PDA

View Full Version : Prince Fielder or Kevin Youkilis

TmacYao2
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Who is the better 1B Today?

GHGHCP
07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Prince has better career numbers. Youk is having a better year now, but its most likely a fluke. Hes also much older then Fielder.

I'll take Fielder if I had a choice between the two.

sanfranfan1210
07-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I'll take Fielder

Tragedy
07-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Prince has better career numbers. Youk is having a better year now, but its most likely a fluke. Hes also much older then Fielder.

The only thing that could be considered a "fluke" would be Youk's power numbers, because they're higher than what he's done in the past. Otherwise, his BA is right around what it should be.

To answer the question though, Fielder.

BigEric
07-22-2008, 12:22 AM
I'd take Youk, because he can play more than 1 position and is very consistant. Prince is more of the franchise player though.

ZHawk1123
07-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Youk... More consistent... Plays GG defense at both corner infield spots as well...

GBG2489
07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Of course, the Granite Staters and Mass-holes will all say Youk.

ZHawk1123
07-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Probably because we watch him play and actually know what he can bring to a team...

If I was starting a franchise... I'd obviously pick Prince.

But if I am looking for a good first basemen... I'd definitely take Youk over Prince...

BigEric
07-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Probably because we watch him play and actually know what he can bring to a team...

If I was starting a franchise... I'd obviously pick Prince.

But if I am looking for a good first basemen... I'd definitely take Youk over Prince...

Exactly what I'm saying. People make threads comparing someone to a Red Sox player, and they just want us to pick against the Sox. Yeah Prince is much more talented, and is a better power threat but Youk is a much more consistant player and puts his heart into every AB.

bagwell368
07-22-2008, 10:06 PM
well at first it seems obvious - PF

but then when you consider that PF will end up making a lot more cash then Youk, his career may be shorter...

Youk is a GG 1B and a decent 3B, while PF is not so hot

Youk runs hard but is slow, PF is just slow.

Youk is also a total headache to pitchers. with his OBP he should hit higher in the order.

still, I'll take PF, but by a lot smaller margin then seems immediately obvious

quiksilver2491
07-22-2008, 10:43 PM

And last year was Fielders only good year. Of course everyone is going to pick Fielder and call Red Sox fans homers for trying to defend Youk but before you do that take a glance at the numbers. Fluke......maybe you can call it that but the guy's OBP has remained consistent since he entered the league and he finally is putting up consitent batting numbers to go with it. A gold glove first baseman with a 144 OPS+ is nothing to scoff at. If I had to take a first basemen for a team already assembled such as the Red Sox I go with Youkilis, if I want a good number 4 hitter for an up and coming team like the Brewers you go with Fielder. He asked for the better first basemen TODAY so that is why im picking Youk, if he worded it any other way I would have no choice but to pick Fielder.

AirJordanXVIII
07-23-2008, 06:11 PM
It's not gonna work with all these Red Sox fans.... but I say Fielder. Plain and simple. YOu dont look for a a defensive player in a 1st baseman although it would be nice.... 1st basemen jobs are just to drive in the runs usually.

quiksilver2491
07-23-2008, 09:27 PM
It's not gonna work with all these Red Sox fans.... but I say Fielder. Plain and simple. YOu dont look for a a defensive player in a 1st baseman although it would be nice.... 1st basemen jobs are just to drive in the runs usually.

There is no specific job given to each position, order of the lineup determines this usually. Fielder bats in the middle of the order and plays in a stacked lineup, of course he will get more RBIs then Youkilis. Im not going to question your baseball knowledge because im really not too familiar with your post history and that wouldn't be fair on your part. Again we can remain knowledgeable here and look at the numbers and see that Youkilis has been the better offensive player, or we could remain ignorant and say Red Sox fans are homers and just judge their production on RBI's, HR's etc, either way works I guess :shrug:

belliard is god
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
fielder

JHG722
07-24-2008, 04:57 AM
Youk.

ZHawk1123
07-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Prince Fielder

SPLITS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Season 99 367 54 101 17 2 20 58 48 79 2 0 .275 .365 .496 .861

Kevin Youkilis

SPLITS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Season 94 350 61 109 25 4 17 68 35 65 3 4 .311 .381 .551 .932

As of right now... The numbers are pretty one sided to be honest with you... Especially in terms of AVG OBP SLG and OPS (matters most)

Also has more RBI... Which is weird cause I think I read above that it is the first basemans job to drive in runs... It appears to me that Youk has 10 more RBI... Strange...

People need to do their homework before they vote on these things...

Oh yeah... And he is a GG first baseman...