PDA

View Full Version : Will Al Harrington opt out in 2009 and leave $10 million on the table?

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
If the Warriors don't trade Al at the deadline in Febuary 2009, I think he opts out in the summer. I thought Baron would opt out, because although he opted out of $17 million, he'd secure a longer term contract worth at least $50, apparently it came out to $65 million.

I see Al doing the same thing, opting out of $10 million and looking for a long term deal that will pay him $6-7 million/year for 5 years so a net value of $30-$35 million. Al will still be only 29 years old next summer, so seeking 1 more long term contract is in his best interest. In addition, next years free agent class is pretty weak, headed by Boozer along with Iverson, Kidd and not sure who else.

If Al's $10 million comes off the book next season, we will have a total of $16 million of cleared space when we add Adonal's $6 or so million.

$16 million would be enough to sign Boozer and perhaps Jason Kidd as well. Kidd has always stated that he would love to play in the Bay. Next year would provid him with the perfect opportunity to do so.

Kdirt
07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
All depends what kinda of season Harrington has. If he has a solid year then yeah he will probably opt out for a contract that likely rides out his career. However, if he has another sub par year then hes gonna take the money.

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, but if he opts out at 29, I think it's better than waiting until he's 30 and has an even worse year getting fewer minutes behind Maggette, Randolph, Turiaf and Wright.

It's 50/50, but a smart man would opt.

In fact now that I consider all the free agents in 2010, I take it back, this guys is definitely going to opt!!!

It's not a question anymore, he's gone in summer of 2009. The supply of free agents is low in 2009 in 2010 supply is insane. He'd have to compete other 3's such as Jax, Thomas, etc. and that's off the 2nd tier off the top of my head. In 2010 it's the big guns; Wade, Bron, Amare, Bosh, etc.

Thatruth32
07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
its possible... but harrington is not what most would consider a star.. and he probley will never make 10 mil a year if i was him take your last big pay off (10 mil) and see what happends next year in FA... i just dont see him getting a huge contract either way so i dont think opting out really helps him... unless he has a GREAT YEAR THIS YEAR

jsand3030
07-21-2008, 05:18 PM
If the Warriors don't trade Al at the deadline in Febuary 2009, I think he opts out in the summer. I thought Baron would opt out, because although he opted out of $17 million, he'd secure a longer term contract worth at least $50, apparently it came out to $65 million.

I see Al doing the same thing, opting out of $10 million and looking for a long term deal that will pay him $6-7 million/year for 5 years so a net value of $30-$35 million. Al will still be only 29 years old next summer, so seeking 1 more long term contract is in his best interest. In addition, next years free agent class is pretty weak, headed by Boozer along with Iverson, Kidd and not sure who else.

If Al's $10 million comes off the book next season, we will have a total of $16 million of cleared space when we add Adonal's $6 or so million.

$16 million would be enough to sign Boozer and perhaps Jason Kidd as well. Kidd has always stated that he would love to play in the Bay. Next year would provid him with the perfect opportunity to do so.

Are you kidding? Of coarse hell opt out. he wasn't happy at all last season and isn't going to be happy this year.. Regarding, Kidd, hell no! I would throw money at Boozer though-hes everything we've needed on this team to make us relevant again.

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 05:19 PM
If Turiaf at 29 can get 5 years $50 million and Turiaf can get 4 years $17 million. MP 5 years $24 million. I think Al can get 5 years $30 million. Once again the net worthis $30 million over 5 years as opposed to 1 year with $10 million.

Opting out will help Al Harrington. Al he has to do is ge a contract that pays him more than $10 million, which will be available.

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Are you kidding? Of coarse hell opt out. he wasn't happy at all last season and isn't going to be happy this year.. Regarding, Kidd, hell no! I would throw money at Boozer though-hes everything we've needed on this team to make us relevant again.

Your saying you wouldn't sign Kidd for $3 million a year for 2 years? The guys old, but if we have Boozer, all we need is a PG. Kidd would be the perfect PG for all our talent. He is a leader and an unselfish creator, which is why he was asked to be on the olympic team.

The guy almost averaged a triple double last season. I would love to have Kidd on this team.

danbuc0101
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I am just hoping that AL gets traded now cause i dont see the talent in him at all. And it would save alot of money this year and next.

CaughtInAHustle
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
why on earth would harrington want to opt out... who would pay him $10 mil a year after this?

cali72888
07-21-2008, 05:54 PM
I am just hoping that AL gets traded now cause i dont see the talent in him at all. And it would save alot of money this year and next.

would save alot of money, but i say we let him play this first half of the season and we showcase his skills so we can get the best value for him.
and harrington is very skilled, not to many big men can come into the league with zero three point shot and develop one by pure hard work and effort. he is a very skilled player and most guys his size do not have the footwork he does.

smearthebeard
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Garlic Breath:

Finallyy an intelligent post on your behalf. It was word for wrod my post on GSoM 2 weeks ago. Great job plagerizing!

$16 million would be enough to sign Boozer and perhaps Jason Kidd as well. Kidd has always stated that he would love to play in the Bay. Next year would provid him with the perfect opportunity to do so.[/QUOTE]

smearthebeard
07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Boozer? He is really a small forward. He is barely 6'8" and plays facing up to the basket. He is NOT a power Forward. He is a big 3 but a small 4. He trives in Utah with 2 huge players on the floor at the same time Okur and Andre K.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I think the dubs try and trade him before the trade deadline. If he stays, I just dont say him walking away from 10 mil.. He will not get close to receiving a multiyear deal near that type of money.
I see him as a mid level type player...

I would not sign Kidd unless its for the veterans minimum. He cant score anymore, thats one thing we need out of our pg.
Dont get me wrong, he would still be valuble to us if he dishes out an average of 9-10 dimes and gets 6+ rebounds a night...

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Go back to GSoM. And stop taking credit for stuff that's not yours.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Boozer? He is really a small forward. He is barely 6'8" and plays facing up to the basket. He is NOT a power Forward. He is a big 3 but a small 4. He trives in Utah with 2 huge players on the floor at the same time Okur and Andre K.
Come on Garlic fry.... do you eeven watch the games?

He may be 6'8 but he bangs with the other powers in the west.
Okur is always standing at the 3 point line. Andre is not even big at all, tall but he doesn't make Utah's line big... Boozer does... Andre is usually defending someone at the free throw line until someone drives.

Boozer will be high in demand if he opts out...

Kdirt
07-21-2008, 07:40 PM

You are quite wrong my friend. He is a power forward. He is a banger, he gets boards, he plays much bigger than his size. I dont think there is much argument here. He was the reason we couldnt beat the Jazz in the playoffs. Boozer might get a max contract like Brand if he comes off another big year.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-21-2008, 07:41 PM
lol garlicboy... I keep noticing this dude croce 99 deleting your post all the time.. Not only in this thread...

ULT WARRIOR408
07-22-2008, 05:52 PM
I Think That The Warriors Are Gonna Move Him During The Season Sometime If Randolph Steps It Up