PDA

View Full Version : 10 Greatest Point Guards Ever

Lakersfan2483
07-22-2008, 04:27 AM
1. Magic Johnson: Anybody with any kind of basketball credibility would put Magic Johnson in their top 5 all time greatest list thus making it real simple to name him as the greatest point guard in league history. He changed the NBA and behind Michael Jordan he might be the most significant player to the NBA being the global success that it is today. In his prime he put up stats that no other player in league history accomplished including a remarkable 23.9 points 12.2 assists and 6.3 rebounds in 1987. He is 1 of only 5 players in NBA history who have averaged 12 assist or more for a season and 3 of those players did it only one time in their career (Isiah Thomas, Kevin Johnson, Kevin Porter). Magic averaged over 12 assist an outstanding 6 times in his career (averaged 11.92 in 1988 just missing 7 times). He is by far the most accomplished point guard in league history. He won 5 championships, 3 MVPís, 3 finals MVPís, 2 All Star MVPís, 12 All Star Selections, All NBA 1st Team 9 times, and an Olympic Gold Medal.

2. Oscar Robertson: The ďBig OĒ had statistical seasons that no other player in history has done or ever will do. Robertson is the only player in NBA history to average a triple double for an entire season (1962). He retired as the all time leader in assists a feat that he held for 17 years (He is 4th currently). He averaged over 30 points a game 6 times, over 9 assists a game 9 times, and over 9 rebounds a game 5 times. He was the only player not named Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell to win a MVP between 1960-1968 winning in 1964. After playing on a Mediocre Cincinnati Royals team his first 10 seasons he teamed up with Lew Alcindor (later to known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar) on the Milwaukee Bucks to win the NBA title in 1971. He was a 12 time all star, and won the all star MVP award 3 times (61, 64, 69). Oscar was All NBA 1st team 9 times in his remarkable career.

3. Isiah Thomas: The greatest little man that this game has ever seen was Isiah Thomas. However, with his small frame he possessed one of the biggest hearts the league has ever seen as well. He was the leader of the Piston Bad Boys teams that changed the style of basketball in the late 80ís and early 90ís. Thomas was an explosive scorer yet an efficient floor leader. He averaged an astounding 21.2 points and 13.9 assists in 1985 (only John Stockton has had more total assists in one season). Has the distinction of being able to say that he beat Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird in the playoffs. He won 2 championships, a Finals MVP (1990), and was a 12 time all star winning the all star MVP twice.

4. John Stockton: If I was explaining the game to a novice, and I wanted to use an example of the perfect prototype point guard then John Stockton would be that example. John Stockton had no flaws in his game and absolutely mastered the position. He was so smart that he was still able to be one of the top point guards in the league at 40 years old. His 15,806 assists record along with Wilt Chamberlainís rebounding record (23,924) are the two most unbreakable career records in NBA history. Stockton is also the all time leader in steals. He was a 10 time all star winning the game MVP in 1993. He played in the NBA Finals twice and advanced to the conference finals 5 times. He is the only player in history with at least 19,000 career points and 10,000 career assists. He played every game of the season a remarkable 17 times out of his 19 seasons.

5. Bob Cousy: The Houdini of the Hardwood as he was known in his day was the original Magic. Cousy was way ahead of his time in terms of his skills and play making abilities. Historically, he was instrumental in keeping an infant NBA alive because of his ability to draw fans with his crowd pleasing style. He is 1 of 8 players in history to record 16,000 points and 6,000 assists (He was just shy of 17,000 and 7,000 for his career). He is the all time assist leader in Boston Celtics history. Cousy was a 13 time all star winning the MVP of the game twice. He won a remarkable 6 NBA Championships during his illustrious NBA career.

6. Gary Payton: Known as ďThe GloveĒ Gary Payton is one of the greatest competitors of his generation. He was known as a great defender and in 1996 became the only point guard in history to win Defensive Player Of The Year. Payton and Oscar Robertson are the only players ever to record 21,000 points and 8,000 assist (Payton was 24 assist short of 9,000). He led the Seattle Sonics to the NBA Finals in 1996 and played in two other Finals series winning it all in 2006 with Miami. He was an all star 9 times in his career. He averaged 20 points or more 7 times which is the second most of any point guard behind Oscar Robertson.

7. Walt Frazier: Maybe the coolest and most stylish player in NBA history, Walt Frazier epitomized those characteristics during his NBA career. He was perhaps the first pure scoring point guard of the league. He had a tremendous ability to score in bunches in big games. He doesnít have the career numbers of other guys on this list because of injuries toward the end of his career, but he had many fantastic playoff performances which carries a lot of weight when measuring greatness. He won 2 NBA championships with the Knicks during the early 70ís, and is probably best known for having the best game 7 performance in Finals history with 36 points 19 assist and 5 steals. He was a 7 time all star winning the all star game MVP in 1975.

