PDA

View Full Version : Does the salary cap need more changes?

chomaru
07-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Its not such a huge deal now but I keep reading how "European teams are finding they can out-bid the NBA's MLE without any trouble whatsoever."

I dont want to sound greedy but is anyone else worried this is something we will see more of in the coming years? Will a true superstar jump ship and leave the nba sometime soon?

sorry if this topic has been done before, I went back like 10 pages and didnt see anything.

king4day
07-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I can see the lesser talents going there to make the extra money, but Superstars won't since they will make more money on endorsements here.

Plus, I don't know if big name players will want to risk being homesick for 3-5 years for a few extra mil.

I say leave the cap the way it is.

Hellcrooner
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I think we will see a young superstar doing the jump , or at least bluffing about the jump soon.

In fact as soon as a excellent prospect who is on a Lottery team , gets fed up of it and says, i dont want to resign, and their gm says, i have the right to match any offer!!!! so you are staying here!!!! haha ahahahah

then the young star will say? oh yeah? you sure? im paking my bags to europe.....

Restricted FA should be removed.

The83rdWonder
07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I think we will see a young superstar doing the jump , or at least bluffing about the jump soon.

In fact as soon as a excellent prospect who is on a Lottery team , gets fed up of it and says, i dont want to resign, and their gm says, i have the right to match any offer!!!! so you are staying here!!!! haha ahahahah

then the young star will say? oh yeah? you sure? im paking my bags to europe.....

Restricted FA should be removed.

He could just demand a trade.

Without restricted FA, there would be a few teams with too much dominant talent, and the rest of the league with watered down talent.

travesy3
07-23-2008, 12:13 PM
The teams can match these offers.

jokesterz
07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
if the luxury tax was gone wat would stop let say the knicks from buying thier next title team like boston lake knick and bull would have unlimited funds

we need it to keep the league in check.

we complain about euro stealing our players we are stealing thier loook dirk pau turk so wat if they steal the nba player sooner or latter a nba superstar going to leave stern ****ing up the nba with all his rules

travesy3
07-23-2008, 12:25 PM
The NBA is where the BEST players on the planet are meant to play. The NBA isn't stealing anyone from anywhere, they are coming here to play in the best league in the world, not because of money.

JordansBulls
07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Yes no team should be allowed to spend more than 50 million and no player that is not a superstar or top 10 player should make more than 10 million a year.

If Larry Bird or Magic Johnson or Kareem never made that much in a season, why should guys nowadays? Especially guys who are not stars.

ugottabjoshinme
07-23-2008, 12:37 PM
The teams can match these offers.

No they cant. Some teams can not spend more than the MLE on these players. So teams cannot match offers to MLE caliber players who are getting offered more than the MLE by european clubs. More of these level 2 level 3 tier NBA players will probably sign in Europe over the next few years. It will be a problem if a superstar player makes the jump.

ugottabjoshinme
07-23-2008, 12:48 PM
No they cant. Some teams can not spend more than the MLE on these players. So teams cannot match offers to MLE caliber players who are getting offered more than the MLE by european clubs. More of these level 2 level 3 tier NBA players will probably sign in Europe over the next few years. It will be a problem if a superstar player makes the jump.

I made an incorrect statement. I was not aware of the Bird exception. Teams are allowed to go over the cap to resign there own free agents. So money wise, teams can match european offers to their free agents.

Hellcrooner
07-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Cap should be SEVERELY corrected ( not eliminated).

there shoudl be LESS exceptions too .

but i think stern should be aware of the Dollars devaluation and current high inflastion rates and make a big increase of the cap for next year, like 75 million dollars or something.

I would also Allow to make deals in Euros, to avoid good players going overseas.

Hellcrooner
07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
maybe put tigher limits on maximum salaries, basing on Age and stats.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
I say leave it the way it is unless some big name players leave to Europe which I doubt..

18colts29
07-23-2008, 05:32 PM
No, they don't need any more money. Since when is 10, 15, 20 million a year not enough. If anything the NBA should lower the cap so they go back to under 10 million for superstars.

_Sn1P3r_
07-23-2008, 05:44 PM
I say leave it the way it is unless some big name players leave to Europe which I doubt..

I agree. I doubt big name players would head to Europe because they are teams' first priorities.

KG#1
07-23-2008, 07:04 PM
max contract should be lowered to pay others more