PDA

View Full Version : If Free agency Ended Today!

OleState
07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
if it ended today I wouldn't mind the fact that we didn't sign a pg because I think the team we have can run the offence when Nash needs a rest. I think Boris is the answer at running the offensive when nash needs a break. I think it will create favorable matchups for the Suns. We would just be to big to gaurd with lines up that look like these. And Grant could also see time at bring the ball up if you had to rest Diaw and Nash.

Boris
Bell
Hill
Amare
Shaq

Barbosa
Bell
Boris(bringing the ball up and set uo the offesive)
Amare
Shaq

or any line-up with Boris facilitating the offensive

I think this gives him ability to return to what we seen two years ago and late in the playoffs because he actually has the ball in his hands. With Shaq and Amara in the low post and Nash running the offence there just weren't enough touches for him last year. I hope Terry Porter takes advatage of his ability to play multiple positions.

certificial
07-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH U!!!! I posted the same type of answer in another thread. During the spurs seried we lost focus on our gameplan by posting boris more and not getting stat the ball as much and again i say you cant expect a 6'8" guard minded player to back up or supplant stat. he is a great passer and he was brought in to be nash's backup. let him or hill facilitate. See how D.J. plays early in the season. We do have options. Great post OleState!!!!

STAT32
07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
^^^ You do realize that Boris Diaw has probably the nicest post moves in the entire league. So to say he can't back up Stat is ridiculous. He played Center for a whole year, his MIP year.

certificial
07-22-2008, 07:11 PM
i do realize that but i still believe he is a better asset to us as a big guard. his mip year was starting in place of stat for the entire season. come on honestly what guard can match up with him in the post? passing out of the post to shooters?

STAT32
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
His MIP season he was matching up against power forwards and abusing them. Just because we play Boris at the 1 doesnt mean the other team will defend him with their pg. Or even sg they'll put a SF or PF on him.

nashty13
07-22-2008, 07:35 PM
His MIP season he was matching up against power forwards and abusing them. Just because we play Boris at the 1 doesnt mean the other team will defend him with their pg. Or even sg they'll put a SF or PF on him.

So lets say, when Boris and LB come in, we have a lineup similar to this:
LB
Diaw
Hill
Amare
Lopez

(obviously there are plenty of variations to this lineup)
So if the PG guards LB and a 3 or 4 is used to guard Diaw, who will guard Hill? I think we'd be on to something having Diaw as the distributor. Barbosa can hit the three, Hill (or Barnes who is not as tall but more physical) can hit the deep two (or 3 for Barnes) with Amare down low and Robin cleaning up. I mean we couldn't use it for too long, since both Stat and Hill would need to come out shortly for rests, but i think that could be a solid lineup for maybe the stretch run near the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters (perhaps giving Hill an early rest or even starting Barnes instead). Thoughts?

JPHX
07-22-2008, 07:49 PM
we have already seen what LB can do at the point. its resulted in us having a stagnant offense which teams like san antonio have taken advantage of. LB should be strickly a 2 guard. Hence, it is priority that we sign a free agent point guard. i personally am not cool with not signing a backup pg for nash.

and as for boris as the floor general.....as it was stated before his low block play is where he is most effective, relieving our three point shooters from much pressure.

Rome
07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
The suns need a backup guard, end of discussion lol. Maybe if nash's backup gets injured I wouldn't mind givin Boris a try when stat and diesel are in. But they need a decent backup redardless.

Indi23
07-22-2008, 09:59 PM
i agree Boris has the ability to bring up the ball but.. imo it would have to be Grant Hill bringing the ball up.. way better experience wise and great dribbling ability+Play making ability

FreedomReigns
07-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I just don't see many options out there that make sense. We've speculated on everyone but Magic Johnson in here.

Possible free agent targets in no particulular order:

PG Jason Williams
PG Damon Stoudamire
PG Sam Cassell
PG Carlos Arroyo
PG Salim Stoudamire
PG Earl Boykins
PG Shaun Livingston
PG Darrell Armstrong
(UPDATE) PG Randy Livingston since he was mentioned in another thread.

