PDA

View Full Version : Heat forced to play small ball?

Sports Illustrator
07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
One rival executive said the available centers are so bad that the Heat is better off with an undersized front line of Udonis Haslem, Shawn Marion and Michael Beasley, supplemented by Alonzo Mourning (by January) and small doses of Mark Blount. ''Is it conventional? No,'' coach Erik Spoelstra said. But ''teams have gone in the direction of playing smaller.'' The Heat is open to using Dorell Wright in a sign-and-trade.

From Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/614129.html)

MiamiHeat
07-23-2008, 11:57 AM
The Heat is open to using Dorell Wright in a sign-and-trade.
i like that :D but for who?

King Koopa
07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
wow a lineup of

Pg Mario/banks
Sg Wade/cook
Sf Marion/Jones
Pf Beasley/joel
C Haslem/zo

I dont like it at all, but whatever. Whos should we get for Wright????

King Koopa
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
How about Wright for Sean Williams???? The nets need a Sf.

noturnormalhero
07-23-2008, 12:25 PM
what bout trading him for kristic? would give us another center who could start instead of Haslem? anthony could back up at center and haslem backing up Beasley. would work out for us. sign him to a 2-3 year deal. he's a 75% free throw shooter too..not amazing but not that bad for a center. seems like the Nets are tryin to go young and athletic anyways. kristic's contract ends this year i believe so we could either resign him short time or just let him go. would fill the C void. or we could trade for Sean williams too even though his contract ends in 2011/2012. i'll be coo with either one of those 2..if we had to throw a 2nd rounder in there too..so be it.

DQL
07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
trade Wright and a 2nd rd pick for Sean Williams. His contract won't hurt our cap at all since he'll only make 2.5 mil in 10/11 (and has a team option I'm not sure)

noturnormalhero
07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
trade Wright and a 2nd rd pick for Sean Williams. His contract won't hurt our cap at all since he'll only make 2.5 mil in 10/11 (and has a team option I'm not sure)

i THINK he does have the team option in 09/10 and 10/11 with a qualifyin offer in his last year. i could be wrong. i would love sean williams but Kristic was reported not too long ago for being on the trading block for the Nets so i see that as possibly a higher chance of us getting him, unless we get lucky and get Sean :clap:

King Koopa
07-23-2008, 01:31 PM
i THINK he does have the team option in 09/10 and 10/11 with a qualifyin offer in his last year. i could be wrong. i would love sean williams but Kristic was reported not too long ago for being on the trading block for the Nets so i see that as possibly a higher chance of us getting him, unless we get lucky and get Sean :clap:

There was a report that the nets were trading there young players, i mean they just finished trading williams to gs for a 1st rounder and they need a SF so why not give them Wright and a 2nd rounder for Sean.

jdricks
07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
To be honest I'm down with the small ball lineup. We have fast guys who play defense and rebound eventhough they are smaller. We did it a bit last year and it worked.

Lineup:
Chalmers
Wade
Marion
Beasley
Haslem/ Anthony

Jonathan2323
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
i would rather them play small ball than play Blount!

daleja424
07-23-2008, 01:56 PM
could we trade wright/haslem/cook for Frye/one of their young guards...

King Koopa
07-23-2008, 02:41 PM

Frye..... were going to give up are 3 young core players for frye... and some other guard come on Daleja... I expected better from you since you are a smart person.

fairandbalanced
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Haslem/wright/cook for frye? Ohh I get it, you want miami to compete for the number 1 pick this coming season again.

SwaggaIke
07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Small Ball > Blount
Smallest Ball > Blount
Starting Banks @ Center > Blount
Ike Austin > Blount
John Koncak > Blount
John Stockton @ Center in 2008 > Blount

noturnormalhero
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
frye from the Blazers? i wouldnt mind having the kid but giving up Haslem/cook/wright in the process? what PG? blake didnt sign with us last offseason so yeah. diogu? sergio rodriguez? the sean williams or kristic makes the most sense with Wright.

noturnormalhero
07-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Small Ball > Blount
Smallest Ball > Blount
Ike Austin > Blount
John Koncak > Blount

:eyebrow:

SwaggaIke
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I really hate Blount...

noturnormalhero
07-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I really hate Blount...

i could tell. i feel the same way lol. i took him off my roster on NBA2k just cuz i hate seeing him ...even in xbox360 form

SwaggaIke
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Dude is too garbage. The **** gets on my nerves. Always tryin to pick and pop/pick and roll instead of postin up. Grabs no boards and he's a streaky shooter at best. He has to be the only player who didn't learn at least 1 thing from KG.

Mambo Kings
07-23-2008, 04:53 PM
I have always favored the Heat playing small ball, at least for now...

PG: Chalmers (3pt range)
SG: Wade (3pt range)
SF: Marion (3pt range)
PF: Beasley (3pt range)
C: Haslem (15ft range)

Go small, play fast up and down, and light up the scoreboard :cheer:

kntresistheheat
07-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Wade 3pt range?:confused:

Mambo Kings
07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Wade 3pt range?:confused:

I wouldn't call him reliable from there, but he's made some key shots in his day.

