PDA

View Full Version : I think we should have a "world championship game"

FOBolous
07-23-2008, 11:52 AM
since leagues from around the world are growing more competitive year after year...i think it would be cool if we have something like a world championship series where the champions from each league around the world play against each other for the ultimate title of "world champions." what do yall think? :D

i think this would work better than trying to place a NBA team in Europe or trying to incorporate an European team to the NBA

KNICKSFAN
07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
e have the olympics and FIBA, thats enugh.

madiaz3
07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
e have the olympics and FIBA, thats enugh.

That's not the same thing.

For last year it would be the Celtics vs. Champs of Euroleague vs. champs of spanish league etc

travesy3
07-23-2008, 11:57 AM
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think any top Euro team can beat the best team in the league. The NBA has the best players on the planet, thus the best team is the best team on the planet.

Although this could be a good idea just so they can say they are the best team on the planet, and prove it.

ugadawgsfan17
07-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Baseball tried it and it didn't work out that bad. i dont see why not.

And poster above me, the NBA is definitely the most talented team, but they haven't had the teamwork to win in years, so there is a chance they wouldn't win

patriotsrock2k2
07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Baseball tried it and it didn't work out that bad. i dont see why not.

And poster above me, the NBA is definitely the most talented team, but they haven't had the teamwork to win in years, so there is a chance they wouldn't win

He's talking about the champion of the NBA taking on teams around the world so this year it'd be the Celtics and they have the teamwork to crush any team in the world.

madiaz3
07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
He's talking about the champion of the NBA taking on teams around the world so this year it'd be the Celtics and they have the teamwork to crush any team in the world.

except the US National team this year lol

jokesterz
07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
it wouldnt work. here is y a nba team plays 82 regular season game then they would have to sweep all 4 round to that would be 16 more game and that 98 games not couting per season wat if it go to 7 game seriers that would be 28 games plus 4 preseason sop a nb ply would play a maxium of 114 games and a min of 102

while a earopean team would play amnd maxium of 70 games
http://www.ballineurope.com/national-teams/european-basketball-something-between-college-basketball-and-nba/

that 32+ games differents

second whos rule would we use our or thier if it our they can say we have the advantage if it thier they have to advantage less games and their rule

how many games would they have to play best of 5 with how many of the world basketball league that could mean a nba play could play 150+ game aseason wouldnt work stern and the player union would sign of on that and cuting the season wouldnt work team owner would give up any more game just to make less money

FOBolous
07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
it wouldnt work. here is y a nba team plays 82 regular season game then they would have to sweep all 4 round to that would be 16 more game and that 98 games not couting per season wat if it go to 7 game seriers that would be 28 games plus 4 preseason sop a nb ply would play a maxium of 114 games and a min of 102

while a earopean team would play amnd maxium of 70 games
http://www.ballineurope.com/national-teams/european-basketball-something-between-college-basketball-and-nba/

that 32+ games differents

second whos rule would we use our or thier if it our they can say we have the advantage if it thier they have to advantage less games and their rule

how many games would they have to play best of 5 with how many of the world basketball league that could mean a nba play could play 150+ game aseason wouldnt work stern and the player union would sign of on that and cuting the season wouldnt work team owner would give up any more game just to make less money

that's why you have to compromise and work something out :)

rapswin98
07-23-2008, 06:11 PM
It would be nice to have the champions league of basketball but i don't think its realistic

_Sn1P3r_
07-23-2008, 07:00 PM
I actually personally wouldn't mind watching that. It'll determine literally the world champs.

chicagowhitesox
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd watch it.

Reezy
07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
What are we waiting for? Get it done.

bostncelts34
07-23-2008, 07:16 PM
you really think Boston could have played MORE games? they already played 109 games. And then have a short off season. Where the hell would they have time to play the sp=anish and euro league teams and stuff. I mean i like the IDEA, and id watch it. But it will never happen.

Raptors27
07-23-2008, 07:19 PM
I'd watch it, but it wont happen anytime soon.

Reezy
07-23-2008, 07:21 PM
you really think Boston could have played MORE games? they already played 109 games. And then have a short off season. Where the hell would they have time to play the sp=anish and euro league teams and stuff. I mean i like the IDEA, and id watch it. But it will never happen.
Shorten the NBA season to play every team twice.

dre1990
07-23-2008, 07:27 PM
wont happen in the near future

DeShaun Brown
07-23-2008, 07:38 PM
What you're talking about would be awsome. I'm not sure how fare it would be though. The best players play here. Let's say for example the Mavs win the title and had to play against a German team, Dirk would have to play with the Dallas instead of his country. On the other hand, with more and more players leaving the NBA for Europe and the recent compitition in the Olypics, maybe it won't be so one sided.

