PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith to heat possibly

heatfan123249
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
What that leaves for Smith is returning to the Hawks or pushing hard for a sign-and-trade to a club such as the Miami Heat, who could offer forward Shawn Marion in return.

from probasketballnews.com

I think this is very possible, the only problem I have is Smiths( soon to be contract), even though Marion and Smith in my opinion play the same game Josh Smith is way younger, if this trade goes down, great trade

superkegger
07-21-2008, 04:29 PM
meh. i have a feeling its going to drag out even longer and we're going to continue hearing that hes going all over the place.

durqtitan
07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Is Beasley gonna play the 3? i keep hearing trade rumors for the heat, but all of them give them guys that play the same spot.

superkegger
07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I would assume that regardless of if its marion or smith, it would be more of a matchup thing that who plays the 3 or the 4. Beasley and marion can play either, it will just be who they matchup against better, and marion will probably take the tougher cover.

_Sn1P3r_
07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I would assume that regardless of if its marion or smith, it would be more of a matchup thing that who plays the 3 or the 4. Beasley and marion can play either, it will just be who they matchup against better, and marion will probably take the tougher cover.

I agree. It's all about match-ups since they could play either positions.

JordansBulls
07-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Is this going to be a sign and trade involving Marion?

SwaggaIke
07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't see Smith suiting up in Atlanta next year. I don't know if Pat would pull the trigger on a deal for him either though. It seems as if he wants security in '10 to give Wade his max deal and bring in another all star. But what if Smith turns into an all star? A core of Wade, Smith and Beasley wouldn't be half bad. I think we could make some noise in a year of 2 w/ a core like that.

Rockets Fanatic
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I dont see why the Heat should do it, They should keep Marion and sign Boozer in the offseason. Smith is not the low post scorer like they need

SwaggaIke
07-21-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't think Boozer is worth max money. And that's what he'll want.

zezak
07-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I dont see why the Heat should do it, They should keep Marion and sign Boozer in the offseason. Smith is not the low post scorer like they need

I agree that they need a low post threat but, the FO tried to sign Marion to a longer term deal. If they can get some one like Marion whos younger not even in his prime yet for less money and locking him up with DWade it would be worth it.

The Heat don't need another superstar, they have one in Wade, they just need to support him with talent. Which Smith has plenty of.

rico
07-21-2008, 05:43 PM
heat are gonna have a dynasty with their player set :( grr

chicagowhitesox
07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
The Heat would love that to happen. They get a younger clone of Marion who will remain with the team longer.

marques724
07-21-2008, 08:54 PM
That would be great for the heat but I don't see that happening

Vinny642
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Heat got like 3 SF/PF.... they need a PG and a C.
Beasley, Marion Haslem(he is kinda unersized). and if they get Josh Smith they'd have four.

MiamiHeat
07-21-2008, 09:08 PM
yea we need a C badly, blount aint gonna cut it

daleja424
07-21-2008, 09:55 PM
works ok for both teams... The heat could take on smith and claxton for marion...freeing up some space for atlanta while leaving them fighting for the playoffs this year...and the heat get a good young core to work with. Although It doesn't address Miami's need at PG and C...who CARES! Thats probably the best 2,3,4 (wade, beasley, smith) combo in the league in a year or so... They add a defensive center along the way and I could play pg for this team and it would make the playoffs...

Derick713
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
There have been persistent rumors about Josh Smith possibly wanting out of Atlanta and wanting a lucartive long term deal. Many teams are either saving cap space for next season or waiting for the 2010 off-season when they can pursue James, Wade, and Bosh. It doesn’t make sense for the Hawks to trade Smith for Marion because of the age factor and the fact that Atlanta should get multiple picks and young players in return. It seems like Smith has no intention of resigning with Atlanta and would rather become an unrestricted free agent next off-season. It just doesn’t make sense to me how the Heat has the assets to land a young star like Smith. If the Heat are offered a chance to deal for Smith the question will become weather the Heat would pay him want he wants and tie up more cap space before 2010. Josh can play power forward with the best example being the great job he did against Kevin Garnett in the playoffs.

Mario Chalmers/Marcus Banks/Chris Quinn
Dwayne Wade/Daequan Cook/
Michael Beasley/James Jones
Josh Smith/Sean Williams
Stromile Swift/Joel Anthony/Alonzo Mourning

Trade Haslem to the Nets for a package starting around Sean Williams and Stromile Swift.

Derick713
07-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Can the Hawks risk trading Josh Smith to a divison rival for a player in his 30's and no first round pick included in the deal since the Heat still owe the T-Wolves a first round pick from the Ricky Davis deal. If the Hawks don't pay there franchise player they will lose a lot off fans and a lot of buzz around the city. The Hawks can afford Smith but yet they won't commit to him the way he wants.

The Griz are the only team that I can think off that could pay Josh Smith what he whats not to mention the fact that the Griz have the assets to make a deal with the Hawks.

Derick713
07-22-2008, 12:08 AM
The only way the Hawks should trade Smith is if they get a young franchise type talent like Ellis or Biedrins. If the Hawks can get an unprotected lottery pick from the Sonics or Grizzlies then they might they have to make that move if they feel they have no shot at retaining Josh Smith in the long run.

BigEric
07-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Heat got like 3 SF/PF.... they need a PG and a C.
Beasley, Marion Haslem(he is kinda unersized). and if they get Josh Smith they'd have four.

The Heat aren't in DIRE need of a PG. They really need a center. They do have too many players in the 6'7"-6'9" range.

Derick713
07-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Josh Smith has proven to be a great defender. He did a great job on Kevin Garnett. Although the Heat does have an undersized frontcourt with no real starting center. Mark Blount is more off a power forward and Joel Anthony was an undrafted player who is still a project. Alonzo Mourning won't be back until the mid point of next season if he decides to return. The only two decent center type players Diop and Turiaf are off the market which leaves Biedrins who is a restricted free agent. K- Brown sounds interesting but it sounds like a bad idea. The Heat may have to deal Haslem to a team like the Nets for Stromile Swift and hope to get Sean Williams thrown in.

Shawn Marion/James Jones/Dorell Wright
Michael Beasley/Stephan Lasme/Earl Barron
Udonis Haslem/Joel Anthony/David Padgett