Besides, he stretches a defense all the same from there given his driving skills.

noturnormalhero
07-23-2008, 05:21 PM
that's great that the small ball would do good on offense..what about defense?

Mambo Kings
07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Chalmers plays defense, Wade plays defense, Marion plays defense, Beasley needs to improve, and Haslem would face tough assignments. Keep in mind this franchise is stuck in a major rebuilding mode. It can't be perfect right now.

daleja424
07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Frye..... were going to give up are 3 young core players for frye... and some other guard come on Daleja... I expected better from you since you are a smart person.

Frye/Fernandez (or Bayless :D or Batum) for Haslem/Wright (or Cook) I would do any day of the week... And if they wanted Cook and Wright...still fine with me... I don't over value cook and wirght like you guys. If we could get frye/fernandez Id do it all day!

ATX
07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Frye/Fernandez (or Bayless :D or Batum) for Haslem/Wright (or Cook) I would do any day of the week... And if they wanted Cook and Wright...still fine with me... I don't over value cook and wirght like you guys. If we could get frye/fernandez Id do it all day!

That would be great, but you know as well as I that Portland's not trading those guys...I would think they would want to see what they have this year first before making any moves. Add Oden, Bayless and Rodriguez to a very young team that went .500 in a tough western conference, and that could be very scary in a year or two.

daleja424
07-23-2008, 06:07 PM
That would be great, but you know as well as I that Portland's not trading those guys...I would think they would want to see what they have this year first before making any moves. Add Oden, Bayless and Rodriguez to a very young team that went .500 in a tough western conference, and that could be very scary in a year or two.

I know they wouldnt do it...but that doesnt change the fact that I would do it everytime...:D Someone called me an idiot for suggesting it earlier... like why on earth would we do it...pshhhh

ATX
07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I know they wouldnt do it...but that doesnt change the fact that I would do it everytime...:D Someone called me an idiot for suggesting it earlier... like why on earth would we do it...pshhhh

Bayless looked like a player who should not have slipped out of the top 10 in the draft during the summer league (At least from what I've read)...I'd love to have him, in fact during the draft I kind of thought Riley was going to nab him somehow...I love the Chalmers pick though. Not as big on Frye, but he still has lot's of potential...rather get Aldridge, but who wouldn't. I don't know why someone called you an idiot...Bayless>>>Cook or Wright

Rolla
07-23-2008, 06:54 PM

I would like frye but im not giving haslem or cook. Maybe if we could pull off a streight up trade, wright for frye. not sure if the money works though

kntresistheheat
07-23-2008, 07:18 PM
On nba insider it says trio wont be renounced????? WTH????:confused:

noturnormalhero
07-23-2008, 08:10 PM
On nba insider it says trio wont be renounced????? WTH????:confused:

i know!!!! i saw that this morning and was like wat?! who da hell here had dat insider ish?! lol. dying to know wat the hell is inside that article

King Koopa
07-23-2008, 09:29 PM
What does it mean by Trio wont be renounced????

daleja424
07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
What does it mean by Trio wont be renounced????

we wont withdraw offers from wright, quinn, and powell I guess...

noturnormalhero
07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
we wont withdraw offers from wright, quinn, and powell I guess...

take it u saw my post before it was erased eh? lol

Diehardheatfan
07-23-2008, 11:31 PM
I would hate if we trade dorell wright

noturnormalhero
07-24-2008, 06:06 AM
i'd trade wright for sean williams if we had that chance..without even second guessing it

sergiogon
07-24-2008, 07:25 AM
cook for willams

noturnormalhero
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
cook for willams

yea ok. at least we'd have dept at SF with jones but who is gonna replace wade at sg? if we move jones to sg..who would back up SF?

DQL
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
yea ok. at least we'd have dept at SF with jones but who is gonna replace wade at sg? if we move jones to sg..who would back up SF?

MVP Kasib Powell :D

daleja424
07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Heres what Ira had to say on the subject:

All too often, when the Heat went small this past season with Udonis Haslem in the middle, it got beat up on the boards.

But that was without Michael Beasley and with Shawn Marion only for a handful of games.

So could it work this time around, with far more rebounding in support? A team-by-team look against the rest of the Eastern Conference:

Atlanta: Al Horford essentially is a power forward, anyway, albeit perhaps the former Gator with more upside in the middle.

Boston: Kendrick Perkins isn't the problem, it's stopping Kevin Garnett. There is no reason Haslem couldn't open against Perkins.

Charlotte: Be it Emeka Okafor, Nazr Mohammed or a player to be named later, Haslem at least competes in the matchup.

Chicago: It's not if Haslem can stop Joakim Noah, it's if Noah can stop Haslem.

Cleveland: Zydrunas Ilgauskas is too bulky for anyone on the current Heat roster, which is why another big body would help. Of course, if the Cavaliers' focus turns to Ilgauskas, it also turns away from LeBron James.

