PDA

View Full Version : J.R. Added to U.S. Select Team; Coaches praise his great attitude (not a typo)

DenButsu
07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Nuggets' Smith to spar with U.S.

J.R. Smith, a restricted free agent whom the Nuggets plan to re-sign, has been added to the U.S. select team, which will scrimmage against the U.S. Olympic team this week in Las Vegas.

Smith arrived in Las Vegas today and should be suited up Thursday. Other members of this team include Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, Memphis' O.J. Mayo and Atlanta's Al Horford.

"I'm happy; it's a blessing," Smith said if his addition to the select squad. "Hopefully, one day I'll be able to play on the Olympic team."

At about this time a year ago, Smith may have been at the nadir of his professional career. The guard was effectively kicked off the team for the latter stages of the Nuggets' opening-round loss to San Antonio in the 2007 playoffs. Later that summer, he was involved in a car accident in which one of his friends was killed.

But Smith rallied on the court last year, averaging 12.3 points per game during the regular season and 18.3 versus the Lakers in the playoffs. He is a restricted free agent and the Nuggets have made a qualifying offer to him, ensuring their stance that they want Smith back.

"The work is definitely paying off," Smith said. "Even after the car accident it's just a blessing to be here today. It's not the Olympic team, but it's still a shot and it shows that people are looking at me with respect." denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_9973398)

Nice to see that "whom the Nuggets plan to re-sign" line in there. :cool:

Anyways, congrats, J.R. - make 'em work for it! :clap:

DenButsu
07-24-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm really surprised that nobody has responded to this yet.

Let me just prime the pump by saying:

Who in the hell could have imagined J.R. would get this kind of respect and appreciation after last summer's car accident and then the bar incident? I really hope we seal the deal with him soon - before this action starts - so he'll be a full-fledged long-term Nugget when he represents for the select team - and hopefully has a chance to put on a show.

liliverson819
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Is this game going to be on tv?

ochoa3791
07-24-2008, 04:24 PM
thats really good for JR
however that will just make his value as a player go up and that the nuggets need 2 show him more money 2 keep him around long term.

DenButsu
07-24-2008, 08:16 PM
thats really good for JR
however that will just make his value as a player go up and that the nuggets need 2 show him more money 2 keep him around long term.

Unless... some other team likes what they see and sign him to like a 4 year $5 mil per offer sheet that the Nugs could match. That's the dream scenario for Denver.

Game_Over
07-25-2008, 03:23 AM
Thats just it I am not getting too excited about JR unless we get him for more than one year.. I just think we need to wrap him up for around 3 to 4 years!!

DenButsu
07-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Smith salutes team game
Ex-Nugget steps up for Team USA, pro culture

(B)ecause Smith is a free agent and hasn't signed a contract with a team, he wasn't allowed to participate in Thursday's scrimmage against the U.S. squad.

Hence, the 22-year-old Smith, who has been known to chafe at authority during a mercurial four-year career, became practice fodder, assisting in drills, then rebounding shots and passing back to the likes of Utah's Deron Williams and Jason Kidd of Dallas.

The gig was a short one the Olympic team has an exhibition game tonight against Canada, then leaves for Asia, where four more pre-Olympic contests await. However, just the idea of Smith showing up for the limited engagement made quite an impression.

"The fact that he just wanted to come out and be a part of this anyway was great," said Oklahoma City coach P.J. Carlesimo, who coached the Select team this week. "A lot of guys would've just said, 'Hey, I can't play so I'm not coming out there.'

"I think it was a strong statement about his feelings for USA Basketball that he came, and I know Jerry appreciated it, too." denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_9989576)

NY15METS2006
07-25-2008, 04:34 PM
congrats to jr on his hard work and change of attitude being recognized!

07-25-2008, 11:48 PM
i love j.r.smith..........