PDA

View Full Version : marcus williams to the warriors for 1st round pick

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=6246

Quote:
The Nets will announce Tuesday that they have traded Marcus Williams to the Warriors for Golden State’s first round draft pick in 2011, with lottery protection. Williams, despite the Keyon Dooling acquisition, still believed he had a role on the Nets.

i just saw this was posted in the nba forum.... so i just pasted it here

FNM BOY
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
good pick up for you guys..he is very underrated and full of potential!

Kdirt
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
The Nets will announce Tuesday that they have traded Marcus Williams to the Warriors for Golden State’s first round draft pick in 2011, with lottery protection. Williams, despite the Keyon Dooling acquisition, still believed he had a role on the Nets. The move leaves 15 contracts, not including Keith Van Horn or Nenad Krstic, on the books for 2008-09.

http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=6246
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess we figure it will be a late first rounder in 2011. Somewhat iffy, but with lottery protection I guess its a descent price tag.

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 01:11 PM
yea i dont remember to much about him but i do remember he was a lefty and was going to replace kidd... in nj thats i remember he was more of a true PG i wonder if we are going to go small and have like williams and monta on the floor along with jack and correy or if monta is going to run point and williams be tha back up

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 01:18 PM
here is the link to his stats

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3039

he didnt do to much... for a 1st round pick 2 years ago.. maybe he didnt fit in that system im not sure but for a 1st round pick i hope it works out

THA FUNNY THING IS HE IS FROM LA... SO WE LOST A LA PG AND GOT A NEW ONE LOL

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=437041

1st round pick for an unproven back-up PG??? Reading the Nets fourm, the guy plays no defense and he's not very athletic.

I don't know, I think they should have just signed Carlos Arroyo.

If you don't know 2011 is the year the NBA can lift the ban on high schoolers coming to the NBA, so it should be a deep draft class. Bad move by Mullin just for this sole reason. On the other hand, it signifies the Dubs are going to make some major moves in 2009 or 2010. You don't sacrifice a future 1st round pick unless you have no doubt you will be good.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Why the heck is Mullin signing all these Lefties?

By the way, I don't think the Dubs are viewing Marcus Williams as a starter, but as more of a solid back-up.

I guess I should be happy, because he is a TRUE PG and has proven it more-so than Crittenton and has played in huge games at UCONN. He'll be better in Golden State with the up-temp style and the talent that is surrounding him.

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Why the heck is Mullin signing all these Lefties?

By the way, I don't think the Dubs are viewing Marcus Williams as a starter, but as more of a solid back-up.

I guess I should be happy, because he is a TRUE PG and has proven it more-so than Crittenton and has played in huge games at UCONN. He'll be better in Golden State with the up-temp style and the talent that is surrounding him.

thats what i was thinking he is a tru pg and has been proven with this big games at uconn... damn what is with all the lefties we get some of tax break or something geesh lol

FNM BOY
07-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah he just needs a chance...u can't judge a player because he didn't do well in a system..he needs a chance!

Padres Son
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I think Marcus is going to be very good in GS. Good trade.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 01:35 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think that we got could've traded a 2nd rounder. Camby goes for a flip flop of picks in the 2nd. The 11th pick of the draft that same year Cedric Simmons got traded for a 2nd rounder.

YOU DON'T TRADE A 1ST ROUND PICK FOR AN UNPROVEN AT BEST BACK-UP PG!!! Especially when your negotiating from a position of power and you got the leverage as New Jersey has to trade someone because they have to many players on their roster.

It's not that I don't think Marcus can thrive in G-state, but we had the leverage. They we're over the roster limit and I'm sure we could've received Lowry or Crittenton for a future 1st as well. I guess the Warriors brass liked Marcus better. I guess it's a crap shoot, but I may have taken Lowry over Marcus becasue of his defense and ability to really push the rock.

dubs9erA's
07-22-2008, 01:43 PM
i dont know much about williams but he was a 1st round pick so he has to have talent ,we got plenty of young players so we really dont need the pick and its atleast 2 years away.plus its protected so i think we got nothing to lose.i just hope we can still sign buike or did williams take his money.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 01:46 PM
2011 should be a deep draft class though. That's when the League can once again allow high schoolers to jump to the NBA, and with Brandon Jennings playing in Europe and the drop of the US dollar, this rule cannot be changed fast enough.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 02:06 PM
This trade would have been much more palatable if we did Perovic and a 1st rounder for Josh Boone and Marcus Williams. The Nets are still over the limit roster wise. Perovic would have more than likely stayed in Europe, saving the Nets money and they still would have received a 1st for clearing 2 roster spots. I don't think the world of Josh Boone, but he a young player who is better than Perovic and has a nice cheap contract for the next 3 years.