Detroit: Against Antonio McDyess or Rasheed Wallace, Haslem would seem to be the answer, anyway.

Indiana: Is more needed against Greg Foster, Rasho Nesterovic or Roy Hibbert?

Milwaukee: Andrew Bogut is another bulky body that would be a concern. But, again, a Bucks' offensive focus on Bogut takes the focus away from potent perimeter scorers.

New Jersey: Brook Lopez's size would be an issue, but we're still talking about a rookie.

New York: Eddy Curry is a tough matchup on the block, which again is where a bulky alternative would come in handy. But it's not as if Mark Blount would get any more done defensively. Still, the Knicks have a look of a team inevitably willing to go small with Zach Randolph or David Lee in the middle.

Orlando: If you havenít noticed, Haslem has been defending Dwight Howard in recent years, anyway, although it's certainly not optimal.

Philadelphia: Samuel Dalembert would have a significant length advantage in the middle, but the real concern is stopping Elton Brand.

Toronto: If it's Jermaine O'Neal or Andrea Bargnani, Haslem probably handles the challenge as well as anyone on the Heat roster, anyway.

Washington: Brendan Haywood is another bigger body who could wear down Haslem over 48 minutes.

The bottom line is asking Haslem to battle the bulk of Ilgauskas, Bogut, Curry and Haywood for the majority of minutes might prove too taxing over the long run. Yet the Heat hardly would be at a severe deficit at most matchups in the middle, especially if it means the ability to also have Beasley and Marion on the court at the same time.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2008/07/udonis-in-the-m.html

Mambo Kings
07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2008/07/udonis-in-the-m.html

Great link, daleja :clap:

noturnormalhero
07-24-2008, 03:22 PM
MVP Kasib Powell :D

if he wins MVP i'm going to try out for next years squad

awr0430
07-24-2008, 04:33 PM

I think he just meant MVP for that backup spot meaning he is a top choice to solve that problem.

awr0430
07-24-2008, 04:34 PM
WE should just go after Emeka and Wallace or Felton and call it day problem solved.

Gazza_Flash03
07-24-2008, 06:46 PM
mite be shockin, but everyones lovin on sean williams so heres a trade that involes him...
and swifts contracts expires next year, so if we dnt resign him extra money for free agency..
wot do you reckon

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3196~2184~829~3239&teams=17~17~14~14&te=&cash=

noturnormalhero
07-24-2008, 06:48 PM
mite be shockin, but everyones lovin on sean williams so heres a trade that involes him...
and swifts contracts expires next year, so if we dnt resign him extra money for free agency..
wot do you reckon

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3196~2184~829~3239&teams=17~17~14~14&te=&cash=

i'd do it

Gazza_Flash03
07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
yeh well i think its fairly even trade, so riles should consider it, even though i dont think williams is are best option for a centre, but maybe the most realistic.

What other centres are there to consider:

Amare in 2010

daleja424
07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
yeh well i think its fairly even trade, so riles should consider it, even though i dont think williams is are best option for a centre, but maybe the most realistic.

What other centres are there to consider:

Amare in 2010

williams and swift could split time at the center and backup PF spot... I LIKE IT!:clap:

DQL
07-24-2008, 09:25 PM

I think he just meant MVP for that backup spot meaning he is a top choice to solve that problem.

:p You 2 are wrong. Don't you remember he won D-league MVP last year?

Diehardheatfan
07-24-2008, 11:53 PM
i like that :D but for who?

Why trade wright were not gonna get anything better than him. I much rather trade haslem and get a good point guard like mo williams and be like 2 pieces away from a title. The just go for a center in amare in a couple of years

rick66ankiel24
07-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Haslem/wright/cook for frye? Ohh I get it, you want miami to compete for the number 1 pick this coming season again.

thats not too bad of an idea... then we could draft a center and our problems would be solved haha but seriously idk if hes something anyone would want but we might be able to pull off a sign and trade w/ wright along w/ a 2nd round pick for a warriors sign and trade w/ biedrins

noturnormalhero
07-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Why trade wright were not gonna get anything better than him. I much rather trade haslem and get a good point guard like mo williams and be like 2 pieces away from a title. The just go for a center in amare in a couple of years

if u trade wright for a center like Kristic..not better then him? I'd trade him to fill a void. Think long term not just this year. Mo williams isnt leavin the bucks this year. Maybe later when his contract is expiring..realistically i dont see him moving anywhere anytime soon. they just build that team..added a new coach..if they were realistic and logical..they'd play this season out with their current roster before they make moves.

Coqui77
07-25-2008, 04:18 PM
I understand why everyone is hating on Blount but I would play him every single minute, every game, and make him practice everyday, even if he is hurt. No blood no Foul. Get our moneys worth out of him. Heís getting paid too much money just to bench him. And if he doesnít produce send him to the D-league. lol

Diehardheatfan
07-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I disagree Im keeping wright hes great for our new system

flyboy193
07-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Small Ball > Blount
Smallest Ball > Blount
Ike Austin > Blount
John Koncak > Blount

lol:D