PDA

View Full Version : Childress bolts, will Sasha Follow?

fairandbalanced
07-23-2008, 10:28 AM
With the dollar value falling, it is becoming cheaper for European teams to sign pro-Basketball players. Don't be suprised if a Team blow the Lakers out with a substancial offer for NBA stars in future and present players such as Sasha Vujacic.

DeeJay
07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
yes Josh is gone....

Hawks restricted free agent Josh Childress has officially signed a three year contract to play for the Greek team Olympiakos.

Hawks beat reporter Sekou Smith writes that it is "a three-year, fully guaranteed contract worth far more than the $20 million initially believed to be his prize." Childress isn't the first NBA player to defect to the European league this summer, but he is easily the best. A precedent has been set, and it's unlikely to be reversed by anything except higher salaries. Meanwhile, Atlanta loses one of their best players and gets nothing but a tattered reputation in return. So much for last season's good vibes.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution /Rotoworld

SHONIE
07-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I hope sasha leaves. His hair makes me want to puke.

DeeJay
07-23-2008, 10:34 AM
I hope sasha leaves. His hair makes me want to puke.

what a mature comment. :rolleyes:

#24 Lakerland
07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Wait, so Hawks can't match that offer? Isn't he restricted? Can someone explain this.

Mr Grim
07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I dont think they can match it because he's no longer playing in America or the NBA. Its a different league entirely.

BTownTeamsRKing
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
do they have defensless chairs for him to punch in Europe?

ZHawk1123
07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Seems to be the new trend.

travesy3
07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Even though they didn't have to sign an offer sheet the Hawks can offer what ever amount they want, this was the only leverage he had since no one else offered. So the Hawks figured he was bluffing(I assume), so he bolted, for more money, the Hawks organization is a joke, they have one of the best cores, bring in some damn owners who actually want to win some games.

With Bird years, the Hawks could offer what ever they wanted, so technically speaking, the Hawks could have "matched" this offer simply by offering the same amount, even no offer sheet process would have taken place. If they lose J-Smoove, this organization will get absolutely no respect, and if I was JJ I would want out, no attempt is being made to win by these stingy owners.

unicar15
07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Anyone who is already entrenched in the NBA (like Childress) who goes to the Euroleague is a sellout in my opinion. They are the definition of a sellout. Going some place SOLELY for money is disgusting to me when you aren't competing for anything worth while (a euroleague championship...please thats a joke). Its like the competition of actually competing for an NBA title has lost its mystique.

dawgsfan_45
07-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Anyone who is already entrenched in the NBA (like Childress) who goes to the Euroleague is a sellout in my opinion. They are the definition of a sellout. Going some place SOLELY for money is disgusting to me when you aren't competing for anything worth while (a euroleague championship...please thats a joke). Its like the competition of actually competing for an NBA title has lost its mystique.

I ****ing agree! Makes me wanna :puke:

travesy3
07-23-2008, 11:11 AM

Well, he was generating no interest from any other teams, so I have heard, rather than go back to Atlanta for less than he deserved, he got an offer from Europe, I am sure he figured Atlanta would offer the same, or at least something comparable. I would leave that Hawks team for Europe if no other NBA team offered me a good deal, maybe just for a year, but regardless, I am sure Childress, or anyone who goes to Europe will be back in the NBA one day.

The Hawks make a good team then kill it. A bunch of idiots those owners, I really do hope they lose Smith now.

ugottabjoshinme
07-23-2008, 11:29 AM

This is true and it is a real knock against the NBA. The euroleagues have definately become more competitive over the last few years. The NBA is on track to become a less competitive league than some of the Europe ones. David Stern should be concerned. If more players follow this same path as childress, the NBA might not be the powerhouse when looking at world basketball

travesy3
07-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Guys, the best players overall, in the world will be playing in the NBA. I personally do not think losing players of Childress' caliber is going to really make the NBA that much worse. Once big names start to get offers from Europe, that is when I would get concerned. And realistically, any team can resign their own FA to these offers that Europe is offering, it is basically because of how cheap the Hawks organization is, I am not worried at all about this, at least right now.