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 02:12 PM
we played each other yesterday in summer league i bet thats when this was worked out...

Conor
07-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I really like this addition. Sure, we may have given up too much, but time will only tell for that. It may be another 4 years before the Nets actually get our pick. Williams is a distributor, which is perfect since we have no shortage for scorers, and he has a low salary which means we could still match the offer for Azubuike.

Shieldsz
07-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Meh you gave up alot but the kid has potential. Give him a shot and he could be a great player off the bench. He will fit your style of play too. Now you dont have to get lou williams ( thank god :) ) and match azuibuike.

KnickVeteran
07-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Nice pick up Golden State. I'm impressed. Marcus Williams is a very nice player. Keep those lab tops away from him though lol I love his game. He's able to create with the basketball and get guys the ball at open spots. I love his game. Too bad the knicks didn't drafted him when they had the chance. We draft Balkman ugghh. To be honest with you guys, you didn't sign Corey 10 mill a year to sit on the bench, watch Golden State deal Stephen Jackson.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Stephen Jackson is going no where!!! He's the 3rd best ballhanlder and creator behind Williams and Monta.

Jacks playing 2 and Maggette the 3 according to Don Nelson.

We're going to play out the year and wait for Al to opt out next summer, or trade him at the deadline.

Tmac416
07-22-2008, 03:02 PM
this is very solid pick up for us. gairlc boy give it a rest witht with the camby talk.it has nothing to do with us. Dont try to project the draft two years from now.just cuz it makes in your head doesnt mean thats is reality. The nets would not have done a frirst roudner for boone and williams, thats not a good deal for them. willams was worth a first round pick in 2011. there not gonna change the rule. if anything there gonna make it two years you have to stay. but thats not even important to worry about right now. your comepletly overreacting to this deal. the only reason why he fell in the first round was becuase of when he stole the computer when he was a freshamn. he very athletic and is gonna be a great pg to play with monta and he is pure pg. You cant jsut look at his stats and tell how he runs a team. he isnt going to start but its very nice pick up for us.

mcmjy
http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/marcuswilliams.html

I like this trade because I remember him coming out of UConn being a very talented player and highly touted player, he just fell on draft night for whatever reason. Check the profile review comparison (Deron Williams). I agree with people that he probably didn't get the opportunities to play and show how good he can be.

Happy we didn't give up a top 10 draft pick as well.

Giants-49ers-Ws
Okay Marcus Williams fine but for a future first round pick?? Come on Mullin thats rediculous!...we could of had sebastian telfair or shaun livingston for a chunk of change

djeller1139
07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Would have been better to clear the cap and trade Al for Crittenton/Lowry/Conley..

cali72888
07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
first of all garlic, jackson is the fourth best ball handler behind monte, maggette, and randolph.
now is the time to trade jackson, he is at his peak and is coming off a career year. we can package jackson to get a ledgit pf, and replace jacksons scoring with maggettes scoring.
maggette is pretty much the same as jackson but with weaker defence.
maggette shoots better then jackson from the field and from 3 points, and he has better shot selection then jackson.
he goes to the free throw more then jackson ans drives to the hoop alot better then jackson.
the only difference if jackson can defend better then maggette, but i think maggette has the tools to be a good defender, and if asked to do so i think he can defend to the caliber jackson has.
we should trade jackson, his value is at a peak and we could get alot for him.
knowing nelson and mullin, we are very likley to pull off a big trade before the season starts.

J.U.I.C.E.
07-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I wonder if this means they will match for Buike..

Tmac416
07-22-2008, 03:30 PM
it doesnt efect bukie, willaims isnt making much. the pick cant even be used for two years, even then it is lotory protected for three years, after that if they still dont get the pick, they they jsut get 2 second roudners. how is that giving up to much? if we really want a first round pick on of those years then we can easily get one. its on that hard to get a first round pick outside the lottery. seriously, we didnt give up much at all and got a great young pure pg thats only going to coninue to develop.