BTownTeamsRKing
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
is this a joke? cool idea, but this year's Celtics, last yr's Spurs would completely destroy any of those Euro teams.

the lakers had kobe and got embarrased.

Jay22Redd
07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Then, we probably wouldnt have the olympics

Reezy
07-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Then, we probably wouldnt have the olympics
He's talking about basketball clubs, not countries.

Think UEFA Champions League.

Chaudhry
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
as soon as the josh childress signed with olympikos thats exactly what i thought... at this stage the worst nba club would beat the best international club... you can't look at argentina winnin last years olympics since they had 4 or 5 nba players...

however if this trend of high school phenoms and mediocre nba players going overseas continues you might get a club who can put up a fight...

tonyd3b54
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
i think instead of taking the nba champions and letting them play the world... we should let the most qualified teams from around the world merge in with the nba... and any players that want to join in with the teams in other countries would hav to enter through the nba free agency so they cant just take say all the best players in europe and put them on the same team...

dark_angel#8
07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
I think It's a good Idea... but it's a long way to go...

FOBolous
07-24-2008, 12:13 AM
someone sent this idea to David Stern :D

bostncelts34
07-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Shorten the NBA season to play every team twice.

but that means less money in the GM's pockets/sterns pockets. would never happen

OaklandsFinest
07-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Foreign teams are not getting more competitive, they change the rules and skew the rules to favor them. Their not as big the widen the lane, they aren't as good of shooters they bring the line in, they can't handle game the length of the game so they have a running clock. You can't say you're getting more competitive when you change all the rules to favor you and then say "oh we're getting better"

OaklandsFinest
07-24-2008, 02:08 AM
i think instead of taking the nba champions and letting them play the world... we should let the most qualified teams from around the world merge in with the nba... and any players that want to join in with the teams in other countries would hav to enter through the nba free agency so they cant just take say all the best players in europe and put them on the same team...

Thats a horrible idea. For one just the traveling logistics would be a nightmare, then you add more teams to water down the product. The NBA is the best basketball league in the world, if you can not make one of the 30 teams we already have, you're not good enough. Sorry. We'll play every couple of years in FIBA and the Olympics, stomp you out like a small fire, and laugh about it on the ride back. You stick ANY of their teams with NBA rules, its a route. I bet the Seattle Sonics or the New York Knicks would walk over most of those teams.

OaklandsFinest
07-24-2008, 02:11 AM
JOSH CHILDRESS??????? We are still talking about the guy who couldn't start in ATLANTA right? and Brandon Jennings is going to Europe for one year because his dumb *** couldn't get into college, then hes back in America in the NBA.

Chronz
07-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Why, the NBA representative would just stomp on the opposition, after awhile these games get really boring.

cuttygiantsfan
07-24-2008, 03:52 AM
why should it b USA vs. World??? wasnt Argentina the world champs???

king4day
07-24-2008, 04:13 AM
since leagues from around the world are growing more competitive year after year...i think it would be cool if we have something like a world championship series where the champions from each league around the world play against each other for the ultimate title of "world champions." what do yall think? :D

i think this would work better than trying to place a NBA team in Europe or trying to incorporate an European team to the NBA

I like the idea. Not for a league title, but just a fun round robin sorta thing. Each year it's held in another country.
Since it's the champion team, it isn't the same as olympics.

*Superman*
07-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Its too complicated, too many games for the players, and for the fans, we would have to learn names and the games of so many players, ill pass.

stawka
07-24-2008, 04:55 AM
The top players would be stupid to play. I don't see KG/Ray/Pierce playing against Scrubs from China/Spain/Greece when he just beat the Lakers. Why waste their time? At the end of the day, they play to win the NBA Championship.

Although it is a good idea, I don't see the NBA Superstars risking injury etc for nothing...

fhatmanz
07-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I love the NBA...

but this is one of many examples to why SOCCER is the most advanced sport... NBA, NFL, MLB are all jokes compared to soccer....You don't have to like the game.. but at least admit that is amazing how cool it is to have this type of unity..

