PDA

View Full Version : Mo Evans may sign with Warriors, has backed out of deal

FC_4_life
07-23-2008, 01:19 AM
We signed Maurice Evans today to a 3 Year, $6.1M deal to fill the void left by Azubuike. This means we won't be resigning Azubuike. Evans is very similar to Buike but he is cheaper yet older... Here's his player's file:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3568

There is no link available yet in regards to the signing, but his Wikipedia page states it clearly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Evans_%28basketball%29

IndiansFan337
07-23-2008, 10:12 AM
This link (http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_W_camby_22.19ec753.html) confirms it at the bottom of the article.

BigWheel
07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I always like Mo Evans defense.

I can live with this for 1-2 years. Its not like Azibuke was a totally polished nba player. By the third year of the contracts Azibuke will probably be the better player - right now its a dead heat.

Thatruth32
07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
crazy.... i dont know to much about him i know he was part of the ariza trade

Crazy Crab
07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
From San Jose Merc--somebody there like the deal too. bye bye buike.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines/ci_9969946

Thatruth32
07-23-2008, 10:45 AM
o ok cool... this must just be breaking.. i had to start work at 5am and had knbr on all morning and they havent even started to sniff this topic at all.....

JLantern
07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
this is horrible news. all this guy brings to the table is athleticism. he cant play d, and has no consistent shot. i've seen many of laker games where this guy was LOUSY on the court. this will prove to be a bad move by the dubs. much rather would have had buke.

mcmjy
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't get this at all. So what if he is cheaper! Cheaper by how much, less than a million more a season!? Unless the Buike deal would have push them over the cap or they are looking at other players to sign, I don't get why they didn't match the Buike deal. I would have liked them to throw the money at Bobby Brown over Buike or Evans, take a chance on a PG, unless New Orleans has already offered a crazy deal...I think Brown would have taken 2-3 million/season..no?

scdakine9
07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
o ok cool... this must just be breaking.. i had to start work at 5am and had knbr on all morning and they havent even started to sniff this topic at all.....

its the knbr morning crew, murph only talks about UCLA and Mac talks about his idol the Boss Bruce Springstein.

Thatruth32
07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
its the knbr morning crew, murph only talks about UCLA and Mac talks about his idol the Boss Bruce Springstein.

lmao true true

mightymouse407
07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
mo evans is an ok role player i mean he started 4 my magic last year n did a pretty good job but im glad we didnt resign him jus look at it as a trade. pietrus 4 mo evans but we got the better player but u got the cheaper player who is still decent

JLantern
07-23-2008, 11:26 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

ULT WARRIOR408
07-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Did We Really Sign Him Cuz Yesterday There Was A B.s. Thread Posted About This Same Topic

Thatruth32
07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Did We Really Sign Him Cuz Yesterday There Was A B.s. Thread Posted About This Same Topic

i dont think its official quite yet as its not on gswarriors.com ... but yea we signed him

ULT WARRIOR408
07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I Gotta See It To B-leave It

GLobo
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
I like Mo Evans from his days in Sac but I'd rather have Buike

Crazy Crab
07-23-2008, 12:22 PM
For a minute I thought they signed dr zaius who might be a better shooter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Zaius

GWarrior
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
The Mercury news is going with the story.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_9969946?source=rss

FC_4_life
07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Haha i hate to say it but i told u so... I knew about this yesterday morning, i even asked someone to sig quote me lol!

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
We couldn't spend 3 more million for a guy whose 3 years younger than Mo Evans, and a better rebounder? Cohan's a cheapskate, or Mullin and Nelson like Mo Evans better.

I guess we can't judge this until we see Mo on the court. He did have a better year than Buike did, and shot the ball even better in the playoffs. Let's just hope it's not a career year and Mo plays even better on the Dubs. Well, he was cheaper than Pietrus and Buike let's hope he's also better.

I still remember him on Sacramento getting up for nasty alley-oop dunks.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maurice_evans/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kelenna_azubuike/career_stats.html

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Azubuike has a higher ceiling, but I will say that Evans does compliment our squad as he's more of a quick leaper ala Pieturs where as Azbuike was a Maggette clone. Evans helps take Pietrus' place, but he won't step out of bounds near the sideline.

Conor
07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Stupid, stupid, stupid. This move really befuddles me, and really pisses me off. I'm still finding it hard to believe, why not just re-sign Azubuike for 800k more per year. He's given this organization all he's got, shown tremendous potential, and is already better than Evans. This makes no sense at all.

Conor
07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Another down side to this: we allow Kelenna to go to a division rival where I believe he can thrive and start. He was also our best defender at times, the only guy on our team who could give guys like Kobe fits.

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
^ Connor initially that's how I felt, and still wish we resigned Buike because he has a higher ceiling. However, Evans is not a bad consolation prize. I just hope he still has his hops.

