PDA

View Full Version : Europe looking very attractive for NBA free agents

hgtiger32
07-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Europe looking very attractive for NBA free agents

by Mike Kahn
Veteran sportswriter Mike Kahn has been covering the NBA since 1984 and brings his unique perspective on the league to FOXSports.com. Reach him at MikeKahn@hotmail.com.

Maybe NBA commissioner David Stern and his minions should step up the process of expanding to Europe, or else ...

Just a week ago, the latest prep sensation from Oak Hill Academy, Brandon Jennings, snubbed his nose at both the NCAA and the NBDL, signing a contract to play in Italy next year instead. Never mind the money, the 18-year-old also says the competition level will prepare him better.

Was it a smart move? We may never know the answer to that question — depending on how Jennings develops and the speed of his route to the NBA. But that's not really what all the hoopla was about. What everybody wanted to know was whether or not Jennings is an isolated incident, or merely the tip of the iceberg as more non-qualifiers for NCAA Division I opt for the glamour of international ball as opposed to lesser college opportunities or the D-League.

I think it'll be just the tip of the iceberg as long as the NBA has a mandatory one-year wait after a player graduates from high school.

And it's not just about the teenagers.

Source: Fox (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8370370/Europe-looking-very-attractive-for-NBA-free-agents)

bogdanrom
07-24-2008, 12:46 AM
I didn't read the whole article but I was on Yahoo and I saw that Jason Kidd might go play in Europe in a couple of years. Also that D Wade might go there if a team will give him like $40 million.

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 12:47 AM
That was a crazy long article...

hgtiger32
07-24-2008, 12:52 AM
if you just skim over it you'll get the whole thing

basically...europe teams can offer more money and that's somehwat because of the sinking economy in the U.S.A.....

Notables to go play
Brandon Jennings: HS All-American
Josh Childress
Stephon Maurbury-has said in the past he will play in Europe when his contract is up
Jason Kidd- same as Marbury
Dwayne Wade- said that if a Europe team offered him $40 million with out taxes that he'd def. have to strongly consider it

ink
07-24-2008, 12:55 AM
if you just skim over it you'll get the whole thing

basically...europe teams can offer more money and that's somehwat because of the sinking economy in the U.S.A.....

Notables to go play
Brandon Jennings: HS All-American
Josh Childress
Stephon Maurbury-has said in the past he will play in Europe when his contract is up
Jason Kidd- same as Marbury
Dwayne Wade- said that if a Europe team offered him $40 million with out taxes that he'd def. have to strongly consider it

good article. Check out my notes on the edit. We have to respect copyright on PSD and we can't quote entire articles. Thanks.

hgtiger32
07-24-2008, 12:59 AM
gotcha---thanks wont do that again

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2008, 01:06 AM
ive done that before dont worry about it..

ink
07-24-2008, 01:08 AM
gotcha---thanks wont do that again

ive done that before dont worry about it..

Thanks guys.

Hellcrooner
07-24-2008, 02:43 AM
mmm, he is right Stern should open the euro branch RIGHT Now, because the ONLY thing that holds euro teams back is there is not a real EUROLEAGUE In the sense of NBa, euroleauge is a elative short ( you play like 16 games if you are the champion) among countries champions. and it creates limited interest because soccer is ore popular and they dont sell/market the product well, the main income for teams is what they get for their country league, and the interest there is even less.

Should the top 24 teams in europe like BARCELONA, REAL MADRID; MACABBI; OLLYMPIACOS; PANATINAIKOS; CSKA, ZIBONA, ZALGIRIS; MILAN and so on decide to LEAVE their national champioships and start a PROFESSIONAL CLOSED league in teh same fashion as NBa 82 matches 7 game series etc, with an STRONG marketing campaign and the plus of the NATIONAL rivalries of the different countrys then they may start to earn ENOUGH money to make that 40 million dollars offer.

And man that could be the End for NBa.

So they better either Eliminate Salary cap , so the Knichks, Bulls and Lakers become the Yankees, or start Nba europe SOON

lavis
07-24-2008, 03:04 AM
I think this is a fad. It will go away in 2 or 3 years when the USD starts to rise again.

Hellcrooner
07-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Wow Iavis i only noticed now you are from Finland!!!!

Must be tough to be a basket fan there, i guess all goes for Hockey up there.

Nice city anyway, i was there some years ago , and took a ferry to Tallin, to see some Finish get REALLY drunk on cheap beer.

Oh and i love Hanoi Rocks.