Thats about all I can muster for point guards.

Im probably the only one that will say this but I wouldn't be too upset if they signed Darrell Armstrong to play a few minutes behind Nash. He's deffinatly past his prime but he can still run an offense long enough for Nash to rest. Few to no turnovers, solid defense and heart. That's all the Suns need in a backup.

I wouldn't start him but i'd deffinatly play him off the bench for 10-15 minutes. Good veteran mentality and 100% effort. He's a fiesty old man who still has enough quickness to hang. He also would cost no more than the Vet minimum. The Suns will still need to sign one more player after that as well.

Bigjd420
07-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Matt Barnes is a great pick up for the Suns. He will bring some defensive intensity and will be able to guard the 1, 2, 3 positions. So the team will look like this
Nash/Strawberry/free agent signing
Bell/ Barnes/Barbossa
Hill/diaw/Barnes
Amare/diaw/ Free agent signing @ the 4-5 position
Shaq/Lopez
Plus The way he has been playing in summer league/Tucker.

I really think the suns can make a run with this
The lakers have lost some players????
San Ant has not necessarily gotten better
Utah????? i don't think so
Houston....Maybe if Yao stays healthy and Mcgrady stays put.
New Orleans might be the team to beat, but i still like the Suns.

Look at the match up with the lakers
Nash/fisher........Nash
Kobe/Bell.......Duh!
Odom/ Diaw/Hill....Suns
Amare/Pau.........Please!
Shaq/Bynum.......even
We could throw Starwberry/Bell/Barnes/Diaw/Hill at Kobe, Again Kobe will get his, but you could slow him down.

What do you think ?,
Amare Mvp,Barnes 6th man award/ Nash getting 18/10, Shaq getiing 12/11, Lopez 10 boards a game, Daiw getting 20/5/5, Barbossa getiing 15pts per game......I think the Suns might get 1 more ring for Shaq!

king4day
07-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Matt Barnes is a great pick up for the Suns. He will bring some defensive intensity and will be able to guard the 1, 2, 3 positions. So the team will look like this
Bell/ Barnes/Barbossa
Hill/diaw/Barnes
Shaq/Lopez

Nash/fisher........Nash
Kobe/Bell.......Duh!
Odom/ Diaw/Hill....Suns
Shaq/Bynum.......even
We could throw Starwberry/Bell/Barnes/Diaw/Hill at Kobe, Again Kobe will get his, but you could slow him down.

What do you think ?,
Amare Mvp,Barnes 6th man award/ Nash getting 18/10, Shaq getiing 12/11, Lopez 10 boards a game, Daiw getting 20/5/5, Barbossa getiing 15pts per game......I think the Suns might get 1 more ring for Shaq!

I do agree in that I think we've improved more than any of last years playoff teams outside of New Orleans.

If Bynum is healthy, then the Lakers have the edge in that one.
Odom and Diaw/Hill I'd call a draw at most.

Lopez prob won't get 10 a game in the limited minutes (20?) that he gets. He'll do a good job tho.
I know LA lost Turiaf but haven't heard what's happening with Vujacic. If they lost him too, they'd officially be taking a step back since that would be a key bench 3 pt threat they'd be losing.

certificial
07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
SA is getting old-ER, LA will have an emotional hangover (unless they get Artest-doubt it), Houston is incompetent, Denver wont make it. Neither will G. State or the Clippers. Dallas doesnt pose a threat. Utah and N.O. are the only teams who have helped themselves this offseason so far. Utah just for resigning D.Will and N.O. getting Posey. But I really think a more defensive minded, disciplined, and deeper Suns team can matchup with anyone. I'm pretty sure the players are as tired of coming close as we the fans are.

kjfan
07-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Bell/ Barnes/Barbossa
Hill/diaw/Barnes
Shaq/Lopez

Nash/fisher........Nash
Kobe/Bell.......Duh!
Odom/ Diaw/Hill....Suns
Shaq/Bynum.......even

What do you think ?,

If that were to come true:
If Diaw gets 20/5/5 and Barns gets 6th man award, no doubt %100 positive championship for the suns.