Conor
07-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Nothing against Evans, but why take the consolation prize when you can just as easily take the better guy? 800k per year should not be stopping us from signing Azubuike instead.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Conor Its Gonna Be Alright Buike Was Cool But I Like This New Squad & You Must Not Have Seen Evans Play He's More Explosive Then Buike

Conor
07-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I've seen Evans play while he was with the Lakers, and he is explosive, but he's also aging, inconsistent, and settles on jumpers too often. Azubuike was explosive, improving, aggressive, solid all around, physical, and arguably a better shooter than Evans.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Buike Was Good But Not Solid All Around If He Was We Would Have Kept Him & Like Buike But C'mon Be Realistic

Conor
07-23-2008, 01:31 PM
What was Azubuike bad at? Nelson could ask him to do anything, outside of play PG, and he do it and do it to his full ability. He really is a jack of all trades.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
I Didnt Say He Was Bad Just A Lil Inconsistant & Yes He Can Due A Lil Of Everything But He Can Be Replaced

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm just pissed Buike went to the Clips giving Baron another weapon at his disposal.

Perhaps they felt Belinelli and Buike or Buike would have regressed or became malcontents with a lack of playing, whereas Maurice Evans is a solid pro, who has proven to thrive an an uptempo game when he was with the Kings.

Evans is a better athlete and perhaps a better defender than Buike and he has shot it well. The problem I have is that Buike has a chance to be starter if not more.

I wish we could have signed and traded Buike along with Perovic and pick to the Nets for Marcus Williams and Josh Boone. Then signed Mo Evans.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-23-2008, 01:41 PM
He's just another bench player who plays good D. Consider him just a filler

kylem4711
07-23-2008, 01:57 PM
this is pretty good news for us clipper fans.

sup ult warrior... ha

ULT WARRIOR408
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
We'll Beat Da Clipps Kylem Now Back To Your Forum

fresh prince
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
As a Laker fan I can tell you...Mo Evans is overrated on D. Azabukie is the much better player here..

Still Mo will fit in well with the up tempo game

kylem4711
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
We'll Beat Da Clipps Kylem Now Back To Your Forum

Ha Ha You Are One Funny Person.

What Is Da By The Way?

POZUNO
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
mo evans is an ok role player i mean he started 4 my magic last year n did a pretty good job but im glad we didnt resign him jus look at it as a trade. pietrus 4 mo evans but we got the better player but u got the cheaper player who is still decent

And we got Buike who will be better than both, given the time...

tadmanny
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Not a lock yet....he wants more money from us.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_9969553

If we up the money, might as well bring Buike back. There is no reason to sign Evans for more than 6.1-6.4 mil. More than that, tell his a%^ to take a hike. BRING BACK BUIKE!!!!!!!!!

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Actually for our team we need a willing role player and defender, and Mo Evans does that.

Our vet 2/3's not including Monta: Jax, Maggette and Harrington= 55 pts.

Now add in Belinelli and Randolph: We're loaded at the wings with offense.

It sucks seaing Azbuike go, but Evans is the better player for us on this team.

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Here's what the Magic forum had to say about Mo Evans.

"It said you might add him, but he put it on hold cause he wants more money, is it official now or what?

Evans is a good defender and a good 3 point shooter. He brings high energy of the bench, but can also be a good starter. I only liked him from the Ariza trade we made and now he is leaving too. GS fans will like him, he also takes it to the hole on some occasions for the slam, so thats always entertaining.

Not to sure about his dribbling skills cause he is not a PG, but a SG. I don't think he will be running the floor for you guys, but then again IDK his dribbling skills.

All in all you are getting a hell of a player and i will miss him greatly. Good luck to him and probably and underrated pick up for you guys."

tadmanny
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
The thing is, this guy will hardly be on the court with the team we already have, so why would we pay more money for a third stringer. They will allow Bellinelli to play more, already have said that. So what's the point?

*Superman*
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Here is the link to listen to what other Magic Fans had to say about him.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249629

Tmac416
07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
any one who actually follows basketball year round knows what this guys brings. he has been a winner on every team, been in the playoffs. he is ideal backup for this team. like gboy said, not gonna be compalining aboput time and also very solid sturdy and has a ton of heart.