GiantsNinersW's
07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
This is a great pick up

A 22 year old true point with handles, can hit the 3, AND has loads of untapped potential??

Ya gotta love it!

GiantsNinersW's
07-22-2008, 03:41 PM
To top it off, he got to watch and learn from one of the best point guards in the last decade

Kdirt
07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Dont forget Williams was a projected top 10 pick when he was drafted. Obviously he hasnt panned out, but you all are not smarter than the Warriors front office. They know what they are doing, excellent pickup.

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 03:50 PM
im just waiting to hear from mullin and nellie to see how we are going to use him... i just cant see us giving up a first round pick to get him and plan for him to ride the bench..

But if thats the case that would mean marcus.. monta jackson and corey at 3/4 and andris at 5... i just dont see us with this line up.. so im not sure whats going to happen

danbuc0101
07-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Why are u guys complaining about this, we had not one tru PG on our team, not one. And calm down with the *****ing about the 1st round drafty pick, its 2008 and who knos where we will be as a team in 2011. So until u call this trade bad i jus let it play out a little. They know wat they doing jus let them do ther job and stop *****ing at every single move they make. They obviously didnt sign arroyo for a reason and maybe it because he sucks.

Kdirt
07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
im just waiting to hear from mullin and nellie to see how we are going to use him... i just cant see us giving up a first round pick to get him and plan for him to ride the bench..

But if thats the case that would mean marcus.. monta jackson and corey at 3/4 and andris at 5... i just dont see us with this line up.. so im not sure whats going to happen

The offseason is still very young,I wouldnt be surprised to see us make another bold move with this likely being Nellie's last year.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
this is very solid pick up for us. gairlc boy give it a rest witht with the camby talk.it has nothing to do with us. Dont try to project the draft two years from now.just cuz it makes in your head doesnt mean thats is reality. The nets would not have done a frirst roudner for boone and williams, thats not a good deal for them. willams was worth a first round pick in 2011. there not gonna change the rule. if anything there gonna make it two years you have to stay. but thats not even important to worry about right now. your comepletly overreacting to this deal. the only reason why he fell in the first round was becuase of when he stole the computer when he was a freshamn. he very athletic and is gonna be a great pg to play with monta and he is pure pg. You cant jsut look at his stats and tell how he runs a team. he isnt going to start but its very nice pick up for us.

Tmac,
Projecting the draft? Once again, I'm just stating facts that in 2011 the rule of high about high schoolers entering the draft will be up for discussion. Brandon Jennings a top 3 high school talent is going to play in Europe. Thus I said 2011 can be a very deep draft class with the rule getting repealed. I can go on but I'll just put up his stats so you can tell me how he runs a team.

5.9 pts, 2.6 assists and 38% from the field. Yeah he looks great!!! He's another project, when we need a proven player.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_williams/index.html

1st round pick for an unproven player is WAY TOO MUCH.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Okay Marcus Williams fine but for a future first round pick?? Come on Mullin thats rediculous!...we could of had sebastian telfair or shaun livingston for a chunk of change

My sentiments exactly.

danbuc0101
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Tmac,
Projecting the draft? Once again, I'm just stating facts that in 2011 the rule of high about high schoolers entering the draft will be up for discussion. Brandon Jennings a top 3 high school talent is going to play in Europe. Thus I said 2011 can be a very deep draft class with the rule getting repealed. I can go on but I'll just put up his stats so you can tell me how he runs a team.

5.9 pts, 2.6 assists and 38% from the field. Yeah he looks great!!! He's another project, when we need a proven player.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_williams/index.html

1st round pick for an unproven player is WAY TOO MUCH.

once again stop ur *****ing! They know way more about the game and way more about how to run a front office then u do so stop complaining until it doesnt turn out. Ther is no reason for u to complain about everything they do. Carlos arroyo is not a proven backup, he blows.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 04:08 PM
once again stop ur *****ing! They know way more about the game and way more about how to run a front office then u do so stop complaining until it doesnt turn out. Ther is no reason for u to complain about everything they do. Carlos arroyo is not a proven backup, he blows.