KB24forMVP
07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
http://http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/53710/20080723/childress_bolts_for_greece/

With the dollar value falling, it is becoming cheaper for European teams to sign pro-Basketball players. Don't be suprised if a Team blow the Lakers out with a substancial offer for NBA stars in future and present players such as Sasha Vujacic.

Why does everybody keep blaming players leaving for Europe because of the declining dollar-value. That has very little to do with it! If the salary cap wasn't so low maybe NBA teams could keep more of these marginal players without essentially having to pay double for their services off the bench. GMs and owners don't want to have to pay significant luxury taxes to keep these mediocre players. I personally think this is a good thing because GMs aren't overpaying for crappy players and screwing up future cap space (i.e. Luke Walton, Damon Jones, Vladimir Radmonovic, Wally Z, I can go on and on). If Lebron James and D-Wade sign in Europe in 2010, then I'll be worried because the NBA would actually be losing ELITE talent. But the Euro league can have 2nd and 3rd tier players like Childress and Vujacic. Guys like them come into the league every year.

bothfeef
07-23-2008, 11:38 AM

I don't think he's a sellout. He comes off the bench for the Hawks. Im sure he wants a chance to be the go to guy. He will get more money, get to travel all over Europe, and live on the Meditarranean.

I wonder if any European teams have considered going after Deng, considering he is already an international player.

jtrinaldi
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
GO ITALY hahahahahahahahahha hawks fans

travesy3
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't think he's a sellout. He comes off the bench for the Hawks. Im sure he wants a chance to be the go to guy. He will get more money, get to travel all over Europe, and live on the Meditarranean.

I wonder if any European teams have considered going after Deng, considering he is already an international player.

If I am correct they have been generating interest from Europe, although there are still alot of guys who want to play in the NBA, because that is where the best players in the world play.

But you guys have to also consider, that in Childress' position, you had the choice between 3 mill or what ever the Hawks may have been offering, or 10 million in Europe per year over 3 years you would take the Hawks offer to be "In The Glory Of The NBA" when in fact you aren't even starting? Get realz.

JIDsanity
07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Wait, so Hawks can't match that offer? Isn't he restricted? Can someone explain this.

He's going to a different country. The offer can't be matched. It's a different league

JIDsanity
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM

So anyone that doesn't want a ring like you do is a sellout. Not everyone is gonna want the same thing as you do. Different people have different career aspirations. He comes from a different background thatn you and lives a different life than you.

Black_Mamba_24
07-23-2008, 11:51 AM
The fact of the matter is that he is not woth 7 mil per year so I dont think the hawks made that big of a mistake. He went to Europe beaose the money was better and he has a chance to be a star without having to work as hard

Seems to be the new trend.

How is it a new trend what other good players have done it?

travesy3
07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
He's going to a different country. The offer can't be matched. It's a different league

YES THEY COULD

Lol, I don't know how to better explain this, do you know what bird years are? Childress has 4 of them, which means the Hawks can offer any amount of money they want to Childress. So technically speaking, they could offer the same amount that the Greece team was offering. Although no offer sheet would be signed or what ever, they would still be "matching" the offer, since they can offer any amount they want.

Chilress was initially using this as leverage, but the Hawks just shoved it aside, so he signed it.

arlubas
07-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Even though they didn't have to sign an offer sheet the Hawks can offer what ever amount they want, this was the only leverage he had since no one else offered. So the Hawks figured he was bluffing(I assume), so he bolted, for more money, the Hawks organization is a joke, they have one of the best cores, bring in some damn owners who actually want to win some games.

With Bird years, the Hawks could offer what ever they wanted, so technically speaking, the Hawks could have "matched" this offer simply by offering the same amount, even no offer sheet process would have taken place. If they lose J-Smoove, this organization will get absolutely no respect, and if I was JJ I would want out, no attempt is being made to win by these stingy owners.
Completely agreed. It's like these guys have zero interest in winning anything. They had their first playoff team in I don't know how many years and coming into the offseason they had two big goals: to return both their restricted FAs, Childress and Smith. The first is already gone and the second is already feeling unwanted in Atlanta's roster. When will these guys get that players actually want to make some money as well and the fans in ATL want a competing team for a change? :pity:

BlondeBomber41
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
YES THEY COULD

Lol, I don't know how to better explain this, do you know what bird years are? Childress has 4 of them, which means the Hawks can offer any amount of money they want to Childress. So technically speaking, they could offer the same amount that the Greece team was offering. Although no offer sheet would be signed or what ever, they would still be "matching" the offer, since they can offer any amount they want.