8. Jason Kidd: Jason Kidd will go down as the best point guard of this decade. A floor general and stat stuffer Kidd is 3rd all time in triple doubles with an amazing 100 total. He is currently 5th all time in assist and should retire as the second all time leader in assists behind John Stockton. He revitalized a proverbial losing New Jersey Nets franchise into a winner making consecutive NBA Finals appearances in 2002 and 2003. He won an Olympic Gold Medal in 2000 in Sydney. He is an 8 time all star, and was All NBA 1ST team 5 times, and all NBA Defensive 1st team 4 times.

9. Lenny Wilkens: Lenny Wilkens is the all time leader in coaching wins in NBA history but what many people donít know is that he was an all time great point guard as well. He is one of 6 players in NBA history with 17,000 points and 7,000 assists, and is currently 10th all time in assist for a career. He came in second place in MVP voting behind Wilt Chamberlain in 1968. He was a 9 time all star and won the all star game MVP in 1971. In his prime he would average about 20 points and 9 assist a game almost every year. Wilkens is probably one of the top 5 left handed players in NBA history.

10. Steve Nash: Steve Nash along with the top 2 players on this list (Magic and Oscar) are the only point guards with MVPís on their resume, and Magic is the only other multiple MVP winner. Nash is 15th all time in assists and is on pace to finish in the top 6 or 7 if healthy. Only 5 players have averaged more that his 11.6 assists in 2007. He is a 6 time all star, and is a 3 time all NBA 1st team member. He is known for making other players better while still producing himself. Led the Phoenix Suns to the biggest turn around in NBA history in 2005 (record was passed by Boston this year).

Honorable Mention:

* Nate Archibald: Would be top 10 had not injuries stolen many of his prime years.
* Kevin Johnson: Injury plagued career after turning 27 hurt a very promising career.
* Tim Hardaway: Again, injuries prevented him from being a top 10 point guard.

STAT32
07-22-2008, 04:31 AM
I think you could put Nash a bit higher, however I understand him not having any rings really does hurt him here.

Beno7500
07-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Chris Paul will soon be up there

Alex-sama
07-22-2008, 04:37 AM
no MJ????

Vinny642
07-22-2008, 04:40 AM
no MJ????

He is a SG.

And to Beno7500
CP3 will be top 5 imo.

madiaz3
07-22-2008, 04:43 AM
no MJ????

what mj that isnt magic johnson belongs on this point guard list?

Beno7500
07-22-2008, 04:44 AM
IDK about top 5 right now but, he will be HOF

cmellofan15
07-22-2008, 04:48 AM
duh mike james

crazygolucky
07-22-2008, 04:57 AM
CP3? IDK IF he'll be top 5 but def. top 10 by the time he's finished

crazygolucky
07-22-2008, 05:12 AM
this is a very good list, i totally agree with Magic being numero uno. im a huge nash fan; hopefully he'll be able to play till he's 40 like Stockton (or possibly later with Phoenix's medical staff)

Crunchy12489
07-22-2008, 05:14 AM
no MJ????

Please tell me you were talking about Magic Johnson, because he's already on the list...

Michael Jordan at point? No.

frizbo72
07-22-2008, 09:23 AM
I know why they ranked the top 5 the way they did but I feel by the individual numbers that Stockton should be higher. Magic is the greatest we all know that but he played with the Lakers in their prime with a whole line up of Hall of famers. Oscar was great Thomas I don't believe is better then Stockton. Stockton didn't win the championships but he made the playoffs every year with mediocare teams. He didnt have players to make him look good but he made them look good. (Mailman) He also owns more individual records that will NEVER be broken and played many years at the highest level. What a stud and feel bad he is put here at 4 because of never winning the big game. But that is the way the NBA is.

BullySixChicago
07-22-2008, 09:41 AM
1. Magic Johnson: Anybody with any kind of basketball credibility would put Magic Johnson in their top 5 all time greatest list thus making it real simple to name him as the greatest point guard in league history. He changed the NBA and behind Michael Jordan he might be the most significant player to the NBA being the global success that it is today. In his prime he put up stats that no other player in league history accomplished including a remarkable 23.9 points 12.2 assists and 6.3 rebounds in 1987. He is 1 of only 5 players in NBA history who have averaged 12 assist or more for a season and 3 of those players did it only one time in their career (Isiah Thomas, Kevin Johnson, Kevin Porter). Magic averaged over 12 assist an outstanding 6 times in his career (averaged 11.92 in 1988 just missing 7 times). He is by far the most accomplished point guard in league history. He won 5 championships, 3 MVPís, 3 finals MVPís, 2 All Star MVPís, 12 All Star Selections, All NBA 1st Team 9 times, and an Olympic Gold Medal.

