PDA

View Full Version : Question About Europe and Free Agency

vikingfan88
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
So after reading that Childress and others are interested in these European teams, this question popped into my head and I was wondering if anyone knew the answer. So since Childress is a restricted free agent, which means the hawks can match any offer by another NBA team, if he goes and plays in europe for a year or two, will he still be a restricted free agent if he tries to come back to the NBA. Do the hawks have the option of still matching any offer if he wants to join the NBA again or is he an unrestricted free agent. Europe might become a good place for a lot of these semi-star type players to become unrestricted free agents, so that they are free to sign wherever they want after coming back in a year. Since clearly nobody is trying to sign any of these restricted free agents like Gordon, Deng, Okafor, Smith among others because they know their teams will just sign them back.

NYstateofMinD
07-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Wow imagine a guy like Josh Smith playing overseas....nobody would have the athleticism there to slow him down.

travesy3
07-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't think they can match it, that is the only leverage Childress has right now because how little interest other teams are expressing.

That is what I am led to believe, although I am not 100% sure.

njnets
07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
if he signed overseas and came back, i think he remains with the hawks as a RFA. read that somewhere but cant find the source. or maybe someone posted it idk.

Raptors27
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
^^ I think it's like that because if Delfino wants to come back to us later on he can or we can sign and trade him.

Hellcrooner
07-22-2008, 03:33 PM
i think theres a two year wait, then they lose the right to match.

Restricted Fa should be removed form teh league, it turns Players into slaves.