PDA

View Full Version : Urlacher signs long term with Bears

redsox12
07-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Bears and Brian Urlacher have agreed to a restructured contract which will keep the middle linebacker in Chicago through 2012.

rotoworld

cubbiesin07
07-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Bears and Brian Urlacher agree to an extension through 2012. This came across the ticker on espn. I couldn't find a link and they didn't say how much more money he'll get.

redsox12
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
here you go

Bears and Brian Urlacher agreed to a restructured contract which will keep the middle linebacker in Chicago through 2012.
Assuming he isn't cut before then. The new deal pays Urlacher a $6 million to sign and a $1 million salary raise in each of the next four years. In 2012, he can make $8 million, including a $500,000 workout bonus, making it essentially a new five-year, $43.5 million deal. Urlacher, 30, may not the see the end of the deal (he'll be 34 when it ends), but it keeps him happy for now.

rotoworld

Coach100
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Great idea! More money committed to an aging MLB that has chronic back/neck problems.

Don't get me wrong, I love Urlacher and think he is the best defensive football player in the NFL, but he was getting loads of money for long enough. No need to guarantee more of that money when he may start breaking down. And he wasn't going to hold out, so I say the Bears should have called his bluff.

Swish-Cab-Ob
07-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Great, he'll be an old man...All well, I'm glad that this is resolved.

Fuselage
07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm glad it's resolved & the story won't drag out for much longer, but it gives me an unsettled feeling that the contracts aren't worth anything. We think we've got Harris for the next five years, but what if he thinks he's outplayed his contract in three years? What about the contract we're waiting on for Hester? He stands a huge chance of outplaying whatever contract he signs, so what's it worth? What's the point?

I love 54 & I'm glad it's resolved, but it sets a pretty scary precedent.

chicagowhitesox
07-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Finally.

HOWE do i do it
07-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Nice. Devin's next.

Cubsfan162512
07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3499320

ChiCubs54
07-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Good news. Hopefully he Bears can sign Hester to an extension soon.

Soop
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Great idea! More money committed to chronic.

I hope he doesn't blow it all on the sticky icky. :smoking:

4cubs
07-21-2008, 06:52 PM
A saving face extension.

I wonder if the marginal increase in pay is worth him going from Icon status as a Bear to money whore.

I can't imagine Walter Peyton whining like Urlacher did. They can no longer be reflected in the same light. :(

Soop
07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
A saving face extension.

I wonder if the marginal increase in pay is worth him going from Icon status as a Bear to money whore.

I can't imagine Walter Peyton whining like Urlacher did. They can no longer be reflected in the same light. :(

He would've mind that you spelled his name wrong. Peyton is a guy that wears a #18 jersey for the Colts.

Get over it already, it's a damn good deal for both parties.

4cubs
07-21-2008, 07:16 PM
He would've mind that you spelled his name wrong. Peyton is a guy that wears a #18 jersey for the Colts.

Get over it already, it's a damn good deal for both parties.Oops...

I'm over it, but he will still forever be tarnished.

CT Bears Fan
07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Oops...

I'm over it, but he will still forever be tarnished.

Only to simple minded fans like you who don't understand that there is a business end to professional football.

dyceman
07-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Nice. Devin's next.

Hopefully...then we can all relax...

4cubs
07-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Only to simple minded fans like you who don't understand that there is a business end to professional football.Good point.

Thanks for pointing out the difference between poverty ($80 million) and security ($85 million).

My mind is simple. Urlacher simply isn't in the same class as Payton (spelled correctly this time).

CT Bears Fan
07-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Good point.

Thanks for pointing out the difference between poverty ($80 million) and security ($85 million).

My mind is simple. Urlacher simply isn't in the same class as Payton.

Poverty? The point is that if you want to tarnish his legacy in your own head over something that has nothing to do with his play on the field, and solely to do with the business end of the sport, then go right ahead. In P"a"yton's day nobodys contract became knowledge through the media, so who knows who squabbled over money back then. Urlacher never held out of training camp, and never let his contract issues affect his play. His legacy is intact as one of the best linebackers to ever suit up in the game of football, no matter which aspect of his career you want to focus on. And if you want to talk poverty against security, you are siding with the billionaires over the millionaire. Calling you simple minded may have been too lenient.

sevanseven
07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
about time. how come its always chicago teams that take FOREVER to sign their essential players????