2. Oscar Robertson: The ďBig OĒ had statistical seasons that no other player in history has done or ever will do. Robertson is the only player in NBA history to average a triple double for an entire season (1962). He retired as the all time leader in assists a feat that he held for 17 years (He is 4th currently). He averaged over 30 points a game 6 times, over 9 assists a game 9 times, and over 9 rebounds a game 5 times. He was the only player not named Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell to win a MVP between 1960-1968 winning in 1964. After playing on a Mediocre Cincinnati Royals team his first 10 seasons he teamed up with Lew Alcindor (later to known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar) on the Milwaukee Bucks to win the NBA title in 1971. He was a 12 time all star, and won the all star MVP award 3 times (61, 64, 69). Oscar was All NBA 1st team 9 times in his remarkable career.

3. Isiah Thomas: The greatest little man that this game has ever seen was Isiah Thomas. However, with his small frame he possessed one of the biggest hearts the league has ever seen as well. He was the leader of the Piston Bad Boys teams that changed the style of basketball in the late 80ís and early 90ís. Thomas was an explosive scorer yet an efficient floor leader. He averaged an astounding 21.2 points and 13.9 assists in 1985 (only John Stockton has had more total assists in one season). Has the distinction of being able to say that he beat Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird in the playoffs. He won 2 championships, a Finals MVP (1990), and was a 12 time all star winning the all star MVP twice.

4. John Stockton: If I was explaining the game to a novice, and I wanted to use an example of the perfect prototype point guard then John Stockton would be that example. John Stockton had no flaws in his game and absolutely mastered the position. He was so smart that he was still able to be one of the top point guards in the league at 40 years old. His 15,806 assists record along with Wilt Chamberlainís rebounding record (23,924) are the two most unbreakable career records in NBA history. Stockton is also the all time leader in steals. He was a 10 time all star winning the game MVP in 1993. He played in the NBA Finals twice and advanced to the conference finals 5 times. He is the only player in history with at least 19,000 career points and 10,000 career assists. He played every game of the season a remarkable 17 times out of his 19 seasons.

5. Bob Cousy: The Houdini of the Hardwood as he was known in his day was the original Magic. Cousy was way ahead of his time in terms of his skills and play making abilities. Historically, he was instrumental in keeping an infant NBA alive because of his ability to draw fans with his crowd pleasing style. He is 1 of 8 players in history to record 16,000 points and 6,000 assists (He was just shy of 17,000 and 7,000 for his career). He is the all time assist leader in Boston Celtics history. Cousy was a 13 time all star winning the MVP of the game twice. He won a remarkable 6 NBA Championships during his illustrious NBA career.

6. Gary Payton: Known as ďThe GloveĒ Gary Payton is one of the greatest competitors of his generation. He was known as a great defender and in 1996 became the only point guard in history to win Defensive Player Of The Year. Payton and Oscar Robertson are the only players ever to record 21,000 points and 8,000 assist (Payton was 24 assist short of 9,000). He led the Seattle Sonics to the NBA Finals in 1996 and played in two other Finals series winning it all in 2006 with Miami. He was an all star 9 times in his career. He averaged 20 points or more 7 times which is the second most of any point guard behind Oscar Robertson.

7. Walt Frazier: Maybe the coolest and most stylish player in NBA history, Walt Frazier epitomized those characteristics during his NBA career. He was perhaps the first pure scoring point guard of the league. He had a tremendous ability to score in bunches in big games. He doesnít have the career numbers of other guys on this list because of injuries toward the end of his career, but he had many fantastic playoff performances which carries a lot of weight when measuring greatness. He won 2 NBA championships with the Knicks during the early 70ís, and is probably best known for having the best game 7 performance in Finals history with 36 points 19 assist and 5 steals. He was a 7 time all star winning the all star game MVP in 1975.

8. Jason Kidd: Jason Kidd will go down as the best point guard of this decade. A floor general and stat stuffer Kidd is 3rd all time in triple doubles with an amazing 100 total. He is currently 5th all time in assist and should retire as the second all time leader in assists behind John Stockton. He revitalized a proverbial losing New Jersey Nets franchise into a winner making consecutive NBA Finals appearances in 2002 and 2003. He won an Olympic Gold Medal in 2000 in Sydney. He is an 8 time all star, and was All NBA 1ST team 5 times, and all NBA Defensive 1st team 4 times.