In Italy they have the Serie A, in England the Premireiship, in Spain LA Liga..etc..etc.. All of three leagues are like the NBA in each country in terms of competition... Italian club teams are just as strong as England and Spain vice-versa....(and I am leaving out France, Portugual, Germany and more)....

They all play their seasonal games and have their own championship games... and then its the Champions League.... The top 4 (i think) teams from each league play each other....

I think its great that NBA capable players are going overseas.... In soccer you have Cristiano Ronaldo in England, Kaka and Ronadlhino in Italy, Messi and Henry in Spain.... The top players are all over the world...

Imagine.... Lebron in Spain, Kobe in Italy, Wade in Star Jones.....etc

Rico1455
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
If your talking National teams - The Best U.S. team vs. any other national team would be a blow out.

or you could wait till 8/8/08 and watch it on NBC or whatever channel it'll be on.

awr0430
07-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Doing this on top of the Olympics and NBA Finals would be ridiculous. We would lose players left and right to injuries.

LA_Raiders
07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
That would be fun, the Spanish, Italian, Greek leagues are good...

KB24PG16
07-24-2008, 02:55 PM
yea there should be because when a team wins the nba championship stern declares them world champs when actually they are national champs big difference

FOBolous
07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Doing this on top of the Olympics and NBA Finals would be ridiculous. We would lose players left and right to injuries.

Yao Ming does it...but than again, Yao Ming gets injured a lot :shrug:

canzano55
07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
I love the NBA...

but this is one of many examples to why SOCCER is the most advanced sport... NBA, NFL, MLB are all jokes compared to soccer....You don't have to like the game.. but at least admit that is amazing how cool it is to have this type of unity..

In Italy they have the Serie A, in England the Premireiship, in Spain LA Liga..etc..etc.. All of three leagues are like the NBA in each country in terms of competition... Italian club teams are just as strong as England and Spain vice-versa....(and I am leaving out France, Portugual, Germany and more)....

They all play their seasonal games and have their own championship games... and then its the Champions League.... The top 4 (i think) teams from each league play each other....

I think its great that NBA capable players are going overseas.... In soccer you have Cristiano Ronaldo in England, Kaka and Ronadlhino in Italy, Messi and Henry in Spain.... The top players are all over the world...

Imagine.... Lebron in Spain, Kobe in Italy, Wade in Star Jones.....etc

The Champions League is one of the greatest sporting entertainment events year round and in terms of notoriety around the world it beats the NFL, especially in revenue.

If American franchise sports wants to broaden its enterprise and make the bigger bucks its going to have to start considering international competition one way or the other.

FOBolous
07-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Foreign teams are not getting more competitive, they change the rules and skew the rules to favor them. Their not as big the widen the lane, they aren't as good of shooters they bring the line in, they can't handle game the length of the game so they have a running clock. You can't say you're getting more competitive when you change all the rules to favor you and then say "oh we're getting better"

the NBA is guilty of that too. various NBA rules have changed in the past 10 years to make the game easier for our offensive players and to inflate the amount of points scored a game in order to make the games more "exciting." The hand checking rules (cause let's face, anyone who played basketball knows it's easier to guard people when you can put a hand on them) is a great example. The defensive three second violation is another great example.

and i disagree with you about what you said on how Europeans aren't as good of shooters. If anything, what they're best as is shooting. Some of the best 3 pts shooters in the NBA are European players.

BTownTeamsRKing
07-24-2008, 10:56 PM
The top players would be stupid to play. I don't see KG/Ray/Pierce playing against Scrubs from China/Spain/Greece when he just beat the Lakers. Why waste their time? At the end of the day, they play to win the NBA Championship.

Although it is a good idea, I don't see the NBA Superstars risking injury etc for nothing...

best point so far.

they play to win the NBA CHAMPIONSHIP. they go crazy and celebrate and popbottles after winning it all. they wont even care much after beating some Euro team that is worse than a summer league team.

if u want proof, see China vs. summer lg teams last yr.

for example, this yr the Celtics could through out there,

Pruitt, TA, Posey, Powe, Pollard and win easily. it wouldnt be any competition at all. think of this, the lakers had the best player in the world (maybe we need that proven to some ppl), and couldnt beat the Celtics, nevermind some random team from Europe.

i dont know why ppl think those Euro teams are even good. id like to see them go into UCLA, UNC, DUKE, Ohio State, Florida, Memphis, Kansas, or any college powerhouse and win.