PDA

View Full Version : Street for Set-up?

R to the G
07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
The arrival of Masterson will be watched closely on a number of levels. If he succeeds, it could prevent the Sox from trading for a reliever at the cost of top prospects. Colorado’s Brian Fuentes and Oakland’s Huston Street are two names frequently mentioned, and while the former intrigues the Sox, the Rockies’ asking price is prohibitively high.

Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2008_07_21_Justin_Masterson_given_shot_to_relieve/srvc=redsox&position=3)

I like Street but the question remains; could he move from the closers role to set-up? We all could guess the asking price for Street would be high.

y2shoes
07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Would be awesome but who do we have to give up and can we keep him for 2 to 3 years. I dont think oakland will give him up unless we give up so big time prospects. Someone said we should look trade for Fuentes and one of Colorado's young catchers and we give them some prospects but atleast we will have a top catcher to take over more duties next year to help ease Varitek.

RedSoxRok34
07-21-2008, 05:14 PM
closer with a history of brilliance mixed with inconsistency coming to boston midseason to pitch the 8th inning, coming from a low-key atmosphere to the boston pressure cooker? i think we tried this last year, and his name was gagme, excuse me, gagne. id prefer to avoid a repeat, especially at the high asking price beane would have. as i mentioned in another thread, bowden/lowrie/hansen would be the starting point

Tragedy
07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
We don't need Street, but we do need another reliever. I'm in favor of telling Delcarmen and Hansen to go sit in the minors and learn how to pitch.

We don't need to make a major deal like last Deadline with Gagne, just someone that can get the job done. Marte is a lefty that can get the job done, but won't be a major trade. Do it.

y2shoes
07-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Kansas City have a pretty good reliever that we could probably give up a hitter and maybe hanson for?
Just a suggestion i could be wrong of course.

Tragedy
07-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Kansas City have a pretty good reliever that we could probably give up a hitter and maybe hanson for?
Just a suggestion i could be wrong of course.
Soria?!?!?!

I'd take it in a heartbeat, but it'd never happen.

y2shoes
07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah we would probably have to give up Lars, one of the pitchers either masterson or Bowden and probably lowrie but that might be to high of a price to pay even though the last two years we have drafted a few short stops so maybe the trade would work.

goldglove212
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
assuming they would trade either of them what do you think the asking price of fernando rodney or joel zumaya would be?

y2shoes
07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
THis could be the guy he is having a good season and he is a lefty which would help so i think he might work plus i dont think he would cost as much as kansas city's star closer.

Tragedy
07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
assuming they would trade either of them what do you think the asking price of fernando rodney or joel zumaya would be?
Zumaya: A ton. He's never healthy, so why bother?
Rodney: A bit less than Zumaya, but he too has injury issues. Why bother?

goldglove212
07-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Zumaya: A ton. He's never healthy, so why bother?
Rodney: A bit less than Zumaya, but he too has injury issues. Why bother?

just throwing it out there...what about betancourt from the indians since their going no where fast

agureghian
07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
as an A's fan, id love to trade Street to you guys for Masterson and a high SS prospect :D

sboyajian
07-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah we would probably have to give up Lars, one of the pitchers either masterson or Bowden and probably lowrie but that might be to high of a price to pay even though the last two years we have drafted a few short stops so maybe the trade would work.

Lars, Masterson or Bowden and Lowrie.. those are the kinds of deals you put together for #1 SP's.. not MR's.

quiksilver2491
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
just throwing it out there...what about betancourt from the indians since their going no where fast

I would love Betancourt (especially after he owned us in the playoffs last year) but he is going to cost a lot with all the problems the Indians have in the bullpen and I might be wrong but weren't the Mets pursuing him?

bosox3431
07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Soria?!?!?!

I'd take it in a heartbeat, but it'd never happen.

Plus if Im not mistaking they locked him up long term this year, I may be wrong though.

RedSoxtober
07-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Plus if Im not mistaking they locked him up long term this year, I may be wrong though.

He got signed to a Delgado like deal -- very cheap early ($8.75M guaranteed 2009-11) then very expensive at the end ($8.75M annually in 2012-14). The last three, though, are options.

Lord Byron 34
07-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I hope that the Red Sox go nowhere near Huston Street. If I were Theo, I would not trade with Oakland because it seems like Billy Beane gets the better of every trade. If anything, I would call Beane, ask who he wanted for Street, and then make those prospects untouchable.

The Intimidator
07-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I hope that the Red Sox go nowhere near Huston Street. If I were Theo, I would not trade with Oakland because it seems like Billy Beane gets the better of every trade. If anything, I would call Beane, ask who he wanted for Street, and then make those prospects untouchable.

I agree completely. Not only would we have to overpay for Street, but he would make no positive contribution to this bullpen, imo.

Street's 2008 numbers: 40 appearances, 2-3, 4.09 ERA, 17/22 SV, 44 IP, .238 OBA

Those numbers scream inconsistency, and when you are looking for a steady bridge to Papelbon, a guy like Street is not the guy you want to bring in.

R to the G
07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
The Red Sox are in the running for Oakland closer Huston Street, but Athletics GM Billy Beane told the Street that "it'll take a deal to knock his socks off" for the righthander to be traded, reports the San Francisco Chronicle. Other than the Red Sox, the White Sox, Tigers and Brewers are also interested in the 24-year-old, who has 94 saves and a 2.84 ERA in his four seasons in the majors. Oakland GM recently told the Globe's Nick Cafardo that he wouldn't consider moving Street unless he received a lot in return.

Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/)

To be honest....at this point I don't see Street being traded before the deadline, and as RedSoxtober mentioned before some teams believe he could be hurt.

PapelbonLester
07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
yea guys.....hes 24. i would personally trade bowden for him. id probably throw in another soxprospects top 20 prospect. a 2.84 era with 100 saves at 24... put him as the set up man and see how good the sox become. this type of deal would put us right back up there with those halos and clearly make our bullpen way better

tc2deuce
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
lets do it!......we have to get something done ASAP!

BostonFan 53
07-30-2008, 01:26 PM
I'd wan't him. Even if he is hurt, look at the numbers he's put up in the past. a 4.00 era isn't that horrible. If we could get him I would jump all over it if we don't give one of our big name prospects.