 season. Just speculating but by 2011/2012, Lebron will command 30 million plus and that's probably a lowball guess. Im not saying that the Suns won't attempt to sign Lebron. I just don't see the point of waiting another year hoping to lure him to Phoenix when they could fill the 2 spot with Joe Johnson a full season earlier and save 10 to 20 million a year.

Now on to Amare. He should be the Suns main priority, not Lebron. If Amare is extended, my guess is it will be at around 25 million. That's roughly 8 million more than his salary at it's highest point during his current contract. Eventually dumping Diaw will make Amare's extension possible.

T-Mac wont be more than 20 million a year by then. Im guessing 11 to 17 million a year tops. He will be 31 years old by then so a max contract probably isn't likely and 31 is far from old. Shaq is old.

Back to J.J. He on the other hand will be looking for a raise. Probably 20-25 million a year. That could be a possiblity with Shaq's 20 million and Nash's near 14 million off the books. Who knows if he would even sign with the Suns again but he would be a great option and much cheaper than trying to lure Lebron the following season. Amare and J.J. could domintate just as well as an Amare, Lebron pairing. The Suns would also have more flexibility to fill their roster.

Raymond Felton and Jarrett Jack are also free-agents that year. Could they be a possiblity at the point for the Suns. Who knows? Just a few random names I noticed without digging too deep.

Keep in mind im obviously just speculating in this thread. Nothing i've wrote is out of the realm of possibilty though.

FreedomReigns
07-24-2008, 01:41 PM
no to tracy.

Just curious but why not?

God of War
07-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't want McGrady either. He's going to be much older. His back won't hold up. And, I don't think he's the closer we're looking for.

However, you've made a valid point about going after someone more realisitic like TMac than Lebron. That's why the Suns went after Nash rather than Kobe. It's much easier to go after the low hanging fruit.

FreedomReigns
07-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't want McGrady either. He's going to be much older. His back won't hold up. And, I don't think he's the closer we're looking for.

However, you've made a valid point about going after someone more realisitic like TMac than Lebron. That's why the Suns went after Nash rather than Kobe. It's much easier to go after the low hanging fruit.

Im willing to bend a little on my hope for Mcgrady. Everyone here is justified in assuming he might not be a good fit due to previous injury history. Only time will tell if he can hold up. Alot can happen in two years. I do however think that Joe Johnson would be a more sensible target. It just makes more sense all the way around. We all know he's no slouch on the court.

nashty13
07-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I thought the 2010 offseason was the big one with LBJ, Wade and Bosh...

Rome
07-24-2008, 06:04 PM
^ Obviously, pluse he's younger than Tmac. They'd want somebody they could have for more than two seasons. Plus i'd like to see JJ back in a Suns uni also. They'll have to something around that time though or were screwed.

Take a second and imagine Lebron in a Phoenix Suns uniform....

SpeedReed
07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Schwing

bclin
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Lebron is not coming to PHX. He's either going to NY, LA or staying in Cleveland. I'm more inclined to believe he'll stay in Cleveland. Re-Signing Amare should be our priority.

Nash will also be back with the Suns (Probably be back for $6M/year), I'm guessing. 2 years is a long time, but not long enough for us to find a point guard as good as Nash. If anything he'll stay on and play Sam Cassell minutes.

I'd like for us to look into Felton if Dragic doesn't work out. Then devote whatever assets we have under the cap trying to get Joe Johnson. Perhaps a sign & trade? Joe Johnson is the perfect 2-guard to complement Amare Stoudemire. Amazing shooter, above average passing and ball-handling, above average defender, won't rock the boat in the locker-room, and won't steal attention away from Amare.

Come back, Joe!

Tom81
07-25-2008, 10:13 AM
T-mac is overrated

ryanj12344
07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
what about wade? i thought he was also free at the same time of lebron? i think he would fit our system better than lebron would and he is way better than t-mac or jj.

STAT32
07-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Here's what I think regarding our 4 year plan Freedom.

I agree with you that we should just sign two all-stars instead of one superstar. The reason I say that is the fact that we already have one superstar in Amare Stoudemire. So, even though thinking about a Lebron and Amare pairing is nice, I'd rather have Amare, JJ, and Josh Howard. All will be All-Stars.

I just think we'd be better off taking the less glamorous route and signing guys like JJ or Josh.

Here's a list of lower key free agents i'd like to see:
1.Joe Johnson (Will be 29 years old)
2.Josh Howard (Will be 30 years old)
3.Tracy Mcgrady (Will be 31 years old)
4.TJ Ford (Will be 27 years old)
5.Tyson Chandler (I have a feeling NO is going to lock him up next year though.)
6.Raymond Felton

I think if we signed two of those guys and extended Stat we would be solid for years.

Here's a lineup i'd love to see:

Raymond Felton/Goran Dragic
Joe Johnson/DJ Strawberry
Josh Howard/Alando Tucker
Amare Stoudemire/Free Agent
Robin Lopez/MLE

Willy T Justice
07-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I believe that is what Freedom was trying to convey. Lets not wait for the Lebron sweepstakes when everybody is making cap room. Lets lock up superstars that are free agents the year before. Lets get two superstars for the price Lebron would cost us. Stat i would take JJ, and Mcgrady off of your list. Just my take on things

STAT32
07-25-2008, 07:52 PM
^^ Wait you mean that's who you would sign, or thats who you would cancel off my list?

Rome
07-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Here's a lineup i'd love to see:

Raymond Felton/Goran Dragic
Joe Johnson/DJ Strawberry
Josh Howard/Alando Tucker
Amare Stoudemire/Free Agent
Robin Lopez/MLE

Looks like a pretty solid team. Championship caliber for sure. Given the right backups and coaching yup yup.

certificial
07-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah Stat I like Raymond and JJ in Suns unis. T-Mac has star power but as mentioned before he is not the closer we need. Lets aim a little younger but remain a force in the east. I would love to see Matt Barnes end his career here, see what Dragic and RoLo have, Keep Amare------FOREVER, and hope that Boris and/or Leandro turn into the players we want them to be. But I would truly hate to be in a bidding war over LeBron with NY, LA, Brooklyn, etc....

STAT32
07-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Yea, bringing Lebron here would be great. However I think bringing JJ and Howard here does more as far as getting us back into contention.

An Amare,JJ,Josh Howard core is nasty.

Willy T Justice
07-26-2008, 04:29 PM
^^ Wait you mean that's who you would sign, or thats who you would cancel off my list?

Sorry wasn't clear. those are the ones i want off your list to sign . Wouldn't cancel anyone off that list if we could sign them.

STAT32
07-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Yea I think JJ is the obvious choice out of the list. Tmac is a bit of a question mark with his health and all. But 31 is your prime so lets see what he can do.

barkley4prez
07-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Would Jj Resign With Us?

STAT32
07-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Sure, if we offered him a contending team and some cash.

FreedomReigns
07-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Sure, if we offered him a contending team and some cash.

Lot's of cash!

Willy T Justice
07-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Lot's of cash!

he wont come cheap

STAT32
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
He won't demand a max deal though. 15 million 4 year deal would do it I think.

heyman321
07-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Lebron in a FA in '10 not '11.

STAT32
07-29-2008, 02:01 PM
That's what we said summer of 2010.

FreedomReigns
07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Lebron in a FA in '10 not '11.

Depends on how you look at it.