PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Williams to Golden State for 1st round pick in 2011

JordansBulls
07-22-2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=6246

The Nets will announce Tuesday that they have traded Marcus Williams to the Warriors for Golden State’s first round draft pick in 2011, with lottery protection. Williams, despite the Keyon Dooling acquisition, still believed he had a role on the Nets.

MiamiHeat
07-22-2008, 12:50 PM
no!!!, i would of love to see him in a heat jersey

Rockets Fanatic
07-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Great trade for NJ, iffy for GSW

Canucklehead
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
The Nets are making moves to rebuild nicely.

phlp_bj
07-22-2008, 01:03 PM
ya i love wat the nets have done:

jianlian,simmons,lopez,CDR,najara,hayes,etc

NYstateofMinD
07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Wow I hate this trade, they should have done it for thier 09 pick because they were gonna be a terrible team this year....by 2011 I expect them to be a pretty good team.

MassoDio
07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I think the trade works nicely for both teams. Marcus will provide some good back up play at the point for GS. THe Nets just get another draft pick to continue to rebuild.

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
as a warrior fan i like it by 11 we should be good and its lottery protected so im happy

njnets
07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
the pick is lottery protected is 2011, 1-11 in 2012, 1-20 2013 then unprotected i think. idk why they didnt get a earlier pick. anyways, i liked marcus on the nets but i guess we say goodbye. is marcus going to start on the warriors and move monta to the 2?

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
the pick is lottery protected is 2011, 1-11 in 2012, 1-20 2013 then unprotected i think. idk why they didnt get a earlier pick. anyways, i liked marcus on the nets but i guess we say goodbye. is marcus going to start on the warriors and move monta to the 2?

thats the exact same thing im asking myself

Raptors27
07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I think Marcus Williams can start on the Warriors and have Monta play the 2.

DQL
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM

yeah that's a solid backcourt that could be together for the next 10 years

Raptors27
07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Marcus Williams has a lot of potential. I think he might win most inproved player if they start him abd give him consistant minutes.

bryan_22221
07-22-2008, 01:38 PM

I read about the Warriors all the time being a die hard fan and all, Williams will not be starting, Nelson and Mullin are dead set on having Monta Ellis starting at PG, with Williams now being the backup. We also have CJ Watson most likely being the number 3 PG, which leaves us with Demarcus Nelson either being waived or playing for our D-League team. Stephen Jackson or Maggette will play the 2 and the 3. I think its a good deal for the dubs, Williams just needs to work on his maturity a little bit along with his PG skills then I think he will be a solid back up for sure and maybe eventually having him be the starter and Monta moving back to the 2. I could see this happening by the middle of the season. Monta is too good of a scorer to be playing point.

DirtyThirty
07-22-2008, 01:41 PM
he can play

KB24PG16
07-22-2008, 01:47 PM
knew this going to happen after they got dooling but i dont that he worth a 1st round pick gs gave to much

BALLER71
07-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Damn, I wanted him in the Heat.

RapsFan4Life
07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
i would have liked to see bryan calangelo pick up marcus, we could use depth at the guard and he is a good kid with some nice skills that still need development but jason kidd has trained him well.. he also has a good toughness factor .. i think he is worth the first round pick .. great potential in this young guard

Ragun
07-22-2008, 01:49 PM
great trade for the warriors.

Incublime24
07-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I read about the Warriors all the time being a die hard fan and all, Williams will not be starting, Nelson and Mullin are dead set on having Monta Ellis starting at PG, with Williams now being the backup. We also have CJ Watson most likely being the number 3 PG, which leaves us with Demarcus Nelson either being waived or playing for our D-League team. Stephen Jackson or Maggette will play the 2 and the 3. I think its a good deal for the dubs, Williams just needs to work on his maturity a little bit along with his PG skills then I think he will be a solid back up for sure and maybe eventually having him be the starter and Monta moving back to the 2. I could see this happening by the middle of the season. Monta is too good of a scorer to be playing point.

i watch the warriors too, and while i kind of agree with you, i can see marcus williams eventually becoming the starting pg this season, if not right away. monta ellis is amazing at the 2 and can give you a lot of points, there is no reason to make him run the point when we already saw that he is better at the 2 spot. also, i dont think they would trade a 1st rd pick for a backup. i think they have higher hopes for marcus williams than you do...we'll see tho...

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Great trade for NJ, iffy for GSW

Where's that logic comming from? The pick is protected for 2011 not next year.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
With losing Baron Davis, they had to give someone a chance. No offense, but Monta Ellis is not a pure point. Infact he's an undersized two. He's great in what he did last year. Change of pace guard who can run and score. Williams does some good things and is young. Could have worse options.

J-N-M-ETS4LYF
07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Congrats to the warriors... They got themselves a really young pG.. who will be a quality Nba player one day.. I'm a nets fan and I can tell you guys that Marcus has been slept on his whole career.. We got a gift by being able to draft him at #21.. He was suppose to be one of the best PG's in that draft.. and He didnt dissapoint.. When he got the chance he played really really wel.. He started a couple of games last year for us after we traded kidd and harris was hurt.. and he put up liek 17 ppg. 9 ast numbers.. HE HAS TO START>. and will START... like some1 said up there GS would not use a 1st rounder on a back up.. And Monta is a scorer flat out scorer.. cant move him from 2.... VERy good pick up for Gs... They Kid can shot the heck out of the ball... and plays well in a run and gun system.. J-Kidd called him a better natural passer than he was when he first came up... Hes going to be a 17 point 10 ast guy ... and u guys might not have to wait long.. I think hes really ready to Be that 17pts 10 ast guy this season.. especially in that system.. Hes has learned from the best in Kidd for the last two years.. watched Him.. He really ready to step up.. IF he gets minutes.. He will be amazing for u guys.. He still ahs some flaws but like conditioning.. and decision making.. but that will come with experience... Very good pick up 4 u guys.. I think the NEts should have gotten more.. But i'm happy hes finally getting the chance he deserves.. hes been behind Kidd and now harris Now..
Good Look MWill