I went to schol in Jersey Fool! 20 minutes away from the IZOD arena and tickets were cheap. I wish I could say I watched him play, but he rode the pine!!!

Name me any unproven 3rd year player who was traded for a 1st round pick.

I'm not blinded from sipping the Kool Aid.

noturnormalhero
07-22-2008, 04:14 PM
good pick up player wise to serve as a backup for ellis but DAMN..a first round pick!? dont know about that. hope he turns out well for you guys cuz damn. a 1st rounder for a backup lol..still cant believe it

warriors4life
07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
i'm both ways on this trade. I like marcus williams and think he will turn out to be decent. But i am not pleased with mullin giving up a 1st rounder like many of you are saying. this is ridiculous. if the clippers can give up a second rounder for marucs camby(a legitamate big man), then i would expect mullin to be smart and offer up a second rounder.

gswhoops040
07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
The pick the Warriors will send to the Nets is lottery protected for 2011, 2012 and 2013. If the Nets don't receive a pick by 2013, New Jersey would get second-round picks in both 2013 and 2015, the article says.

i hope we are not rebuilding til 2013

danbuc0101
07-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I went to schol in Jersey Fool! 20 minutes away from the IZOD arena and tickets were cheap. I wish I could say I watched him play, but he rode the pine!!!

Name me any unproven 3rd year player who was traded for a 1st round pick.

I'm not blinded from sipping the Kool Aid.

Thats because one of the greatest PG's ever was playing instead! Who cares if u lived in jersey ur not a scout nor do u have any. I think this is a good pick up our team is young enough and if its a lottery pick then its still ours. Its not bad at all ur just making it seem bad cause u think ur like a proven GM or something but know ur just a fan and thats all.

BaySportsOnly
07-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Let's keep in mind, either the Nets will get a mid-to-late first round pick or they wont get anything. Not a bad trade in my book. I think Marcus Williams can be quite a player in the league. He was injured last year and didn't get much run behind Jason Kidd and Devin Harris. But his rookie year was promising. He averaged like 7/3/2 in 16 mpg. Not bad for a rookie pg.

I do have to disagree with those saying he's proven in big games. If you'll think back to his last year at UCONN, he almost blew the game for the Huskies with a horrible pass in the last minute that let Washington force overtime.

That said, nice pickup. Carlos Arroyo is weak. And I like Williams' size too. He's bigger than Monta, 6'3 205. Just another versatile player and a good passer to throw into the mix. I wonder what happens to C.J. now, cuz I like his offensive game too.

danbuc0101
07-22-2008, 04:37 PM
^^^^^This guy knows wat im talkin about.^^^^^

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Let's keep in mind, either the Nets will get a mid-to-late first round pick or they wont get anything. Not a bad trade in my book. I think Marcus Williams can be quite a player in the league. He was injured last year and didn't get much run behind Jason Kidd and Devin Harris. But his rookie year was promising. He averaged like 7/3/2 in 16 mpg. Not bad for a rookie pg.

I do have to disagree with those saying he's proven in big games. If you'll think back to his last year at UCONN, he almost blew the game for the Huskies with a horrible pass in the last minute that let Washington force overtime.

That said, nice pickup. Carlos Arroyo is weak. And I like Williams' size too. He's bigger than Monta, 6'3 205. Just another versatile player and a good passer to throw into the mix. I wonder what happens to C.J. now, cuz I like his offensive game too.

I dont see cj making the team as a 3rd stringer... we have jack randloph marco.. as 3 more players who are not pgs that can still handle the ball and help out monta and marcus...

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 04:51 PM
peep these 2 quick highlights from marcus

http://youtube.com/watch?v=36X4w-s2HLU&feature=related
man that was a sick pass....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bVe24XOnnpI
shook steph

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
good pick up player wise to serve as a backup for ellis but DAMN..a first round pick!? dont know about that. hope he turns out well for you guys cuz damn. a 1st rounder for a backup lol..still cant believe it

Here's an objective opinion from a non-warrior fan. Many say that Williams was a pick-up, including me, but for a 1st round pick? That's what many people, myself included believe.

Instead of throwing insults, maybe you should support your argument as to why Marcus Williams was worth a 1st rounder.

