PDA

View Full Version : Are we going into a.......rebuilding phase!?

mgthompson
07-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_9899938)

Let's get real here. The Nuggets were kidding themselves. Sure, they were entertaining, but they weren't going to contend for a title. Not last season, not next season. It sounded good, Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony in the same lineup, but it hasn't worked.

That's when the Nuggets can let Iverson walk and save more than $20 million against their cap. If they don't play that card, they could trade him before or during the season. Either way, that's when they'll start reshaping their roster. That's when it officially becomes Carmelo Anthony's team.

I thought that it was always Melos team even before AI came. Sounds like we are starting over.

Dump AI's salary and start over with the core of Melo, JR, Kleiza and Nene.
Hmmmm.......No.

We need to win now. or just let us fans know officially that we are looking to rebuild.

Is this what y'all are feeling.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
I dont know wat to think about this team anymore. they really need to make a move BEFORE the season starts.

DenButsu
07-21-2008, 06:34 PM
To answer the thread title question, I think we're only partially rebuilding. When you retain 4 of your 6 most important players (Melo, JR, K-Mart, Nene) I really don't think you can call that a total rebuild. More like a restructuring. AI's presence (or absence) on any team is going to make a huge splash, so getting him or losing him is a move that inevitably has a huge impact. Although I don't think losing him will be wholly negative. We'll lose some scoring punch no doubt, and just some of the "fun factor" since he's such an exciting player to watch. But at the same time I think our offensive flow, our team defense and the overall team chemistry will improve almost overnight. Those are less noticeable, but very important, improvements that should go pretty far in offsetting losing AI. Camby on the other hand, I don't think losing him will make that massive of an impact if Nene is actually healthy. That's a big if, and the biggest risk of moving Camby. But if Nene can perform at spring 2007 level consistently, and maybe improve some in the process even, a starting frontcourt lineup of Melo-K-Nene should still be really damn formidable.

As to the other question you're kind of implying - whose team is this, anyways? - Iverson paid a lot of lip service to the Nuggets still being Melo's team when he first showed up in Denver, but he really never played basketball on the court in a supportive capacity. He basically just continued playing the same way he did in Philly (with the exception of some notable games, particularly games in which he mostly played point), dominating the ball and ultimately seizing the leadership mantle of the team regardless of the words coming out of his mouth. I would partly blame Melo for this, because he's hardly been assertive in fashioning himself as a true team leader, especially with his defensive laziness (as one columnist put it once, how can his teammates take it seriously if he gets in their face about their defense when he's not up to par in that area himself?). But the ball domination is the most important factor here, I think. If you have two stars on a team, and one averages about 14 seconds with the ball each possession while the other averages about 6, and the 14 second guy is a primary ball handler while the 6 second guy is not, and the 14 second guy is a legendary NBA veteran while the 6 second guy is basically still as-yet-unproven, it's going to be really damn hard for the 6 second guy to lead the team.

Game_Over
07-22-2008, 03:25 AM
I dont know wat to think about this team anymore. they really need to make a move BEFORE the season starts.

I agree, if we are keeping AI for one more year it can't be a throw away year!! Losing Nareja was ok not great but I can deal with, losing Camby also with nothing but the hope Nene will be healthy is too much ohh and we still have crappy PG's!!

Crunchy12489
07-22-2008, 03:33 AM
To answer the thread title question, I think we're only partially rebuilding. When you retain 4 of your 6 most important players (Melo, JR, K-Mart, Nene) I really don't think you can call that a total rebuild. More like a restructuring. AI's presence (or absence) on any team is going to make a huge splash, so getting him or losing him is a move that inevitably has a huge impact. Although I don't think losing him will be wholly negative. We'll lose some scoring punch no doubt, and just some of the "fun factor" since he's such an exciting player to watch. But at the same time I think our offensive flow, our team defense and the overall team chemistry will improve almost overnight. Those are less noticeable, but very important, improvements that should go pretty far in offsetting losing AI. Camby on the other hand, I don't think losing him will make that massive of an impact if Nene is actually healthy. That's a big if, and the biggest risk of moving Camby. But if Nene can perform at spring 2007 level consistently, and maybe improve some in the process even, a starting frontcourt lineup of Melo-K-Nene should still be really damn formidable.

As to the other question you're kind of implying - whose team is this, anyways? - Iverson paid a lot of lip service to the Nuggets still being Melo's team when he first showed up in Denver, but he really never played basketball on the court in a supportive capacity. He basically just continued playing the same way he did in Philly (with the exception of some notable games, particularly games in which he mostly played point), dominating the ball and ultimately seizing the leadership mantle of the team regardless of the words coming out of his mouth. I would partly blame Melo for this, because he's hardly been assertive in fashioning himself as a true team leader, especially with his defensive laziness (as one columnist put it once, how can his teammates take it seriously if he gets in their face about their defense when he's not up to par in that area himself?). But the ball domination is the most important factor here, I think. If you have two stars on a team, and one averages about 14 seconds with the ball each possession while the other averages about 6, and the 14 second guy is a primary ball handler while the 6 second guy is not, and the 14 second guy is a legendary NBA veteran while the 6 second guy is basically still as-yet-unproven, it's going to be really damn hard for the 6 second guy to lead the team.

That's ****in cold man.

I'd least expect it from you.

Game_Over
07-22-2008, 04:01 AM
That's ****in cold man.

I'd least expect it from you.

I don't get what was cold, he said his absense would be a huge splash and losing him would have a huge impact?? is that bad to say??

Crunchy12489
07-22-2008, 05:11 AM
I thought he was being sarcastic...

I think the Nuggets are fine... We just need to land some younger and taller guards... OH.. who can play D

Game_Over
07-22-2008, 05:14 AM
I thought he was being sarcastic...

I think the Nuggets are fine... We just need to land some younger and taller guards... OH.. who can play D

I agree and who can shoot a three!!!

DenButsu
07-22-2008, 05:34 AM
I thought he was being sarcastic

I wasn't. I meant exactly what I said.

AI is a bigtime impact player. Much of that impact is positive, some of it is negative. But the main point is that his joining a team will make a huge impact, and likewise his departure from a team will make a huge impact as well. And that's because he's a bigtime impact player. That's not a negative judgment of him, or even necessarily a positive judgment of him, it's simply an acknowledgment of the dominant presence he has on any team he plays for and the forcefulness of his personality - the latter being something I highly respect.

Hell, a very strong argument could be made that we made the playoffs in the 2006-07 season specifically because of Iverson joining the team and carrying it through the 15/9 game stretch when Melo/JR were suspended. That's a textbook example of the kind of positive impact he can have. And then that very playoff series against the Spurs is pretty much a textbook example of him having a negative impact, as he totally undermined the offensive flow and team chemistry.

On the whole, I'd expect his departure to have more of a negative impact than positive in the short term. You can't just replace a guy like that. But you can use the resources left to the team (his expiring and/or his trade value) to build, and I do believe in the longer term that his departure can open the door for a team that plays a more organized offensive style and an overall better team defense than the one we have now, and it can probably be a team that can duplicate the last 50 win season but additionally have more success in the playoffs.

You can disagree with some or all of my opinions on AI, but please don't accuse me of being "cold". I have a lot of respect for him, and I don't criticize him lightly. I'm absolutely a fan of his, and if he's still on the team next season I'll still be rooting for him. But in part I'll probably still be frustrated when he continues to do the same frustrating things.