Chilress was initially using this as leverage, but the Hawks just shoved it aside, so he signed it.

What he was asking is if the Hawks could match the offer and force Childress to stay in Atlanta, which they couldnt. Yes they could of offered the same amount, but Childress could leave if he wanted to.

travesy3
07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
What he was asking is if the Hawks could match the offer and force Childress to stay in Atlanta, which they couldnt. Yes they could of offered the same amount, but Childress could leave if he wanted to.

If the Hawks offer him a contract he has to sign it regardless does he not?

JIDsanity
07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
YES THEY COULD

Well is guess your right about matching the offer, but they still can't get anything in return if Childress doesn't wanna play for them anymore

JIDsanity
07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
If the Hawks offer him a contract he has to sign it regardless does he not?

no he doesn't

mays217
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM

very well said.

LA_Raiders
07-23-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree, no team has $ in the table for Machine (LA did but not what he wants), he may be leaving....

x_notorious
07-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Hawks restricted free agent Josh Childress has officially signed a three year contract to play for the Greek team Olympiakos. Exact amounts are unknown, but it is reportedly the most lucrative contract in Euroleague history, and is fully guaranteed. Childress isn't the first NBA player to defect to the European league this summer, but he is easily the best. A precedent has been set, and it's unlikely to be reversed by anything except higher salaries. Meanwhile, Atlanta loses one of their best players and gets nothing but a tattered reputation in return. So much for last season's good vibes

rotoworld

obrpunk
07-23-2008, 12:39 PM
if this is what it takes to bring these guys back down to earth, good. let them go be big man on campus in euroleague. they will realize it isnt the same. owners paying good-but-not-great players who have never won anything (arenas, webber, rashard lewis, etc.) huge salaries has finally caught up with the league. any player who puts up ok numbers for a season or two thinks they should snag a max deal. enough is enough. josh childress, who are you? what have you done and why do you think you deserve a fat deal? atl fans, don't get me wrong, i think hes a good player, i loved watching the hawks last season make their playoff run, it was fun and they have a bright future. but shouldnt there be some qualifications as to what entitles you to a payday? i don't think squeaking out the 8th seed in a god-awful eastern conference as a role player makes a big check a gimmie. and as its been stated before in this thread, where is the love for the league and the pride of playing against the best? i belive the word "sellout" was used and i couldn't agree more. i wish more owners would tell these guys to get bent.

arlubas
07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
if this is what it takes to bring these guys back down to earth, good. let them go be big man on campus in euroleague. they will realize it isnt the same. owners paying good-but-not-great players who have never won anything (arenas, webber, rashard lewis, etc.) huge salaries has finally caught up with the league. any player who puts up ok numbers for a season or two thinks they should snag a max deal. enough is enough. josh childress, who are you? what have you done and why do you think you deserve a fat deal? atl fans, don't get me wrong, i think hes a good player, i loved watching the hawks last season make their playoff run, it was fun and they have a bright future. but shouldnt there be some qualifications as to what entitles you to a payday? i don't think squeaking out the 8th seed in a god-awful eastern conference as a role player makes a big check a gimmie. and as its been stated before in this thread, where is the love for the league and the pride of playing against the best? i belive the word "sellout" was used and i couldn't agree more. i wish more owners would tell these guys to get bent.
The guy has the chance to make the money he would never make in his last year with the Hawks so I don't see what's wrong with that. Wouldn't you? And don't give me that faith and devotion bull, that's all good when you're under your 20s but when it's time to think about your future as well you realise there's more to basketball than just the love for the game. Josh wanted to cash in and there's nothing wrong with that especially after the way the Hawks choose to ignore his free agent status. If your team doesn't show you some love first and there is another team that is throwing huge bucks at you plus shows you all the love in the world from day one I can't see why he is a sellout and not the Hawks cheap...

obrpunk
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
i really don't think he has to worry about feeding his family or paying the bills so i don't buy that "gotta get paid" mentality. if you wanna play euroleague fine, nothing wrong with that...it's just with the money these guys are asking for these days they are backing their teams into a corner looking to get the extra millions instead of wanting to win and allowing the team extra cap room to put more talent around you. its greed on all sides, players wanting more $ and owners wating it to stay in their pockets. but if you have a good thing going on a young, up and coming team, why would you walk away? i guess money talks in the long run.

