PDA

View Full Version : Leader of Team USA

LAKERS 24/7
07-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Who is the leader of Team USA?

James was King of New York on this day, and likely will stay such for some time. Bryant didnít seem to mind being upstaged, nor should he. His fiefdom remains intact. Make no mistake: As brilliantly as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul have played, as much as this young generation of NBA stars has emboldened USA Basketball, this Redeem Team, these Olympics, belong to Kobe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-kobeteamusa070208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Is it Kobe?

Lebron last year publicly claimed himself to be the leader of Team USA. Is it him?

Many consider Jason Kidd to be the leader due to his experience. Is it him?

And who would take the last shot should the game come back down to the final seconds?

Kobe? Lebron? Wade? Melo?

madiaz3
07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Why would Lebron publicly declare himself the leader?

I'd say it's even between Kobe and Kidd, but neither would go as far as to say it.

bogdanrom
07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
I think it is a combinations of Jason Kidd, Kobe, and maybe Lebron, with Kidd being the main one.

18colts29
07-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Jason Kidd

LAKERS 24/7
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Why would Lebron publicly declare himself the leader?

I'd say it's even between Kobe and Kidd, but neither would go as far as to say it.

I don't know why, but last year I recall him saying something similar to "As the leader of this ballclub..."

I'm sure somone else remembers too

_Sn1P3r_
07-23-2008, 05:47 PM
I think it should be Kidd and Kobe.

fresh prince
07-23-2008, 06:35 PM
I don't know why, but last year I recall him saying something similar to "As the leader of this ballclub..."

I'm sure somone else remembers too

Yea that was exactly what he said.. I think Bron just thought he was in Cleveland. I'm sure you get used to saying certain things in interviews

"Both Teams Played hard"

"We need to be more aggressive"

"Defense wins"

Etc. I'm sure Bron knows this is Kobe and J KIdds team

Crunchy12489
07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Kidd without a doubt. He's the only one on the team with the hardware to prove his worthiness.

KG#1
07-23-2008, 06:38 PM
kidd is only on the team to be a leader

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-23-2008, 06:41 PM
I think LeBron and Kobe are the leaders joint effort..

oldenpolynice
From everything I've read, it has to be Kidd.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
I think LeBron and Kobe are the leaders joint effort..

fairandbalanced
07-23-2008, 06:46 PM
d-wade is team leader......kobe and kidd are assistants

Reezy
07-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Jason Kidd is the oldest and is the only one who has won a gold medal. Plus, he's a point guard and basically is the glue that holds everybody together be it New Jersey, Dallas, Phoenix or Team USA.

Fireworld
07-23-2008, 06:56 PM
I think it should be Kidd and Kobe.

yeah, the vets.;)

~Troy
07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Jason Kidd.

BlondeBomber41
07-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Its Jason Kidd... no question.

Doesnt mean he is the best player, but he is the glue of the team.

zamudio_jorge
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
too easy kobe 1.- experience, he won more things than everyone of the redeem team 2.- he is the leader of lakers kidd its not the mavs leader 3.- best player 4.- he is coming of a season that he prove he is a leader and can get the teammates better (so dont be surprised if other get more points)

1.- kobe
2.- lebron
3.- kidd

LAKERS 24/7
07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
What about the other question, who would take the last shot if it came down to it?

I'd have to say whoever has played better during the game, between Kobe and Lebron

Vidball
07-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Kidd & Kobe. Kidd is the coach on the floor, Kobe will set the tone in practices & on the defensive end.

Jay22Redd
07-23-2008, 08:30 PM
It seems like Lebron, Carmelo, Wade are the captains but it should be Kidd since he knows how to win a gold medal

torontosports10
07-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Kidd is the Captain i would say. But common the whole team is leaders. Melo,Kobe,Bron,Bosh,Superman,Paul the list goes on they are all their franchise players.

JJ_JKidd
07-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Yeah its D-Fake no doubt.

Its Jason Kidd... no question.

Doesnt mean he is the best player, but he is the glue of the team.

Very true. He is the coach on the floor, at practice etc. He is not the best player no doubt but hes there particularly to show the kids (Deron, Paul) how to get it done in the international level.

Hell prolly start, play 5-6 minutes, then Paul and D-Will or Kobe or even Bron would take the point. Hell not play heavy minutes ill tell you.

Reezy
07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Very true. He is the coach on the floor, at practice etc. He is not the best player no doubt but hes there particularly to show the kids (Deron, Paul) how to get it done in the international level.

Hell prolly start, play 5-6 minutes, then Paul and D-Will or Kobe or even Bron would take the point. Hell not play heavy minutes ill tell you.

