PDA

View Full Version : Childress exploring Greek team

Sports Illustrator
07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Hawks restricted free agent swingman Josh Childress spent Monday in Athens, Greece, not Georgia, exploring his options beyond the NBA. Childress and at least one of his agents, Jim Tanner, were in Greece to visit officials from European power Olympiakos and discuss the possibility of Childress playing the upcoming season there rather than with the Hawks or any other NBA team.

From Atlanta Journal Constitution (http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/07/21/hawks_childress_olympikos.html)

dirk206
07-22-2008, 12:17 PM
I think if he signed with this Greek team, David Stern would play with the idea of instituting a rule so teams in the NBA could math offers made by European teams. So far, we've only seen mediocre players sign and European players. But this to me would be the first legitimate player to sign with a European team over an NBA team. But I think it'd be a good move for Josh Childress, do whatever you have to do to get your money.

Shieldsz
07-22-2008, 03:21 PM
why? those are 2 different leagues...not connected in anyway.

dirk206
07-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Because Josh Childress is a restricted free agent, meaning the Hawks have a right to match any offer a team gives him. But there is no rule in the NBA that allows them to match an offer from a European team. So if he signs with that Greek team, Atlanta has no say in it. So that's why I think Stern may try to fix that rule because it's hurting his business and it's kind of a loophole for the NBA.

Cullksinikers
07-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Have a gyro for me Josh.

JWalk126
07-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Report: Childress likely to sign in Greece

Sekou Smith reported in his blog early Wednesday morning that Hawks swingman Josh Childress is very likely going to sign a contract with Greek team Olympiakos in the very near future.
"Childress is still in Athens and won’t leave without making a decision on his immediate future," Smith writes. And three of the sources Smith has spoken to have stated that Childress is "gone." The Hawks could have locked him up long-term last year, but chose to play the waiting game, and appear to have lost. This will be a PR nightmare in Atlanta, and now hangs a further cloud over the future of Josh Smith, another restricted free agent, and the Hawks. Apparently, Billy Knight wasn't the biggest problem in Atlanta, and the owners seem to be dead set on keeping their spot as the laughing stock of the NBA.
rotoworld.com