PDA

View Full Version : Miner Review

hoog
07-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Boy, I wasn't real thrilled to see Miner get the start but I must say he threw the best I've seen him throw in a long time. He seems to really bite down hard when he starts and he showed some real grit last night. Could Jim have pulled another rabbit out of his hat? If Minor can give us some quality starts in the second half of the season then we may close the gap faster than anyone thought. His sinker was awsome and he was in the low 90's almost all the way through his start. That's a very good sign for him when he has those two going for him. Let's keep our fingers crossed that he keeps it up.

chetlemon
07-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I think that he finds his composure a little bit more when starting. I think he won a few games starting in 2006. We moved him to the bullpen because our projected starters were different at the beginning of the year. I hope we have found a gem for the rest of the year as well. I happen to like him because he is nothing flashy and has some great pitches.....I hate him out of the bullpen.

Bondomania
07-22-2008, 01:40 PM
agreed.. he is a good major league starter, because he is more comfortable using ALL 4 of his pitches, instead when he comes out of the pen they are usually looking for a groundball so he relies to much on his sinker.. he has a good changeup and a pretty solid slider and curveball.. he can also mix in the occasional 4 seamer that runs up to 94 and 95, but he rarely throws it.. i really like him as our 5th starter.. i would however, still like us to make a push for A.J. Burnett and get Nate either out of town, or to the BP

stanpapi
07-22-2008, 03:31 PM
There is reason to be encouraged with Miner. Same time, he's shut out KC for 6 innings, take that for what it's worth. Take it with a grain of salt. It's good news, but only one test.

chetlemon
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree Stan. Just pointing out that he seems to be more in control of his destiny as a starter and definitely better than Bonine. Hell, he might be a better option than Robertson as a 5th starter. I hope that he does well, 'cause if not, we are REALLY in for a long second half. We need a lot of pitching to step up. A game like that is what it takes to get some confidence.

chetlemon
07-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes I know Robertson isn't the 5th starter...............but he should be. Hell, I don't even know how we order them anymore, I just know Verlander is our #1.

Bondomania
07-22-2008, 06:00 PM
verlander
rogers
galarraga
robertson
miner

i believe that is the way the order would go, if we started the season fresh with that rotation

Bondomania
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
although robertson and miner should be flip flopped.. hell robertson shouldn't even be in the rotation at this point...

Sheffies Chef
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
here here! i would rather put up with Willis than Nate. hell, at least the D-train has/had an entertaining delievery lol.

Sheffies Chef
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
here here! i would rather put up with Willis than Nate. hell, at least the D-train has/had an entertaining delievery lol.

stanpapi
07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't want the D-train throwing BP just now.

Bondomania
07-22-2008, 11:22 PM
i heard he was up to the low 90's with his new delivery in his one start.. and he was between the low 80's and the low 90's.. i imagine once they iron out the kinks and he becomes more comfortable with the delivery, i imagine he should be able to run the fastball up to 93-94, and he is showing a little better control.. let's keep our fingers crossed

stanpapi
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I look forward to that time, but that time is clearly not now.

smarkow
07-24-2008, 04:47 PM
who cares what order the pitchers are in, 1-5. it really doesnt matter unless we make the playoffs.