Come on, man. Give credit where credit is due.

bctgg27
07-23-2008, 09:33 PM
It is Jason Kidd wihout a doubt. He is the most experienced on the team and is well respected my majority of NBA players. Hes been around the league for awhile and has built up the credentials that qualify him to be the leader of Team USA.

lovingTO
07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
bosh no doubt

dark_angel#8
07-23-2008, 11:34 PM
It will be Kobe and Kidd.. thats why they were added in the team... because they are the missing pieces... for sure everyone in the team will admit and respects them bought as they're leader...

dark_angel#8
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
bosh no doubt

looool....:D

spurhead
07-23-2008, 11:36 PM
jason kidd duhh.
theres a reason why he was chosen to be on the USA team.
record of 38-0 in int competition with a gold medal
clearly he knows wat it takes to win and young players will feed off him

cmellofan15
07-23-2008, 11:36 PM
mello scores most and jason kidd is the veteran leader

cmellofan15
07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
bosh no doubt

hahahahahhaahhahaahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaahahahahahahhahahahahahaaahaahhahahaha hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D:D:D chris bosh??????????????????

wow did anyone even mention him on this thread?

spurhead
07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Kidd is the Captain i would say. But common the whole team is leaders. Melo,Kobe,Bron,Bosh,Superman,Paul the list goes on they are all their franchise players.

franchise players doesnt mean theyre leaders tho
carmelo isnt a leader for a fact

cmellofan15
07-23-2008, 11:41 PM

yea ur right he only leads tthe team in SCORING

spurhead
07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
yea ur right he only leads tthe team in SCORING

what are you trying to prove? lol
thers alot more than stats to be a leader and carmelo isnt one
heck, hes not even the leader on his own team

still1ballin
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM

lol wade the leader? wade didnt do jack squat in the last olympics.....kobe will be the difference maker in this team bringing home the gold....wade isnt good enough to be kobe's assistant lol

spurhead
07-23-2008, 11:47 PM
lol wade the leader? wade didnt do jack squat in the last olympics.....kobe will be the difference maker in this team bringing home the gold....wade isnt good enough to be kobe's assistant lol

yea u have to like white women and choke in the finals to be kobes assistant lol

cmellofan15
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
what are you trying to prove? lol
thers alot more than stats to be a leader and carmelo isnt one
heck, hes not even the leader on his own team

im sorry u said it was HIS TEAM

Hes been putting up terrific stats since his rookie year and just b/c ivy came in doesnt mean its not his team. Thats like saying JO leads the Raptors just b/c hes a all-star on his team

id rather have 25 ppg 7 rpg and 3 apg with
than 26 ppg 7 apg and 2 rpg and mello has a better fg% and will last alot longer than iverson

spurhead
07-23-2008, 11:58 PM
im sorry u said it was HIS TEAM

Hes been putting up terrific stats since his rookie year and just b/c ivy came in doesnt mean its not his team. Thats like saying JO leads the Raptors just b/c hes a all-star on his team

id rather have 25 ppg 7 rpg and 3 apg with
than 26 ppg 7 apg and 2 rpg and mello has a better fg% and will last alot longer than iverson

wat if i said his team? he is on the nuggets right? im not implying hes the leader of his team.

i too would take carmelo over iverson but hes not the leader of the team right now
stop bringing up stats it doesnt show anything on how hes a leader

its like you saying ginonili is the leader of the spurs over tim duncan..
and stephen jackson over baron davis ?
and turkoglu over dwight howard?
and rip hamilton over chauncey billups?
and amare over steve nash ?
i guess wat youre trying to say is whoever scores the most on his team is the leader ..

BigDaddyKaine
07-23-2008, 11:58 PM

LMAO:laugh::laugh2: IDK when im gonna stop laughing

BigDaddyKaine
07-23-2008, 11:59 PM
KOBE no doubt

dannyy08
07-24-2008, 12:10 AM
I thought coach K said that there is no leader. I just read an article that confirms King James declaring that he will lead the team to Gold. Last time I checked almost everyone has more years put in than James on Team USA. Including the best player in the game today, The Black Mamba. I would say that it would either be Kidd or Kobe. James could not lead Team USA last Olympics. Time to step of that stool.

Chaudhry
07-24-2008, 12:18 AM
yea in terms of leader i agree with the consensus of kidd and kobe... i would say kidd more so though... as a point guard he almost has to be and as a passing point guard with his kind of vision the other 4 players better listen to him...

in terms of last shot it would be whoever is playing better and the situation... if a three is needed then kobe maybe if redd is hot that night... if a two then literally anyone except kidd howard or prince... besides those three whoever is playing well that game offensivly and latly its been melo for the US team...

avsman05
07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Kidd you could say they couldnt win without Kobe on the team but you can say that with any of the 5 starters. Kidd has the most experience. There for its him.

I disagree he is a proven leader of not only the Nuggets but team USA as well who were the outspoken generals of team USA on their run to the FIBA championship Kobe and Melo. This is Melo's type game he excels as long as he keeps his head out of his *** and plays D.

If someone is needed for a buzzer beater i definately dont want lebron with the ball its gotta be Kobe or Melo or Redd the players that can create their fluent shot not bron bron's brick layers.

