PDA

View Full Version : Rays looking at Kent

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Source: Rays eye Dodgers Kent

The Tampa Bay Rays are looking at a possible trade for Dodgers 2B Jeff Kent, according to American League sources. The Dodgers have had scouts in Tampa the past few days checking out SS Ben Zobrist who is expendable for the Rays. Kent had 10 HR's and 43 RBI's for the Dodgers, entering play last night. -- Fox Sports Radio

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/mlb

BlueMouse
07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Wouldn't that open a hole for us at 2B? Or is there a Young/DeWitt/LaRoche/Cano solution in the works?

c2thab
07-23-2008, 12:53 PM
This trade would make no sense for us whatsoever!

KOOL-AID Man
07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I didn't think anyone would want someone who is more than likely going to retire at season's end. I can't see the Rays giving up some young talent for a star on the decline like Kent. This doesn't make sense at all.

ssnsocalfan
07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Getting rid of kent just lets another youngster get ready for the title run next year hopefully Nomar is next. i am ready for the youth movement

southerndodgerf
07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Ben Zobrist? This guy seems to be a career minor leaguer who happens to play in the majors ...

I would not mind a firesale at this point. I know we are a game out but cmon...we could make a lot this time of year. Lowe, Kent, Nomar????

BigDaddyKaine
07-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Now there is our answer at shortstop Ben Zorbist:rolleyes: only Ned would do something this stupid

Tragedy
07-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I didn't think anyone would want someone who is more than likely going to retire at season's end. I can't see the Rays giving up some young talent for a star on the decline like Kent. This doesn't make sense at all.
It makes sense because they feel like they can win it all RIGHT NOW. They may be looking to take the gold this year, so bringing in a veteran offensive player might be a smart idea for them.

As a Red Sox fan, though, I really hope this doesn't happen. I'm hoping the Rays are ignorant enough to not add a good piece to the puzzle like Kent.

USCTROJANS21
07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
If Kent is traded to the Rays..then i want Lowe traded to the Yankees for Cano. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Tymathee
07-23-2008, 01:57 PM
ok this is a dumb trade. Why not just keep playing Berrora, they put up the same numbers and Berrora has a gun.

and why would we do another trade with the rays, i dont feel like getting raped by these guys again, anyone else remember last time we traded for one of their SS's?

I'll take Carl Crawford and give them juan pierre in the trade :D

knoxcrew
07-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I love the idea. Let's see if this DeJesus kid can handle second in the bigs or give the spot to LaRoche and trade for McPherson. Time to make some power moves.

Tragedy
07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
If Kent is traded to the Rays..then i want Lowe traded to the Yankees for Cano. I wouldn't mind that at all.
Well, I mean...

:laugh:

Of course you wouldn't mind it, that's why it'd never happen.

BlueMouse
07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
I can see why the Rays would be after a guy like Kent. The Dodgers can't be sellers at this point though, so I only see this going down if the Dodgers have something else lined up for 2B like Cano or Roberts. Maybe we're looking at a 3-way trade with the Rays, Orioles and Dodgers?

Zobrist appears to fit into Colletti's plan of hoarding all MLB B-level SS's. So I wouldn't be surprised if this were true.

USCTROJANS21
07-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, I mean...

:laugh:

Of course you wouldn't mind it, that's why it'd never happen.

a guy can dream right??

Shawh
07-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Zobrist? No thanks. He's terrible.

blueplatespcial
07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't mind moving Kent - but we'd have to get a power replacement in the line up fast.

c2thab
07-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Zobrist is 2-3 with a HR and 2 RBI's today.....lets do it now while he is hot!!

LAFord
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Zobrist? No thanks. He's terrible.You could say that again!
.202/.242/.308 lifetime in 2 seasons/105 games.

Why is it every trade rumor I read has us looking at crappyass SS's? We already have a few of those...are the dodgers starting to stockpile them?

Nomar, Berroa, and Ozuna are all better than most the guys we've "looked" at.

dusto_magnifico
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't mind moving Kent - but we'd have to get a power replacement in the line up fast.

We really woundnt need a power replacement for Kent. Just someone who can hit for decent avg, get on base and play good defense, 3 things Kent hasn't done all year. Even though Cano is having a tough year, I wouldn't mind giving up Kent and Lowe for Cano and a few prospects.

TheBatchelor213
07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
If we are trying to win now, it does not make sense, unless we have a deal for the likes of Cano lined up. I really dont like the idea though, even with Jeff feasibly retiring, its obvious the Rays want him because they are seemingly going for it this year, something to my knowledge we too are doing, if there is nobody in line to replace Kent this season, doing this trade makes no sense.

southerndodgerf
07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
If we are trying to win now, it does not make sense, unless we have a deal for the likes of Cano lined up. I really dont like the idea though, even with Jeff feasibly retiring, its obvious the Rays want him because they are seemingly going for it this year, something to my knowledge we too are doing, if there is nobody in line to replace Kent this season, doing this trade makes no sense.

I think you need to start facing the fact that this may not be our year. It may be better to cut bait than to hold out in hopes of a miracle. The 1988s only happen now and then. Also 1988 had a better hitting team.

LASportsFan
07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
The GM of the Rays keep RAYping Ned Colletti!

Please.... no more traydes with the Rays

Zobirst?????

Sounds like a shampoo or something.

*Shakes Head*

mcpeepants23200
07-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Zobrist is not a major league starting shortstop. Kent isn't worth much anymore but I'd want something more than Zobrist. Also the Yanks aren't going to move Cano for pitching. With Posada and Matsui likely out for the year they need Cano in the lineup.

TheBatchelor213
07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I think you need to start facing the fact that this may not be our year. It may be better to cut bait than to hold out in hopes of a miracle. The 1988s only happen now and then. Also 1988 had a better hitting team.

