PDA

View Full Version : What is left to do this off-season?

ink
07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
What do you think is left to do this off-season, and how would you make it work financially?

Bob_at_york
07-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Raps still need to sign another guard. Doug Smith thinks that Juan Dixon is in the mix:

The plan still is to sign a minimum-salary combo guard who will sit on the bench and play in emergencies or if foul trouble hits both Jose and Roko in the same game.

I know Juan Dixon’s people have called Toronto – it was a call made right at the start of free agency – and he may be the default position right now.

Or maybe they have to gamble on a guy like Carroll or one of the other guards they’ve scouted in various summer leagues (Utah’s on now to wind up the season).

But, again, this is not going to be a signing of significance. In a perfect Raptor world, where Jose’s healthy and Ukic gives ‘em 16-18 minutes a night every night, the 13th man is only going to get garbage minutes.

And that’s why it’s really not worth getting all worked up a bit.

Oh, and it won’t be Darrick Martin.

Link: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Cortez
07-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Shuan Livingston
BUY OUT JOEY

Bob_at_york
07-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Shuan Livingston
BUY OUT JOEY

I like the idea of Livingston but I don't understand why you would waste your time buying out Joey. Please explain.

Denverb2b
07-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Dixon would be pointless and not help us at all, I would be disappointed if Dixon is signed before all the others still remaining on the market. I would only accept a Dixon signing if all others were gone and just before tranining camp.

I think BC is looking for a pg or combo guard and will get one. Other than that a small chance of a trade for a quality sf or sg but those chances seem slim anymore.

So most likely, one more signing and thats it.

Bob_at_york
07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Dixon would be pointless and not help us at all, I would be disappointed if Dixon is signed before all the others still remaining on the market. I would only accept a Dixon signing if all others were gone and just before tranining camp.

I think BC is looking for a pg or combo guard and will get one. Other than that a small chance of a trade for a quality sf or sg but those chances seem slim anymore.
The only problem I have with Dixon is that I thought he was unhappy with little or no playing time. I thought that was why we traded him. Beyond that I think he would be a fine combo guard who is the third PG on our team.

ink
07-22-2008, 01:35 PM
The only problem I have with Dixon is that I thought he was unhappy with little or no playing time. I thought that was why we traded him. Beyond that I think he would be a fine combo guard who is the third PG on our team.

I'm also not so excited about Dixon. His backup minutes last year at PG were really rough. Who was it that you were advocating as a backup PG a few weeks ago Bob? Has he been picked up?

Raptors27
07-22-2008, 01:49 PM
We missed out on Keyon Dooling(PG), Marcus Williams(PG) and Matt Barnes(SG/SF) for pretty much nothing. Colangelo has to try to get something done for a 3rd PG. I know we dont really need another wing but i was impressed with Famer on our summer league team. He played D and could score.

Bob_at_york
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm also not so excited about Dixon. His backup minutes last year at PG were really rough. Who was it that you were advocating as a backup PG a few weeks ago Bob? Has he been picked up?

I have talked about a lot of different guys lately but one name from way back that I mentioned was Anthony Carter. He is a vet who plays some defence and can pass the ball. not sure if he has signed with anyone.

EDIT: I just googled, he has re-signed with the Nuggets. I also suggested Darrell Armstrong at one point.

mjt20mik
07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
I like the idea of Darrell Armstrong. He always plays with his all.

Dragan
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
i dont like the idea of signing Dixon, not because he is a bad guy, but because he is undersized.

Mile High Champ
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I love Joey Graham and really think he can be a good role player on a good team. Maybe the summer league is just what he needs to get over that hump and gain some confidnece. It is evident he certainly has the ability to be a great player and his gifted athletically.

Mile High Champ
07-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I like the idea of Darrell Armstrong. He always plays with his all.

not a bad suggestion. I would be up for exploring it.

Raptors27
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
I love Joey Graham and really think he can be a good role player on a good team. Maybe the summer league is just what he needs to get over that hump and gain some confidnece. It is evident he certainly has the ability to be a great player and his gifted athletically.

On my NBA 2k8 Joey is my leading scorer with 27 ppg lmao.

I think that Darrell Armstrong is too old, he is 39. Can he really still play if we would need him to play backup?

Bob_at_york
07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
On my NBA 2k8 Joey is my leading scorer with 27 ppg lmao.

I think that Darrell Armstrong is too old, he is 39. Can he really still play if we would need him to play backup?

I think Darrell could. He played more minutes at some points last season and I remember him bringing tons of energy even at 39. Full-court press the whole way.

Halladay
07-22-2008, 02:38 PM
It doesn't matter if Armstrong is 39 years old, how many minutes is our THIRD point guard going to play? almost no minutes. He'd just be insurance and nothing more. Armstrong can still contribute too, anyone who's seen him play recently can attest to that. He still brings it.