*Superman*
07-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm guessing its official right?

http://www.thirdquartercollapse.com/2008/7/23/577540/maurice-evans-signs-with-g

tadmanny
07-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Not yet, my link from above is from earlier today and he still wants more money. they r still negotiating. nothings for sure.

cali72888
07-23-2008, 03:34 PM

hahaha pietrus the better player, that guy is a joke, did absolutly nothing for us last season except complain, i hope your happy when you need someone to step it up playoff time and pietrus steps out of bounds in the clutch moment......pietrus will never be a good nba player, he can be a decent player off the bench, but will never be anything more.
evans>pietrus

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah Evans backed out.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2008/07/23/warriors-talking-to-mo-evans/#comment-3432

JLantern
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
i hope he did, i dont like evans. he doesnt have good shot selection, and i dont believe he plays good D. i also think evans plays a lot like pietrus in the fact that he tries to do more than hes capable of. i think buke knows his role and knows how to flourish in that role. i hope we dont sign evans, and get buke back.

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 03:42 PM
^ You think Buike would be happy riding pine??? Cause he might if Randolph passes him on the depth chart, and if Belinelli and Marcus show they can run PG position sliding Monta back to 2.

JLantern
07-23-2008, 03:47 PM
if buike is going to ride the pine, then what makes you think evans wouldnt ride the pine as well? plus this isnt about making one of these guys happy, its about fielding a deep talented team.

i also think its going to be hard for monta to be pushed out of the 1 spot cuz i dont think (who knows) that nelson wants to play jack or maggette at the 4.

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 04:01 PM
^Evans will ride the pine and be content, he's done that in the past. Last year we had Pietrus whining and begging for a trade, which affected his play. Will Buike do the same? Will erratic minutes affect his play? Will he be a malcontent? I don't think so, but if I was 25 and not playing I'd be pissed.

More important than fielding a deep and talented team,
we need to field a team that plays together.

Last year Denver was one of the most talented teams I've ever seen with fielding 4 current or former All Stars and talented youngster Kleiza, Nene and JR Smith off the bench.

The Spurs are Duncan, Ginobili and Parker with a bunch of no-names and has beens, but player know thier role.

We're already a talented team even without Buike.

Conor
07-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Yay, this is perfect. He asks for Azubuike money, so we just sign Azubuike instead!

GIANTS15
07-23-2008, 04:07 PM
hahaha pietrus the better player, that guy is a joke, did absolutly nothing for us last season except complain, i hope your happy when you need someone to step it up playoff time and pietrus steps out of bounds in the clutch moment......pietrus will never be a good nba player, he can be a decent player off the bench, but will never be anything more.
evans>pietrus

YOUR TRIPPING BRO...pietrus wil lbe a very good SG in Orlando...he will not be playing for 3 different coaches in 3 different styles of offense....you can add him too the long list of ex warrior players who didnt fullfill their expectations in GS and went on to have better success on other teams....same for Azabuike...he is gonna be a big factor in the games we play vs the Clips...

kylem4711
07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
noo. please dont match the offer to azu

GIANTS15
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
sad day ...im confused :confused: what fgn direction are we going in?? i would have thought signing Azabuike would have been priority #3 behind Ellis and Beidrins ? we could have locked up a young swingman who is still growing for the next 3 years instead we opt for a old journeyman who can play so so defense and dunk!....:eyebrow:

GIANTS15
07-23-2008, 04:15 PM

sad you actually think you have a chance with baron on your team now...who's your backup PG again? because your gonna need him to start the other 40 to 50 games Barron will be sitting out injured or just not playing in to attend Hollywood social events this year.:speechless:

*Superman*
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
evans>pietrus

I hope all that talk is coming from ignorance. He needed a fresh start from a new team and coach, he will fit well with Orlando, playing with Dwight, Hedo, Rashard, and Nelson. Also Nelson had him playing out of position at the 4, in Orlando he will be at his regular spot.

Evans is a good player and has reached his potential, and Peitrus still has to reach his, so you can't say Evans is better.

GIANTS15
07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I hope all that talk is coming from ignorance. He needed a fresh start from a new team and coach, he will fit well with Orlando, playing with Dwight, Hedo, Rashard, and Nelson. Also Nelson had him playing out of position at the 4, in Orlando he will be at his regular spot.

Evans is a good player and has reached his potential, and Peitrus still has to reach his, so you can't say Evans is better.

ya what he just said ...Pietrus must have beat you in Scrabble too huh....:D

*Superman*
07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
How good is Azubuki and what type of numbers does he post up?

*Superman*
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
ya what he just said ...Pietrus must have beat you in Scrabble too huh....:D

LOL

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
How good is Azubuki and what type of numbers does he post up?

Similar numbers to Evans, but he can drive and has a nice jumper and improving handles.

We've seen him step it up in big games and improve before our eyes, so there is a lot of talent and untapped potential if given a chance.

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Who changed the thread title? Your gonna jinx it!!!

Conor
07-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I did, because he hasn't signed yet and we don't want to misguide anyone.

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
True

garlicboy
07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
This offseason is bannanns, the draft, the BA opt out, the Brand signing, the CM signing, the summer league standouts, the Turiaf signing, Buike offersheet, Williams trade, Mo Evans yes, no maybe so, Buike yes no maybe so...

and it's not even over...

