PDA

View Full Version : Should Cleveland Trade L.James?

TheNewbster
07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok, so before people go "wtf" on me, with the understanding that Cleveland's management is really throwing away their glorious chance to do something special with King James on the roster, if the final year of James's contact came with the realization that "time's up" and that LJ was on his way out at the end of the season, shouldn't Cleveland trade him?

Granted, I'm sure people would be upset, but to be pragmatic, any team that acquires him becomes almost the guaranteed favorite to win the NBA championship, Cleveland could line up bidders probably and get a really nice deal.

jgonboricua
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
post this again in february of 09....

Jeremy5150
07-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I would trade him to the Knicks, or somewhere he wants to re-sign and get all the talent you can get.

dawgsfan_45
07-22-2008, 09:28 PM
i would trade him to the hawks for like marvin williams and a draft pick

BADizzleBoY
07-22-2008, 09:29 PM
of course.

BlondeBomber41
07-22-2008, 09:36 PM
of course.

How are the Flyers going to go 87-40 in a 82 game season?

Knicks845
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah, i understand the thread, but wtf dont they get some supporting cast around him, are they retarted, they have one of the youngest/best nba basketball player and theyre scared to take chances on a jermaine oneill or a vc/m.redd, if they dont make any moves / win ne championships he's gonna leave.

jgonboricua
07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
it would have to be something along the lines of

Derrek Rose, Loul Deng, kirk hinrich 09 first rounder and 10 conditional r=first rounder for lebron james and Delonte west

West/Hughes
Gordon/Thabo
Lebron/Nocioni
Tyrus/Gooden
Noah/Gray

instant contender

MG3
07-22-2008, 09:39 PM
If Cleveland management is smart (it's not) they'd try to get SOME sort of value for LBJ but they'll probably just let him go in '10 to the Nets

DeShaun Brown
07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Hell yeah! Trade him to the Bulls for ... I don't know, Larry Hughes and Shannon Brown.

OaklandsFinest
07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I would do my best to try and work it out so you could make a real play at Amare Stoudemire in 09. trade the pieces that take the most money while keeping a guy like Daniel Gibson or Delonte West. So that maybe you could make LeBron wanna stay. He obviously loves Ohio so just get a guy to go with him. A team of LeBron and Amare would be sick.

Master Mind
07-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Ok, so before people go "wtf" on me, with the understanding that Cleveland's management is really throwing away their glorious chance to do something special with King James on the roster, if the final year of James's contact came with the realization that "time's up" and that LJ was on his way out at the end of the season, shouldn't Cleveland trade him?

Granted, I'm sure people would be upset, but to be pragmatic, any team that acquires him becomes almost the guaranteed favorite to win the NBA championship, Cleveland could line up bidders probably and get a really nice deal.

Good question, I never thought about that...That is something to really think about for the Cavs FO...

Jibonnie125
07-22-2008, 09:57 PM
The Cav fans would go absoloutly insane if they traded Lebron away, at this point and in the next year or so they can still get him to stay, especially if they win a championship.

While it might seem smart to the orginization to trade him only if they know absoloutly 100% that he is leaving in 2 years, it still wouldnt be a very good idea.

daleja424
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM

Derrek Rose, Loul Deng, kirk hinrich 09 first rounder and 10 conditional r=first rounder for lebron james and Delonte west

West/Hughes
Gordon/Thabo
Lebron/Nocioni
Tyrus/Gooden
Noah/Gray

instant contender

contender for what??? Thats not much better then what he has in cleveland...

daleja424
07-22-2008, 10:05 PM
and no way cleveland trades lebron. If they can trade ben wallace next summer (he will be an expiring in 2010 so he could have some value) then cleveland will have a cap number around 43 mil...with like 20 mil to spend. They could add another star next to big Z, Bron, and Booby...and make a run!

WillisLovechild
07-22-2008, 10:07 PM
since nobody has said it, wtf? im jk, but they better get him some serious help or its a forgone conclusion that he is gonna bone out for Brooklyn and/or NY.

BADizzleBoY
07-22-2008, 10:07 PM
How are the Flyers going to go 87-40 in a 82 game season?

:laugh: typo. Thx much.

King Koopa
07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
i really dont care, i would be cool if he would come to miami....

GspLAL
07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Hell no you dont trade LJ, hes championship material, hes young and not in his prime yet and he led a team to the finals already.

BADizzleBoY
07-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, no trade, it would be dumb.

Sportscenterman
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I would do my best to try and work it out so you could make a real play at Amare Stoudemire in 09. trade the pieces that take the most money while keeping a guy like Daniel Gibson or Delonte West. So that maybe you could make LeBron wanna stay. He obviously loves Ohio so just get a guy to go with him. A team of LeBron and Amare would be sick.

I don't have an official quote but I know that in New York for a Team USA basketball thing he listed Akron as his third favorite city behind New York and another city with Brooklyn being his favorite borough :clap: yay nets!

JordansBulls
07-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Cleveland has to just take that risk.