C-Webb
07-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Wow - I'll eat my other words from the thread when this was just a rumor. I didn't think a US born player would bolt even given the money.

No Childress, Josh Smith situation getting ugly, the young Hawks are suddenly looking like the same old Hawks.

King Koopa
07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Why does everybody keep blaming players leaving for Europe because of the declining dollar-value. That has very little to do with it! If the salary cap wasn't so low maybe NBA teams could keep more of these marginal players without essentially having to pay double for their services off the bench. GMs and owners don't want to have to pay significant luxury taxes to keep these mediocre players. I personally think this is a good thing because GMs aren't overpaying for crappy players and screwing up future cap space (i.e. Luke Walton, Damon Jones, Vladimir Radmonovic, Wally Z, I can go on and on). If Lebron James and D-Wade sign in Europe in 2010, then I'll be worried because the NBA would actually be losing ELITE talent. But the Euro league can have 2nd and 3rd tier players like Childress and Vujacic. Guys like them come into the league every year.

I dont think Wade and lebron will leave the big Market here in the USA, and go to another country.

charlsdq7
07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3501488

Damn Europe, he signed three year deal:speechless:

bball1217
07-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Just wondering, is it the same rules in international soccer for basketball, that you have to pay an amount to the club (in this case the European team would have to pay the Hawks an amount of money that both teams agree with) to have the rights to a player and then the new club has to sign him to a contract?...just wondering

jtrinaldi
07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
we have a few threads of this already

Tony_Starks
07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
YES THEY COULD

FYI the Hawks couldn't match that contract, they keep his Restrictive FA rights if and when he decides to come back, but they couldn't stop him from signing because its a FIBA deal. This is from yahoosports:

"Childress is a restricted free agent, but the Hawks would have no matching rights with a FIBA contract. Olympiakosí offer also would allow Childress the opportunity to return to the NBA over the next two summers. The Hawks would maintain his restricted free-agent rights provided they make him a qualifying offer"

I dont feel bad for ATL management at all they deserved this. These owners are making $$$ hand over fist and they want to try to lowball the players or play a stupid cat and mouse game until the player/agent gets tired and just caves in. Hopefully this will wake some of these idiots wake up as to what good business practices are. You have a good young team with pretty much all the pieces in place coming off a eventful playoff making season that will undoubtedly increase ticket sales this year and you do this? Its just plain stupid and greedy!

fresh prince
07-23-2008, 01:50 PM

So if your job were willing to triple your salary for you to relocate would you be a sellout?

IndiansFan337
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow - I'll eat my other words from the thread when this was just a rumor. I didn't think a US born player would bolt even given the money.

I'm eating my words as well. I thought it was a bluff, honestly. And a weak one, at that. There goes my credibility. :p

You're right about the Josh Smith negotiations too. Now bringing him back is even more vital. And will be even more hard to do for anything less than the max, even though he is not worth that amount.

bogdanrom
07-23-2008, 02:10 PM

What are you talking about? Most of these guys lived in poor and bad neighborhoods. Of course they will take more money no matter where they go. There not sellout. The Hawks didnt't do anything to make Josh feel welcome so he left. This is the Hawks' management fault. It is kinda sad but that's life. And it's not like superstars or even stars are going there. The NBA better watch out. In 5-10 years the Euroleague will be really close or even better than the NBA if the the commisioner doesn't do anything.

Mr Wonderful
07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Disagreeing with that man going to play in Greece is the dumbest ****ing **** I've heard yet. Who in the hell would limit their earning potential just because YOU said the NBA is the best? If someone offered you more money to work somewhere else, you'd take it. He's not the first NBA player to go overseas to play, and won't be the last. And that dollar value comment is a bunch of bull****, buy some gas in Europe and let me know how that $4.34 a gallon here looks to you after a week.