Soop
07-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Poverty? The point is that if you want to tarnish his legacy in your own head over something that has nothing to do with his play on the field, and solely to do with the business end of the sport, then go right ahead. In P"a"yton's day nobodys contract became knowledge through the media, so who knows who squabbled over money back then. Urlacher never held out of training camp, and never let his contract issues affect his play. His legacy is intact as one of the best linebackers to ever suit up in the game of football, no matter which aspect of his career you want to focus on. And if you want to talk poverty against security, you are siding with the billionaires over the millionaire. Calling you simple minded may have been too lenient.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Good job Connecticut

South Sided
07-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Great idea! More money committed to an aging MLB that has chronic back/neck problems.

Don't get me wrong, I love Urlacher and think he is the best defensive football player in the NFL, but he was getting loads of money for long enough. No need to guarantee more of that money when he may start breaking down. And he wasn't going to hold out, so I say the Bears should have called his bluff.

Slow Down, Football contracts aren't guaranteed so if those back problems flare up then bye bye Ur. So lets, let the man get the money he's worth while he's putting it on the line to lead the team.

superdude79
07-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Now when will Briggs whine about his contract?

Soop
07-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Now when will Briggs whine about his contract?

:confused: He just signed a deal.

I got a better question for you. When will Bears fans stop whining about unnecessary BS?

ChiCubs54
07-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Edit: Oops, sorry.

I'm happy that this whole thing got resolved before Training Camp starts.

chicubs377
07-22-2008, 12:51 AM
nice!

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-22-2008, 09:04 AM

I got a better question for you. When will Bears fans stop whining about unnecessary BS?

In Redeye today they said Briggs was grumbling a little bit but o well.

Question does anyone think that the bears will be paying that final year for 8 million when hes what 34 in 2012?

Bearscubs4life
07-22-2008, 09:58 AM

:cheers: Good call Sooper

Jerry34
07-22-2008, 10:36 AM
According to everbody on the radio this wasn't too bad of a deal for the Bears. So that's good. Now we can get back to football.

Soop
07-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Question does anyone think that the bears will be paying that final year for 8 million when hes what 34 in 2012?
Why not? If he's performing well, there won't be a problem. Especially how much the contracts will be worth then, good deal for everybody.

4cubs
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
This debate is not about Urlacher's talent. He is (was) a great player.

Do you consider the following players' legacies tarnished?

Michael Vick
Pacman
Tank Johnson
T.O.
Ocho Cinco
Ricky Williams

All of them perform on the field.

I am talking about character, not talent.

I am also not siding with billionaires. In case you didn't know genious, there is something called a 'salary cap' in football. Urlacher isn't taking money away from the the owners, he's taking it away from his teammates.

Let's do the math:

Only so much money,
Urlacher gets more = teammates get less

But here I go again, being simple minded.

This wasn't because Urlacher needs the extra money; it's all ego.

PS - When Ryne Sandberg was finally rewarded with the big contract he deserved at the end of his career, he encountered some personal problems and decided to retire early. He had a couple years left on his contract. His contract allowed him to receive all of his money even though he retired. Ryne didn't feel this was fair and gave the remaining money back to the Cubs.

Do you see a difference in the legacy of Urlacher vs Sandberg?

Soop
07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
This debate is not about Urlacher's talent. He is (was) a great player.

Do you consider the following players' legacies tarnished?

Michael Vick
Pacman
Tank Johnson
T.O.
Ocho Cinco
Ricky Williams

All of them perform on the field.

I am talking about character, not talent.

To compare Urlacher to these guys is ridiculous.

Michael Vick, Adam Jones, Tank Johnson, and Ricky Williams all had off the field issues.

Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens have the talent at their respectable positions as Urlacher does at his. The big difference here is they're both head cases with mental problems.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
To compare Urlacher to these guys is ridiculous.

Michael Vick, Adam Jones, Tank Johnson, and Ricky Williams all had off the field issues.

Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens have the talent at their respectable positions as Urlacher does at his. The big difference here is they're both head cases with mental problems.

Urlacher has been paired with Paris Hilton.....nough said