QUICKTRADE
07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
trade him to lakers for kobe and pau gasol

*Superman*
07-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Thats a hard Q, but a good one. I think Cleveland takes the risk and stays with him. They won't get equal value for him IMO unless they get Kobe or something like that. LeBron is a hard person for Cleveland to make happy. It sucks for that franchise if he leaves.

They should try talking to teams that have Superstars and see what they offer though. If Lebron starts giving serious clues about leaving, they would be stupid not to trade him and get something in return.

argo
07-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Umm no. Trading away the most dominant player in the league just entering his prime wouldn't be very smart. The Cavs make more money on Lebron jerseys and TV contracts than they ever would with any number of players they could get for him. He's the new poster boy for the NBA. The Cavs will milk it for as long as they possibly can, and if they can surround him with a good supporting cast (which they haven't figured out yet), they may even win a championship in Cleveland. If they're smart, they'll get him what he needs and make him really happy so that he considers re-signing.

Jay22Redd
07-22-2008, 11:41 PM
yes, because it seem like he wants to leave anyway and if he leaves without the cavs giving him anything it would hurt the cavs alot.

king4day
07-22-2008, 11:44 PM

West/Hughes
Gordon/Thabo
Lebron/Nocioni
Tyrus/Gooden
Noah/Gray

instant contender
I actually don't like that deal for chicago.

I know LBJ is insanely good and possibly the best in the NBA, but you're giving away pieces up the wazoo in Rose and the two first rounders that could help a team, let alone Deng and Hinrich.

What Cleveland gets in return along with capspace (since another piece would likely need to be added after Deng gets his new deal) would make them instant contenders and possibly cause problems for LBJ's new team. They'd have additional capspace too with the upcoming expirings to lure in a top FA. They'd be scarier than they are now.
With that, I'd do it if I were Cleveland.

Raptors27
07-22-2008, 11:45 PM
They really need to get him some help tho. A star PF or SG would help the Cavs a lot.

king4day
07-22-2008, 11:48 PM

If the Suns were going to deal STAT to the Cavs and NOT include Gibson, they'd be dealing their next 5 first rounders.
That's a franchise breaker if u deal STAT for nothing, which is essentially what it'd be if LBJ nor Gibson aren't involved.

Either way, as a Suns fan, I wouldn't do that.
But of course if those two did play together, rings would fall from the ceiling.

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
This http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=165~990~1717~2772~2782~1966~88 5&teams=5~5~5~5~5~18~18&te=&cash=5:18 and a 2010 first rounder unprotected could work, tell me why it won't if you think no way.

kjdills13
07-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Suns get
Lebron

Caviliers get

Amare { as long as he sighns a extension which could be a problem}
Barbosa
2009 first rounder

suns new lineup

Nash/ FA/ strawberry
Bell/ tucker/ strawberry
Lebron/ grant hill/ barnes
Diaw/ skinner
shaq/ Lopez

Cubber
07-23-2008, 12:25 AM

West/Hughes
Gordon/Thabo
Lebron/Nocioni
Tyrus/Gooden
Noah/Gray

instant contender

This might be the dumbest post I've ever read. Why do everyday sports fans struggle to grasp the realities of the sports trade world? This would HAVE to be a sign and trade deal. That way LeBron gets max money, but Rose would never be included in this deal. Never.

Cubber
07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Suns get
Lebron

Caviliers get

Amare { as long as he sighns a extension which could be a problem}
Barbosa
2009 first rounder

suns new lineup

Nash/ FA/ strawberry
Bell/ tucker/ strawberry
Lebron/ grant hill/ barnes
Diaw/ skinner
shaq/ Lopez

This makes sense, but don't the Suns do whatever they can, offer the house to try to keep Amare. Can you imagine an Amare and LeBron tandem for years to come? Championship after championship.

barreleffact
07-23-2008, 03:25 AM
if you had the sexiest and richest girl on the planet would you leave her if you knew she was gonna leave you regardless???? ell na!!! you stay and keep tappin as long as you can. you do not trade the most marketable and one of the best talents in the league no matter what. unless he gets injured let him walk if he must...or trade him the very last day of the deadline. until then you keep him drawing in people and keep him fillin that stat sheet. even then id keep him until he walks...of course the smartest thing would be to do w/e u gotta do so he stays

sp1derm00
07-23-2008, 05:23 AM
I think one of the best trades Cleveland would be able to get would come from the Bulls...

LBJ + Damon Jones for Hinrich + Deng + Ben Gordon

Cleveland:
Hinrich
Gordon
Deng
Varejao
Big Z

Chicago:
Rose
Hughes
Lebron
Gooden
TT

Might seem like a lopsided deal since Cleveland comes out with a monster of a team... but LBJ brings in the money and Chicago gets LBJ and Rose for a core to build around as well as a lot of cap space to play around with.

Luring Marion over from Miami after Gooden and Nocioni are off the books would be possible... Wade, Bosh, Amare, and Tmac will all be available after Hughes comes off the books in 2 years.

