PDA

View Full Version : Team USA's competition

FOBolous
07-22-2008, 03:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=TeamUSA-080721

Expectations in the homeland during an eight-year gold-medal drought have not been totally, truly tempered by American failures at the past three major international tournaments: the 2006 World Championship (bronze medal), the 2004 Athens Olympics (bronze medal) and the 2002 World Championship (sixth place), which will keep the pressure on these guys at a zenith throughout the Olympics.

And so while gold is the quest and the expectation, it is not a lock.

Spain is the defending world champion. The Spanish have size (Pau and Marc Gasol, Jorge Garbajosa), talent at both backcourt positions (Jose Calderon and Juan Carlos Navarro), role players who can play inside and outside (Rudy Fernandez), and a teenage backup point guard (Ricky Rubio) who has already drawn comparisons to Pistol Pete Maravich.

Argentina is the defending Olympic champion, led by the NBA's reigning sixth man, Manu Ginobili, and is the only nation to have defeated the United States twice (2002 Worlds, 2004 Olympics).

Russia is the standing European champion, with a tall and long front line that includes Andrei Kirilenko and former NBA players Viktor Khryapa and Nikita Morgunov, not to mention an American point guard (J.R. Holden) and an American coach (David Blatt).

Lithuania is always tough, and Greece just rolled into the Olympics in the last-chance qualifier tournament and was then placed with Germany (led by Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Kaman) in the U.S. team's preliminary-round Olympic group. (The third team to qualify, Croatia, was drawn into Group A with Argentina, Lithuania, Russia, Iran and Australia.)

anyone else feeling a little nervous after reading about the other teams? I think Spain is going going to be dangerous and is definitely a team to watch out for. I also think German's front line of Nowitzki and Kaman is going to give us problems :ohno: can't wait for the Oylmpics...it's going to be good :D I think I'm more excited about the upcoming Olympics than i was for the NBA Finals before the Finals started.

arlubas
07-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Germany ain't a contender, they will go as far as Dirk takes them but with only one player you don't get anywhere. Kaman was a big help for them but I can see them as a 3rd place team at the very best, don't think they have a contender status.

Spain on the other hand is an amazing team, no doubt. They are stacked on all positions and they play as a team which is the most important thing when you have talented guys on all positions. Imo they are the clear favorite for the gold metal.

Chronz
07-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Will China ever produce a backcourt that can break the press, I feel bad for Yao, I still remember when he carried them a few years back, he was so proud.

FOBolous
07-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Will China ever produce a backcourt that can break the press, I feel bad for Yao, I still remember when he carried them a few years back, he was so proud.

probably not. I think Yao was an anomaly...all the other Chinese players suck. The guards can't even bring the ball pass the half court line against Team USA. as for Yi...i think he's going to be a solid starter on a team at best averaging around 13 points again and that's not going to happen until another year or two so yeeea....I feel bad for Yao. And what makes me feel even worse for Yao is that he gets criticized in China for getting frustrated with people saying that all the fame is getting to his head :mad:

njnets
07-22-2008, 01:11 PM
spanish teams are usually decent. with both gasols, a couple of guards, and one or two shooters, i see them contending. USA has the most talent but how to mesh it together is the question.

NYMets27
07-22-2008, 01:16 PM
dont get me wrong it looks like spain has a really great rostor to contend but this year we really got a chip on our shoulder and i just feel that we r gonna run every one out of the gym.

ink
07-22-2008, 01:31 PM
dont get me wrong it looks like spain has a really great rostor to contend but this year we really got a chip on our shoulder and i just feel that we r gonna run every one out of the gym.

I agree. I really like Spain because I like Calderon, but I don't even think it will be close when the roster of American NBA stars commits themselves to teamwork and defence. They destroyed the opposition in the FIBA qualifier because everyone checked their egos at the door. They're super talented, and they are formidable because they have learned the lesson of playing as a team and playing the roles they're given.

bogdanrom
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
The only thing I have to say is that we better win gold because if we don't there will be a lot of problems. Can you picture newspapers everywhere saying Dream Team Defeated.

Joshtd1
07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Argentina will be a pretty good team as well, them along with Spain will be the biggest threats to U.S.A. imo.

FOBolous
07-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Argentina will be a pretty good team as well, them along with Spain will be the biggest threats to U.S.A. imo.

who's playing for Argentina other than Ginobili?

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Spain's roster is crazy good

ink
07-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Spain's roster is crazy good

The games against the USA are going to be good.

pebloemer
07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
who's playing for Argentina other than Ginobili?

Scola, Nocioni, Delfino, Oberto, Hermann would be the other NBAer's. I believe they are all on the roster this year.

Greece interests me too, they should be good.

SHONIE
07-22-2008, 03:12 PM
...The USA's roster is crazy.

I think that almost any NBA team could beat any non-US olympic team. The Celtics, Lakers, Hornets, Rockets, Jazz, Cavs, etc etc etc. All of them (assuming they had their entire roster i.e. Pau still on the Lakers, Yao still on the Rockets) could beat any foreign team.