9. Lenny Wilkens: Lenny Wilkens is the all time leader in coaching wins in NBA history but what many people donít know is that he was an all time great point guard as well. He is one of 6 players in NBA history with 17,000 points and 7,000 assists, and is currently 10th all time in assist for a career. He came in second place in MVP voting behind Wilt Chamberlain in 1968. He was a 9 time all star and won the all star game MVP in 1971. In his prime he would average about 20 points and 9 assist a game almost every year. Wilkens is probably one of the top 5 left handed players in NBA history.

10. Steve Nash: Steve Nash along with the top 2 players on this list (Magic and Oscar) are the only point guards with MVPís on their resume, and Magic is the only other multiple MVP winner. Nash is 15th all time in assists and is on pace to finish in the top 6 or 7 if healthy. Only 5 players have averaged more that his 11.6 assists in 2007. He is a 6 time all star, and is a 3 time all NBA 1st team member. He is known for making other players better while still producing himself. Led the Phoenix Suns to the biggest turn around in NBA history in 2005 (record was passed by Boston this year).

Honorable Mention:

* Nate Archibald: Would be top 10 had not injuries stolen many of his prime years.
* Kevin Johnson: Injury plagued career after turning 27 hurt a very promising career.
* Tim Hardaway: Again, injuries prevented him from being a top 10 point guard. I see as a laker fan you would say Magic was the best ever but since I saw the Big O career I can tell you that I ave some basketball knowledge and that sue you had the O as the second best guard but he in my opinion is the best ever and you validated that by stating his statistics. I happen to see magic whole career as well and the difference is that magic could not guard his own mama while the O was considered a both end player and to that was the difference. On offense I see a big difference in scoring while the O was a much better scorer he was also just as good dishing out assists as well. If you avg The O first 5 years in the nba you will see that he avg a triple double did the magic man do that? No! As for having payton ahead of Frazier apparently you never saw Walt play as good as some people say payton was a defensive stopper Walt was even better, and offensively he was better, I just think that if you saw these players than maybe you would not just be going on stats, furthermore You left off one player the Pistol Pete, he was by far way better than payton. I like your list, it has the better points but because you are a laker fan to make Magic the best ever is certainly your choice but The Big O you had to see him play to know what I mean.

barreleffact
07-22-2008, 09:41 AM
why isnt derrick rose on this list yet?

Renegade
07-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Good list.
Kudos to the honorable mention on KJ.

Mile High Champ
07-22-2008, 10:06 AM
If Nash had only plaed more earlier in his career. He only came into his own when he got to phoenix.

awr0430
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Pistol Pete?

C-Webb
07-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I am not sure who has to be removed, but Pistol Pete needs to be on this list.

Agreed with earlier comments, that if we had seen Big "O" play, he is probably the number 1. The guy averaged a triple double. Averaged.

BigEric
07-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Chris Paul and Deron Williams will be considered two of the greats when their careers are done.

phlp_bj
07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
hey iodine, can u look at your messages? we have some trade offers

Iodine
07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
duh mike james

Mike James isnt a Point guard before he was born he said he was a PF or Point forward gawd

Iodine
07-22-2008, 01:34 PM
hey iodine, can u look at your messages? we have some trade offers

STALKER!!

and yeah will do

lakers4sho
07-22-2008, 01:43 PM
I know why they ranked the top 5 the way they did but I feel by the individual numbers that Stockton should be higher. Magic is the greatest we all know that but he played with the Lakers in their prime with a whole line up of Hall of famers. Oscar was great Thomas I don't believe is better then Stockton. Stockton didn't win the championships but he made the playoffs every year with mediocare teams. He didnt have players to make him look good but he made them look good. (Mailman) He also owns more individual records that will NEVER be broken and played many years at the highest level. What a stud and feel bad he is put here at 4 because of never winning the big game. But that is the way the NBA is.

Mediocre teams? The Jazz are nowhere near mediocre buddy :D

And that Jazz team WAS a championship team. Unfortunately, they had to face the mighty Bulls, so they lost. But I believe that the Jazz can beat ANY other team in a 7 game series.

As far as accomplishments go, remember that Stockton played 20 years in the league. Had Magic, Oscar, etc, play 20 years as well, I definitely think that they will produce more numbers than Stockton.

frizbo72
07-22-2008, 03:28 PM
As far as accomplishments go, remember that Stockton played 20 years in the league. Had Magic, Oscar, etc, play 20 years as well, I definitely think that they will produce more numbers than Stockton.[/QUOTE]

You said it right there. He did it at that high of a level for that long. That is an accomplishment right there to vault him into the top two.