PDA

View Full Version : Nugs: Better w/out Camby in 08-09, 09-10, or never?

DenButsu
07-23-2008, 05:02 AM
It seems to be that the thinking among Nuggets fans on the impact of the Camby trade separates people into three main groups.

The smallest group (from what I can tell) thinks that Camby was more of a liability than an asset, and that the Nuggets will be immediately better without him in the roster.

The second smallest group think that damage will be done in the short term, but that damage will be reparable when AI's contract comes off the books next summer and the FO can make the most of the trade exception and financial flexibility gained by trading Camby.

And the largest group (or at the very least, the most vocal) believes that Camby was simply given away for nothing in a move that squandered a potentially valuable trade piece (or player) and that value will never be fully recovered.

Now that we've had about a week to absorb the reality that Camby is gone, and evaluate the details and meaning of the trade more carefully and more objectively, where are you at? Do you think we'll be better in 08-09? Do you think probably not but we'll recover Camby's value and be better in 09-10? Or do you think the trade was a loss in the final sum?

chaugh970
07-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Hands down I think we will be a better team. Our young core is really gonna blossom this season (JR, Kleiza, Melo and hopefully Nene). Also with a healthy backcourt we are gonna watch Chucky take over and show he is a valuable playmaker/ Shooter.
With Camby gone we no longer will have a center hanging out on the top of the key taking ugly jump shots 5 seconds into the shot clock, our wing players can do that now :P. With Hunter/ Nene/ Kmart we have 3 guys who can muscle up defensively and actually play man denfense not just weak side blocks, and will also defend the paint more vigorously, where camby was a huge liabilty if you watch him night in night out.

DJiC
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
and now without camby anthony carter can emerge as the greatest defensive person on in the NBA since before he was overlooked because of camby right? and then nene would miraculously not be injured every single season after the first game and chucky atkins will also be our 5th option since we all know hes a proven great player...and isnt hunter just tall? he's not strong at all

*Superman*
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Better cap wise....

C-Dub
07-23-2008, 03:53 PM
i think we'll play better as a team on defense becasue they cant rely on camby. he didnt help on offense at all so what did we lose, nothing. i think it was pathetic, rude, and insulting to trade him for nothing, and we could have gotten something to help us more in the future, but without him i think we'll be better off.

Broncs4Life
07-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Right now, the team is probably a little worse off. Camby was the defensive centerpiece for a team that doesn't play defense. I agree with C-Dub that maybe that will make the other guys realize that they have to pick up the slack on the defensive end of the court. This now puts a lot of pressure on Nene to show up un-fat or not fat or tells him that he should not himself fat during the offseason. The team is going to need him at 100% and if he shows up out of shape and lazy like usual, it could be a long year. Don't forget that a couple years ago, he was awesome against Tim Duncan in the playoffs, now if they could get that performance from him night in and night out, then he could make us forget about Camby. Also, Nene is probably a better offensive option than Camby ever was or would have been. I think Nene knows he needs to be down near the basket, while Marcus wanted to shoot from the foul line. I would have prefered that they dealt the Cambyman for a proven commodity or at the very least a high draft pick (or a draft pick would have been nice) but I don't mind that he is gone. What I do mind is that the FO has tried to justify their move and sell us a big line of bologna that this wasn't just a salary dump .

BRAVE KID
07-24-2008, 10:08 AM
i think we'll play better as a team on defense becasue they cant rely on camby. he didnt help on offense at all so what did we lose, nothing. i think it was pathetic, rude, and insulting to trade him for nothing, and we could have gotten something to help us more in the future, but without him i think we'll be better off.Completely agree with you here C-Dub. Replace camby with guys that hustle, rebound and actually play man to man defense, and we won't be missing much except for the block shots.

DenButsu
07-24-2008, 09:39 PM
...I just voted for better in 08-09.*

*This depends on some things, thus the asterisk:

-Nene being healthy
-Melo, K-Mart and Nene all stepping it up with rebounding and defense
-Melo's teammates helping to find Melo in the post and feed to him there (which Camby did well)

Those are some massive IFs, I know. But IF they pan out, I don't think we'll be any worse, and I think we just might even get better.

Here's a post I made about Nene-Camby in the main NBA forum (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5991722&postcount=18), which explains my thoughts on that in more detail.