PDA

View Full Version : Dime Magazine calls out Superstars: 1st on the list is Vince Carter

JordansBulls
07-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Source: DimeMag (http://dimemag.com/2008/07/the-loser-list-vince-carter/)

Who are those players that perpetually find themselves catching more significant L’s than W’s? For the next couple weeks we’ll be calling them out one at a time:

VINCE CARTER

Numbers: 31 years old, 10 NBA seasons, 23.8 points per game, 5.5 rebounds, 4.2 assists.

Highest high: Gold medal in the 2000 Olympics. Vince was Team USA’s leading scorer at 14.8 points per, and of course he did this.

Lowest low: In ‘02-03, injuries limited Vince to just 43 games with the Raptors, and the team went 24-58. Carter’s 20.6 scoring average was the lowest of his career since his rookie year.

History of losing
Everything was going fine for Vince Carter until May 20, 2001, when his Raptors faced Game 7 in the 2001 Eastern Conference Semifinals. As fate would have it, graduation ceremonies at UNC were scheduled the same morning as the do-or-die game in Philly. In a controversial move, Vince decided to take a private jet to graduation, then fly back before the game. Despite putting up 20 points, 7 rebounds, 9 assists and 3 steals that night (plus missing a potential game-winner) in a one-point loss, Vince never lived down the questions that he wasn’t totally committed to winning. Soon after, once knee and other leg injuries started to become a factor, Vince started getting accused of playing soft — settling for jump shots when he could drive the lane to create easier baskets and/or get to the free throw line. He’s also accused often of faking or milking injuries; he’s been seen laughing and joking with opponents in the middle of games where his team is losing; he sometimes openly sulks on the court when things aren’t going his way; and if you watch VC in pre-game warmups, he doesn’t look like a guy who’s focused on the task at hand. Finally, and most damaging, Vince admitted during a national TV interview that he didn’t play his hardest all the time. Although it’s since been argued that his words were taken out of context, the perception of him hasn’t changed.

Will he ever be a winner?
Vince can give you 20-25 points a night, he’s hit numerous game-winning or game-tying shots in the final seconds, and he hits his free throws. He’s not not a clutch player, and he’s going to be the most talented player on most teams he plays for, but he won’t ever reach the pinnacle if he’s the alpha dog or “leader” of a team. At this point, the best scenario for Vince would be playing a role similar to the one Rip Hamilton plays in Detroit. He can be his team’s top scorer, but he’ll have to be bolstered by a veteran-laden group around him that plays solid defense, and there’s a strong-willed coach and lead guard who will take charge on the court and in the locker room. If all VC has to do is get buckets (within the system) and play somewhat-adequate defense, he can win a championship as an impact player.

Sort of a harsh article for someone like Vince Carter.

But I'd still take him on my team.

daleja424
07-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Wade had better not make this list for having one injury prone losing season after leading his team to the playoffs 4 of 5 years in the league (ECF twice and 1 Championship)

BADizzleBoY
07-21-2008, 11:09 PM
damn.. that was harsh.

JIDsanity
07-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Lol another Carter thread, for Canadians to spew hate at him.

carter15
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
they didnt really call him out....only one thing in that whole article is "bad" which is that he admitted to not playing 100% every game..and when ur team is 24-58 or wtv i dont blame him as i expect most players would in that situation if they didnt just shut it down for the season as other superstars do.

JordansBulls
07-21-2008, 11:19 PM
they didnt really call him out....only one thing in that whole article is "bad" which is that he admitted to not playing 100% every game..and when ur team is 24-58 or wtv i dont blame him as i expect most players would in that situation if they didnt just shut it down for the season as other superstars do.

I actually like Vince Carter as a player, but in that article they did call him out, just look at the title.

WilymoPena
07-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Hate the Nets, think Vince Carter is overrated, but still he's def a superstar. Maybe not elite but there are alot of guys that wish they had half the game he does. This article is bogus, he didn't put the teams he was on together all he can do is go out there and play his game.

BADizzleBoY
07-21-2008, 11:29 PM
I actually like Vince Carter as a player, but in that article they did call him out, just look at the title.

lol good point.