Its just a matter of chemistry. Thats how we've lost these other tournaments.

FOBolous
07-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Scola, Nocioni, Delfino, Oberto, Hermann would be the other NBAer's. I believe they are all on the roster this year.

Greece interests me too, they should be good.

wow.

fairandbalanced
07-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Yadayadayadayada.........our 6th man will be the best player on any other team. You figure.

SwaggaIke
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
That Spain roster is stacked. But I think we got this. I've been watchin the Road to Redemption specials and they look too focused. I think we will see some great basketball from Team USA. They have the talent to be the real Dream Team 2. I can't wait until Friday, I hope we clown on Canada.

sanfranfan1210
07-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Spain is going to be real good

FOBolous
07-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Yadayadayadayada.........our 6th man will be the best player on any other team. You figure.

is that why Team USA has not been able to win the Gold in any international competition for the past 8 years?

SwaggaIke
07-23-2008, 01:01 AM
is that why Team USA has not been able to win the Gold in any international competition for the past 8 years?

But look at how much better we've gotten over the course of those 8 years. The '04 olympics weren't a team. Duncan couldn't stay out of foul trouble, Marbury was depended on to do something he's not capable of doing (winning). A.I was probably the best player we had over there. D Wade, LeBron and Melo saw fluctuating minutes because of Larry Browns vet bias. Amare hadn't even developed his game yet. Odom? Okafor? We lost to Greece in the semi's of the World Championships and had a chance to beat them. Our immaturity showed. Last summer w/ the additions of Kidd and Bryant, we ran through the competition to secure our olympic berth. Now? The guys are more focused than ever. Most of our core is even better. Dwight's post skills have developed a little more. LeBron has risen to a new level w/ the killer instinct. Melo remains one of the most dangerous players in the league. D Wade healthier than he's ever been in his career. Bosh better, Boozer better, Kobe Bryant coming off an MVP season, D Will much improved, Chris Paul coming off a turning point season, 2nd in MVP voting. Our core players are all improved from last year. The coaches have already said the guys are more focused than ever and have realized that its all about the US. They have chemistry and they all like each other. That's the perfect combination to bring it back home. We will reclaim the gold.

cambovenzi
07-23-2008, 01:41 AM

its single elim brackets.
even the greatest of teams can lose sometimes.

and this is not a 2004 olympic mediocre team.
they have kobe and loads of other great stars.

Jay22Redd
07-23-2008, 01:46 AM
.........USA is going to KILL!!!!!!!!!!

NYMets27
07-23-2008, 03:06 AM
just watch the first game there gonna go in and go crazy....thewre gonna get some blood in there mouths (figuratively) and i think they could beat evry team by 20 points

SAVAGE CLAW
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
USA Should dominate this time, Argentina has grown old and Spain has changed the Coach after an ugly dispute, this may have disrupted the chemistry.

spurhead
07-23-2008, 11:41 PM
im not scared of any other country
USA has the best players by far and they will win a gold
if they lose to argentina with jus nocioni and ginobili dats pathetic.
scola and oberto arent even that good lol

it comes down to chemistry and im pretty sure team USA has good chemistry

FOBolous
07-24-2008, 12:12 AM
it seems like a lot of you underestimate other country's teams. good thing the players on Team USA doesn't share yall's sentiment because that cockiness is one of the biggest reason why Team USA hasn't been able to win the Gold for the past 8 years.

SwaggaIke
07-24-2008, 12:24 AM
it seems like a lot of you underestimate other country's teams. good thing the players on Team USA doesn't share yall's sentiment because that cockiness is one of the biggest reason why Team USA hasn't been able to win the Gold for the past 8 years.

Or maybe the fact that we didn't have a cohesive unit in '04? A floor leader? Larry Brown was the leader in '04 and that was pitiful. We had no chemistry and two incidents before we even started play. And still was a game away from winning it all.

spurhead
07-24-2008, 12:47 AM

lol you make it seem as the usa is in a big drought
team USA didnt win agold in 2004 we all know that but they did win in 2000
it has only been 1 championships since our last gold and im pretty sure we've won 3 gold medals in a row prior to 2004 .
and 2004 wasnt agood team wit a bad head coach and too many young players
just one bad run and everyone is panicking? wow
and dont even say other countries have a good chance of winning bcuz they dont
USA has far more elite players and dats not from a biased view
btw the US has won 12 gold medals out of the 15 olympic games for yur understanding with 1 silver and 2 bronze

2004 was a example of how sometimes being too over confident can hurt you as showed by team USA winning only abronze medal. we were too used to dominating every olympics and winning every year that other countries caught us asleep. now that we are awake, team USA has done a great job of reassuring they will win a gold medal this year and im 99% sure they will

#1Mavericksfan
07-24-2008, 05:16 AM
I want the USA to play Argentina again this time hopefully it will be a different outcome.