Sports Illustrator
07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
The Hawks should have seriously looked into extending him last season and they currently took too long into making him a nice offer, and now he is gone to Greece.

As an NBA fan, I am not happy because we won't be seeing him play in the NBA anymore until his contract possibly runs out. This isn't something any of us expected, nor is it a usual scenario. Usually the players who do not get minutes in the NBA are the ones who leave to Europe or other foreign countries. In the NBA, he could have gotten a similar contract but now in Greece, he is going to be like Jordan over there, so I do understand his decision. Its a new life and you learn a lot.

OleState
07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Just wondering, is it the same rules in international soccer for basketball, that you have to pay an amount to the club (in this case the European team would have to pay the Hawks an amount of money that both teams agree with) to have the rights to a player and then the new club has to sign him to a contract?...just wondering

He was a free agent and his contract was up with the Hawks but because he was a restricted free agent the hawks could match any offer that any other "NBA" team made. But it would have been his decision no matter what.

I think it was a good move for him because the money is going to be there now even though he not even at the level of the best in the NBA. His contract will allow him to opt out at any year so he can come back whenever he wants. He will now be the best player abroad; the highest paid and will probably land major endorsements in Europe (league or team, probably not the whole Europe Lol) that he would have never gotten here. He has the chance to be the face of basketball in Europe because he will probably dominate over there. Because the Europeans stars that are in the NBA nowadays were just high potential when they came over and then developed into the stars they are. So he will be playing against guys that aren't targeted by the NBA because most of them are young and come off the bench.

Now as far as this "sell-out" thing goes you are all crazy, because the NBA and every company will "sell-out" you just as fast. Players get traded without even being told (i.e. Camby) players are cut and itís all about "BUSINESS" so at the end of the day itís all about dollar signs. And I think he will be bringing in the dollar signs.

Signing Off...........

THE_LOGO
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Talk all you want about being sellouts, love for the game, etc. but the bottomline is this is still business. Who are any of us to say what Childress is worth? Here in the US, apparently not 10M/yr or whatever it is. All he did was put a product out there and the highest bidder paid him. And as most of you think he's only a second or third tier player or even lower, then why be upset about losing him to the euroleague?

Camby got traded for less than a cheeseburger yet Denver doesn't get as much crap. The impending release of Marbury will probably be celebrated and called a good move by NY. Childress wasn't offered as much money by the Hawks, and he's the bad guy? He has to work less (short season), get to travel, be treated like god, and NO TAXES. Both parties were smart in their decisions. Childress got his cash and Hawks didn't overpay.

Diego_Le
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM

No it's no like international soccer the NBA team does not get compensated cash when the European team signs a player that use to be them.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
very surprised with Josh Childress.

dsonLAL24
07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

its the euro league they dont have to follow any rules of the NBA.

dsonLAL24
07-23-2008, 03:04 PM

why? the Hawks weren't willing to offer Childress for what he's worth. They were thinking that no one could sign him except for them and they were willing to offer him somewhere around the MLE. IMO the Hawks could have kept Josh if they were to offer him a resonable deal.

midwestmadman
07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
For 20M and a chance to live in Greece I think i would go to. Michigan sucks in the Winter it's too cold, in the Summer it's too hot, and in the Spring and fall it can be 80 one day and then snow the next, I guess what I am trying to say is that I need to move.

bogdanrom
07-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Nobody should be surprised. The Hawks didn't do anything and he left. No other team in the NBA could have given him this money so he left. I think it's a good decision. It just shows how global the game has become.

_Sn1P3r_
07-23-2008, 05:51 PM

I wasn't. He was getting offered more money Hawks would've given and he could improve more in Europe and become a star then come back in the NBA worth more.

king4day
07-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Have any other players been rumored to defect? I didn't go through the entire thread but was Vujacic one of them?

king4day
07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I wasn't. He was getting offered more money Hawks would've given and he could improve more in Europe and become a star then come back in the NBA worth more.

And since he has the option to opt out of the contract after each year, I'm sure that ends any 'home sickness' scares that could made him decide against it.