JIDsanity
07-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Hate the Nets, think Vince Carter is overrated, but still he's def a superstar. Maybe not elite but there are alot of guys that wish they had half the game he does. This article is bogus, he didn't put the teams he was on together all he can do is go out there and play his game.

Thanks , I think.

carter15
07-21-2008, 11:38 PM

ya well they called him out but didnt support it very well....i should of actually said neone who calls VC out or tries to cannot win...cuz the truth is the things that he is critisized for are mostly blown outta proportion

i think the critisizing is coming from VC's lack of a championship

ink
07-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Lol another Carter thread, for Canadians to spew hate at him.

I know. It gets over the top about VC. But I thought the hope given at the end of the article was surprisingly positive. I wonder what you (being a Nets fan) really think of him. In honesty, would you say that he delivers as a player?

$ NyC $
07-21-2008, 11:49 PM
i agree..

im a VC fan but sometimes it seems as if he settles...like if he really wanted 2 he could be a beast STILL and average over 24 ppg..

him and curry should b on the same team...2 players who dont play 2 the full extent of their potential/abilities

JIDsanity
07-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I know. It gets over the top about VC. But I thought the hope given at the end of the article was surprisingly positive. I wonder what you (being a Nets fan) really think of him. In honesty, would you say that he delivers as a player?

Honestly, he does some of the dumbest **** I've seen during games. But he is one of those scorers. I cant describe it, it's kinda like the same way Nash would risk any type of pass, If Carter sees a way to score no matter how awkward, or how far from the basket he is he will try it . If you want him to put up bigger scoring numbers he'll do it. He wants to win, but if the rest of his team doesn't show up he won't most of the time. He likes getting other players involved, really team oriented. Does actually play average D, but if he's mad he'll play better than average and most likely get in foul trouble. Has Showed better leadership, if you like your Capitan coming down hard on your young players.
One thing I forgot to mention is that he takes a backseat other players around him, but make no mistake he's a superstar Not as good as the Kobe's and LeBron's obliviously, but he does everything.

carter15
07-21-2008, 11:50 PM

i no you werent speaking directly to me lol but im still gonna answer...

now to let everyone know right away im a diehard VC fan and i love the team he plays on..therefore was the raptors..and now im dedicated to the Nets and if he ever gets traded again or changes teams another way...that will be my new fav. team

now to answer your question he 100% delivers as a player..i dont rly c how it can be argued against....just look at his career numbers..and last season he put up 21 5 5 (1 of only 3 players to do so i believe) and he was injured all season long.

so the numbers r definately there and i also think he delivers as a leader....he carries the team he is on offensively and is never shy to take the big shot (which he often makes) i think hes unfairly critisized that he cant be a leader of a team because he did exactly that with a team in Toronto who had Antonio Davis and Mo-Pete has the other best players?!

carter15
07-21-2008, 11:52 PM
i agree..

im a VC fan but sometimes it seems as if he settles...like if he really wanted 2 he could be a beast STILL and average over 24 ppg..

him and curry should b on the same team...2 players who dont play 2 the full extent of their potential/abilities

i think hell be over the 24 ppg mark next year and would of been last year had it not been for his injury

mjt20mik
07-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Actually this article is very true. VC is extremely talented, but he just doesn't give it his all every night, which is such a disappointment.

JIDsanity
07-21-2008, 11:56 PM
i no you werent speaking directly to me lol but im still gonna answer...

now to let everyone know right away im a diehard VC fan and i love the team he plays on..therefore was the raptors..and now im dedicated to the Nets and if he ever gets traded again or changes teams another way...that will be my new fav. team

now to answer your question he 100% delivers as a player..i dont rly c how it can be argued against....just look at his career numbers..and last season he put up 21 5 5 (1 of only 3 players to do so i believe) and he was injured all season long.

so the numbers r definately there and i also think he delivers as a leader....he carries the team he is on offensively and is never shy to take the big shot (which he often makes) i think hes unfairly critisized that he cant be a leader of a team because he did exactly that with a team in Toronto who had Antonio Davis and Mo-Pete has the other best players?!

Yep

JIDsanity
07-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Actually this article is very true. VC is extremely talented, but he just doesn't give it his all every night, which is such a disappointment.

