PDA

View Full Version : Sam Mitchell's last chance 08-09

Denverb2b
07-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I think BC has done everything he can for Sam Mitchell in getting quiality players and also giving him a chance to stick around even though he was a Babcock signing.

I say this is his last chance because I think BC was forced to construct our roster to what it is because of Mitchell's poor in game management due to the raptors past depth. Every game most raptor fans would wonder why he would play his bench players entire second and 4th quarters, while most teams would bring in their starters only a few minutes into those same quarters. Every raptor game by halftime we would look at a box score and see 11-12 raptors getting minutes and sometimes the entire roster being used in one game while other teams were playing 8-9 players a game with the starters getting the bulk of the minutes. Good coaches do not become consumed by the game, Sam Mitchell all to often loses touch on where he is and who is on the court.

So I think BC has sent and indirect message to Sam this season by doing away with the depth and focusing more on the starting five leaving Mitchell no other choice than to play the top five more minutes every night. Anytime a GM has to reconstruct a roster to get rid of some of his coaches weaknesses it is a sure sign that the coach is on the hot seat. So Sam Mitchell if you dont already know your a lame duck, you should.

Here is to hoping Sam suceeds and we go deep in the playoffs! If not ill be right behind BC when he gives him his walking papers, no more excuses.

mjt20mik
07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
I was so hoping the Raptors would hire JVG for head coach this upcoming season.

Fion
07-22-2008, 03:14 PM
its 2nd round apperance or an exit for sam mitchell.

argo
07-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I like Sam as a motivator/ funnyman/ "players coach"/ no ******** kind of guy, but I worry about his play calling. He's not a great x's and o's coach, which has hurt the team in big games.

Maybe this is the year he figures out the system they've been trying to build in Toronto over the past few years. Now he's got two solid post guys and good three point shooters. Will he get our moneys worth this year out of the best three point shooter in the league? - seemed like a waste of money last year.

There's a lot of questions surrounding Smitch, and I think this is the year he has to answer them - with a solid team and a few years under his belt.

travesy3
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
He is still a young coach, he has alot to learn, how long was the deal he signed? I doubt they cut him loose, although another first round exit would be frustrating to BC.

And BC hasn't done "everything" IMO, I think that the Raps were a borderline playoff team in the past, they have the largest differential between first-2nd scorer behind only LBJ and the Cavs. It's not Sam's fault only that this team isn't winning in the playoffs, BC still has alot of work to do.

T.O-Fan
07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
its to early to predict we al know we wil do well in the regular season but its the playoffs taht matters...if its first round exit then i say let him go if not then stick him around for another year

Ragun
07-22-2008, 08:18 PM
I think so too. If JO is healthy and they still dont make the playoffs, i expect him to be fired.

The Wise 1
07-22-2008, 08:46 PM
He is still a young coach, he has alot to learn.

The thing that bothers me the most is the fact that he hasnt improved his x's and o's since he became a head coach. He might have improved how to deal with players but his in game decisions are awful.

travesy3
07-23-2008, 12:30 AM
He is a great leader, he always has been, one of his problems IMO, is his inability to establish a solid rotation. You can't run a good team with playing "who is hot gets the minutes". You need a consistent rotation, something he didn't have, I also think Humph should be getting more run in the upcoming season.

He has alot to learn but this is also his first head coaching gig so he still has a ways to go. I can see it, he is a very good leader nonetheless, he demands the respect, I only hope he can do to Bargnani what he did with Bosh.

Fion
07-23-2008, 02:06 AM
i think even a first round exit wont do. I really think if sam wants his job the raps will need to make it to the 2nd round.

rosco
07-23-2008, 07:56 AM
This is a second Round Team for sure no more excuses about not having talent on this team to succed. This is a Do or Die year 4 Mitchell, if things don't happen, see u later no hard feelings, then bring in Avery Johnson.....

hades
07-23-2008, 10:09 AM
yep. i think it is coach sams last chance.
who would you like to succeed smitch?

i like Paul Silas.