FromDallas
07-24-2008, 12:41 AM
yea in terms of leader i agree with the consensus of kidd and kobe... i would say kidd more so though... as a point guard he almost has to be and as a passing point guard with his kind of vision the other 4 players better listen to him...

What they need to do is keep their eyes open when Kidd is running the break. If not they'll be taking no look passes to the face.

Most of the younger guys on the team all looked up to Kidd and his style of play when they were kids so he's the obvious leader of the team. Kobe is also an obvious leader because of the rings he has and the fact that he's the best basketball player on the planet.

JJ_JKidd
07-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Come on, man. Give credit where credit is due.

I dont quite follow your comment?

SwaggaIke
07-24-2008, 03:05 AM
Kobe. Kidd matters a lot, but Kobe changed the way a lot of these guys play. They've seen how determined he is and how much this matters to him and they've taken on the same attitude.

McPeak92
07-24-2008, 03:09 AM
gotta be Kidd, he has the most experience.

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Kobe and Kidd should be team captains (leaders)
Everyone else are worth a bronze medal in the Olympics.

#1Mavericksfan
07-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Kobe and Kidd like everybody said

JJ_JKidd
07-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Q: How is this team better than the team that lost to Greece in the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan?

A: First of all, the point guard position is much more solid. Instead of Kirk Hinrich (who finished as the starter in Japan) and Chris Paul (who began as the starter), the Americans now have Jason Kidd, Paul and Deron Williams as their playmakers.

They also have added Kobe Bryant, who will concentrate on being a one-on-one defensive stopper more than a scorer

Q: Why is Jason Kidd in the starting lineup instead of Williams or Paul?

A: Because he's the quintessential facilitator, and he'll bend over backward to make sure the team's best scorers get the ball in position to put up points. He also has an undefeated record with the U.S. senior national team, going 38-0 in major competitions. He's the only member of the U.S. team to have won an Olympic gold medal, which he did eight years ago in Sydney.

When the team's bigwigs sat down after their 2006 third-place finish, they decided that upgrading the point was the most important adjustment they needed to make.

Q: Who is Team USA's leader?

A: Kidd is the leader, for age and experience reasons. But if he struggles on the road to Beijing, it'll be interesting to see who will try to step up and fill that position. A lack of leadership has been a problem for the U.S. in the past. In Athens, the team tuned out its leader -- Coach Brown.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=TeamUSA-080722

Dirty Dirk41
07-24-2008, 08:49 AM
kidd is the leader?????? Kobe??????

This is Lebrons team...Get that straight

fairandbalanced
07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Kobe and Kidd should be team captains (leaders)
Everyone else are worth a bronze medal in the Olympics.

They will win Gold without Kobe or Kidd......last time those guys played, it was their 2nd year in league, and their point guard was basically a rookie. They also had no shooter/rebounder........giving Kobe and Kidd all the credit is basically saying that we can't win without them. You need to also remember that those squad had no international experience at the time and did not even know the rules.

RapsFan4Life
07-24-2008, 11:59 AM
yeah, the vets.;)

firworld, i must compliment the picture .. which team do you root for?

Hurricane Chise
07-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Coach K?

RapsFan4Life
07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
okay ill break it down, as of right now J KIDD is the vet he is the heart and definetly the number one man to lead the team, not scoring or put on a show, but when he needs to make the play the bucket counts, if the refs make a bad call he bring the team back on their feet, J KIDD is the leader, BUT this year I think kobe will take over that leader position ... and im not taking anything away from lebron because although he is not the leader he does win the games, an electrifing scorer and makes the other teams defense .. CRY .. and for the raps fan who mentioned bosh .. he is SICK ! but def not the number one guy on the team ... but he is still CHRISTOPHER !!

Zefflin
07-24-2008, 12:12 PM
kidd is the leader?????? Kobe??????

This is Lebrons team...Get that straight

:eyebrow:

:laugh2:

:no:

http://scott.club365.net/uploaded_images/drooling_homer-712749.gif

Knicks845
07-24-2008, 12:14 PM

yeah ok, maybe NOT, he isnt even starting and might lose the 6th man to m.redd

SeoulBeatz
07-24-2008, 12:17 PM
call me crazy but i think Melo is going to step up his game jsut like he did during last years exhibitions.

Zefflin
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
You're not crazy for thinking that...he'll lead in scoring again.

CowboysKB24
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't think there is a leader but if you had to pick one it would be Kobe or Kidd.
Last shot is going to the open man.

Zefflin
07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
100% agree with that post.

noturnormalhero
07-24-2008, 12:54 PM
i'd say Kidd first with his experience in international play and because of the success he's had there. Kobe would like a co-captain for prolly being the best overall player on the team and he's stepped up his defense and work ethics so that should carry over to the other players. I wish Garnett would have played though. Kidd,Kobe,Lebron,Garnett,Howard. DAMN.