Tmac416
07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
yea tadmanny, really good call about the warriros not doing anything. a simple your right will work just fine

ULT WARRIOR408
07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Since He Wants A Few More Bucks Then We Should Just Match The Clippers Offer Sheet Then

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd rather have buike.... Evans backed out trying to get more money... WTF? We're not desperate for this guy...
Just much the clips offer. IMO, Buike has not reached his full potential and appears to be a better player then Evans..
They just went cheaper but for what?? Your saving a few more mill for a total of 3 years...
Match the clips!

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-23-2008, 07:32 PM
YOUR TRIPPING BRO...pietrus wil lbe a very good SG in Orlando...he will not be playing for 3 different coaches in 3 different styles of offense....you can add him too the long list of ex warrior players who didnt fullfill their expectations in GS and went on to have better success on other teams....same for Azabuike...he is gonna be a big factor in the games we play vs the Clips...

Your talking as if the dubs wont match the clips.... Dont speak too soon...

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-23-2008, 07:34 PM

You think Mullin can hear you?! lol... Who you begging to?

GIANTS15
07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Your talking as if the dubs wont match the clips.... Dont speak too soon...

umm we have filled 14 of the 15 roster spots with 11 of the guys under contract ...so who goes and where s your spot for azabuike now?

kylem4711
07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
sad you actually think you have a chance with baron on your team now...who's your backup PG again? because your gonna need him to start the other 40 to 50 games Barron will be sitting out injured or just not playing in to attend Hollywood social events this year.:speechless:

ha

want some cheese with that whine?

and we have gordon, hart and probably livingston.

kylem4711
07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
You think Mullin can hear you?! lol... Who you begging to?

you mean mullin can't hear me?

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
umm we have filled 14 of the 15 roster spots with 11 of the guys under contract ...so who goes and where s your spot for azabuike now?

umm... did evans sign the contract, no right.. did he back out.. possibly.. Obviously they tried signing him to compensate for the loss of buike.. but since this idiot backed out all this does is create the vacancy to be filled by Kelenna. It appears they tried to sign Evans to save a few mil instead of Buike. Hopefully they match it now...

MYWARRIORS
07-23-2008, 10:44 PM
I heard on KNBR Evans got signed.

Saltinuts40
07-24-2008, 01:57 AM

Pietrus is a bum. He is absolute trash. You are getting a scrub, and I am trying to be nice. Pietrus will frustrate the hell out of you, and he won't even be playing. He is a malcontent, he never plays hard two games in a row, and for very dunk, three point shot and block shot, there will be 10 times he steps out of bounds on a drive and 12 turnovers for bad ball handling or terrible decision making.

I'll take Maurice Evans for $6 million over Pietrus for $25 million every time. Pietrus isn't worth a nickel.

jsand3030
07-24-2008, 01:59 AM
ha

WTF? are u actually claiming Livingston, who might not even play again? Gordon, who has never played before, and and a mediocre player in hart? Typical Clippers fan.. if you only knew how desperate it sounds when those are the only players you are claiming..

danbuc0101
07-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Pietrus is a bum. He is absolute trash. You are getting a scrub, and I am trying to be nice. Pietrus will frustrate the hell out of you, and he won't even be playing. He is a malcontent, he never plays hard two games in a row, and for very dunk, three point shot and block shot, there will be 10 times he steps out of bounds on a drive and 12 turnovers for bad ball handling or terrible decision making.

I'll take Maurice Evans for $6 million over Pietrus for $25 million every time. Pietrus isn't worth a nickel.

took the words right out of my mouth, couldnt have been said any better.

Crazy Crab
07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Did somebody already post this? Did he sign or not? Mullin will not confirm...

"Mullin said no final agreement has been reached with free agent Maurice Evans and no decision has been made whether to match Kelenna Azubuikeís three-year, $9.3M offer from the Clippers (deadline is Friday); Mullin agreed that itís probably an either/or/or situation involving Evans, Azubuike or possibly another wing."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/07/23/chris-mullin-on-the-baron-inevitability-marcus-williams-and-the-ellisbiedrins-long-term-likelihood/

Saltinuts40
07-24-2008, 10:33 AM
this is pretty good news for us clipper fans.

sup ult warrior... ha

You guys are the f'in Clippers and you don't know how to win no matter how much talent you have.

Saltinuts40
07-24-2008, 10:36 AM
ha

You renounced the rights to Livingston, which means he won't be coming back.

Thatruth32
07-24-2008, 10:44 AM
damn first time i checked in since yesterday morning... i dont see any reports that he backed out but that looks like what everybody is saying...

mintfrosty
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Bakersfield?