Imagine:

Rose
Lebron
Marion
Bosh or Amare
TT

Seems super impossible though... haha but it was fun thinking about it.

Tom Stone
07-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Man alot of people jumping ship on lebron....the best thing to do is.... try to make a trade happen for a real point gaurd, to take the ball out of lebron's hands and run the team.....this will make it easyier for Lebron and teammates....I hate teams that play outide in...and they basically do that....So with a key trade and slight style change this team could be right there...this team already has the physical abilitys and defence...they need to up there teams IQ...So go get a point.......Peace

BTownTeamsRKing
07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
i dont think u guys realize how bad cleveland's management is.

they traded for a declining ben wallace and took his huge contract completely off the bulls hands for Larry Hughes (who may not be scottie pippen, but is damn good).

they already screwed themselves over by trading for big ben. they cant sign anyone else. at least they got a beast in the draft.

they should deal him now and get FULL VALUE. look the truth is, he doesnt wanna play there with Brooklyn waiting. why do u want this guy leading your team? trade him to NJ now for a load of young talent and expiring contracts.

travesy3
07-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I have heard numerous times LBJ say he wants to bring a championship to Cleveland, he has all his family there. He will be what, 25 when his contract expires? He will sign one more extension, if they still fail, he will be 29/30 or so, then I think he will worry about getting his ring, or at least that is what I think. His ties in Cleveland are so strong, and in 2010, maybe they can attract Wade to come play with LBJ =]

Lebron is one supporting player away from taking over the NBA. And I have heard countless times, Redd has a 50% chance of landing in Cleveland, LBJ-Z-Redd, I have that team overtaking the Celtics. LBJ is the best player on the planet, he just needs one player on his team who can create his own shot/finish plays LBJ starts in order to show he>Kobe.

Thatruth32
07-23-2008, 11:23 AM
i dig were u coming from but wont happen

pebloemer
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok, to people saying "one of the best trades they could get is from my team," I can't believe you would be so ignorant to the fact that other teams would give everything they had for LeBron. Seriously, Hinrich Deng and Gordon? I am sure Cleveland could do better.

Second, in regards to the thread, my opinion is that Cleveland has to assess it closer to the end of LeBron's contract. But since that year is such a big year of free agents (as mentioned earlier by someone else), I think the best bet they could have to try and sign another superstar to play alongside LeBron, even if it isn't until 2010 when they can do so. Cleveland will have a chance if they get people to play with LeBron, so they need ot continue trying to do so (even though it has been very unsuccessful IMO). They need to do everything they can to stay in the mix, even if it isn't until LeBron can no longer be traded.

travesy3
07-23-2008, 11:52 AM
If players like Pau Gasol are going for simply expirings, then the Cavs can get in on that with all their expirings.

Redd has a pretty bad contract, and that Bogut extension has alot of money tied into Bogut-Mo-RJ-Redd. I am hearing Redd is the odd man out. The Cavs are rumored to be taking Dan Gadzuric's bad contract as well, for Wally and Damon and a first I believe it is. I have heard that Redd will be a Cav by the latest the all star break. Although it is just a bunch of rumors, I would believe it, just based on how cheap good players are being traded as of late.

The Cavs also offered expirings for Vince Carter, but got rejected, so they are making an effort.

LA_Raiders
07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes, He needs to be traded....We all know he is leaving anyway...I'd be stupid from Cle not to trade him for 2-3 good players...

LA_Raiders
07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I have heard numerous times LBJ say he wants to bring a championship to Cleveland, he has all his family there. He will be what, 25 when his contract expires? He will sign one more extension, if they still fail, he will be 29/30 or so, then I think he will worry about getting his ring, or at least that is what I think. His ties in Cleveland are so strong, and in 2010, maybe they can attract Wade to come play with LBJ =]

Lebron is one supporting player away from taking over the NBA. And I have heard countless times, Redd has a 50% chance of landing in Cleveland, LBJ-Z-Redd, I have that team overtaking the Celtics. LBJ is the best player on the planet, he just needs one player on his team who can create his own shot/finish plays LBJ starts in order to show he>Kobe.

LOL...That was Funny...

travesy3
07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
LOL...That was Funny...

Good I hope you laughed out loud.

OaklandsFinest
07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
If the Suns were going to deal STAT to the Cavs and NOT include Gibson, they'd be dealing their next 5 first rounders.
That's a franchise breaker if u deal STAT for nothing, which is essentially what it'd be if LBJ nor Gibson aren't involved.

Either way, as a Suns fan, I wouldn't do that.
But of course if those two did play together, rings would fall from the ceiling.

Of course you wouldn't, but after this season Phoenix will have little to no say in the matter because STAT will be a free agent. While most teams will be fawning over Kobe and trying to talk him out of LA, Cleveland could make a serious push for Amare and steal him away.

OaklandsFinest
07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
If cleveland wants to stay relevant they need Lebron. He has to be on that team, and if I were them I would extend him before he even becomes a FA.