Crazy Crab
07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
The first round pick trade:

"The pick the Warriors will send to the Nets is lottery protected for 2011, 2012 and 2013. If the Nets don't receive a pick by 2013, New Jersey would get second-round picks in both 2013 and 2015."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_9959048?source=rss

FC_4_life
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
I wonder if this means they will match for Buike..

No, we will sign Maurice Evans instead...

Kdirt
07-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Here's an objective opinion from a non-warrior fan. Many say that Williams was a pick-up, including me, but for a 1st round pick? That's what many people, myself included believe.

Instead of throwing insults, maybe you should support your argument as to why Marcus Williams was worth a 1st rounder.

I believe he is worth the first round price tag for the following reasons:

1. The Nets will receive no better than the #15 pick at earliest 2011.
2. Our young talent will be developed by 2011 and we should be a contender. Therefore, we will likely not be dependent on a late pick.
3. Marcus Williams was a projected top ten pick in 2006, never saw consistent minutes behind Kidd, the Nets were contending and wouldnt give the reigns to Williams.
4. Williams is only due to make a little over a million this coming year which still gives us cap space for any other potential moves.
5. The Warriors draft better players in the 2nd round anyway. Gilbert & Monta

lincecum=future
07-22-2008, 05:13 PM
I have no problem with this at all. The pick is in 3 years and lottery protected. Its a risk but and can come back to bite us in the *** but who knows maybe Wiliams will thrive in our system. Besides most late first rounders don't pan out and its better than selling our draft picks like all those other teams to Portland.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Now That They Made This Trade It Would Make No Sense To Go After Lou Williams

smearthebeard
07-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Utah just signed CJ Miles for almost 4Mill per? Now thats nuts!

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 05:40 PM

2. Our young talent will be developed by 2011 and we should be a contender. Therefore, we will likely not be dependent on a late pick.
3. Marcus Williams was a projected top ten pick in 2006, never saw consistent minutes behind Kidd, the Nets were contending and wouldnt give the reigns to Williams.
4. Williams is only due to make a little over a million this coming year which still gives us cap space for any other potential moves.

:clap: dont think i could have said it better

Jimmy3702
07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I like the trade. He has great potential and could end up becoming a very good PG.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I have no problem with this at all. The pick is in 3 years and lottery protected. Its a risk but and can come back to bite us in the *** but who knows maybe Wiliams will thrive in our system. Besides most late first rounders don't pan out and its better than selling our draft picks like all those other teams to Portland.

Yeah,
At leat our owner doesn't sell our picks. We gave a bit much for Williams, but we have the Ace up our sleeve.

Don Nelson knows a PG when he sees one.

I can still recall Williams in the tourney tearing up teams with his decision making, vision and passing. This is a perfect spot for him. Marcus also played with an undersized 2 in Ben Gordon at UCONN. I think Marcus will have a break out year driving and kicking to Maggette, Belinelli and throwing alley oops to Randolph and Wright.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Kdirt,
Solid as usual. I agree in 2011, I can picture us have 3 scorers in Randolph, Maggette and Monta, along with Biedrins doing his double,double in the middle and Wright blocking shots and running the floor. I think you could have also mentioned that the Spurs, Mavs, Rockets, Suns and Nuggets will all have aging stars, gone or decrepid. I actually think that we'd could've offered them a 2010 pick, as I think we'll be a very good team in 2009-2010, with an added year of playing together.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Once Again Don Nelson Is Working His Magic But Of Course Mullin Will Get All The Credit

SmeartheBeard2
07-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Great pick up!!! We gave up in essense nothing for what was 2006's NO.1. pure point guard. Please read up on this guy. Plus he is not undersized. He can hold his own against bigger point guards and thrives in a transition game. Plus NJ has been pathetic and I will not judge a player by what he did on that garbage team. Especially since he never got a chance behind Kidd and Harris the last 2 years. His stats per minute are actually very good. Good goin Mullie!

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Call me crazy, but Williams has a good shot of being the Most Improved player next year if he gets the minutes, because he has fallen into the perfect position.

I trust Nellie, and I really liked Williams play when he was at UCONN. Smooth, calm, collected and makes all the right decisions. That's something you can't teach. I'd rather have him over Lowry or Crittenton.