Kind of wished we got more.. but cant complain about a 1st rounder... Cant tell u if we got ripped off or not untill we see who the 1st rounder will be

Westbrook36
07-22-2008, 02:09 PM
I wonder why they did 2011 maybe because LEBRON MIGHT COME In 2010. Thats a horrible trade if Lebron comes because they will be a good team

Afridi786
07-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Thats a really small backcourt, but warriors dont play defense anyway, so doesn't really matter.

bryan_22221
07-22-2008, 02:12 PM
i watch the warriors too, and while i kind of agree with you, i can see marcus williams eventually becoming the starting pg this season, if not right away. monta ellis is amazing at the 2 and can give you a lot of points, there is no reason to make him run the point when we already saw that he is better at the 2 spot. also, i dont think they would trade a 1st rd pick for a backup. i think they have higher hopes for marcus williams than you do...we'll see tho...

if you read my last 2 sentences, I said exactly what you just wrote, I think he will start as a backup but eventually move to the starting role, because Monta is on our team for his scoring skills, we dont need to be wasting his skills. I can almost guarantee Marcus doesnt start opening night of the season

Sports Illustrator
07-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Good move made by both teams, but I'd say that this move favors the Warriors a little more because Marcus Williams could potentially be this team's future Point Guard. It isn't easy to find pure Point Guards, the problem with Marcus Williams and the Nets is that Marcus Williams never was given the ability to prove himself since his minutes were low while being behind Devin Harris and Jason Kidd.

Halladay
07-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Williams is over-rated...his value has done nothing but go down since he was drafted. He's supposedly a lazy player with a poor work ethic. I think even a first round pick might be a bit much for him.

rhino17
07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
i dont undersand why the nets did this

Afridi786
07-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about a guy who couldn't earn playing time on a bad team.

Nets fan 93
07-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I second that. Marcus was amazing when Kidd was traded and Devin was injured.

I remember preseason 2 years ago when he schooled Marbury :laugh:

This is a good trade for both teams

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Nice job Nets
Williams is underrated, but will be good in golden state as the primary backup pg

Thatruth32
07-22-2008, 04:27 PM
hope all you guys are rite.... we need a true pg... as much as i dont think hes a starter on our team i find it hard to think we traded a 1st round pick for a back up and we all know monta is not a true point... so time will tell

HOZ THE KNICK
07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
nets keep moving them out,i know they can't wait for 2010

durqtitan
07-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't see how he could start. if he did start:

Marcus Williams - pg
Monte Eliss - sg
Stephen Jackson - sf
Corey Maggette - pf ?
Al Harrington or Andris Biedrins - c

Even if Harrington is traded; to start Williams, Jackson or Maggette would have to come of the bench and I don't think either of them would be happy about that. If they did play this line up it would be way to small, even for Don Nelson.

Lincecain08
07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
there's no way marcus williams is gonna start. First of all, he's not good enough. And second of all that would mean that stephen jackson would have to play PF and I really don't see that happening.

TheBatchelor213
07-22-2008, 04:44 PM
williams, the next troy hudson

myspace.com/thebatchelorspe

J-N-M-ETS4LYF
07-22-2008, 04:50 PM
there's no way marcus williams is gonna start. First of all, he's not good enough. And second of all that would mean that stephen jackson would have to play PF and I really don't see that happening.

So you rather have your best player play out of position? ( ellis at PG?)... and trust me ask any net fan.. Marcus williams is capable of being a starting PG in the NBA... HE is good enough.. you'lll find out soon enough... whats wrong with a lineup like this:
Pd: marcus williams
sg: monta Ellis
sf: corey mcgette
pf: al Harington
c: A Biedrinis

And then you have stephen jack as ur sixth man of your bench.. Thats a really good team to tell u the truth. Jackson can be useful off the bench.

durqtitan
07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
So you rather have your best player play out of position? ( ellis at PG?)... and trust me ask any net fan.. Marcus williams is capable of being a starting PG in the NBA... HE is good enough.. you'lll find out soon enough... whats wrong with a lineup like this:
Pd: marcus williams
sg: monta Ellis
sf: corey mcgette
pf: al Harington
c: A Biedrinis

And then you have stephen jack as ur sixth man of your bench.. Thats a really good team to tell u the truth. Jackson can be useful off the bench.

That could work. I don't know that Harrington will still be there when the season starts. If they could get a true PF that might play D it would make this line up a ton better. Harrington is a SF. Jackson would be a great 6th man, but his ego is huge. That is why he demanded out of Indiana, he wants to start.

Beno7500
07-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Warriors keep going young...

Liney3506
07-22-2008, 05:35 PM
And the Sixers will resign Louis Williams :D

Beno7500
07-22-2008, 05:37 PM
76ers
Blazers
Warriors.

They have to be the youngest teams in the NBA

_Sn1P3r_
07-25-2008, 05:57 PM
That could work. I don't know that Harrington will still be there when the season starts. If they could get a true PF that might play D it would make this line up a ton better. Harrington is a SF. Jackson would be a great 6th man, but his ego is huge. That is why he demanded out of Indiana, he wants to start.

I don't see S-Jax becoming 6th man as well.

_Sn1P3r_
07-25-2008, 05:57 PM

Sorry, double post.

chicagowhitesox
07-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Too high of a price for Williams.