Where'd you get your sig

yiformvp
07-22-2008, 12:21 AM
as a net fan i think he delivers big time

Knowledge
07-22-2008, 12:56 AM
If the question is if Vince carter is more talented than the numbers he has put up over his career than the answer is yes. But he is still a great player and just hasnt been apart of a championship caliber team.

No one can win a championship by them self. Even the best players need other players who great to help them win. Vince Carter may not be on the bests level, but he is great nonetheless.

as a net fan i think he delivers big time
im not a Nets fan but if I was i would be very confident with Vince taking the last shot to win any game.

Chronz
07-22-2008, 01:10 AM
I swear if they have Vince on this list then they better add J-Kidd. He was doing no better than VC was on this Nets team, he just bolted to a better one. I agree with the synopsis and their evaluation of how good of an impact player Vince could be but thats still pretty damn good. I have high hopes for Vince but it seems I do every year and nothing changes.

ink
07-22-2008, 01:18 AM
I swear if they have Vince on this list then they better add J-Kidd. He was doing no better than VC was on this Nets team, he just bolted to a better one. I agree with the synopsis and their evaluation of how good of an impact player Vince could be but thats still pretty damn good. I have high hopes for Vince but it seems I do every year and nothing changes.

That's why I said the end of the synopsis was surprisingly positive. I'm sure there are a lot of fans who wouldn't expect him to be an impact player no matter what team he's on. I've seen too many games where he disappears.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Vince used to be a BEAST tho...

BADizzleBoY
07-22-2008, 01:28 AM
yeah in like 2004 lol.

Jwizel_hitshrs
07-22-2008, 01:41 AM
BOO VC

He will never win anything for doing what he did to T.O before leaving!

No Class

tkshy
07-22-2008, 02:20 AM
If VC would have convinced TMac to stay in TO they would have won a championship. I remember reading an article in Stuff and that is what Kobe said. Think about TMAC leads and VC follows (which VC would rather do) Point guards would want to sign in TO, because they have two guys who can finish, add a couple of rebounding defensive minded PF and C's and you have, well you have the Bulls of the 90's (MJ better then TMAC, but VC better then Pippen...maybe, but you see where I am going)

getyopopcornrdy
07-22-2008, 02:26 AM
i bet t-mac is on this list

FOBolous
07-22-2008, 02:51 AM
some of the stuff said about Vince Carter in the article reminds of me Tmac

arlubas
07-22-2008, 03:28 AM
some of the stuff said about Vince Carter in the article reminds of me Tmac

He might be next on the list, you never know. Then again having him above Vince on the list would be somewhat unfair.

As for VC, the guy just needed a veteran beside him that would be devoted to winning. A guy like Chauncey Billups or Tim Duncan for example would drive Vince's game to new heights, I'm sure. But like someone else said before, if he sees his team slumping then he quits the game as well.

But I can't be mad at him no matter what he does. He has provided all NBA fans with countless amazing plays and enjoyable moments and was one of the most exciting players ever imo. Plus I can trully understand it if someone just loses his interest in having basketball as his life. People grow up and change and what was once the only thing you thought about all day (basketball) could turn into a less important part of your life. Vince really seems like a cool guy off the floor as well which is another reason why I like his as a character.

JordansBulls
07-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Kidd led his team to the finals twice though.

AFlagRules
07-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I have to admit, those years were the most exciting, most thrilling Raptor days i ever saw. Vince Carter knew how to lift you off your seat and how to win. That day in 2001, i watched the game at the mall right before church started and i saw him miss the shot.

In the end, hes turned into the Softest player. Perhaps the most talented one currently in the NBA, but he doesn't have heart or that extra effort that EVERY single winner has. VC will never win, unless he plays on a stacked team like Mitch Richmond did at the end of his career.

argo
07-22-2008, 07:47 PM
VC's no doubt one the the most talented players in the game.

But is he worth it, having one of the best guys on your team who doesn't seem to care about winning or losing? The attitude of your best player always rubs off on the rest of the team. He's been accused of some aweful things in TO - like telling the other team what play his team was running at the end of a close game!?

I don't care how talented the guy is... I'd never want him on the team I support.

Chronz
07-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Kidd led his team to the finals twice though.
So players who used to be great and are still considered to be Superstars arent criticized anymore? Im not really understanding their criteria