SmeartheBeard2
07-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Call me crazy, but Williams has a good shot of being the Most Improved player next year if he gets the minutes, because he has fallen into the perfect position.

I trust Nellie, and I really liked Williams play when he was at UCONN. Smooth, calm, collected and makes all the right decisions. That's something you can't teach. I'd rather have him over Lowry or Crittenton.

Great Insight Mr Fry! I agree!

tadmanny
07-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I agree with you Garlic. By the way, r u from hollister?-it would make sense with the name...Anyways, now I have a feeling we're going after an established big man. I could see us trading Al or Stephen for someone like Okafor. I would do that in a second. We need to focus on getting a big guy or we'll end up being f$%#%d like the last 2 years. Big men run the league and when u have a great rebounder like okafor out there, you take a shot. especially since he wants a sign and trade.

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I agree with you Garlic. By the way, r u from hollister?-it would make sense with the name...Anyways, now I have a feeling we're going after an established big man. I could see us trading Al or Stephen for someone like Okafor. I would do that in a second. We need to focus on getting a big guy or we'll end up being f$%#%d like the last 2 years. Big men run the league and when u have a great rebounder like okafor out there, you take a shot. especially since he wants a sign and trade.

It's Gilroy brother. Garlic festival next week. But I'm not going. It's alright. Expensive and hot.

In regards to Okafor, I'd rather not. Turiaf may be able to come close to what Okafor brings, shot-blocking and rebounding. Plus Okafor has had consistent back problems throughout his career. I'd stay away from him.

Giants4Tniners
07-22-2008, 06:15 PM

WTF? weren't you just complaining about this deal? I dont mean it as an insult but I just happened to read the whole thread and you had quite a few posts that were negative on it, and your last 2 posts seem to be for it.

R.Miller
07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
wow, im suprised we got wiliams. Great trade i think, williams is very good pg. :clap::clap:

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 06:19 PM
WTF? weren't you just complaining about this deal? I dont mean it as an insult but I just happened to read the whole thread and you had quite a few posts that were negative on it, and your last 2 posts seem to be for it.

Seperate:
1.) the trade
2.) the player

1.) The trade in terms of bargaining and leverage, the Warriors had it
a.) New Jersey has 17 signed players, limit is 15
b.) Other PG's were available, Lowry, Crittenton, Free agents, etc

2.) Marcus Williams was one of my favorite players in college.

I like the player but that doesn't mean you overpay for a player whose stock is down. It's just simple business practice to me.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Tadmady Or What Ever Your Name Is I Agree With Most Of What You Said But Aint Noway In Hell We Gonna Trade Stephen Jackson He's A Main Stay

OneOpportunity
07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Love the trade. Yes we gave up a future first but it wont be a lottery pick. By 2011-2013 we will be serious contenders and the West will be no where near as tough as it is right now. Not to mention the fact that Marcus Williams should have been a top 10 pick but fell due to character/work ethic concerns. The talent is there and he is a pure point guard. The guy can pass with the best of them and hasnt been given a true chance. A broken foot kept him out some last year but thats not much to worry about. Also his numbers would be A LOT better if anyone on the Nets could actually shoot the ball. I mean between Kidd and Jefferson and the rest of the Nets roster, think of how many assists he missed out on that he should have had. He was basically a 6 pt, 2 rb, 3 assist in only 16 mins a game last year. combine those numbers with the fact that he would have had more assists if he had some decent shooters on a team and he is probabl at at least 3.5-4 assists a game. Thos are pretty solid numbers for a 2nd year PG. He will never be a great shooter (although he is good behind the ark) but he has the potential to be a very good pure point guard.

Conor
07-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Best case scenario: Williams becomes an Andre Miller type but with more shooting ability, and gives us a true PG to run our offense for the next decade.

Worst case scenario: We have a good enough backup PG to take pressure off Monta and run the offense for 15-20 minutes a game.

For that reason, I love it.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-22-2008, 06:34 PM
He Went To Uconn Wright

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 06:36 PM

damn a full 360 earlier you didnt like the move now you think he could be most improved player?..... either way i hope u rite he does fit in our system

Conor
07-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes he did, stole him some laptops while in attendance.

jsand3030
07-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Seperate:
1.) the trade
2.) the player

1.) The trade in terms of bargaining and leverage, the Warriors had it
a.) New Jersey has 17 signed players, limit is 15
b.) Other PG's were available, Lowry, Crittenton, Free agents, etc

2.) Marcus Williams was one of my favorite players in college.