DeeJay
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Josh Childress' decision to sign with the Greek team Olympiakos was primarily a financial decision -- their three-year, $32.5 million offer is (with the exchange rate and tax differential) nearly twice as much as the Hawks were willing to pay.

The Euroleague contract includes some bona fide perks, like living expenses, luxury accommodations, a chauffeur and maid service. He can also decide, each summer, whether to return to the NBA as a restricted free agent, without worrying about buy-outs. Taken as a whole, it's pretty easy to see why he accepted the offer from Greece.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

per Rotoworld...

I would go too.

AsfanSince99
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM

What makes him a sellout? It's the ATL Hawks fault for being so damn cheap. They're the east coast version of the Clippers.

If another job offers you a raise, are you gonna turn it down just because you think Wal-mart is the best??

And how is the euro league a joke when their players keep snatching GOLD away from the Americans in Olympic competition.

Jay22Redd
07-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, he was generating no interest from any other teams, so I have heard, rather than go back to Atlanta for less than he deserved, he got an offer from Europe, I am sure he figured Atlanta would offer the same, or at least something comparable. I would leave that Hawks team for Europe if no other NBA team offered me a good deal, maybe just for a year, but regardless, I am sure Childress, or anyone who goes to Europe will be back in the NBA one day.

The Hawks make a good team then kill it. A bunch of idiots those owners, I really do hope they lose Smith now.

Well, personally I wouldnt leave the states for any country because I love the states. I dont disagree with your theory though.

unicar15
07-23-2008, 08:54 PM
So anyone that doesn't want a ring like you do is a sellout. Not everyone is gonna want the same thing as you do. Different people have different career aspirations. He comes from a different background thatn you and lives a different life than you.

Different background...come on. How much money do you really need? I'm all about getting paid and taking advantage of a great contract...in the NBA. The goal of these guys should be to make it to the NBA, be the best they can be, and put themselves in position to win a championship. As a great man once said...You play to win the game. He didn't say...you play to make your money. I just think that the image of the NBA suffers because everyone already thinks that most of these guys are just going after the most money.

fairandbalanced
07-23-2008, 11:24 PM
In 2010, an European team will break the Bank and an NBA superstar will be gone, write that down. The dollar is garbage now. 1 dollar is equal in value to 35 euro cents.

cmellofan15
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
sasha vujacic needs to run away to avoid skip 2 my lou & mello

bogdanrom
07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Different background...come on. How much money do you really need? I'm all about getting paid and taking advantage of a great contract...in the NBA. The goal of these guys should be to make it to the NBA, be the best they can be, and put themselves in position to win a championship. As a great man once said...You play to win the game. He didn't say...you play to make your money. I just think that the image of the NBA suffers because everyone already thinks that most of these guys are just going after the most money.

First of all there is never enough money, e.x. Bill Gates and many others. Second of most of these guys are young, foolish and grew up poor.
The goal has changed for many. For most of them, they don't paly the game for the love they have, the play to make money and get their families "out the hood". just kidding :D. They play to make money.

dre1990
07-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Sasha's not going anywhere

Sports Illustrator
07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Sorting through the difference between Euros and dollars was crucial for Josh Childress and his representatives as they weighed an offer from a Greek team (Olympiakos) paying with Euros and an NBA team (Hawks) paying with dollars. Either way you slice it Olympiakos was offering more, including an annual salary nearly twice the value of the Hawks' offer annually: club becomes a net of salary of about $6.7 million a year for Childress. The Hawks offered five years and $33 million, which after taxes paid by Childress becomes a net salary of about $3.4 million per year for Childress. In addition to the double-stuffed salary Olympiakos also pays for all of Childress' living expenses, including luxury accommodations, a car and driver and maid service. Childress also has an annual opt-out clause in the contract that will allow him to weigh his NBA options, as a restricted free agent provided the Hawks tender a qualifying offer to him, every summer.

From Atlanta Journal Constitution (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/07/23/hawks_childress_contract_numbers.html)

HiphopRelated
07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
They have to address the RFA isssue in the next CBA.

The problem is, teams aren't willing to tie their hands for a week just for Atlanta to match and possibly missing out on another opportunity.

RFA scares teams off from offering deals because it's usually a waste of time.

fairandbalanced
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Looks like Sasha may bolt soon.