Raptors27
07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
^^I'd rather sign Lucas IMO.

argo
07-22-2008, 05:52 PM

He may very well have been unhappy - it did seem that way... but he didn't get anymore run in Detroit.

Maybe he's realized his options at this point in his career are limited to a back-up/ mentor role. Some guys figure this out a a certain point in their careers, that they should be happy making $1-2m a year playing a game, and that maybe if they're a positive influence on the young guys there could be an assistant coaching job down the road. I think of guys like Michael Curry (now head coach of the Pistons) who was never a starter here, and didn't see much more than garbage minutes - but was constantly a positive influence on his teamates. Sam Mitchell is another example, Porter - now the head coach in Phoenix, and Derrick Martin.

What I'm trying to say is that these glue guys that fill out your roster are so important to team chemistry... guys that are happy to be there, push the starters in practice, stay positive and prepared to step into a game when they're called on... it all comes with maturity, which is why I think the final back-up 1-2 guard spot will go to a guy like Darrel Armstrong, Lindsay Hunter, Juan Dixon... unless they can find a young, promising, smart, mature-beyond-his-years guy who's not going to cry about playing time.
The first option is probably more likely.
I also think this combo guard should be a good-to-excellent defender, seeing as Jose and Ukic are average/ suspect on the defensive end. He should also have the size and physicality to play the 1 OR 2.

So IMO it looks like the back-up 1-2 guard position will be the one used with what little remaining cash we have left. If there are any other moves they'll probably have to come via trade.

ink
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
^I think Juan Dixon would be the opposite of a glue guy. Do you agree?

argo
07-22-2008, 06:07 PM
hmmm i don't think he's the best option, but if it's true that he's been inquiring about coming back here he knows the role that will be expected of him this time... maybe last time he was here his role was unclear?
i don't know whats in his head or how he acted in the locker room when he was here, but he seems to fit the role we need here - back-up 1-2 guard.

deaner
07-22-2008, 06:12 PM
He may very well have been unhappy - it did seem that way... but he didn't get anymore run in Detroit.

Maybe he's realized his options at this point in his career are limited to a back-up/ mentor role. Some guys figure this out a a certain point in their careers, that they should be happy making $1-2m a year playing a game, and that maybe if they're a positive influence on the young guys there could be an assistant coaching job down the road. I think of guys like Michael Curry (now head coach of the Pistons) who was never a starter here, and didn't see much more than garbage minutes - but was constantly a positive influence on his teamates. Sam Mitchell is another example, Porter - now the head coach in Phoenix, and Derrick Martin.

What I'm trying to say is that these glue guys that fill out your roster are so important to team chemistry... guys that are happy to be there, push the starters in practice, stay positive and prepared to step into a game when they're called on... it all comes with maturity, which is why I think the final back-up 1-2 guard spot will go to a guy like Darrel Armstrong, Lindsay Hunter, Juan Dixon... unless they can find a young, promising, smart, mature-beyond-his-years guy who's not going to cry about playing time.
The first option is probably more likely.

So IMO it looks like the back-up 1-2 guard position will be the one used with what little remaining cash we have left. If there are any other moves they'll probably have to come via trade.

I doubt Dixon changed his life view in a few months. I'd rather not have the old Juan back.

My dream would be Sam Cassell wanting to be a part of our team and excepting the little pre-tax money we can offer.

argo
07-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Geeze, you guys talk about Juan as if you were there in the locker room/ on the bus with the guy while he was here!
I'm not a big Juan Dixon fan either...
But IMO he's a better option than a lot of the other names I hear being thrown around. Having said that, I still like Darrel Armstrong and Lindsay Hunter better.

Denverb2b
07-22-2008, 06:55 PM
The thing BC and we need to remember is this third pg or combo guard is going to have to be prepared to play a larger role on this team should Roko Ukic not deliver. We all assume Roko is going to be this great player and capable of backing up calderon 10-20mpg every night. I would wager some if not all of you have never seen this kid play a full game, ye we talk as if his solid play off the bench is set in stone.

We need a third guard or combo guard that can play significant minutes if needed, not a crummy end of bench player just for the hell of it. I dont think Dixon is the anwser at all, all he does is shoot, he cant pass as a point guard and he cannot guard NBA shooting guards at his height. I remember watching us play the Nets and teams like the rockets where mitchell would toss dixon out there against carter and tmac one on one and it was embarrasing, I never want to see that happen again.

dirtybird
07-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a feeling that Shaun Livingston's knee will be no better than Jay Williams. In other words, his career is done.