Not possible, we have what it takes!

Peepeepants made a valid point about the minute possibility of us getting Cano, with the injuries to Yanks lineup, they wont deal him.

myspace.com/thebatchelorspe

BlueMouse
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM

This may not be our year, but at 1-game out of first place I don't see anyway for the Dodgers to be outright sellers at this point. How would they explain that from a publicity standpoint? When you have a chance you have to give it your best shot, you can't just call it quits anytime you feel a little inadequate.

Not trying to say selling is a bad idea, but we just aren't in a position to do so.

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
I think we should try and move our old expiring contracts.

BLUE4EVER
07-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Ben Zobrist,what is that a mall jewelry store?

blueplatespcial
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
We really woundnt need a power replacement for Kent. Just someone who can hit for decent avg, get on base and play good defense, 3 things Kent hasn't done all year. Even though Cano is having a tough year, I wouldn't mind giving up Kent and Lowe for Cano and a few prospects.

I'm just thinking who hits clean up. Kent wasn't a very good number 4 man, but he was always a threat to hit one out. With him gone, the team will need someone with some pop.

Of course, power need not be put into 2nd base. We could find a power hitting 3Bman (like Beltre), and use DeWitt/Laroche at 2nd. Cano would be a good pick up - but not sure Ned is capable of making such deals.

tide4life
07-23-2008, 05:01 PM
I think we have to consider that Kent may want out. He made it clear when he came to LA he wanted to get in the World Series. Maybe he's let it be known to the FO that he would be willing (very interested) to go to a contender if it would help the "youth movement." Just speculation on my part.

dodgerblues
07-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Trading Kent wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since he'll be retiring this season. He can help the Rays make the final push, they are, after all, doing a great job playing baseball.

I would do it because we won't get a draft pick out of Kent, so might as well get some talent out of him before he's gone.

I just hope we can get more out of the deal... Only one can dream of Carl Crawford or BJ Upton coming to LA!

LA_Bron
07-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Unless we get Longoria (and we won't), no freaken way.

BlueZoo
07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Zobrist? Crosby? What other monumental garbage is on the docket for these clowns runnung this team? What other fringe ML do they seek?
Trade away Kent who could get extremely hot late in the season for any of these guys?
Then they deserve the same fate by doing this ( if they do) as they got with throwing Kershaw to the wolves in Coors the other night.
It's like a Volkswagen Beetle full of circus clowns. It just never stops.

knoxcrew
07-24-2008, 09:15 AM
If I were GM, I would trade Kent to the Rays for some young pitching prospects. I would then flip those young pitching prospects, along with Hu and Dewitt, to the Orioles for Roberts and Sherill. New Lineup:

Roberts
Ethier
Martin
Loney
Kemp
Nomar
LaRoche
Jones/Pierre

dan1to
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Getting rid of kent just lets another youngster get ready for the title run next year hopefully Nomar is next. i am ready for the youth movement
IF they moved Kent, it would signal the FO giving up on this year. They might as well move Lowe and Nomar, trade for Maddux to train Kershaw and Billingsley some more, then move LaRoche or Loney and pick up power prospects. Then in the offseason sign Sabathia and Maddux as #5 or a pitching coach.

Ben Zobrist? This guy seems to be a career minor leaguer who happens to play in the majors ...

I would not mind a firesale at this point. I know we are a game out but cmon...we could make a lot this time of year. Lowe, Kent, Nomar????
I dont see a firesale coming, but I wouldnt blame Ned if he did. Unfortunately i dont see him getting the best value out there. Kent for Zobrist isnt exactly a good trade, unless your a Ray fan. Its far from a fair trade.

If I were GM, I would trade Kent to the Rays for some young pitching prospects. I would then flip those young pitching prospects, along with Hu and Dewitt, to the Orioles for Roberts and Sherill. Kent for pitching prospects makes FAR more sense then for Zobrist!

dodgers07champs
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I would love to deal Kent. Sure, we are in a NL West race this year, but seriously..who thinks we have any chance of winning the WS? The goal is to win the WS, not get swept in the 1st round. Since I figure that Kent will retire at the end of the year, why not get something for him now? The Rays need a DH, and he would fit the bill perfectly.

goDOYERS
07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
KENT for Wheeler sounds good to me

old blue
07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
sounds bad to me ---- what number will we give him?

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-24-2008, 02:39 PM
They have some studs in the ML Price,Davis,McGee I doubt they would part with any of those guys but damn they are loaded.

tide4life
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Price is just unbelieveable. The Rays are going to be tough for a long time. I wouldn't mind seeing a few Dodgers-Rays World Series. :D

bowa#1
07-24-2008, 03:26 PM

So we give up Kent for a ss. And Lowe (reliable, never injured) for Cano? Kuroda isnt consistent, and has been injured once this year already. Penny is questionable. Hung Chi's arm is a ticking time bomb. We'd need to trade for a pither or two? Any ideas?

BlueMouse
07-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I would love to deal Kent. Sure, we are in a NL West race this year, but seriously..who thinks we have any chance of winning the WS? The goal is to win the WS, not get swept in the 1st round. Since I figure that Kent will retire at the end of the year, why not get something for him now? The Rays need a DH, and he would fit the bill perfectly.

Me.

DodgerBlue82
07-24-2008, 04:40 PM

I don't know about young talent? Zorbist is 27 and never hit higher then .240 I really hope we dont do that deal.

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-25-2008, 02:27 AM
If we could somehow pry 1 of those guys I listed above for Kent that would be an absolute steal.

TheBatchelor213
07-25-2008, 03:01 AM

I do. World Series here we come!

myspace.com/thebatchelorspe