PDA

View Full Version : New Fox Sports article on our "great" manager

c2thab
07-23-2008, 01:37 PM
A lot of valid points made in this article

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8370412/It's-been-a-turn-for-the-worse-in-Torre's-first-year

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-23-2008, 01:43 PM
He did but Torre will never be fired from this team.

BlueMouse
07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
What were the valid points?

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-23-2008, 01:57 PM
About how he was brought in to win this division and improve the team yet we are worse this year than last. I can only imagine if Furcal never got hurt this year, Joe would be looking like a saint.

dodgerphreak
07-23-2008, 02:01 PM
You're right, Torre will never be fired. But I agree, it is high time that the Dodgers start winning, and it starts with Frank running NedCo out of town and installing Logan White as GM before the Mariners can have a crack at him.

c2thab
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
The Dodgers should take the National League West, wretched as it is, and Torre will have some explaining to do if they don't.

Theres one

Grady Little wasn't just an 82-80 manager last year; he was an 82-80 manager done in by the clubhouse division between players old and young, and by the sudden availability of Torre.

Another

Little was 56-44 at this point in '07. You don't need an advanced degree in math to know that a divided 56-44 team beats a united 49-51 team eight days a week.

And another

His Dodgers haven't inspired much in the way of pride, at least not yet. Fans in the market looking for a team worthy of their time, attention and disposable income would have to turn to Mike Scioscia's Angels, the club that forever haunted Torre in the Bronx. The Angels are 12 games better than the Dodgers in a tougher division of a tougher league.

I guess I could go on and on and quote a number valid points but I guess its a matter of opinion

Bo0ja
07-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Torre has been just as bad as Grittle but not for the reasons mentioned in this article.

BlueMouse
07-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Theres one

Another

And another

I guess I could go on and on and quote a number valid points but I guess its a matter of opinion

Touché

except the last quote "Fans in the market looking for a team worthy of their time, attention and disposable income...". Fans in that disposition aren't really fans at all, and the anals can have those bandwagoning sorry-*** "fans"

c2thab
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
/\ yeah but unfortunately there are band wagon fans who try to pass as fans for both teams and since the Dodgers arent "doing too well" those fans will ultimately jump on that Gayngels bandwagon and vise versa.

TheBatchelor213
07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
eh this wont matter when we are deep in the playoffs. we dont need this stuff as Dodgers fans.

southerndodgerf
07-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Torre was definately taken to task (pardon the alliteration) but some of it is well deserved. He did seem to coas the first few months and to get upset now just screams of trying to salvage one's own reputation.

The 6-4-3
07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
the dodgers are just ****** not the managers fault, when player are producing, rent healthy, scoring less than 3 runs per game its the TEAM who deserves the criticism the most, not Torre. hes not playing the game. jones kemp ect. they're playing and when they can produce its on them

tide4life
07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
The best obervation in this article was that nearly 600 games have been missed due to injury. I don't care who the manager is, it's amazing we've done as well as we have. Furcal going down was a killer.

That being said, a manager is paid to win with the team he has. I'll wait until October to judge Joe's first year.

dan1to
07-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Just saying... "Little was 56-44 at this point in '07. You don't need an advanced degree in math to know that a divided 56-44 team beats a united 49-51 team eight days a week."

technically it would only be .875 more losses per week, so the divided team would win only 3.875 games to the united teams 3.

Just sayin...

And that doesnt even come close to speaking about how each team FINISHED!

southerndodgerf
07-23-2008, 06:08 PM
the dodgers are just shltty not the managers fault, when player are producing, rent healthy, scoring less than 3 runs per game its the TEAM who deserves the criticism the most, not Torre. hes not playing the game. jones kemp ect. they're playing and when they can produce its on them

When Jones Ks between 2 and 5 times in one game, you can blame the guy who keeps putting him out there with RISP.

c2thab
07-23-2008, 06:11 PM
And brings in the wrong pitchers in the wrong situations!

BlueZoo
07-23-2008, 06:43 PM
IMO, Torre is way over rated...doesn't do the things on a basic level that you have to do with a team like LA, since there is no ARods and Giambis and Jeeters and Blah , blah, sitting in the dugout.
Like today, when Kent walks...the next thing you should see is a pinch runner out there...Berroa, Ozuna, DY, whoever...but not Kent.
And when he took 3b on Loney's hit, only a piss poor throw by Podsednik allowed him to get to third. Otherwise, he's out by 5 ft. Easy.
Not like anything happened with scoring them.
Torre is much ado about nothing.

GHGHCP
07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
/\ yeah but unfortunately there are band wagon fans who try to pass as fans for both teams and since the Dodgers arent "doing too well" those fans will ultimately jump on that Gayngels bandwagon and vise versa.

Those fans are now Red Sox fans, notice how their stadium gets invaded when the Red Sox are in town.

c2thab
07-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Those fans are now Red Sox fans, notice how their stadium gets invaded when the Red Sox are in town.

Red Sox fans since October of last year I am guessing!

Scotch Johnson
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
I felt Grady Little was overly (and at times unfairly) criticized by a lot of Dodgers fans for last season. Is he the best manager? Absolutely not. But you can't argue for the great quotes he provided to the media. At least that was entertaining. Comparing him with Torre.... Yeah, the Dodgers had a better record at this time last year. But both guys have had to deal with a ton of injuries to their rosters. Injuries are a part of the game, fine, and you can only excuse those to a certain extent, but Torre shouldn't be given a free pass. It's obvious now, if it wasn't before, that this team's problems go beyond the manager. Maybe it wouldn't matter who was managing this team, the results would probably be the same.