I like the player but that doesn't mean you overpay for a player whose stock is down. It's just simple business practice to me.

The Warriors didnt overpay.. If the warriors are horrible next year they get to keep their 1st rounder.. if they are in the lottery the next year, they keep that... And if they get their two 1st picks the next 2 years, the Nets get 2nd round picks three years from now.. If we do well, we wouldn't be picking until later on in the round anyways... Williams, could turn out really good and be the equivalent of a 1st rounder..

garlicboy
07-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Best case scenario: Williams becomes an Andre Miller type but with more shooting ability, and gives us a true PG to run our offense for the next decade.

Worst case scenario: We have a good enough backup PG to take pressure off Monta and run the offense for 15-20 minutes a game.

Worst case scenario he gets cut mid-season.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
We will see how this trade ends up after this year. IMO it should've been a second rounder for this guy. He did not do much with the nets...

IMO, looks as if the nets stole the 1st round pick from us.... I hope im proven wrong... The system we play could benefit him... I HOPE!

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
lmao o damn i remember about someone stealing laptops lmao i didnt know it was him... what kinda was tha story behind it again short version?

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-22-2008, 07:23 PM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_9959048

"Additionally, the 6-foot-3 guard averaged 11.7 points and 4.6 assists in 17 outings last season when logging at least 20 minutes."

decent numbers, better!

saucy1
07-22-2008, 07:45 PM
i remember he led college in steals one year of course it was labtops should fit in nicely in oakland:clap:

Webelievegs!
07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
i remember he led college in steals one year of course it was labtops should fit in nicely in oakland:clap:

I think you mean laptops :clap:

Webelievegs!
07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
double post

Lincoln Logs
07-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Part of me wishes we had gotten a proven PG instead of another young player. We need someone we know, not hope, will competently run the GS offense if Monta can't or needs a rest. But then again, he should have been a top 10 pick, is a pure PG, hasn't had much time to prove himself, and has all the tools to be very good. Plus, he's another young player that can grow with our young core.

True we should have just been able to give up a 2nd round pick, as we indeed did have the leverage, but overall I'm fine with the trade. At worst we're giving up the 15th pick, but by that time the Warriors should also be much better as well, and Williams has the skills to be completely worth it.

saucy1
07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
thanks spell check :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:: dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::d ance:

jetsfan28
07-22-2008, 08:41 PM

I say he'll be somewhere closer to the best case scenario (not quite Andre Miller, but a good starter)

ULT WARRIOR408
07-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey Mr.jets Fan Your Over Looking One Small Fact He's Not Gonna Start!!!!!!!!

Conor
07-22-2008, 09:03 PM
This year he probably won't, but there's a good chance he will at some point in his career with the Warriors. We're talking about best case scenario longterm.

GLobo
07-23-2008, 12:10 AM
williams can be a very good point given some time...it's also a lottery protected first or 2 seconds

danbuc0101
07-23-2008, 02:39 AM
he averaged 11.7 points and 4.6 assists in 17 outings last season when logging at least 20 minutes. So i am a pretty confident that if he puts up big minutes off the bench he will really become a big asset to the team.

Saltinuts40
07-23-2008, 05:33 AM
it doesnt efect bukie, willaims isnt making much. the pick cant even be used for two years, even then it is lotory protected for three years, after that if they still dont get the pick, they they jsut get 2 second roudners. how is that giving up to much? if we really want a first round pick on of those years then we can easily get one. its on that hard to get a first round pick outside the lottery. seriously, we didnt give up much at all and got a great young pure pg thats only going to coninue to develop.

This is a great pick up

A 22 year old true point with handles, can hit the 3, AND has loads of untapped potential??

Ya gotta love it!

Dont forget Williams was a projected top 10 pick when he was drafted. Obviously he hasnt panned out, but you all are not smarter than the Warriors front office. They know what they are doing, excellent pickup.

Marcus Williams is the perfect fit for our team. He is 22, meaning he is the perfect age to grow with Ellis, Biedrins, Bellinelli, Randolph, Wright, and Turiaf.