PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't the Moses Malone and Dr J duo do more???

JordansBulls
07-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Dr J was pretty much the man on the Sixers in the early 80's. He got them to the Finals in 1980 only to lose to the Lakers. In 1981 he and his team had a 3-1 series lead against the Celtics and they lost games 5.6.7 and the Celtics went on to win the title. The next year in 1982 the Sixers were up 3-1 again and then the Celtics tied it, however the Doctor and the Sixers were able to win game 7 in Boston again with Dr J as the man.
The Sixers proceeded to lose to the Lakers again in the finals.

The next year, they managed to acquire Moses Malone in a deal for Caldwell Jones and the #3 pick who was Rodney Mcray.

Once the Doctor got Moses Malone they won 65 games and put up one of the best playoffs ever.

The following year they lost in the first round to New Jersey. And in 1985 they lost to Boston in the Conference Finals and in 1986 they lost in 7 to Milwaukee.

With that in mind, why didn't the Moses Malone and Dr J duo do more??

Chronz
07-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Well against the Lakers they were allegedly playing against an illegal zone that shut them down. Westhead was smart on when to use it and quite frankly they werent as good as the Lakers were. They shouldve won when Kareem went out but the Lakers just ran them off the floor, coinciding with Magics legendary game, but pretty much every player had the game of their lives. Jamaal Wilkes had a career high 37, Coop career high 16, Jimmers had a career best in rebounds.

I think they accomplished alot, by the time the DR got a dominant player alongside him he was 32. Its hard to expect him to continue to play at the level he was at during his prime for much longer and what made matters worse was that by then Moses best days were behind him, he gave Philly 1 truly historically great season and 3 years of All-Star play. You cant have both of your superstars fall off with no one left to pick up the slack. But I think its very telling that their first year together when they crushed everyone they proved to be as great of a duo there ever was, if only for a year.

So basically they didnt do more because they didnt click up until they were older but still great, kind of the way the Lakers legendary trio didnt do more.

ugadawgsfan17
07-23-2008, 11:16 PM
They had the fo fo fo playoff trip, which was dominating

PROPHETof TRUTH
07-24-2008, 12:30 AM
because the times werent the correct ones:confused:

Knowledge
07-24-2008, 12:46 AM
i think the aging of Dr.J and Mosses contributed, but I also believe that Andrew Tony's injuries hurt that team's chances of winning more than one title. If Tony stays healthy he is one of the most prolific scorers of his era

NBAkYD
07-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Losing the Strangler hurt. A LOT

DreamShaker
07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Magic and Bird were too dominating....