IversonIsKrazy
07-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Well all we gotta do is sign a sg/sf and maybe a pg if u want.
I didn't like the signing of Hassan Adams.

For the PG spot i like Janero Pargo.

For the SG/SF spot, i like Kareem Rush. Unless we can afford Ricky Davis.

_Sn1P3r_
07-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I have talked about a lot of different guys lately but one name from way back that I mentioned was Anthony Carter. He is a vet who plays some defence and can pass the ball. not sure if he has signed with anyone.

EDIT: I just googled, he has re-signed with the Nuggets. I also suggested Darrell Armstrong at one point.

Hmm. Darrell Armstrong isn't bad. Old but energetic. I wouldn't mind him.

carruthers32
07-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Raps still need to sign another guard. Doug Smith thinks that Juan Dixon is in the mix:

Link: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Doug Smith is an idiot. Didn't we trade Juan Dixon last year because he was complaining of a lack of playing time.

jaysfan4ever
07-26-2008, 05:24 PM
i vote armstrong or hunter, because they've proven to be great glue guys... hunter played for the pistons and they loved him, and plays excellent defence. i haven't seen much of armstrong, but il trust that he'll be a good energy boost in the locker room, which is good, because the raptors were a bit lethargic last season. Can armstrong play the 2 though? He seems very small.

baileybwoy
07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
What about JR Smith?

Hes a punk, but he's good, and looking at the Camby trade maybe Denver would be happier to ship him off and play Iverson at the 2 then resign him.

Storch
07-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Javaris Crittenton from memphis should be a good player to trade for. he's a young pg thats very athletic and he's 6'4.

argo
07-26-2008, 08:03 PM

I forgot about Carter.. he's exactly the type of player we need if he's in our price range.

I was pretty impressed with Lucas in summer camp as well. He showed maturity, patience, good ball handling, and bball IQ. Only thing, he'd be too small if they want a combo 1-2 guard.

Jawai was also impressive - great footwork/ agility for a guy his size, and he seems to play smart considering he's only been playing for 6 years. JO has said publicly that he's been impressed by Jawai. The two of them and Bargnani are working out together this summer.

Other notables in summer league - CJ Giles looked great, doubt they'll have room for him though. Akindele, Farmer, and Banks also showed well.

Dol-Fan
07-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Juan Dixon would be alright, when we let him play at the 2 his first year here, he played real well. IMO that's where we'll need him most anyway, unless something happens to Ukic or Calderon. Parker's only backup at this point is Hassan Adams and that could be disaster since he's never really performed at this level.

Other then that signing, I don't see much else happening in the offseason. Midseason however, I'm laying down a prediction that the Raps trade for Stephen Jackson after the Warriors disappoint in the first half. Jackson would be perfect for this team and would also allow Kapono to start at the 3, since Jackson provides solid defence to guard the other teams best player.

dominicanboy193
07-27-2008, 12:33 AM
i believe the best combo guard left out of all of them is Salim Stoudamire i believe we should go and get him

IversonIsKrazy
07-27-2008, 01:01 AM
i still don't think we need another pg. I think Roko Ukic will step up and b a good back-up. But if nessecary i think we should go 4 either one of these 2 guys.

Earl Boykins

Janerro Pargo

raptor fan
07-27-2008, 02:03 PM
there isn't much left to do this off-season. I still think we should trade joey. his value isn't going to get much higher after his summer league play. Though its probably not that high, i think we should trade so we get a SG/SF and another big. This way we basically fill another roster in our lineup without having to spend any additional money. A possible deal could be Joey Graham for Coby Karl and Chris Mihm. This opens up the possibility to sign another PG/SG with whatever money we have left to avoid paying the luxury tax (possibly jannero pargo or shaun livingston). Then our roster would look something like this:

PG: Jose Calderon/Roko Ukic/Pargo or Livingston
SG: Anthony Parker/Hassan Adams/Coby Karl
SF: Jamario Moon/Jason Kapono
PF: Chris Bosh/Andrea Bargnani/Kris Humphries
C: Jermaine O'neal/Nathan Jawai/Chris Mihm

Then at the trade deadline, we could try adding another star player such as steven jackson, ron artest, etc.

IversonIsKrazy
07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
we don't need another big man. we got bargs, hump & Jawaii as back-ups. SF spot if full 2. I think the pg spot that we got rite now is fine, we dont need to pay more money 4 another PG. But i don't think Hassam Adams wuz a good pick-up 4 us. Hes going 2 b replacing Delfino. I dont think hes even going 2 average over 5ppg. I'm pretty dissapointed in BC 4 signing him, and having less money to spend now.

Goon.Weezy
07-27-2008, 03:59 PM
|__ o\
| W \O
| |\_
| /-\
| / \
|
|

________
o | __ |
\_ O | |__| |