PDA

View Full Version : Sixers and Cheeks discussing extension!

AirJordanXVIII
07-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Sixers, Cheeks discuss extension

By TOM MOORE
phillyBurbs.com

Five months after agreeing to a one-year contract extension to continue coaching the Sixers in 2008-09, Maurice Cheeks and team president Ed Stefanski are having discussions about another extension.

“We're talking,” said Cheeks in a Tuesday afternoon chat from San Diego, where he's vacationing. “It'd be great. We'll see.”

Stefanski answered, “I hope so,” when asked if he's optimistic he'll be able to work out an extension with Cheeks this summer.

Cheeks guided the Sixers to a 40-42 record and a six-game playoff loss to the Detroit Pistons last season, which was his third as coach of the Sixers. He finished fourth in NBA Coach of the Year balloting, just ahead of the Phil Jackson of the Los Angeles Lakers.

With the addition of Elton Brand, the Sixers should have their best chance to advance beyond the first round of the playoffs since 2002-03 (Larry Brown's final year) — assuming they re-sign restricted free agents Andre Iguodala and Lou Williams.

“It makes you excited [to go to training camp],” Cheeks said.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/100-07232008-1566864.html

Great news to hear. I'd love Cheeks to be coaching here for the next 5 years..

Shieldsz
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Depends how well we do in the next 2 years.. if we are worse , i expect him to sadly be gone

Westbrook36
07-23-2008, 03:51 PM
I really like Mo, I wouldnt mind him coaching for the next 5 years even more. I think he handles the young guys very well and brings us a bright future

FreeseDogg
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
sign him to the extra years. it's a nice vote of confidence and should provide a solid, stable base to run the team on. knowing you're going to have lou and iggy (if/when they both resign), thad, brand, sammy, smith and speights playing together with mo at the helm for at least another 4/5 years has got to be good for the team's confidence.

besides, you can always fire him after a year or two if things go sour. that's the nba.

FNM BOY
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah Mo..needs an extension. He has proven to be good weathering the storms of the Sixers and making the young players better.

AirJordanXVIII
07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
3-4 years is my vote. I think he's been very good with teaching the young players and he's grown a chemsitry with them. If he left after this season, regardless of record, it would hurt our young squad.

DaddyCool
07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
BUUUUUT, if we don't make it out of the 1st round, his job might be in trouble...

Liney3506
07-27-2008, 08:23 PM
He does a great job with this team. He's a players coach, and really caters to the young guys.

FNM BOY
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
sign him..4 year extension.

SportsFan1988
07-27-2008, 09:45 PM
He did a great job last year coaching the 76ers and IMO deserves an extension.

AirJordanXVIII
07-27-2008, 10:10 PM
You cant really blame Cheeks if the Sixers do average this year. It may take some time for the Sixers to mesh with Brand, but I think Cheeks will do a good job at it..

BChydro86
07-27-2008, 10:24 PM
i wanna see how mo does this season before he gets an extension.

philsphan28
07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
I think Mo did a great job last season, but I'm a little worried about this year. It is a different burden for a coach to have a team that is expected to perform.

Last year, Mo had very little expectation on his squad, but this year he has a good team that people think should do well. I'm very interested to see how he handles these new expectations.

flyinhawaiian
07-28-2008, 02:27 AM
I think mo deserves an extension

Iggydelphia
07-28-2008, 02:56 AM
some points i would question some of his decisions... but in the long run i think he is a great fit for this team... in a lot of ways he reminds me of charlie manuel... very nice guy with a good relationship with his players... i hope we lock him up longterm.. gotta love the guy

DaddyCool
07-28-2008, 03:29 AM
You cant really blame Cheeks if the Sixers do average this year. It may take some time for the Sixers to mesh with Brand, but I think Cheeks will do a good job at it..

I expect there will be some growing pains but it is a 82-game season. If we don't make the playoffs and advance at least to the 2nd round, Ed might might not be so patient. Besides Elton is 29, almost 30 so it's not like we have the all the time in the year.